Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Post by Aimless »

Of course we should mass claim. The more information the town has, the better off we are, and if we know everyone's results, we can begin a process of elimination to find scum.

Suggesting anything else is rather scummy; I agree completely with Skruffs regarding drool and Fark.

I investigated clammy.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:35 pm

Post by Aimless »

Hmmm... actually, Fark's replies are setting off my scumdar. I'm going to go a bit further than just an FOS.

Unvote
Vote: Farkshinsoup
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (isolation #3) » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Post by Aimless »

ZeekLTK wrote:
vote: Skruffs
for being skruffs.

I'm pretty sure SensFan is not going to reveal what kind of cop was killed (see how he didn't reveal Jenter's) so Skruff's point about the Sane Cop is useless because we won't know if a sane cop died or not.
The point is, we can figure out a cop's sanity by looking at his targets, and cross-checking as people die: we may not get sanity information after death, but we still get alignment.

However, if our hypothetical sane cop doesn't post his results, the only person who will know if he's sane or not is said hypothetical cop. If he then dies, we've lost a boat load of valuable information.

And, lastly, there are three scum, and two of each kind of cop. For any given result on any given player, the statistics for inferring the veracity of said result are simple.

For instance, Cop A gets a scum result on player B. There are twelve players (initially), and thus eleven investigation targets, three of which are genuinely scum. A paranoid cop gets a scum result 100% of the time; an insane cop gets a scum result 8/11's of the time, and a sane cop gets a scum result 3/11's of the time. Thus, a night one scum result tells you there is a 50% chance you're paranoid, 36% chance you are insane, and a 14% chance you are sane. The odds are identical for Naive / Sane / Insane regarding a town result.

Working the other direction, we can hopefully put odds on the alignment of a given player, although this is harder since fake results from scum will gum up the works.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (isolation #4) » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Post by Aimless »

Tekkactus wrote:I investigated Fark and got innocent. Granted I might be Naive, but at this point there's a 50% chance he's legitimately pro-town. (Literally, I did a drew up a chart to check.)
At first glance, your result seems suspicious. As far as I can tell, statistically speaking, working off the strength of a single investigation, the odds that Fark are pro-town are unchanged from the no-information case: 73%. I'd like to know how you arrived at 50%. (And, even then, if he's only 50% town, that's better odds that he's scum than otherwise.)

That said, my vote for Fark really had nothing to do with the math, and entirely to do with his responses to Skruff.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (isolation #5) » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 am

Post by Aimless »

Fark has been throwing scumtells all game, to my eye. My vote on him stands.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (isolation #6) » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 am

Post by Aimless »

Ah. Okay, I'm no longer suspicious of you, but your math is faulty. The three possibilities are not equally weighted.

To begin with, assuming no prior information, the odds are 3/11 scum, and 2/11 for each cop role. So, a priori, each cop role has equal weight. However, once you throw in a known result, this is no longer true.

There are 11 different ways (11 possible players investigated) for a naive cop to achieve an innocent result. There are 8 ways for a sane cop to achieve an innocent result. There are 3 ways for an insane cop to achieve an innocent result. There are 0 ways for a paranoid cop to do so.

Thus, there are 22 possible ways to achieve a sane result in this game, which gives us the probabilities for determining your sanity: 11/22 = 50% naive, 8/22 = 36% sane, 3/22 = 14% insane.

A naive cop is correct 8/11's of the time; a sane cop is correct 11/11's of the time, and an insane cop is correct 0/11's of the time. Thus, using the weights given above, the odds that Fark is town going solely by the result of your investigation is:

(11/22)*(8/11) + (8/22)*(11/11) + (3/22)*(0/11) = 8/22 + 8/22 = 8/11 = 73%.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the same odds as in the no-information case; so, after a single investigation, we haven't learned anything regarding Fark - just a little regarding your own sanity. This is to be expected - we really need a series of investigations and cross-investigations to really learn anything useful.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #66 (isolation #7) » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:29 am

Post by Aimless »

Eh. I agree that we have plenty of time, but I don't really care for beating about the bush regarding FOS's and votes. As long as no one accidentally hammers until we're ready to lynch, there's no reason to not start gunning for scum right out of the gate. Especially in this case, where the player with the most votes dies at the deadline whether or not he has a majority.

