Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #103 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I could be in, depending on the time we do it.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #105 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Today's going to be really tight with work and school, but somewhere around 6 PST is probably the best chance for me.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #144 (isolation #2) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Orzhov owns. Literally.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #171 (isolation #3) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Soulbond appears to renew it's trigger every time a new permanent enters the field. That is, when the Soulbond creature enters, you pick who it's paired with, and then you can change that pairing any time a new creature enters the battlefield. Plus, it appears to have no downsides, meaning that it's basically just a creature that buffs itself and another, which could be neat.

Miracle just looks really gimmicky. "Heart of the Cards" bullshit. You can probably use things like Ponder to game it, but other than that, it's real luck based.

And Reck, that was bullshit. Technically, Prey Upon is not combat damage, but it specifically says "Each creature does damage equal to its power to the other", and Bonds of Faith gives a straight +2 bonus to power. It's a static bonus, so it applies at all times for all purposes, not just in combat, so it should have applied to Prey Upon. Next time, call a judge.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #179 (isolation #4) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm wondering how much design space they really need. They already have all the mechanics they need to make fun sets. The problem is that they're trying to force new mechanics in every set to improve sales, and the result is stuff like Miracle. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to build around the Miracle Time Walk, but I don't foresee that ever becoming tier 1.

I think they'd have a lot better success with fun, balanced sets, if they'd chose a theme, and use existing mechanics to build to it, rather than trying to invent new stuff every set.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #186 (isolation #5) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't disagree that control decks need a boost, though. Creature power creep has gotten really bad in recent sets, while traditional control power has been standing still, and the result is that aggro is just more playable. I haven't actually played since the last block, so my conception may be off, though. The real problem is, I don't see how you could bring control back to standard without really overpowering it again, and then you're just dealing with overall power creep.

If it were me, I'd go back to the Ravnica/TSP power level. That was a really good balance, but maybe a bit control/combo skewed.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #195 (isolation #6) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The best times for magic is when all three parts of the triumvirate are viable. The problem with a lot of recent standards, is that the power creep has blown one part of the aggro-control-combo triangle out of proportion with the other two. Magic is always most fun when it's a game of outplanning your opponents in deckbuild, and outthinking and outplaying them over the table. When it's just "Play Jund or lose", or "Play Faeries or lose", it becomes less about who's got the most skill, and more about who's got the most money to spend for the top cards, and the luck to draw well in games.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #221 (isolation #7) » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I hated RotE. The Eldrazi cards were poorly thought out, in my opinion. I don't mind Annihilator, so much as the additional abilities that come on them.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #225 (isolation #8) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 222, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 221, Sudo_Nym wrote:I hated RotE. The Eldrazi cards were poorly thought out, in my opinion. I don't mind Annihilator, so much as the additional abilities that come on them.

I hated Annihilator. No fun at all. Level up was ok, but I preferred it on Figure of Destiny because of the flavor.

Annihilator never mattered. By the point in the game an Eldrazi got down and could stick, it was an auto-scoop anyway. The only real problem was the "secondary" abilities, because you got them on cast, rather than on entering the battlefield, which was horribly unbalanced in favor of ramp.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #243 (isolation #9) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

RDW is basically the only application for Vexing Devils, since it's the only deck that will be remotely happy to settle for just 4 damage. If you could redirect the damage to a creature, then I might see some other application for it. As is, it's meh.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #250 (isolation #10) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I was in favor of reprinting L-Bolt, I just don't think they did it in the right context. L-Bolt is a very useful tool for countering creature-creep. They just needed to back it with decent permission, rather than more burn.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #255 (isolation #11) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If they're going to continue the creature creep, they may as well bring back Counterspell. Hell, bring back Power Sink, for all I care.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #257 (isolation #12) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

This is the first time I've really looked at the spoilers. Here's some notes, and I encourage others to do the same:

As a man who likes Anthem effects, I have an irrational liking for Angel of Jubilation.

Avacyn looks really sweet, if you can cheat it out. Otherwise, bleh.

I have a love hate relationship with blink effects, so I'll have to wait for the rest of the set to see what I think about those.

Arcane Melee is a card to build an EDH deck for, but meh in normal play.

Demonic Taskmaster could be neat for UB control, or would be, if Delver wasn't just better.

Griselbrand and Harvester of Souls are interesting creatures for EDH, but terrible for normal play.

Thunderous Wrath is excellent, if you can manipulate your library to draw it when you want. Deck manipulation isn't great in Standard, and even worse for Red. Not convinced it's worth building too, if you don't have Sensei's Divining Top.

The Timmy in me loves Craterhoof Behemoth, but I'm hardpressed to think of a use for it in Standard. Might be a neat tool for Elfball in Legacy, though.

If I get a magic program downloaded again, I'll probably build an EDH deck around Gisela.

Not sure what Sigarda is supposed to be good for. Are there a lot of sac effects after you hit 5 mana?

Angel's Tomb is really neat, if you're a token deck. Moonsilver Spear is too expensive.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #262 (isolation #13) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

A lot of the Soulbond cards strike me as being good for limited. I mean, Wingsplicer is pretty meh in constructed, but an evader who can also give evasion to another creature seems pretty sweet for limited.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #271 (isolation #14) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 270, Glork wrote:
In post 268, Thestatusquo wrote:A 1/1 for 2 with deathtouch that gives another creature deathtouch. You don't think thats good? Do you even play limited. I didn't say it's a bomb, but its very very playable.

Meh. It only keeps its own deathtouch as long as the other guy stays alive, too. Unless the format is removal-starved, most Soulbond guys wind up being overpriced vanilla dorks.

Remember that a creature with Soulbond can change its bond every time you play a creature. So even if you lose the partner, you can just play a new one.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #273 (isolation #15) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's no miracle of clarity as is, to be sure. Current wording is:
You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.
It's clear that the creature with Soulbond has to pick an unpaired creature when it enters the battlefield; and that the Soulbond creature can bond with a creature just entering the battlefield, if it's previous partner died. What isn't clear is if the Soulbond can only update it's bond if it's currently unbonded. RAW would suggest that it can- note that it doesn't say the Soulbond creature itself must be unbonded to change it's bond when a new creature enters the battlefield, but that clearly seems to be the intent.

There's another weird area, too. The wording seems to prevent two Soulbonds from bonding with each other. If I have an unbound Nightshade Peddler, and then play Wingcrafter, Wingcrafter entering the battlefield triggers Soulbond's partner selection for both creatures, and have them target each other. I get to pick the order they resolve in, so say I have Wingcrafter resolve first. Then both Peddler and Wingcrafter get flying. Then Peddler's Soulbond tries to resolve, but auto-counters on resolution, because Wingcrafter is no longer unbonded, making him an illegal target for Soulbond.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #278 (isolation #16) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If it were constructed, I'd totally agree with you, Ice. But we're talking about Limited, where even minor utility (especially with removal potential) can be valuable. I've played Sealed with Pacifism and Brainspoil as my only removal; a creature that basically enchanted another to have Deathtouch is worth a look.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #281 (isolation #17) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 279, GreyICE wrote:Worth a look, sure. It's definitely not unplayable. But limited bomb, great card for limited? Nah. I'd be fine with having one in my 23, maaayyyyybeeee 2 if I had a lot of tokens.

First of all, nobody was arguing that it was a bomb. Shea even said that he didn't say "bomb". So, learn to read, noob.

