Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #1775 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 am

Post by Fate »

ALSO I told someone at the pre-release something that is apparently wrong. The Gatecrash FAQ SPECIFICALLY said each time you pay to activate the keyrune's ability of turning it into a creature, it is a NEW creature with NO memory of its past self. aka if they enchant agoraphobia (i think the example was) on your shit, you let it resolve, then pay the activation cost to make it a NEW creature that ISNT agoraphobiad

FOLLOWING this logic, I told someone that they couldn't cipher encode onto a keyrune, well they could but it would be LOST once it turned back into an artifact because its encoded on the CREATURE keyrune, and once it turns back into a artifact all knowledge of that creature is gone forever, and no cipher.

But then the Magic site said you CAN encode onto a keyrune and it will stick...??? not following the rules logic here
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1776 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:16 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1775, Fate wrote:ALSO I told someone at the pre-release something that is apparently wrong. The Gatecrash FAQ SPECIFICALLY said each time you pay to activate the keyrune's ability of turning it into a creature, it is a NEW creature with NO memory of its past self. aka if they enchant agoraphobia (i think the example was) on your shit, you let it resolve, then pay the activation cost to make it a NEW creature that ISNT agoraphobiad

FOLLOWING this logic, I told someone that they couldn't cipher encode onto a keyrune, well they could but it would be LOST once it turned back into an artifact because its encoded on the CREATURE keyrune, and once it turns back into a artifact all knowledge of that creature is gone forever, and no cipher.

But then the Magic site said you CAN encode onto a keyrune and it will stick...??? not following the rules logic here

The rules logic is that they decided that was the rules for cipher. Keywords have rulings, the ruling here was that you can cipher onto a keyrune and it'll stay
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1777 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:19 am

Post by Fate »

702.97c The card with cipher remains encoded on the chosen creature as long as the card with cipher remains exiled and the creature remains on the battlefield. The card remains encoded on that object even if it changes controller or stops being a creature, as long as it remains on the battlefield.

K nvm google is cool

so its just some rule
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1778 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 am

Post by mykonian »

hey, that's good to know.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1779 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 am

Post by chamber »

In post 1775, Fate wrote:ALSO I told someone at the pre-release something that is apparently wrong. The Gatecrash FAQ SPECIFICALLY said each time you pay to activate the keyrune's ability of turning it into a creature, it is a NEW creature with NO memory of its past self. aka if they enchant agoraphobia (i think the example was) on your shit, you let it resolve, then pay the activation cost to make it a NEW creature that ISNT agoraphobiad

Just so new players don't get confused. The card used in the example was diminish not agrophobia. Agrophobia's effect would continue to apply on top of any power/toughness setting effects, no matter how many times they were used. It is however a creature aura which means that if its ever not enchanting a creature it goes to the graveyard as a state based effect. So at the end of the turn after it was put on the keyrune it would go to the yard.

The reason the diminish example works is because power toughness setting effects all apply in the same layer, below power toughness modifying effects and power toughness switching effects. Both diminish and the keyrunes activated ability set the the power toughness, meaning they are applied in time stamp order, so keyrune > dimish > keyrune would leave you with the keyrunes power/toughness at the end because its the most recent. Because this happens below modifying effects though, agrophobia/giant growth/etc are all applied after the base power/toughness is determined.
Taking a break from the site.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1780 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Post by dramonic »

Can you redirect a bloodrush?
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1781 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 1780, dramonic wrote:Can you redirect a bloodrush?

Short answer is yes. Long answer is to make sure whatever card you are using can redirect abilities, not just spells, because bloodrushing is an ability, and to make sure you have a legal target to redirect to, because bloodrush can only target attacking creatures.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1782 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 am

Post by Fate »

Wow why did no one tell me Kessig malcontents existed
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1783 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I assume its because red just has way better options available at the three drop slot.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1784 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:57 am

Post by chamber »

In post 1783, Thestatusquo wrote:I assume its because red just has way better options available at the three drop slot.

reds 3 drops are actually kind of shit right now. (which is the only reason the card fate mentioned is even close to being maybe playable outside of combo)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1785 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Red's three drop options are what? Pyreheart Wolf and more 2 drops? 2 gets you Ash Zealot, plus some unleash and haste guys, and 4 gets you to Hellrider, but 3 is kinda blank if you don't play with the Wolf.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1786 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am

Post by Fate »

hrmmmmmm

I'm thinking it'd be a cool niche 3 drop in my deck. I don't want to run too many Hellraisers, and if I drop him with an Mayor and Loyalist out he's a 4-2 with first strike and trample, with the bonus of nuking something while coming in.

I think I'd side board him out though game 2 in favor of... Wolfir Avenger. He can be a combat trick with Experiment One and is sturdier against removal.

Also best case scenario is a 4 damage nuke turn 3 (Experiment 1, BTE+1human+ this guy), with a 5 damage nuke turn 4 with hellriders
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1787 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 1786, Fate wrote:with the bonus of nuking something while coming in.

You realize it only hits players right?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1788 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

A card I've wanted to build around for a while is Kessig Cage Breakers. Probably could fit it in a deck with Splinterfright and Ghoultree, I guess.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1789 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Post by Fate »

In post 1787, chamber wrote:
In post 1786, Fate wrote:with the bonus of nuking something while coming in.

You realize it only hits players right?

yeah I re-read it after I made that post, still a good effect when trying to win early
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1790 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The most interesting idea I've seen for Kessig Malcontents is as the finisher in the Angel of Glory's Rise combo deck. Boros splashing black could be interesting, with aggressive pressure early and a combo finish for reach. Don't know that it'd be really competitive, but it'd probably be fun.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1791 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1785, Sudo_Nym wrote:Red's three drop options are what? Pyreheart Wolf and more 2 drops? 2 gets you Ash Zealot, plus some unleash and haste guys, and 4 gets you to Hellrider, but 3 is kinda blank if you don't play with the Wolf.

Boros Reckoner seems good.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1792 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Post by AGar »

Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1793 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Post by dramonic »

In post 1768, dramonic wrote:It's sad you're going green/white/black, malcontent would be nifty in that combo

In post 1782, Fate wrote:Wow why did no one tell me Kessig malcontents existed

Pay attention :p
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1794 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:55 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 1784, chamber wrote:
In post 1783, Thestatusquo wrote:I assume its because red just has way better options available at the three drop slot.

reds 3 drops are actually kind of shit right now. (which is the only reason the card fate mentioned is even close to being maybe playable outside of combo)

Interestingly enough, that doesn't change my argument. :)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1795 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:58 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

As much as I like TWoo, I think this deck is just a bad version of the junk reanimator deck that was popular right after return came out. How exactly is red better than thragtusk/mulch/trackers instincts/mana dorks/craterhoof?

I don't think it is.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1796 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 am

Post by Fate »

And no one told me about Hamlet captain either....

Starting to think you guys are just dicksdicks
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1797 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:30 am

Post by chamber »

Hamlet captain is actively not good.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1798 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:47 am

Post by mykonian »

how can it be that bad? It's a 2/2 for two mana, and it gives a bonus that might matter in some cases? If you had the humans, it would help them hit for one more damage for one turn at least?
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1799 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:49 am

Post by chamber »

A 2 mana 2/2 isn't even close to being good enough on its own.

Return to “The Arcade”