Besides, the voting record is the best information available in this game until we get our sanities figured out. Vote early, vote often.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #75 (isolation #8) » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:20 am

Post by Aimless »

Claim Sheet wrote: Tek -> Fark | Innocent
Skruffs -> Aimless | Guilty
Aimless -> clammy | Guilty
drool -> Skruffs | ???
clammy -> Tekk | ???
Korlash -> Tekk | ???
TDC -> Zeek | ???
Raging Rabbit -> Fark | ???
ZeekLTK -> TDC | ???
Farkshinsoup -> Jenter | ???

Still needing to claim targets:
queen_of_spades
I got a guilty on clammy.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (isolation #9) » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:58 am

Post by Aimless »

Hmmm...

I think the first priority as a town should be to determine our sanities, so our lynch should go to one of the people double-targeted. (I still propose Fark as the lynch, because I think he's scummy, but that's aside from the general principle of discovering our sanities.)

Starting tomorrow, once we have a better grasp on things, we can worry about the rest.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (isolation #10) » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Post by Aimless »

Hmmm... I'm not sure we should lynch QoS today, even if she isn't cooperating. We can nail her tomorrow, if need be.

I rather think it's better to start learning our sanities, even at the potential cost of lynching a townie. Tekk or Fark is a better choice.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #103 (isolation #11) » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Post by Aimless »

Raging Rabbit wrote:We choose the second scummiest player (after the one who gets lynched), and
everyone
investigates him tonight (excepct for those who already did last night, obviously).
Usually, I'm against ideas like this; the town directing the investigation is almost never a good idea. But, in this case, I think you may be on to something. At the very worst, (assuming our mass target is down) we will have narrowed everyone down to (paranoid/insane) and (naive/sane).

The only risk is that this potentially costs us an extra day; with three scum in the game that means we will open day 3 in LYLO.

Hrmmm... actually, that prospect worries me quite a bit.

Counter-proposal - this is a good idea, if we lynch scum today, and can afford to waste the day. If we hit town, we should try to spread the results out, the better to have more results on more players to work with.

Besides, it's easy to identify our useful cops.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #104 (isolation #12) » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Post by Aimless »

Skruffs wrote:I have a habit of misinterpretting things, but it sounds to me like you are suggesting that Tekk and Fark are more likely townies than QoS and that we should lynch them anyways. If QoS turns out to be scum, I"M going to have to say you should be heavily questioned for this.
Three points:

One, all things being equal, it should be obviously better for the town lynch a person investigated twice over one investigated once or not at all.

Two, I'm just about convinced that Fark is scum. I'm running out of time now (have to go teach in a few minutes), but I'll make the case better later.

Three, I'm
not
convinced that QoS is scum. I'm inclined to think that she's simply a useless player; this tells me no information regarding her alignment. (And, in truth, in previous games I've played, useless players have been more likely town than scum, because said player is more likely to pay attention if they get a "cool" role.)
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (isolation #13) » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Post by Aimless »

Skruffs wrote:All things being equal: You are trying to avoid lynching someone who has not claimed their target or results to try and lynch one of two people who have both supplied their results and targets and are positing valid arguments.
This is a mini game. 3 scum, 8 town. This means that the town gets to be wrong twice.

As much as I am annoyed that QoS is not participating, prior experience has told me that, generally, this is at best a neutral indicator for finding scum. Uselessness is generally neither a scum tell nor a town tell.

Furthermore, not only has QoS not
claimed
any investigations, she was not
targeted
by any investigations, either. Lynching her gives us no information at all regarding our sanity. Further, the lack of participation means that the lynch itself also give us less information than normal. Thus, yes, I'm rather against lynching QoS. If this were a mountainous game, or were all else indeed equal, then I would be fine with lynching the least useful player on day one. Not the case here.