Secondly, there's no real point deciding in advance what you're willing to take in limited. It's limited. You take what you can get.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #284 (isolation #18) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

YES I'LL DECIDE WHAT TO TAKE IN ADVANCE FOR I HAVE CLAIRVOYANCE AND ALREADY KNOW THE CONTENTS OF EVERY PACK I'LL SEE AT EVERY LIMITED EVENT I'LL EVER ATTEND ALSO I PAY FOR DRAFTS USING THE MANY LOTTERIES I WIN EVERY DAY WITH MY REMARKABLE POWER TO SEE THE FUTURE NOW GET OUT OF MY WAY BEFORE I KILL YOU WITH MY MIGHTY BRAIN
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #286 (isolation #19) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Except you deliberately misinterpreted me. I wasn't saying that you shouldn't be aware of cards in the set, or their general utility and power level in advance- that's what we've been talking about. I was just saying that prior to actually opening the packs and seeing what's there, you can't act on any real pick strategy. Every draft is going to have it's quirks, and sometimes something like Peddler is going to turn out to be awesome. Most of the time, it's middling. But you can't just say "Nah, I'll never take it"- it's not Chimney Imp.

My main concern is that I doubt the current language for Soulbond doesn't seem to accurately represent Wizard's intentions, based on a (shallow) read of the Daily MTG article. Prior to knowing what the final version will actually look like, I have trouble really judging where something like Peddler will fall in the set's power level. It's also entirely possible that, in the full context of the set, just having the Soulbond keyword will make it really good, regardless of what it actually does.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #288 (isolation #20) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Rhetorical device. Not that it matters.

Anyway, anyone play EDH?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #291 (isolation #21) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Oh, toughen up. We haven't called you anything worse than we've called each other at some point :)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #301 (isolation #22) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's the main problem with Thunderous Wrath- to get the most out of it, you need to play it immediately when you draw it, regardless of whether you want to or not. Sometimes that won't be a problem- if you're playing burn, you can just aim for the dome. But as a source of creature removal, it's not that much better than an L-Bolt; it's got a bit more reach, but I wonder how often you'll really need the extra damage for targetting a creature.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #302 (isolation #23) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 300, GreyICE wrote:
In post 298, xRECKONERx wrote:uh... coolstorybro?

You've been playing for 18 years, congratulations

I've been playing for 2 weeks

i fail to see your fucking point

My point is I think I'm getting lip from people who can't put their money where their mouth is.

u mad bro?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #304 (isolation #24) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 303, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 276, xRECKONERx wrote:do you not get that Soulbond can be applied to any new creature entering the battlefield as well?

so they remove it on their turn; you can immediately play another creature (or even the same one if it's a removal-to-hand) and get the soulbond back

they blow a removal and you are only set back on the deathtouch ONE turn

omg so much lip

how dare i question the unyielding authority of GreyICE by simply stating my opinion

He's been playing since Fallen Empires, yo. Don't you dare fuck with him!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #322 (isolation #25) » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

A planeswalker that costs 5 should do more, I think.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #358 (isolation #26) » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just got MTGO back. I'm Sudo_Nym on there. Building $30 werewolves.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #370 (isolation #27) » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If you take it to mean "You can go a bit bigger, since it's slower", then it's fine- just don't get carried away. If he means "You can throw whatever you want in there and don't worry because it's limited lolz" then it's really stupid.

Also, my werewolves keep getting beaten by dudes who have money.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #384 (isolation #28) » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I got sick of my werewolves. Now I'm playing RDW. Seems to be much better.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #391 (isolation #29) » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm here, I'm just invisible on AIM.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #393 (isolation #30) » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We only played one round, so far. But I beat Grimm 2-0. I assume this means I win Reck for a weekend?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #397 (isolation #31) » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Are we continuing after the first round? Because then somebody will need to contact me, after my timeout.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #401 (isolation #32) » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think pack 2 was a weak pack, though. Almost my whole deck came from packs 1 and 3.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #402 (isolation #33) » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Next time, we need better organization.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #482 (isolation #34) » Wed May 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Salvation has Sneak Show as Tier 1, as well.

Elfball sucks, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #505 (isolation #35) » Tue May 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've got a UR Delver deck that'll love Bonfire, and Entreat is just goodstuff. Some of the others could be good in the right circumstances, but I'm not holding my breath. It's really hard to trigger Miracle when you want it in the current standard.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #512 (isolation #36) » Sat May 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Playing AVR Sealed. First time I've done limited. Got a kinda shitty pool, so my deck is the 23 cards I opened that didn't suck. WGR aggro; got some decent creatures, some tricks, Moonsilver Spear, and 2x Thunderous Wrath. Of course, after 1 match, I've lost both games to mana flood.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #513 (isolation #37) » Sat May 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I win match 2 by upgrading my curve. Live and learn, I guess.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #514 (isolation #38) » Sat May 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Really good games in match 3. Lost in g3 thanks to Zealous Conscripts and Pathbreaker Wurm.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #517 (isolation #39) » Sat May 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Match 4 opponent has a billion Soulbond creatures. The lifelink, hexproof, and double strike ones. Really annoying.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #518 (isolation #40) » Sat May 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Bladed Bracers+Moonsilver Spear wins Match 4 for me.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #519 (isolation #41) » Sat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And Match 5 lost to Bruna.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #531 (isolation #42) » Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, Bone Splinters usually sucks outside of Limited, unless you're running creatures that want to get sacrificed, like Black Cat. This is a loner deck, so it wants to only have one creature in play at a time, so it runs things like Bone Splinters over Doom Blade so it can get rid of the extras. This makes Wingcrafter a really odd choice, since it only works when it's Soulbonded, which shuts off Homicidal Seclusion and Predator's Gambit. As a general rule, Loner decks thrive on control (since otherwise you'll get killed by aggro decks that can overwhelm your one creature) and especially kill (or you'll get overwhelmed by control decks, who drop a bigger creature than you do).

Some tips: You really want a lot of board control effects, because the Loner strategy means you won't be advancing your own board; thus you'll want to sabotage your opponent's board as much as possible. Mana Leak, Dissipate, and kill spells are your friends. Remember that keywords don't stack with each other, so 2x Homicidal Seclusion gives +6/+2, but only one incidence of lifelink. Predator's Gambit and Bone Splinters both suck, since you have fewer creatures, they'll be eating more of your opponent's kill; thus, you're going to have trouble having a creature to sac to Bone Splinters, and Predator's Gambit becomes a waste if they just kill what it's attached to. Best bet is to run something like Mortarpod, then Black Cat, Soulcage Fiends, and Perilous Myr; play them, sac them, get the effect when they go the graveyard, and use them as beats if necessary. Demonic Taskmaster is good for a Loner deck, but Lone Revenant is far too slow. Something like Invisible Stalker or Delver may be better, just because they come out faster, and you can apply loner bonuses to them earlier.

But the most important part is going to be the board control.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #563 (isolation #43) » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

/in
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #668 (isolation #44) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd be cooling with jumping in for a draft in the near future; I work all day tomorrow, but tonight or the weekend would be awesome.

