Newbie 800 ~ Mafia: The Reality Show (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Newbie 800 ~ Mafia: The Reality Show (Game Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:52 am

Post by Vi »

Nine people and an announcer (who may or may not qualify as a person) were standing in an arc inside the living room of a suite on the 32nd floor of a high-rise hotel. Secret cameras had been secreted away in dozens of rather obvious hiding places, and the contestants were supposed to believe they were speaking to a blank wall.

"Hi, my name's John "J. J." Schmidt, and welcome to Mafia: The Show! Here we have nine contestants who are competing to win ownership of this high-rise hotel! But to get the deed, they have to compete in grueling tasks of cunning and courage - all within this three-bedroom apartment suite. The arguments will be outrageous. The betrayal, unthinkable. The selection... merciless."

The nine contestants, of course, were contractually obliged to keep smiling like they loved the person next to them at this point. What seven of them didn't know was that two of them had already teamed up. The godfather needed a new front business that could be launched from this high-rise. All they had to do was find the right time to ruin the show.

"And even though the show has only lasted for five minutes, I've already got a twist for you all. One of you needs to go... in twenty minutes, or everyone loses. Good luck, and remember that you have to live with any bloodstains you make."

The decision took about twenty seconds. The violence was outrageous. The screams, unthinkable (albeit distorted by the dropped microphone). The hatred... merciless. J.J. was stuffed headfirst down a trapdoor in the kitchen.

In the next room over, the producers knew they had a winner.

Important Links:

-------------
----------------

Still In The Running:

4. Echo, Mafia Goon, Survived Day 3!
8. saberwolf (SE)
replacing ErikTheRed N2
replacing ric D2
, Mafia Goon, Survived Day 3!

Down and Out:

9. sideney (SE), Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 1.
1. Adel (IC)
replacing Anticollie N1
, Vanilla Townie, Killed Night 1!
6. onion
replacing higgsboatswain D1
, Cop, Lynched Day 2...
2. Raskol
replacing auditor9006 D1
, Vanilla Townie, Killed Night 2!
5. Haylen, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 3.
3. Cain
replacing Lynch D2
replacing Cyren D1
, Vanilla Townie, Endgamed Day 3!
7. Nikanor
replacing Raeil D1
, Vanilla Townie, Endgamed Day 3!
Last edited by Vi on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:52 am, edited 22 times in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:53 am

Post by Vi »

How this game works:

--Confirmation Period (Pregame):
What is it?
This is the period between when I send out Role PMs and when everyone confirms by posting "/confirm" (or something like it) in this topic.
Mafia Pregame Talk:
The Mafia are allowed to speak to each other via their QuickTopic during pregame. I will tell them when they can no longer post in their QuickTopic (when Day begins).
Pregame is for Confirming.
Any votes, etc. made during pregame
do not count
. Please do not clutter the topic with off-topic posts before the game starts.
Can we start yet?
When at least eight of the players have confirmed, I will move the game to Day.

--Day:
What is it? What do I do?
This is the period during which everyone who's alive can post in this topic. The Town wants to find and lynch the Mafia (see below). The Mafia wants to avoid getting lynched.
What is voting, and how do I do it?
Players may vote for a person they want to see lynched by posting
Vote: PLAYERNAME
somewhere in their posts. I won't accept it if it's not in bold. I allow abbreviations or (minor) misspellings, though I will make fun of you for the latter.
What is unvoting?
You can also unvote players, like:
Unvote: PLAYERNAME
. If you want to change votes, you MUST unvote first and THEN vote the person you want.
Do we have to lynch?
You are allowed to vote to No Lynch (
Vote: No Lynch
). This requires a majority vote to take effect, just like an actual lynch would.
Can the Mafia talk to each other?
Mafia MAY NOT speak to each other during the Day.
Prod/Replacement Policy:
If you do not post for three RL days during the Day, you will be prodded via PM to come and post something. If you do not do so within two days, I will replace you - taking you out of this game. In addition, if you are prodded three times, I will forcibly replace you. If you know you are going to be on vacation or away from a computer for a while, please let me know and I will see if arrangements can be made.
Player Abandonment Policy:
If half of the player list needs replacement at any one time, I will ask the remaining players if they want to keep the game alive. If a majority of the remaining players does not respond "Yes" OR I cannot find replacements within three days, I will declare the game abandoned and it will end right there.
Deadlines:
Each Day has an automatic deadline of three weeks from the time it begins. Extensions will not likely be made. However, the mod may move the deadline forward after two days' warning if overall activity is not satisfactory.
When does the Day end?
The Day ends when either a true majority of the living players are voting for someone, or the deadline occurs. If a majority of the living players are voting for someone, that player will immediately be LYNCHED (killed, removed from the game) and Night will begin.
What happens at deadline?
If the deadline occurs before anyone reaches a majority vote, the game moves to Night and
No Lynch occurs
. Some mods lessen the requirements to lynch at deadline. I do not. A lynch will always require a full majority of the players' consent.