And, lastly, because useless players tend to make a good distraction, the first to go for them are often scum.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (isolation #14) » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Post by Aimless »

Zeek, I agree with you one all points except one - I still feel Fark is the better target. I'm all but certain he is scum. Since I promised earlier to make my case, I'll do so now:
Farkshinsoup, 10 wrote:We should not massclaim on Day 1, in my opinion.
As has been pointed out numerous times, this is an anti-town suggestion. Fark's excuse, for having made it, is that this is his second game - and yet, that belies his motive. Had he truly been unsure, he would have stayed silent. (This isn't enough, by itself; but, in conjunction with the rest it seems in retrospect clear to me.)
Farkshinsoup, 17 wrote:Whoa there, skruffs.

You bring up some good points that I didn't consider, but I'm still not convinced. We should all discuss and decide as a group whether we want to mass claim. Until then, I won't be saying who I investigated or what my result was.
A half hearted defense of his position, when called on his earlier mistake.
Farkshinsoup, 18 wrote:If the majority of players think the mass-claim is a good idea, I'll go along with it.
In the very next post, made immediately thereafter, he retracts even his first feeble defense, with the excuse "I'll go along with the majority."

This is the statement that first convinced me he was scum; to my eye this is a very glaring attempt to duck the attention he had garnered. Furthermore, basically every time I've ever seen anyone use this defense in my past games, they've been scum.
Farkshinsoup, 36 wrote:Let's say that we don't mass claim. Doesn't that give an investigative advantage to the 4 useful cops that are still out there? They may independently be able to figure out their usefulness. And they may be able to stay alive longer and do more investigations, which could be very useful in the endgame.
Fark continues in his attempts to prevent cops from posting their investigations. Actually, his entire post was scummy as heck; for brevity's sake I quoted on the most relevant part. At any way, the logic that he uses here isn't the way a townie thinks.

The only way that a cop will know he's useful in this game is if he gets a result that differs from a previous result. The second he does so, he will know he has found scum (either his current target, or all of his past targets). To hide this information is inexcusable, and yet Fark suggests that this is exactly what said useful cop does.

Further, we have 4 useful cops, and three scum. If we trade them one for one, we win.

At any rate, this post is simply more evidence on the heap that Fark is scummy.

He belabors this point for several more posts, not quoted for brevity.
Farkshinsoup, 45 wrote:I investigated Jenter Brolincani.
Claiming he investigated the dead guy, after he's finally given in and accepted the need to claim.
Farkshinsoup, 89 wrote:But let's not take our eyes off the prize. If we can find scum on Day 1, we should lynch them.

Now, I think that lurking is our biggest enemy in a game with a deadline right off the top. So:

Unvote
Vote: Queen_of_Spades
Contradicting himself in the space of two sentences (find scum vs. lynch the lurker), and immediately jumps on QoS; the first person to do so by my count.

As I've said before, lurkers/useless players make great distractions for scum to hide from the heat.
Farkshinsoup, 91 wrote:We should also think about coming up with assigned investigation targets for N1. If by the time we hit twilight, every player has an assigned person that they have to investigate, it gives less leeway for the scum to coordinate their false investigations after sundown. It also will maximize the information that we get from investigations.
This is less of a tell than the others. Wanting to have the town direct the investigation is usually a scum move, but in this case (at least for a single night) it may actually make since.

At any rate, as I said, I think Fark has been acting scummy all game so far. He logic just does not seem to me to be the way a townie would think.

The two biggest are his "I'll do whatever the town decides" defense and jumping all over QoS (especially contradicting himself in the post to do so).

In light of the above, I completely agree that Skruffs is also quite scummy, and likely working with Fark. After his original IGMEOY, he's done quite a bit to throw suspicion off of Fark and onto others - especially QoS, recently.

However, I think Fark is the better lynch of the two, for the reason stated above: he was targeted twice, and so we get more info.

Regarding Tekk: I'm a little suspicious of him for immediately claiming an innocent result towards Fark, but I'm far less suspicious of him than I am of the other two, and would hesitate to draw a link between them immediately.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #116 (isolation #15) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:00 am

Post by Aimless »

TDC wrote:Yeah, but trading one for one is not that easy.
Let's say Player A has an innocent on player B and a guilty on player C. Which of the three is scum?
That is indeed the trick. If it were that easy, this wouldn't be a game. ;)
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #117 (isolation #16) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:02 am

Post by Aimless »

TDC wrote:
Korlash wrote:I think Zeek said he thinks Tekk is better because he has both an innocent and guilty.
Hm.
If Tekk is scum, then one of them is naive/insane and one is paranoid/sane.
If he is town, then one of them is naive/sane and one is paranoid/insane.