In post 667, Timeater wrote:Wouldn't magic be so much more fun without mana

Type 4
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #677 (isolation #45) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Green/White sucks. UG is how you win drafts.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #758 (isolation #46) » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, I'm kinda looking forward to Exalted stuff. I'm always a fan of grindy control decks, even if I'm not the best pilot. Moorland Haunt, Midnight Haunting, Lingering Souls, and Timely Reinforcements to stall out, and then Sublime Archangel to finish with the weenies... Good times.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #803 (isolation #47) » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I just reinstalled MTGO; was thinking about attempting a first real draft.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #809 (isolation #48) » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Not tech savvy to post a screen shot on the fly, but got a Boros Human deck. 2x Riot Ringleader, 2x Goldnight Commander, 3x Thatcher Revolt. Won R1 2-1 against UG annoying combat tricks.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #810 (isolation #49) » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:03 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

R2 opponent flakes out, and I get a time limit win into the finals.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #811 (isolation #50) » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So there's the deck. Won the finals against a 5-color durdle deck. Game 2 was awesome, though- had Kruin Striker, Riot Ringleader, and Goldnight Commander in play against a Craterhoof Behemoth. Then Thatcher Revolt for the win. Exactly what I pictured when I was drafting.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #817 (isolation #51) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

My sister's a magic fanatic, and she made a few, too:
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #821 (isolation #52) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 820, xRECKONERx wrote:fuck sudo, let's get her to stick around

:(
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #833 (isolation #53) » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:51 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I could in for that.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #836 (isolation #54) » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And there's Untrod seen off :)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #842 (isolation #55) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I also found it really hard to beat double Latch Seeker + Lifelink soulbonder.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #844 (isolation #56) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Elguad Shieldmate is another underrated one, I think. Evasive creatures are already hard to deal with, and Hexproof removes a lot of answers. There were a couple of times I had Righteous Blow in hand and still died to Latch Seeker because of Hexproof.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #849 (isolation #57) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 848, AGar wrote:
In post 845, Thestatusquo wrote:its not hard to imagine passing avacyn... You make it sound like it should never be done, but I think it should be done like at least half the time.

Especially pack 3, that's really not all that unsurprising.

Elgaud underrated? I don't think anyone says it's a bad card, but it's not a bomb.

Latch Seeker gives me nightmares in Limited.

I think Elgaud's strength is that it provides a lot of protection in the decks that want it. Like, in an aggro deck, you don't really want Elgaud unless you've got Lumberknot. But in UW, Elgaud's ability to make an angel bounceproof can seal games.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #882 (isolation #58) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So here's the deck I'm current running in constructed:

14x Swamp
4x Dragonskull Summit
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
4x Diregraf Ghoul
4x Gravecrawler
2x Fume Spitter
4x Blood Artist
4x Bloodflow Connoisseur
4x Geralf's Messenger
2x Phyrexian Metamorph
3x Mortarpod
3x Brimstone Volley
4x Tragic Slip
2x Bone Splinters
2x Killing Wave

SB:
3x Despise
4x Nihil Spellbomb
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Torch Fiend

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Sudo_Nym on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #884 (isolation #59) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I wanted it, but I couldn't afford it; it's an expensive rare :( I've got Bloodflow Connoisseur in as a budget option until I can get my hands on some Aristocrats.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #886 (isolation #60) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's on MTGO. 13 tix each for Aristocrat. Bonfire would be sweet, too, but that's even more expensive.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #900 (isolation #61) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 897, Shadow1psc wrote:Alright, so this is where I ended up in SoM-less reanimator. It draws well and doesn't often leave me without something to do. I'm either ramping up with pilgrim and draws, pitching key things with Scholar (who can also beat face, but probably shouldn't be), or even hardcasting Sigarda to kick things off. I think dissipate helps a bit, but it can be slow, so I'm not sure if I'd keep it.

Tips on the mana base (it seems to work much better than my Green/Red/Black experiment) or early game improvement?

deck here: http://mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/173178

If it were me, I'd want to splash red over green- gives you extra stall power with Arc Trail/Pillar of Flame, and gives access to Desolate Lighthouse and Faithless Looting, which seem really good. Plus, Forbidden Alchemy seems better than Amass the Components for this deck. Dissipate seems like it's too slow; I'd run Lingering Souls for chump blockers in that slot instead.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #902 (isolation #62) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:18 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Lingering Souls isn't really dead late game- it still chump blocks. But as a card that keeps you alive until you can cast Unburial Rites, it's definitely superior.

Faithless Looting is difficult, since it's CD on the first cast, and CN on the flashback, but it digs and ditches pretty well. Tracker's Instincts could be good, too, but has the chance to wiff.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #905 (isolation #63) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Shea's suggestion is a good one; you generally only need about 4 targets, and the rest should be defense and dig. Timely Reinforcements is good; Midnight Haunting is good, too. Dissipate I think is going to be too slow in the meta; when you're facing down a lot of aggro, Dissipate stops one threat if they don't have Cavern of Souls. Lingering Souls and Timely Reinforcements can block over several turns until you get your fatties out.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #921 (isolation #64) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Skaab is really mediocre, unless you're really taking advantage of the mill. I was sorta working on a casual deck that used Armored Skaab to set up Splinterfright and Boneyard Wurm, but outside of that, I doubt I'd play it.

It may work in reanimation, I guess, but I'd play Thought Scour first.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #941 (isolation #65) » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sudo is Simic for lyfe
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #943 (isolation #66) » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Fine, Golgari is an acceptable hold-over, but still, Simic was awesome for EDH.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #955 (isolation #67) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Mill is generally never viable. Either you have to play Combo with a mill finish, or TurboFog. UG Self-Mill, however, could be quite interesting as a rogue deck. But I think we discussed that already.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #957 (isolation #68) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've tested TurboFog a bit, and it's actually a reasonable tier 2 deck, but it won't be when it loses Rites of Flourishing. There's enough Fog effects in the current standard to support it. UG Self-Mill is reasonable, too, but it's basically an aggro deck when built right- Splinterfright, Boneyard Wurm, Ghoultree, and Kessig Cagebreakers are a real beating if they're set up.

I have seen some control decks do alright, with Lingering Souls, Timely Reinforcements, and Pristine Talisman, but none good enough to be tier one.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #981 (isolation #69) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So here's a deck I'm thinking about, since I wanted a modern deck and I have a bunch of the cards already:

24x Swamp

4x Bloodghast
4x Gravecrawler
4x Butcher Ghoul
4x Geralf's Messenger
4x Blood Artist
4x Smallpox
4x Smother
4x Geth's Verdict
4x Inquisition of Kozilek

SB:
4x Duress
4x Black Sun's Zenith
4x Doom Blade
3x Nihil Spellbomb

Inquisition instead of Thoughtseize for budget reasons, and no Liliana for the same reason, but the deck still feels "off" to me. Anybody with some insight?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #987 (isolation #70) » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I would be worried about Martyr-Proc if anybody played it. I've actually changed up the decklist somewhat since posting this to run more discard and Land D, which helps against Tron, since I can destroy the Tron pieces and force-discard Expedition Maps. I haven't played against Storm, but like I said, I'm now running Inquisition/Duress/Raven's Crime/Rotting Rats, which should hopefully give me some life. Splinter Twin usually doesn't play many creatures, so sac effects usually work well against them. Same with Melira combo, but in either case, there isn't much I can do when they go off. Against Jund, Inquision and Smother hit a lot of stuff, and Ghost Quarter wrecks their mana since they run very few basics.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1000 (isolation #71) » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, I'm playing an M13 prerelease event.

Match 1, game 1, I had to mull to 4 to get a land in my hand, then was stuck at one land all game and lost.

Match 1, game 2, I had to mull to 4 to get a land in my hand, then was stuck at one land all game and lost.

Match 2, game 1, I had to mull to 4 to get a land in my hand, then was stuck at one land all game and lost.

Match 2, game 2, I had to mull to 4 to get a land in my hand, then was stuck at one land all game and lost.

Whoever says 17 lands in a 40 card deck is right is a horrible person.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1005 (isolation #72) » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I was on MTGO, so the RNG was shuffling on my behalf.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1007 (isolation #73) » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It wasn't the greatest deck, but I thought it was a pretty solid BG aggro deck- cracked a couple Murders and some decent creatures. But I just couldn't draw land to save my life.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1012 (isolation #74) » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Same. I built White Weenie, GW Slivers, and Orzhov for Pauper. Though I may want a look at your list, since my Sliver and Orzhov decks seem a bit flat, if you're amenable.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1013 (isolation #75) » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Are StarCityGames and TCGplayer.com worthwhile places to buy cards from.