--Twilight:
What is it?
This is the period between when the hammer vote (the last vote placed that put someone at a majority) and when the mod shows up to move the game to Night. Do NOT speak during Twilight if you are the person getting lynched.

--Night:
What is it?
This is a period that lasts for three RL days. During this time, the topic will be locked - nobody can post or really do anything, unless they're told they can in their Role PM.
Can the Mafia talk?
The Mafia may post freely in their QuickTopic at Night.
Can the Town talk?
No, not in any way.
So what can I expect?
The Mafia may send in the name of someone they want to kill overnight. Any power roles (Cop, Doctor, M. Roleblocker) can also send in the names of someone they would like to target with their respective abilities. And aside from the Mafia being able to talk to each other, that's pretty much it.
When does it end?
Night will end as close as I can get it to three real-time days after it starts. If someone doesn't send in a Night Action, it doesn't get done.

--THINGS THAT YOU CANNOT DO:
Can I talk about this game elsewhere?
While this game is ongoing, you are NOT allowed to discuss it in other topics/games (as this will likely get you modkilled in that game
as well as
this one). PMing other players about the game will result in a modkill. This game is in
this topic
, and at Night, the Mafia QuickTopic. That's it.
You use cool colors! Can I use them?
No. Impersonating the mod is both cheesy and fraudulent. I will use
gray
in my modtext. Do not use gray in your posts, or risk being modkilled.
I know how to prove my Towniness! I'll post my Role PM!
No you won't. Quoting your Role PM or anything I tell you via PM will result in your modkill.
I have mod powers... so I can edit/delete this post... right?
No. What you post in this topic STAYS in this topic.
I'm dead. Can I still post?
No. Once you're dead, you're dead. Dead people don't talk. They don't even say "bah". You can watch from the sidelines, but that's as far as your activity in this topic gets.
You talk a lot about modkills. What is a modkill?
Pretty self-explanatory on its face - I kill you immediately. I also change your role retroactively to Neutral Survivor - meaning you auto-lose. If a modkill occurs during the Day, I will decide whether the Day should continue.
Okay, so I won't do any of that. I'll just fake it instead!
No you won't. Same punishment, lesser crime.
You're not letting me get away with stuff!
I'm actually pretty lenient. I believe in people being clever, but as a general rule I will not allow things that cannot be easily seen from the public record. Invisible text is not allowed at all. Small text is intended for things that don't relate to the game. I reserve the right to ruin your day, especially if you don't ask me about what you're doing first.

--Other:
This is a game.
Play to win, but remember that everyone else is playing to win too. Keep it classy and don't flame people. I will forcibly replace people who are deliberately causing game-unrelated disruptions.
I need help! Where do I go?
General gameplay questions can be answered by SEs or ICs inthread. I'm open to PMs, but if it's just a "how do I play this game" question, please ask one of the other players. I do occasionally make mistakes; if you believe I've done something that is too sensitive to talk about in-thread, please PM me. If it's something like a vote count error, you can say so in-thread - nicely, please.
This setup was determined randomly.
Do not try to outguess me or the setup. If your guesses are accurate, it will only be by chance. There is nothing to gain from reading my flavor except entertainment.
Did I forget anything?
I may have to add to or change these rules during the game. I will tell you if I do so.
Etc.
Etc.
Last edited by Vi on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 am

Post by Vi »

--The Setup:

This game uses the F11 setup. One of these setups will be in the game.