There are two innocents on Fark.
If Fark is scum, then both of them are naive/insane, and if he is town both of them are naive/sane.

Where is the advantage in the former?
Either of the investigators has three possible sanities now, and two possible sanities when we know Tekk's/Fark's alignment.
If we look at things statistically, the odds that both of the players who investigated Fark are naive is slim. The odds that we have a naive and a paranoid investigating Tekk are slightly higher.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (isolation #17) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:27 am

Post by Aimless »

The more I think about it, the more I think that mass-targeting is a good thing; especially since I'm pretty sure I know how to do it in a way that will prevent us from mislynching on day 2. (I'll explain this bit later, if we agree to the plan.)

A mass targeting means that, by the end of day two (at the latest), we will have everyone divided into two categories: if our target is town, the everyone knows they are either paranoid/insane or naive/sane. If our target is scum, everyone knows they are either paranoid/sane or naive/insane.

The important point here is that doing this completely distinguishes the sane from the insane, which means that as soon as any cop figures out they are useful, they automatically also know which of their night targets was scum; thus, we save the town several possible mislynches arising from the confusion of sanities.

I'm pretty sure that this benefit outweighs the drawback of having fewer investigations spread around.

And, like I said, since I think we can pull it off without needing to waste our lynch tomorrow, I think we should go for it.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #141 (isolation #18) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:29 am

Post by Aimless »

Skruffs wrote:Aimless:
Unfnortunately though it ties up all investigations tonight, and the lynch tomorrow, and any information that is gained by cops could be extinguished, since the mafia will know who got 'sane' or 'insane' results on that player, and can NK them before they made a third player. Also, it completely depends on all 4 real cops having targetted both scum and townie.
You are being obtuse.

The point of this is that if
everyone
has investigated someone of known alignment, then we can distinguish between the sane and the insane. This is important, because it helps prevents mislynches later.

However, it does not
yet
distinguish between the useful and useless cops. The only way to distinguish between useful and useless is a useful cop will get different results for scum and town. Thus, the mass investigation doesn't help scum, because it doesn't tell them who is useful.

However, when any given cop later determines his usefulness, we are ahead, because that cop then immediately knows his sanity, and thus which of the players he investigated is indeed scum. In this instance, the town discovers the useful cop at exactly the same moment as the scum do, and at the same time discover a scum. 1-1 trades are good for the town.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that you know all of this already, and are only arguing against it in an attempt to confuse the town.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #142 (isolation #19) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:44 am

Post by Aimless »

Unofficial Vote Count:

Tekk(2): Korlash, Zeek
Fark(2): Aimless, drool
QoS(2): Fark, RR
Not Voting(5): clammy, Skruffs, Tekk, QoS, TDC

Did I miss anyone?
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #147 (isolation #20) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:36 pm

Post by Aimless »

Skruffs wrote:The thing is, when *exactly* do those given cops have their usefullness determined? My plan would potentially have a guilty result in the air by the beginning of day 2. Your plan doesn't become 'effective' until the beginning of day three, which would also be lylo.
This is the only objection you made that stands up to scrutiny.

If we mislynch today and mass-target/lynch a townie tomorrow, we are indeed in LYLO, and the information we will have gained becomes hard to use, since it only takes one fake result from scum to hurt us.

However
, I'm not actually proposing that we mass-target/lynch a townie tomorrow. The answer to your question of "when do those cops have their usefulness determined" is at dawn of day two, with no need to lynch our target. (Details on how to make this work will come later, if the town agrees to it.)

There's still a little risk involved, but it's far less this way.

Besides,
your
way isn't risk-free either. If the town scatters its votes around, we'll at the least get results on everyone, but the town doesn't have much of a way of knowing what those results mean. As TDC said earlier, we run into this problem, over and over:

Player A gets a guilty on B and and innocent on C. Which of the three is scum?