Also, my EDH deck is in Dear Azami this week!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1034 (isolation #76) » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just got back from my first face-to-face MTG event, and got 4th. Not bad for a Blood Artist deck that forgot to buy any Blood Artists.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1055 (isolation #77) » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I honestly don't think Slumbering Dragon's going to work while Vapor Snag is a thing. You have to protect the Dragon if you want to be able to swing with it, which means counterspells or hexproof. The other problem is that, even against decks that don't run a lot of bounce or kill, you're still looking at getting overrun by RG Ramp, Zombies, or Humans by the time it's online. You really have to stall the game out if you want it to work.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1067 (isolation #78) » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1066, dramonic wrote:Neither, I need people I can draft with <.<
I mean, I have no drafting experience, but I have a decent grasp on deck-building >.>

http://draft.bestiaire.org/draft.php?d=16
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1098 (isolation #79) » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just got back from the game store; got my first tourney win, then cracked Tamiyo.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1123 (isolation #80) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd be interested, I'm just not sure how it would work.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1127 (isolation #81) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Man, I just uninstalled MWS because I couldn't be arsed to fix it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1132 (isolation #82) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm thinking:
4x Gravecrawler
4x Diregraf Ghoul
4x Rakdos Cackler
2x Rix Maadi Guildmage
4x Blood Artist
4x Geralf's Messenger
2x Rakdos, Lord of Riots
3x Falkenrath Aristocraft

2x Ultimate Price
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Brimstone Volley

23x Lands

I'm not sure how to cut the lands up for that. I want everything to generate B so that I can always drop my one-drops, and can drop Messenger on turn 3, but I think I'm going to need more than 8 red sources.

Here's another build I'm considering is:
4x Gravecrawler
4x Diregraf Ghoul
2x Slitherhead
4x Blood Artist
4x Lotleth Troll
4x Geralf's Messenger
3x Dreg Mangler

4x Abrupt Decay
4x Dreadbore
4x Brimstone Volley

7x Swamp
4x Woodland Cemetery
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Dragonskull Summit
4x Blood Crypt

This one has a few more tricks, but is trickier manawise.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1145 (isolation #83) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah. Sealed is "You get six booster packs and unlimited land, make a deck."
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1161 (isolation #84) » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, serious question, because I keep going back and forth: Rakdos Zombies, Golgari Zombies, or Jund Zombies?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1166 (isolation #85) » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1165, bv310 wrote:
In post 1161, Sudo_Nym wrote:So, serious question, because I keep going back and forth: Rakdos Zombies, Golgari Zombies, or Jund Zombies?

What does Red give you? Green? What would you have to cut if you went for Jund instead?

Red gives Rakdos Cackler, Falkenrath Aristocrat, Rakdos, Pillar of Flame, Brimstone Volley, and Dreadbore. Green gives Dreg Mangler, Lotleth Troll, Slitherhead, and Abrupt Decay. If I went Jund, I'd probably have to cut a lot of the burn, and probably the Cackler and Slitherhead.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1169 (isolation #86) » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, to be fair, if I stay Rakdos, the deck quickly becomes "BR Aggro that has Blood Artist tricks and a Zombies subtheme", rather than true BR Zombies. Slitherhead is pretty bland, but Scavenge is really nice. The feeling I'm getting is that BR will be faster, while BG will be more resilient, and BRG will have more tricks at the cost of being a lot slower.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1183 (isolation #87) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just got back from my store's prerelease. Went 3-3. I picked Azorius, and almost all of my wins came from Archon of the Triumvarant, or Growing Ranks with a bunch of the token generators I pulled in green. Almost every loss was because of mana flood. Event was won by Izzet, which I didn't think was that strong.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1191 (isolation #88) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The new M base sets are the first ones to really be constructed with the idea of limited, and M13 is the first one to be properly balanced for it. I also love that several of the newer sets were designed with an eye towards EDH, as well.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1206 (isolation #89) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I found in the prerelease that populate is actually really good. But then, my pool had a bunch of cards for it, so I don't know if one case can generalize.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1244 (isolation #90) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So here's the list I just put together for the first standard tourney at the shop next week:

4x Gravecrawler
4x Diregraf Ghoul
3x Rakdos Cackler
4x Lotleth Troll
4x Geralf's Messenger
3x Dreg Mangler
22 Creatures

4x Tragic Slip
4x Dead Weight
4x Rancor
4x Ultimate Price
16 Non-Creatures

4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Woodland Cemetery
14x Swamp

4x Golgari Charm
4x Duress
4x Tormod's Crypt
3x Victim of Night
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1246 (isolation #91) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Thanks, Reck. I like the main board, though I wish I could find a spot for Blood Artist. And I'm not sure about the SB; it's very basic, and I'm thinking some combination of Deathrite Shaman, Desecration Demon, or Underworld Connections may deserve a spot.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1251 (isolation #92) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:15 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've also got Jarad, Lich Lord. Worth it as a miser one-of?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1276 (isolation #93) » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Mentor of the Meek could be really good for card draw.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1286 (isolation #94) » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sudo is the king of 5 player late night whiskey drinking mafia scum drafts.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1289 (isolation #95) » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Jace, the Mind Sculptor isn't standard legal.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1301 (isolation #96) » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, I'm beginning to feel like Zombies just isn't good enough to get there. I think I'm going to build the Rock.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1302 (isolation #97) » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Ha. Built a White Weenie Pauper deck for my sister, and she went undefeated with it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1304 (isolation #98) » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

4x Benevolent Bodyguard
2x Gideon's Lawkeeper
2x Guardian of the Guildpact
3x Kor Hookmaster
3x Kor Skyfisher
1x Porcelain Legionnaire
4x Razor Golem
4x Suture Priest
4x Holy Strength
4x Moment of Heroism
3x Oblivion Ring
4x Pacifism
21x Plains

SB:
4x Apostle's Blessing
4x Prismatic Strands
4x Solemn Offering
2x Guardian of the Guildpact
1x Gideon's Lawkeeper

The decklist is a bit weird. She didn't tell me about it until the night before, so I had to use what was lying around. If I had my choice, I'd be running Journey to Nowhere over Pacifism, Bonesplitter over Holy Strength, and probably Unmake instead of Moment of Heroism. Plus, Loyal Cathar, Icatian Javelineers, and Squadron Hawk should be in the creature base, over Porcelain Legionnaire, Kor Hookmaster, and Gideon's Lawkeeper.

I wasn't there to observe, but she tells me that she beat Affinity, Wee Dragonauts, and Infect with this thing, so it couldn't have been that horrible.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1310 (isolation #99) » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I haven't paid much attention to t8. Just at my store, it did fine for a while after rotation, where most of the people were playing RDW, Rakdos Aggro, Selesnya Aggro, or Zombies of some variety. It's only the last few weeks that people have gone to the midrange and tempo decks, and that's when Zombies really started to struggle for me.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1334 (isolation #100) » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, maybe we should try pooling our online resources together. If we can get some sort of card sharing program together, it'll cost less for us all.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1349 (isolation #101) » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Boros looks really nice. I feel that in a limited format, Battalion could really shine.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1351 (isolation #102) » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That'll be nice for dealing with the TurboFog player.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1355 (isolation #103) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1353, Thestatusquo wrote:Is thragtusk even that big of a deal in the format right now? I mean, its still obviously a good card, but the best decks in the format right now all seem to be some kind of red aggro, and the card that they scoop to more than thragtusk is sphinx's. (which this also helps against.)

I see very little reason not to be playing red right now.