***1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies
***1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
***2 Mafia Goons, 1 Cop, 6 Townies
***2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies

And these are all the Role PMs. Anything between braces may or may not be in the Role PM.
Mafia Roleblocker PM wrote:
~NAME~

Welcome to Newbie 800. You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
. Your partner is ______, a Mafia Goon. Your goal is to get everyone else to lynch... well, anyone except you and/or your partner.

You may talk to your partner during pregame or at Night in this QuickTopic.
At Night, you or your partner may send the Mod the name of someone you would like to kill; and as long as you are alive, the name of someone you would like to Roleblock for the Night (preventing whatever Night ability they may have from taking effect).
Who sends the actions has no relevance to this game, and I will allow you to Roleblock and kill at the same time. Your partner may send in your Roleblock on your behalf.

You win if your Mafia comprises half of the living players, or nothing can prevent the same.

Please confirm in-thread. I wish you the best of luck.
Mafia Goon PM wrote:
~NAME~

Mafia Goon
. Your partner is ______, a {Mafia Goon}{Mafia Roleblocker}. Your goal is to get everyone else to lynch... well, anyone except you and/or your partner.

You may talk to your partner during pregame OR at Night in this QuickTopic.
At Night, you or your partner may send the Mod the name of someone you would like to kill{; and as long as your partner is alive, the name of someone you would like to Roleblock for the Night (preventing whatever Night ability they may have from taking effect).
Who sends the actions has no relevance to this game, and I will allow your partner to Roleblock and kill on the same Night if you die. You may also send the Roleblock in on your partner's behalf}.

You win if your Mafia comprises half of the living players, or nothing can prevent the same.

Cop PM wrote:
~NAME~

Welcome to Newbie 800. You are the
Townie Cop
. Your goal is to find and lynch the Mafia lurking among the players.

At Night, you may send the mod the name of someone you'd like to investigate. If you live through the Night, I will tell you if that player is Mafia-aligned or Town-aligned. You may not investigate yourself. Your investigation is guaranteed to be accurate, though if you are roleblocked you will receive No Result.

You win if all of the Mafia are dead.

Doctor PM wrote:
~NAME~

Welcome to Newbie 800. You are the
Townie Doctor

At Night, you may send the mod the name of someone you'd like to protect. If that player is targeted by a kill that night, the kill will fail. You may not protect yourself. Your protection is guaranteed to work provided you are not Roleblocked.

You win if all of the Mafia are dead.

Townie PM wrote:
~NAME~

Vanilla Townie

You do not have a Night Action. But that's okay, since you have all Day to make yourself useful.

Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:57 am

Post by Vi »

Role PMs have been sent out. Please post in this topic (ITT) to confirm that you've received your Role PM and are ready to play.

When eight of you have confirmed, I will begin the game.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:22 am

Post by Haylen »

/confirm

Hi, everyone *waves*
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:49 am

Post by Echo »

/confirm

First online game, good luck everyone :)
Anticollie
Anticollie
Goon
Anticollie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Post by Anticollie »

Hello everyone, my namae is Michael; and I'm your I.C!

If there are any questions, I encourage you to direct them at myself, or our "semi experienced" mates, ric, and sideney.

First, some things about my role as your IC: I shall play, first and formost, to be a benefactor to your MafiaScum.net experience. I wish to make better players before I wish I win. (This can be seen as contrary to the moderator's wishes). Skill is built well after a strong basis has been cemented: so let's start building!

A few drab bits about me:
- I'm highly quantative. I'll take notes and data feverishly. if you ever need to know something about "who said this and when." I'll have that available. 9That said, I do not expose notes until post-game, and even then, only if asked).
- I'm busy with work often. I'll alwanys make deadlines: but posting a response or a question and expecting feedback quickly can be boring. I'll get back to you (and the response fulfilling). But that can take as long as 24 hours, in some extreme cases).