Thus, even figuring out a single result has, as it's worst case scenario, two mislynches. Granted, the situation is not quite so dire as this; cross investigations will bear out eventually - but it will take
time
. And, time is against the town. My way is faster.

Besides, if everyone knows their sanity by tomorrow morning, the odds are high that at least one of the N1 investigations will bear useful fruit.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (isolation #21) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Post by Aimless »

queen_of_spades wrote:I've been online during the past few days. i've got the flu, some bug or something (real life stuff).
The flu is a valid excuse in my book. My apologies for calling you useless earlier. ;)
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #153 (isolation #22) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Post by Aimless »

To update, since QoS claimed guilty on me:
Tekk -> Fark | Innocent
Skruffs -> Aimless | Guilty
Aimless -> clammy | Guilty
drool -> Skruffs | Innocent
clammy -> Tekk | Guilty
Korlash -> Tekk | Innocent
TDC -> Zeek | Innocent
Raging Rabbit -> Fark | Innocent
ZeekLTK -> TDC | Innocent
Farkshinsoup -> Jenter | Guilty
queen_of_spades -> Aimless | Guilty
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #155 (isolation #23) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Post by Aimless »

Raging Rabbit wrote:I think that if you'll establish that we'll in fact be able to determine our sanities on the second day's dawn, everyone would gladly hop on. I'm eager to know how, though, it's hard to agree to a plan that hasn't yet been explained.
Eh, alright. I'm hanging my neck out here a little, especially if the town goes against my plan, but smart scum should have figured things out already so it's probably better I go ahead and explain.

I am the
Retired Cop
. Ergo, I am
Town
. Investigate me tonight, and you'll know at least half of your sanity by tomorrow morning.

QoS and Skruffs are in the clear, and can choose their own targets, since they've already investigated me.

Whomever targeted our eventual Day 1 lynch last night is also in the clear, and can choose their own targets.

Otherwise, investigate me.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #157 (isolation #24) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Post by Aimless »

I didn't mention Fark, because I assume he's going to die today. ;)

And as for sacrificing myself: I'm usually an early NK anyway; better to get some use out of my role than to die without doing anything.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #177 (isolation #25) » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:23 am

Post by Aimless »

I second the motion that the less vocal players should weigh in. Failure to do so is anti-town.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #194 (isolation #26) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 pm

Post by Aimless »

I still think Fark is scummy, but...

Unvote
Vote: Skruffs

Too many bad proposals, and I think he knows better.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #198 (isolation #27) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Post by Aimless »

Raging Rabbit wrote:Sorry drool, missed that. I'm still slightly in favor of Fark's lynch, since I currently find both about equaly scummy and Fark's been investigated twice (also, I obviously want to confirm my own sanity since I can't be sure anyone else is pro-town).
They're
both
scummy, but Skruffs strikes me as the better player. The more we argue about the plan, the more chances he has to confuse people.

Although I
am
into big lengthy discussions involving numbers and strategies (I'm a Physicist, after all; I'm more fluent in math than I am in English), Korlash is right when he says it can become a distraction from the game, and I think we're well past that point already.

So, I would propose something simple, and that I think we all agree on: everyone whose sanity has not been otherwise confirmed investigates me tonight; the rest investigates as they please. Beyond that, we lynch today based solely on scummy behavior, and disregard the rest.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #201 (isolation #28) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Post by Aimless »

Farkshinsoup wrote:Either you are working on a hunch, which is poor play, or you are lying scum. Which of those guys do you want to be?
All
day one suspicions are hunches. Calling it poor play is disingenuous.

I just re-read through RR's posts in isolation, and his arguments have been generally logical and straightforward.
He's
not the one trying to twist words around, so far as I can see.

Of course, it's possible he's simply smart scum, and is trying to distance.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #211 (isolation #29) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Post by Aimless »

ZeekLTK wrote:I don't know why that is a hard concept for you and Skruffs to grasp... unless it's because you are scum and you've decided you will fight/argue to the bitter end to prevent us from doing it...
Arguing with scum is rather like feeding trolls. It does nothing productive. Neither Scruffs nor Fark have said anything to make me changing my assessment of them. Obviously, one of the two should be today's lynch.