Thragtusk is still a big deal, in that it's the only way that big control decks are still workable, and even there, Sphinx is still the business card. Red has been the key to the format ever since Thundermaw Hellkite started beating Thragtusk and Resto.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1357 (isolation #104) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Red is just the business right now, since it's got all the cards that beat the rest of the metagame. Between Pillar, Thundermaw, and Ash Zealot, they can hit just about everything.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1359 (isolation #105) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Rakdos Aggro can still be fast enough, with all that unleash and burn. This new burn card may even obviate the need for Hellkites in your 60. And there'a always Pyreheart Wolf for alpha strikes, if you need to.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1362 (isolation #106) » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Vraska is nice in Golgari rock decks, but not really fantastic. I would trade for cards, myself.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1365 (isolation #107) » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

What do people think of the Electromancer Storm deck?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1375 (isolation #108) » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1374, bv310 wrote:
In post 1365, Sudo_Nym wrote:What do people think of the Electromancer Storm deck?

The Modern version or the Standard Epic Experiment list?

The standard list, that uses Past in Flames, Battle Hymn, and Krenkos command to set up a giant Burn at the Stake or Devil's Play.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1389 (isolation #109) » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

This is the decklist I'm talking about:

4 Augur of Bolas
4 Goblin Electromancer
4 Battle Hymn
2 Burn at the Stake
2 Devil's Play
4 Faithless Looting
4 Goblin Rally
2 Increasing Vengeance
4 Krenko's Command
4 Past in Flames
4 Reforge the Soul
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Island
10 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls

SB:
4 Cyclonic Rift
4 Izzet Charm
2 Curse of Echoes
2 Pithing Needle
2 Magmaquake
1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1410 (isolation #110) » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Been getting back into MTGO, since I don't have time to get to the shop much. Twoo's Stinkweed Zombies has been doing well for me, against everything but Cloudpost. I' m thinking of running something like Choking Sands or Evil Presence, but wouldn't mind advice.

@reck: Usually, RDW puts up good results while everyone else is busy experimenting, if you just want a deck until it settles down again.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1419 (isolation #111) » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's also Skullcrack. And possibly more- Aurelia's Fury could be very nice as a sweeper/finisher if you splash white.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1464 (isolation #112) » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I just build Pauper 8Post. Does that make me a bad person?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1489 (isolation #113) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In my experience that there are decks that are fun, and decks that win. Playing a deck that's fun is better than playing a deck that wins, but winning with a deck that can win is better than losing with a deck that's merely fun. Winning is what makes things fun, and especially so when you're paying to be in the tournament.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1491 (isolation #114) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, it's always entirely possible that there's some as yet undiscovered synergy that could make a good deck from previously unplayed cards- Omnidoor is proof enough of that. And if somebody wants to play around with a brew and try and make something happen, that's always cool. I wouldn't try to take it to a tourney until I was sure I'd found something that works, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1497 (isolation #115) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Here's the deck I'm currently running in pauper. I'd really like some feedback, since I'm hoping to start playing in events:

7 Island
5 Mountain
3 Izzet Guildgate
4 Cloudpost
4 Glimmerpost
4 Prophetic Prism

1 Mnemonic Wall
4 Mulldrifter
2 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Ulamog's Crusher

2 Mystical Teachings
4 Preordain
2 Compulsive Research
1 Mysteries of the Deep
3 Flame Slash
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Electrickery
1 Electrostatic Bolt
1 Harvest Pyre
1 Rolling Thunder
1 Staggershock
1 Magma Spray
1 Prohibit
1 Deprive
1 Condescend
1 Ghostly Flicker
1 Capsize

Sideboard
4 Earth Rift
3 Hindering Touch
3 Dispel
1 Electrickery
4 Curfew

I've got a lot of 1-ofs in the main to tutor for with Teachings, and what I think is a reasonably large removal package. 1x Electrostatic Bolt instead of the 4th Flame Slash so I can grab it with Teachings. Ghostly Flicker is capable of some mean tricks. Sideboard is a little weak, since I couldn't afford the Blue and Red blasts, but Curfew does a number against Infect, Stompy and Aura Stompy, and Earth Rift for the mirror.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1503 (isolation #116) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I feel like Crypt Ghast at four opens up big black mana potential. Just not convinced that it doesn't do anything farseek into gilded lotus doesn't do better.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1508 (isolation #117) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1504, Fate wrote:Falkenrath Aristocrat+Augre Spree

HMM??

HNNNNNNNNNNNNM??????

Doesn't work. Indestructible doesn't protect against 0 toughness.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1513 (isolation #118) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd cut Guttersnipe and all the white, and run Krenko (as a one-of), Goblin Rally, and Increasing Vengeance. Maybe Devil's Play as an alternate wincon that can flashback. If you want, you can splash blue, which gives you card draw, as well as Goblin Electromancer, which could enable some sort of combo deck with Battle Hymn and Past in Flames.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1517 (isolation #119) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Don't get me wrong; Guttersnipe looks really fun. But if I wanted a fun Guttersnipe deck that was also good, I'd forget the "Make dudes" plan, and instead play a few efficient creatures backed by a lot of burn spells.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1519 (isolation #120) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The more I think about it, the more I like UR. Guttersnipe has synergy with Delver, in that both want a deck with a high number of spells. Some sort of UR shell, with Delver, Guttersnipe, and maybe Electromancer and/or Stromkirk Noble to get some quick damage in, then stuff like Searing Spear to finish with burn that gets a boost off Guttersnipe. Could even use token makers like Krenko's Command and Talrand's Invocation without stretching your colors to get dudes that also trigger Guttersnipe, and you get draw spells so you can keep your hand up. And you get Izzet Charm, too. Maybe Desolate Lighthouse to get rid of extra lands for more gas.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1532 (isolation #121) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Comes into Play borders on unfair, too- I don't mind creatures having powerful abilities, because usually, you at least have the option of removing the creature before it becomes an issue. Come into Play abilities don't have that option, unless you're in blue- and there are some many ways to recycle that ability that it can rack up an advantage the opponent can't stop.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1535 (isolation #122) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

No cip ability was horribly broken on its own. It was always about the fact that they combine better and combs more easily than they seem in a vacuum. It doesn't help when Wizards compounds it with blink.

On cast has that potential, too, except that there aren't many good cards yet with good on cast abilities, outside of the elf. So far, the rest is either too overcosted, or too random.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1536 (isolation #123) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1534, chamber wrote:
In post 1533, GreyICE wrote:Gradual advantages are almost always fair. I have a tough time thinking of a comes-into-play mechanic that was inherently broken except Palinchron (even Worldeater dragon wasn't about what happened when it came into play). Chunking out the game with expensive incremental advantages is usually fun.

Now on-cast mechanics can be absurd. Bloodbraid elf?

Primeval titan, in the context of valakut, had a pretty unfair citp ability, it was really close to just being 'I win the game'.