I'll close this with a small reminder: you may always contact me (PM/e-mail/IM) concernings general Mafia play (if you cannot find it in our mafia Wiki- loacted at the top menu of this page). I cannot, however, answer any questions, or give any inclinations regarding this, or any game currently in progress.

Yours, and confirming my participation,

Anticollie.

PS: I don't spell check.
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Post by ric »

/confirmed

im graduating from college with BA this weekend so i wont be around at all till monday or tuesday

thanks
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:24 pm

Post by auditor9006 »

/confirmed
Cyren
Cyren
Townie
Cyren
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Post by Cyren »

/confirm
sideney
sideney
Goon
sideney
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Post by sideney »

/confirm
Show
As Town 2/3 Lose with 1/2 nk and 1/2 lynched.
As Scum 1/3 Win but 1/1 Lynch
As doc 1 time.
As cop 1 time.
I'm a fucking noob!
Raeil
Raeil
Townie
Raeil
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Post by Raeil »

/confirm

I hope I stay alive longer than 48 hours IRL this time, lol!
There are 10 people in the world: Those who understand trinary, those who don't, and those who thought this would be the same old binary line...
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Post by Vi »

A voice over the emergency loudspeaker. "Hey, listen up! We just heard there's a scum problem in there!"

"No there's not. We just flushed the host."

"MAFIA scum, you plebe! We just heard they made a bid for the high-rise, sending two of their agents in. If they pull off a coup here, Corporate's gonna have our heads. So the gig's off until the scum are fished outta there. When the Mafia's out of the picture, we can get back to the show. Get on it."

The producers already knew who the scum were, of course. But this way got better ratings.

It is now Day 1! With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch. The deadline is 2100 EST, July 4 2009.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 am

Post by Haylen »

Wow, some of you guys were playing in my last Newbie.

Vote: Echo

Because echoes at the repetition what people say produced by the reflection of sound waves from a wall, mountain or or other obstructing surface. It means he going to repeat points that we make. lol

Does anyone know if 'The Producers' can tell us who the scum are? Or are the producers the scum? :shock: Either way, bribary probably wont work :(
- joking...although maybe the scum should tell us if it would work...

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:21 am

Post by Haylen »

PS. Anticollie, I don't spell check either. lol. I also don't write everything I want to say in one post, then when I do want to say it I'm too impatient to wait for another person to post before I do again...expect multi posting, something I apologise for in advance.

ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:24 am

Post by ric »

back from graduation. shit was hot.

what does this mean?
8. ric (SE)
Semi-Experienced. You've finished two games, so people know you have an idea of how to play. ~Vi

it seems like a bunch of people are here straight from another game, did something go wrong?
Cyren
Cyren
Townie
Cyren
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Post by Cyren »

Vote Reil
cuz he was last confirmed
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Post by Echo »

Vote Sidney
cuz he was (second) last confirmed ;P
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by Vi »

Vote Count:

Echo (1) ~ Haylen
Raeil (1) ~ Cyren
sideney (1) ~ Echo

Not Voting:
Anticollie, auditor9006,
Cyren, Echo, Haylen,
higgsboatswain, Raeil, ric, sideney

--With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.
--Deadline is Saturday, July 4 2009.
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Post by auditor9006 »

<b>Check</b>
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Post by auditor9006 »

Recheck
Raeil
Raeil
Townie
Raeil
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Post by Raeil »

Bleh,
Vote: Cyren
for misspelling my name... :evil:
There are 10 people in the world: Those who understand trinary, those who don't, and those who thought this would be the same old binary line...
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by ric »

good enough for me

vote: cyren
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by ric »

excuse me
vote: cyren
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Post by Haylen »

ric wrote: it seems like a bunch of people are here straight from another game, did something go wrong?
we were bumped to the top of the queue as compensation because that fool (the one you relaced in our last game) ruined our last game. I'm still angry at him. Sarag would be here too but she got taken by another guy as a replacement.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”