However, our task now is to see if we can't find the third scum. At the moment, my suspicions lean toward Korlash. It feels like he's been flying a little too much under the radar for my taste, and his post about not liking plans, while understandable, also raises the hair on my neck a bit: it sounds like something I might conceivably say if I were scum in a game like this.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #214 (isolation #30) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Post by Aimless »

Korlash wrote:Also, how does something you would do and something i would do mean anything in any game? I'm not you, and therefore should not be held responcible for something you would or would not do... Although your right to suspect me for it, it hardly proves anything.
While I'm not new to the game, I am new to this site, which means that I don't know the meta for the players here. Thus, I can't base suspicions on what my interpretation of your behavior would be.

However, I can base suspicions on my interpretation of what your motives would be. So, what I mean when I say "this is the kind of argument I would conceivably make if I were scum" is that it's the kind of argument which one could arrive at if one were approaching the game from a scum perspective.

To further clarify:

You claimed to not really be one planning and game theory discussions and whatnot, and argue against them as an obstacle to scum hunting. Okay, that's fine; I'm tempted to believe you on that point. However, it is
also
an argument against the town going into those kinds of discussions - thus, it is an argument that one could arrive at from scum motivations. Additionally, by making the argument, you are giving yourself a cover for having mostly stayed silent so far this game - again, feasibly scummy. Lastly, it's one of those many statements that sounds good but doesn't really help the town.

So, it doesn't really matter that you aren't me; scum tend to have one set of motivations, town another. I find your argument to be compatible with scum motivations. This is not to say that it's incompatible with town motivations, or that I find your behavior totally scummy, but it is enough to make me suspicious of you.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #215 (isolation #31) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Post by Aimless »

EBWOP: Gya; a missing word in the first line of the fourth paragraph makes it really awkward to read. Here's what it should say:

"You claimed to not really be one
for
planning and game theory discussions and whatnot, ..."
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #217 (isolation #32) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Post by Aimless »

Replace "possible" for "plausible" in that first sentence, and you've summed up my argument exactly. Considering this is day one, I think it's a valid rationale for suspicion.

Anyway, your response hasn't really placated me, but there's not really anything else for me to say about it. Although, I would like to here your case for lynching RR or Tekk.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #237 (isolation #33) » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:02 pm

Post by Aimless »

Korlash wrote:Now you say the lynch is going to come down to Fark or Skruffs... why? why Skruffs over RR? What did he do worse then RR did?
I let this slide for a couple of days to see what other replies might get generated, but I'll answer now:

My suspicion of Fark has been primarily based on his post 18.
Farkshinsoup wrote:If the majority of players think the mass-claim is a good idea, I'll go along with it.
I don't know if this is an acceptable defense on MS, but this kind of statement has always been a major scumtell in the games I've played. This is what first drew my suspicion, and he hasn't said anything to deflect it since.

As far as Skruffs goes, my read on him is pretty straightforward - I think he's too good a player to have been proposing bad plans out of innocence, so he's got to be scum. In particular, the fact that he advocated lynching clammy for the sole purpose of ascertaining
my
sanity (and did so
after
I had claimed) despite my almost certain death tonight convinced me that he can't be town.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #249 (isolation #34) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Post by Aimless »

I don't particularly like this idea of not voting for the person you think scummiest. I doubt the benefit of (potentially) getting information on one extra cop sanity slightly earlier is worth the higher likelihood of a mislynch.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #293 (isolation #35) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 am

Post by Aimless »

TDC wrote:By the way, I think Aimless should decide on a full claim order for tomorrow.
This works for me. I was planning on posting a final list of my suspicions and reasoning before the deadline anyway; I can come up with an order then as well.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #295 (isolation #36) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:22 am

Post by Aimless »

I will post the list in the order of people I think are mostly likely scum. It will probably *not* have the three scum at the very top (even I'm not perfect), but I think I'm a good enough judge that most of the scum will be towards the top.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #298 (isolation #37) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:33 am

Post by Aimless »

Regarding the Player A gets a guilty on B and an innocent on C problem:

Obviously, either A, B, or C is scum in this case. If one of the three is dead, it's 50/50 regarding the other two, which should be good odds for the town as long as we are not yet in LYLO.