Yeah, that's exactly what I' m talking about. Calamity on its own isn't too bad, but the way it combines with stuff like Titan and Scapeshift illustrates my point. And now we've got Thrag, Huntmaster, and Resto in standard.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1540 (isolation #124) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, how expensive a card should be to be balanced always depends on the surrounding environment. My main issue with the game is the speed of it- it feels very much like games either end quickly, or stretch to eternity, with little in the way of middle ground.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1566 (isolation #125) » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Wild beastmaster's power isn't checked until the trigger resolves. So what matters is the power he has then, not when the attack was declared.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1583 (isolation #126) » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's basically what you have to remember about playing against Omnidoor- Doorway exists only because its a wincon that happens to lineup with the stuff they do anyway- Mana accel, Chromatic Lantern, and Temporal Mastery. They just just as easily win without it, it just takes a little longer. The only way to beat Omnidoor is to take away Sphinx's Revelation and/or Gilded Lotus.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1591 (isolation #127) » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd be tempted to try something with lifelink, just because they'll eventually run out of Skullcracks to counter sustained lifegain. Chalice of Life, Rhox Faithmender, Drogskol Reaver, or something.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1594 (isolation #128) » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I have a rules question:

My opponent has Raging River on the field, and I use Baton of Morale to band Rainbow Efreet and Glen Elendra Archmage. My opponent then Lightning Bolts my Efreet, and I sac the Archmage to counter, but he Red Elemental Blasts my counter, so I use Alter Reality to changle "green" instead of "red", but that does nothing, so I phase out the Efreet, but he uses three Shelldock Isles to put Humility and 2x Opalescence into play. So now what happens?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1660 (isolation #129) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Play Simic with a Gruul splash. Went 3-3, but feel like I deserved better. The deck was awesome, and a lot of fun to pilot; a lot of evasion shenanigans with Madcap Skills and Bloodrush rolled over people. Of the three matchs I lost, 2 were because I got mana screwed (no joke, 5 times today, I kept a three land hand, and then drew no more lands), and one to the guy who dropped Obzedat and Guildmage on every game. I had a tough time dealing with bombs, in general, since the only removal spells I opened in my packs was a one-of Pit Fight, and a one-of Totally Lost. No Mugging or Smite or anything, which means that I tended to fold in games where I couldn't outaggro them, or one game with the Dimir Unblockable/Cipher combo.

Gatecrash sealed feels a lot more fun than Ravnica sealed did, though, so it was fun all around, anyway.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1663 (isolation #130) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Extort is also a lot more powerful than it seems at first glance. The fact that it can buy you the time you need to stabilize is really nice for a format like limited where having a perfect curve is uncommon anyway.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1686 (isolation #131) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Why isn't tarmogoyf banned yet? Is it because a 5/6 for two is fair, or because wizards doesn't want to loss of people who spent $300 for a playset?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1693 (isolation #132) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Seems like a good set to do a 2HG
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1785 (isolation #133) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Red's three drop options are what? Pyreheart Wolf and more 2 drops? 2 gets you Ash Zealot, plus some unleash and haste guys, and 4 gets you to Hellrider, but 3 is kinda blank if you don't play with the Wolf.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1788 (isolation #134) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

A card I've wanted to build around for a while is Kessig Cage Breakers. Probably could fit it in a deck with Splinterfright and Ghoultree, I guess.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1790 (isolation #135) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The most interesting idea I've seen for Kessig Malcontents is as the finisher in the Angel of Glory's Rise combo deck. Boros splashing black could be interesting, with aggressive pressure early and a combo finish for reach. Don't know that it'd be really competitive, but it'd probably be fun.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1802 (isolation #136) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:14 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1795, Thestatusquo wrote:

As much as I like TWoo, I think this deck is just a bad version of the junk reanimator deck that was popular right after return came out. How exactly is red better than thragtusk/mulch/trackers instincts/mana dorks/craterhoof?

I don't think it is.

Guild Feud is a neat way of getting past Rest in Peace, but I'm not convinced that it's actually better. Giving my opponent free stuff isn't something that pleases me in a card.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1805 (isolation #137) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, but Mayor risks flipping, thus turning off the bonus!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1811 (isolation #138) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's a piece of the disparity that's hard to learn, though. Loxodon Smiter is a 4/4 for 3 that sees no play. Dreg Mangler is a 3/3 haste for 3 that does see play. Why Haste is worth that extra point isn't immediately obvious. Of coiurse, in this case, there's also the fact that the deck that would want Smiter has several better options, and the deck that wants Mangler doesn't.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1812 (isolation #139) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1810, mykonian wrote:
In post 1808, Thestatusquo wrote:Also, on a completely different line of discussion, I am pleased with the revisions to the trigger rules.

what happened to them? I fear I'm not exactly up to date with mtg news.

Depending on the tournament, triggers need to be declared with various strictness- so if you forget to declare Exalted, you just don't get that boost, and you aren't allowed to back up and redo. Same if you forget to put Rancor back in your hand. At FNMs, you're generally allowed to go back and redo a trigger, if it doesn't otherwise affect the game state, if you catch it before your next turn; in higher level tourneys, you just miss out.

This means that even if an ability doesn't say "may", you can forget that it triggers, and you're just SOL. The caveat is that the opponent is allowed to remind you, if the ability is a detrimental one.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1819 (isolation #140) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1813, Thestatusquo wrote:Nope. That is in fact exactly what they just changed away. A trigger only becomes missed at the point a player is forced to make a decision. That means if you attack with exalted triggers and they block forgetting about the triggers, they still happen.

Well, then I've been completely misplaying it. We've been playing that a trigger becomes missed when you pass priority after the trigger should have happened.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1820 (isolation #141) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

@Fate: Ash Zealot, Gore-House Chainwalker, Rakdos Shredfreak are all better for human gruul aggro deck than Hamlet Captain. And Ulvenwald Tracker is human removal on a stick.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1823 (isolation #142) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Wild Beastmaster seems like it would be sweet with Bloodrush, but you've got to be careful with the timing.

chamber wrote:
In post 1819, Sudo_Nym wrote:
In post 1813, Thestatusquo wrote:Nope. That is in fact exactly what they just changed away. A trigger only becomes missed at the point a player is forced to make a decision. That means if you attack with exalted triggers and they block forgetting about the triggers, they still happen.

Well, then I've been completely misplaying it. We've been playing that a trigger becomes missed when you pass priority after the trigger should have happened.

That was the proper way to play it until this update. Of course it was also only for professional/competative REL not FNM/prereleases/casual.

Right, but I've also been playing with the update that mandatory abilities can be missed like that, too. So it's been a crazy mishmash.

Hell, I mostly play on MTGO anyway, which doesn't allow you to miss triggers in any event.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1829 (isolation #143) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm having an idea for a Wild Beastmaster deck that uses Master Biomancer and Mayor of Avabruck
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1840 (isolation #144) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:23 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Slight gear shift, but I have a casual Dimir deck that uses cards like Invisible Stalker, Keymaster Rogue, and Dimir Keyrune to carry Shadow Strikes. May give ideas for that Dimir deck you mentioned.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1841 (isolation #145) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1839, Nuwen wrote:No clue. Wizards cut off this guy's retail account too, which blows. The store is a one man shop and I assume MtG brings in a lot of his weekly income.

One injustice at a time though.

If he's been blackballed, then he was either breaking the organization rules, or was caught fixing fnms.
Last edited by Sudo_Nym on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1845 (isolation #146) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with Pit Fights. I'd just go with Domri and Tracker, and a ton of blood rush. Just try and maximize Domri's plus one ability.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1856 (isolation #147) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd play a tournament, as well.

Fate: Commander is fantastic if you're into it; it's all about doing nutter things that you can't get away with in ordinary magic. It's a format where Thragtusk is too small to be worth playing.

If you're not into that, and you're really desperate to eliminate the luck element of magic, you can try Mental Magic.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1861 (isolation #148) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1858, Fate wrote:
In post 1856, Sudo_Nym wrote:I'd play a tournament, as well.

Fate: Commander is fantastic if you're into it; it's all about doing nutter things that you can't get away with in ordinary magic. It's a format where Thragtusk is too small to be worth playing.

If you're not into that, and you're really desperate to eliminate the luck element of magic, you can try
Mental Magic.

not sure if srs?

The thing with Commander is, at least with the article I readon it, there are even MORE "you have to have these duh" meta cards, like a bunch of must-include artifacts n shiiit. Because hell, if you have 60 different cards they can't ALL fit the same gimmick, you're gonna need some staple mana artifacts and things.

Though I have been looking for a way to put papa Rakdos in a deck <.<

What's wrong with Mental Magic?

Seriously, though, most of the articles are written for people who are Spikes playing between rounds at PTQs and shit. If you're just playing a casual game with friends, it's more than acceptable to just use whatever cards seem like fun.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1865 (isolation #149) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Way we play it, you only need to match the Converted Mana Cost, but if you name a spell that's already been used this game, you lose.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1873 (isolation #150) » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Which is why I don't like it for a tourney. Type One is super fun if you're sitting down with another serious player, but it's not fun with a semi-casual, or in a tourney where you care a lot about not getting 55% t1ed.

Modern or Legacy would be cool; I lean slightly towards Modern, but I don't have a strong opinion on that. We could try getting a MYOS completed.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1887 (isolation #151) » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1885, Thestatusquo wrote:the third advantage is that it is not absolutely busted like real MYOS.

Unfortunately, true. ISD/IA/M10 give you Delver, Snapcaster, Traft, Force of Will, Counterspell, Mana Leak, Rune Snag, Oblivion Ring, and Ponder. Practically unbeatable in the format.

RYOS would be interesting, in that you couldn't netdeck, and probably be forced to use cards that aren't seen outside that format. I imagine we'd use combined legacy and block ban lists?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1889 (isolation #152) » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd assume we'd take the same blocks and sets legal in myos, and randomize them. Now we decide if we want one format, or give everyone a different random standard to build with.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1899 (isolation #153) » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Invasion and onslaught? I look forward to durdling my phyrexian durdles.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1911 (isolation #154) » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't think mind grind is worth it. Straight mill effects aren't that good. I'd want another Hands of binding and anesthetized. If you're trying to feed on the graveyard for consuming aberration, then duskmantle guildmage and psychic strike could both be nice.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1916 (isolation #155) » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Cipher is certainly a potential deck, in that there exist cards like Dimir signer and invisible stalker that can carry them. The problem is that outside of hands of binding, none of the cipher cards seem very good. Aggro Mill could be a deck, but you want cards that do other things, and mill as a bonus. Psychic Strike and Thought Scour are good examples. I think you then have to forget milling for victory, and instead use milling as a tool to feed cards like Death's Approach and Consuming Aberration. Then, you want to increase effects that do bad things when you mill, like duskmantle guildmage. The problem with Consumming Abberation as a finisher, though, is that it has no protection and no evasion, and ub can't reliably accelerate into it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1920 (isolation #156) » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Experiment One is amazing for any R/X aggro deck that can curve. In that deck, it can consistently be a 2/2 on turn 2, and a 3/3 on turn 3.

I kinda want to make an evolve tempo deck, that uses Experiment One and the 0/1 Evolve Flier with value creatures backed by permission, with Prime Speaker Zegana and/or Master Biomancer at the top. Think I may work on that, after I finish my RYOS deck.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1927 (isolation #157) » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Playing on MTGO, I've seen Naya Humans decks that go t1 Champion of the Parish, t2 Burning-Tree Shaman+Lightning Mauler, smash for 7. Seems like the meta is really going to speed up.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1930 (isolation #158) » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Clearly.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1934 (isolation #159) » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:23 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like Desolate Lighthouse in any blue red deck. I'd also prefer to ditch Curiosity and Mizzium Skin. Curiosity is bad for drawing, and has antisynergy with Delver and Guttersnipe. Straight draw spells seem better. Syncopate seems like it should have a place.

It's a little gimmicky, but Guttersnipe with Burning Vengeance and a lot of flashback seems neat.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1937 (isolation #160) » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

But, but... it seems like it should be so good! Load up with burn and draw, drop Burning Vengeance, then Past in Flames, and gg!

I knew it was too good to be true. But I still feel like Guttersnipe/Goblin Electromancer with the Talrand's Invocations, Krenko's Commands, Goblin Rallys into Battle Hymn and Burn at the Stake should be a deck, if only a tier 2 one.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1941 (isolation #161) » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Currently, I'm obsessed with trying to make Dimir Mill-Tempo. Dimir Charm should be able to flip Delvers consistently, and psychic strike/thought scour can both mill the opponent, turning Jace's Phantasm into a 5/5 flyer for 1. Add in Invisible Stalker to carry Hands of Binding into the redzone for tempo. Then, back the whole thing with Rewinds, Syncopates, and the like. That's bound to be decent, right?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1959 (isolation #162) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

For draft, I assume? I'd probably watch a GTC draft.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1965 (isolation #163) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

He means Intangible Virtue, which gives +1/+1 and Vigilance to all creature tokens.

And Vraska is pretty bad. Her middle ability is good, but her +1 is mediocre, and her ultimate doesn't win the game.

Since you're in G/W, Trostani may be a good call. Colors may be too demanding. Call of the Conclave should be really nice for a token based deck, though.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be really tempted to run Seance or even Cackling Counterpart. Probably not good tech, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1974 (isolation #164) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sometimes, you also have to realize that you can't play around everything. If an opponent is holding up Azorius Charm to bounce a guy, he's going to 'get' you with it eventually. The trick is to provoke it when it's of least harm to you- so you have to consider how much it's costing you to play around it against how much it's coating him to hold it up, and how bad it is for you when he does play it out. Matches against control tend to be full of that kind of math.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2017 (isolation #165) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

A cube draft tourney could be a neat follow-up to RYOS.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2027 (isolation #166) » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Or just to print individual codes on the cards themselves.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2031 (isolation #167) » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 2030, Thestatusquo wrote:Hey, while yo guys are arguing about the logistics, you could read the link I just posted to the actual already established logistics of the recently established program that spawned these rumors.

Or not. Arguing is fun, I guess.

No, you shut up!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2047 (isolation #168) » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

They brought back Lightning Bolt. Just waiting on Ancestral Recall.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2050 (isolation #169) » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Guttersnipe with Discard looks really interesting.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2059 (isolation #170) » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Evil Twin does gain 5 life if you copy Thrag with it, because it enters the battlefield as Thragtusk, not as Evil Twin. So that works.

The only problem I have with Soul Ransom is that the opponent has the chance to get rid of it built into the card. I keep looking at that line and have trouble convincing myself that they're that fantastic. I'm also unsure about Staticaster in the MB without Nightshade.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2085 (isolation #171) » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Unsummon is also a lot more flexible, in that it can bounce more than just Guttersnipe, if necessary. Cackling Counterpart and Ghostly Flicker don't do anything but protect Guttersnipe; Negate and Izzet Charm can largely duplicate that functionality, outside of Abrupt Decay and Supreme Verdict.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2092 (isolation #172) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:36 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Assuming your opponent doesn't know the card is a ridiculous strategy, since a good opponent probably knows all the cards anyway, and a smart opponent is aware that he's allowed to read the card in any event. So the strategy really only works against opponents who are bad enough or inexperienced enough that they don't know the cards, and dumb enough that they won't ask to read it; and if your opponent falls into those categories, you should be able to just beat them with a better card anyway.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2094 (isolation #173) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Possible; I generally tune you out, though, so I'll never know for sure :)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2096 (isolation #174) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Kicked your ass.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2103 (isolation #175) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Winning is fun.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2149 (isolation #176) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, but Reach is a defensive ability, and Red has always been about a more aggressive defense. Red's flying hate usually takes the form of stuff like Flametongue Kavu.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2198 (isolation #177) » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:36 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like it, but I think I'd rather have Dissipate than Counterflux. Exile is probably going to be more useful than Overload.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2210 (isolation #178) » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't know what you're seeing AGar. It's an instant speed cantrip that comes back for +1 card, and it's cheap and synergizes with Guttersnipe. The only thing I would consider replacing it with is another draw spell, or something like Forbidden Alchemy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2260 (isolation #179) » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Deck thinning is mathematically irrelevant.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2263 (isolation #180) » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