In the case where all three are alive, the odds are not nearly so good. Enough so that I would recommend the town treat that investigation as non-existent until one of the players alignments is known. (Well, really, I would say that we should try to avoid this situation - in fact, wanting to avoid it is the entire reason I offered myself up as a sacrificial lamb.)
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #299 (isolation #38) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:49 am

Post by Aimless »

charter wrote:You're also twisting my words. I said I don't agree with Aimless's plan of an absolute everyone investigate Aimless. If people were to investigate someone else, they would have to explain why. If they didn't have a good reason (such as they are scum), they would look highly suspicious tomorrow.
And now, you are twisting
my
words.

I didn't say that everyone should investigate me. I said that everyone who doesn't already have an investigation on a known alignment (through having investigated me, Jenter, or whomever today's eventual lynch is) should investigate me.

The object is, by tomorrow morning, I want every cop in the game to have at least one result against a known alignment, because this categorically weeds out confusion between sane and insane cops, leaving only confusion between cop and scum. Anyone who claims to have found scum without having a known result is worthless, because of the potential for the confusion I mentioned in my last post.

Cops of unknown sanity are no better than townies. Thus, considering the situation on day 2, any cop who doesn't follow the plan as mentioned is a townie. Day 3 is less important, because (as has been pointed out repeatedly) there's a possibility we'll be in LYLO by then and no claimed results will be trustworthy.

As far as I can tell, there is no pro-town counter-argument to this. If you have one, I'd like to hear it.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #302 (isolation #39) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Post by Aimless »

charter wrote:I disagree with the unknown sanity being useless part, because I think that I can tell between RR and TDC (or someone else) who is the scum. RR. Of course this will never apply to me, so I won't argue it further.
Maybe you can. Maybe, you'll even be right. And maybe you're scum taking advantage of a scummy-looking townie to trick us. I know which guess I'd pick.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #304 (isolation #40) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Post by Aimless »

Since I'm following
my
plan, I fail to see how you can make that conclusion.

Oh wait. I forgot that you were scum. Nevermind, I see how you can reach that conclusion perfectly.
Aimless
Aimless
Townie
Aimless
Townie
Townie

Post Post #308 (isolation #41) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Post by Aimless »

Raging Rabbit wrote:Aimlees - since when do you find me scummy?
There are two answers to this question, and they aren't really related.

First, I used the term "scummy-looking townie" for a reason. Long, drawn out arguments, such as the one you had with Fark, tend to be lynch bait. I actually think it's a town tell (scum, usually, don't like to stick their necks out like that) and have been treating it accordingly; however, you've drawn fire for it, which is what I mean by "scummy-looking townie."

The second part of my answer is that, at the moment, you're fourth on my list of possible scum, behind Scruffs, dRool, and Fark. The main reason here is actually the same objection Scruffs had - the initial plan to mass-target the second-scummiest looking player and lynch him on day two. This has been beaten to death and I don't want to reopen the argument, but that's the type of plan that could lead to an easy scum win if they manage to hijack it. (I'll note that my initial support for it was conditional - I thought it a good idea only if we succeeded in lynching scum today.)

That being said, I still find Scruffs the scummiest, and think he should be today's lynch.

dRool comes next because of the way he's popped up only when he's been prodded or mentioned, and his utter lack of useful contribution so far.

Fark I'm actually wavering on a little bit. I hate to second-guess myself, but I've played with people in the past who've acted like that as town; without any sort of meta on him, I can't be sure.

Then you, for the reason mentioned.

Next on my list is Tekk, likewise for lack of contribution.

Then charter because of the immediate way he attacked the plan tonight, although I have to admit that this is more likely the result of OMGUS on my part. I disagree with him, but I can see his point; nonetheless, it isn't mafia without a healthy dose of paranoia, so he's on the list.

After that come Korlash, clammy, Zeek, and TDC. I don't have particularly good reads on any of them, but they strike me as likely town.

This would also (for the moment) be my suggested order for claiming tomorrow:

Scruffs
dRool
Fark
RR
Tekk
charter
Korlash
clammy
Zeek
TDC

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”