What I mean is, fetches don't thin enough to be worthwhile, if all you're doing is thinning. Some decks really like the shuffle, and some decks need the fixing, so you run fetches for that reason, and get some thinning as a bonus. If you don't need either, I'd rather run Basics over Wilds, since not coming into play tapped is likely to be better than minor thinning.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2266 (isolation #181) » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If you've got fetches that don't require coming into play tapped, then sure. You're getting a minor benefit for almost no cost. The Zendikar/Onslaught fetches have the advantage of grabbing duals, in addition to not tapping the land, so they're basically free thinning if you don't care about the life. We're talking about the current fetch, though, and evolving wilds costs tempo instead of life, which is more valuable.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2311 (isolation #182) » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:50 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, you can build a decent competitive deck for like 10 tix. If you actually want to win events, though, you're looking at 100+, same as any other format. It's slightly better, now that Storm is out, but MonoU and Cloudpost are still around.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2313 (isolation #183) » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's been a while since I've priced everything, since I haven't been on MTGO in months. I remember that Mono U Delver was around 125 when I left, though. Maybe Cloud of Faeries has gone down, now that Storm isn't bleeding some?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2315 (isolation #184) » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You can buy the avatars from bots, I think, but I'm not sure how to get a game.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2340 (isolation #185) » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You can build cheap mono red, assuming you don't want hellrider or ash zealot or thundermaw.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2345 (isolation #186) » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's probably been mentioned before, but if you want to build a good budget deck, you start from the bottom, not the top. You build a deck that runs on cheap card, not start with a top deck and cut expensive stuff. You can't say "I'm building budget UW, so take a list and cut Snapcaster and Geist." That just gives you a clunky mess. You start by choosing a deck that doesn't need the expensive cards in the first place.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2379 (isolation #187) » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Reck it is April and you still have a santa hat avvie what is the deal
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2408 (isolation #188) » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And if it were the case that people picked their decks arbitrarily, and it just happened to work out that the better players just happened to wind up with certain decks, then the fact that Aggro is struggling would just be randomness intervening. Here in reality, however, the fact that aggro is weak and good player don't play aggro are facts which are not independent of each other. Part of what makes players good is that they play good decks. And if the best players say "Aggro isn't worth playing", that's significant.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2515 (isolation #189) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The fuse is like a 5 mana Deadly Allure that doesn't flashback. Armed is a fairly good pump, but how many pumps see constructed play? Dangerous is basically Shiren of Life's Roar, which has applications only in very specific archetypes, and pure stompy isn't really viable right now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2518 (isolation #190) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Because comparison to similar cards is completely worthless as a technique? The only way to really know how valuable a card is is to actually play with it, which is not an option open to me for obvious reasons. In lieu, I'm capable of making inferences from magic's long and not especially secretive history of competitive decklists, many of which are posted right here on this very internet. And even the briefest glimpse will show you that neither effect which Armed/Dangerous offers sees much play- not even aggro is particularly interested in playing pump spells, outside of Bloodrush, and the only time in recent memory that a Shiren of Life's Roar effect got played was in stompy decks hoping to overrun before a bad lategame locks them out. That said, Shiren of Life's Roar itself is used in Pauper for the Green Stompy decks, and the reasonably similar Deadly Allure was a reasonable sideboard against Hexproof. However, UW Delver is no longer format-ubiquitous, and Deadly Allure had the advantage of being cheap and having Flashback, both of which are advantages which Armed/Dangerous does not share.

In constructed, Armed is always going to be weaker in general than straight out kill, which is frequently available for the same cost, and Dangerous is always going to be overcosted and situational, and there's little reason to believe that paying a ton of mana for two mediocre effects is going to be desirable. Of course, I also have little illusion of convincing you, since you seem to decide which cards are good and which are bad entirely without reference to the world outside you; to wit the recent discussion on R/G Aggro, no doubt still the best deck in Fateland despite a lack of tournament showing.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2520 (isolation #191) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And most of the time, whatever you're doing with a pump spell can be replicated with either a kill spell or a direct damage spell anyway.

Maybe Armed/Dangerous is actually great. Not every preliminary analysis is accurate; sometimes cards turn out to be better than they look, generally thanks to how they interact with other cards in the set. Armed/Dangerous is unlikely to be one, but if you can build a top-tier deck that used Armed/Dangerous, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong. Until then, I'm going to assume that common knowledge of magic isn't suddenly void.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2529 (isolation #192) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I also think that you're being a bit disingenuous, berating me by comparing cards that are slightly dissimilar, and then calling out Blasphemous Act on me. And having the gall to declare that I was wrong about Blasphemous Act because you think you can find a quote from chamber where he says it's terrible. Blasphemous Act is a card that exists in one deck, because it has synergy with a card that was released in the block that came after it. Act saw limited play at best in decks desperate for a sweeper, and mostly in Stuffy Doll combo until Boros Reckoner made it better. This in fact is where your analysis falls down- no card exists in a vacuum, and the strength of a card is largely determined by how well it interacts with other cards, as well by how easily it can be countered by oppossing decks. If you want to say "ZOMG! It's a fuse card that can give Double Strike or allow Alpha Strikes or BOTH!" that's fine, and true, but that doesn't mean that it's good.

But there's no point arguing, because you'll never admit that there exists even a chance that you might be wrong. So why even hold the discussion? Instead, Fate, I implore you to prove me wrong. In fact, I beg you to prove me wrong. Make your super-elite ultra-tech mega-deck with your Armed/Dangerous tech (can't be that hard to trade for them, only you know of their incredible value, you can probably stock up now for cheap and make a killing once all the pro-tour players catch on). Take it to your game store, and just annihilate fools with it. No doubt it will be the simplest #1 finish you've ever achieved. Historians will declare it the "Fate is Armed and Dangerous" Holiday, and parades will be thrown in honor of your genius, I'm sure.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2550 (isolation #193) » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Also, the point is that they've now been printed three times. The price is going to come down once DGM gets around.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2658 (isolation #194) » Fri May 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Card sleeves are important. Generally, I like to buy new sleeves before a major event, since if there's much scuffing, the opponent can call a judge for marking.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2680 (isolation #195) » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Usually, when I hear somebody say "I need to practice shuffling," I assume they mean either "I don't know how probability works," or "I'm trying to figure out how to stack my deck without getting caught."
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2689 (isolation #196) » Mon May 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've found the best way to play Zedruu is to use a combination of enchantments that don't care who own them, and then just good cards. Zedruu's a very political general- Illusions of Grandeur is cute, but it only works once before people figure it out. Playing out creatures and mana rocks and then donating them to people in need gets people to overlook you as their buddy- and then you kill them with CA because you're drawing 4 a turn.

Sunforger is another strategy I like, since being able to tutor stuff up is great.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2724 (isolation #197) » Thu May 23, 2013 6:01 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't mind not blowing up your own legend, but being able to kill legends with copies was supposed to be part of the balance for those cards. Legends jab always been wonky, though.

The sideboard Chang is interesting. I don't know how relevant it'll be, since you're always better off mathematically with sixty main, but this could open up some strategy for the few corner cases.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2766 (isolation #198) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I was thinking about making a cube. I was going to base it on the various card cycles, in the hopes that that would result in vaguely balanced colors.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2770 (isolation #199) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I just like the concept of cycles, is all. I wouldn't throw in Healing Salve just because of Lighnting Bolt, except that the entire cube is supposed to be cycle themed. My other idea is a combo themed cube; include all the wonky combos in the 720, but I don't know really how to work that.

Return to “The Arcade”