Newbie 976 - Game Over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Newbie 976 - Game Over.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:02 am

Post by Zorblag »

It's been a while since you've had the chance to visit your hometown. It seems like it was years ago that you left to follow your calling to enroll at the Royal Academy of Herpetology in order to better be able to understand the many toads who dwell in the local environment better. Actually it was a pretty common calling as those toads are really interesting little creatures. In any case, you and the eight others who have been away learning everything worth knowing about amphibians (and lizards, though you paid less attention to them because, hey, toads aren't lizards) have finally gotten the chance to come back and talk about old times.

Sadly, when you all arrived at your village you find that there was a savage Troll attack the day before and everyone's been killed. This must be the work of the mafia!

Wait, that doesn't make sense, does it?

Um, let's say that for this game Trolls are a kind of reptile and while you were at the Royal Academy of Herpetology you learned that the mafia knows of a means to attract packs of them to kill off towns. But it takes exactly two people to do it and they have to be one day's travel away from the town at the time. Thus it must be two of your own party who are the mafia members responsible for this.

And now that we're pretending the back story makes sense it's time for you to get to lynching those mafia members.

Mod: Zorblag

Living Players

RazorStar (replaces koch), Mafia Goon, won.

theperson, Mafia Roleblocker, won.

indicates IC player.
The ICs are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

^
indicates semi-experienced player.
Dead Players

Nobody Special ^, Townie, was lynched Day One.

0x1de (replaces Aspen), Townie, was lynched Day Two.

Friend (replaces Gingerrr), Doctor, was killed Night Two.

Aranneas (replaces gandalf5166), Townie, was lynched Day Three.

DavidParker ^, Townie, was Killed Night Three.

Framm 18 (replaces Mego), Townie, was Endgamed.

startransmission, Cop, was Endgamed.

Helpful Links

Rules and Setup (with Roles.)

Day One starts, Day One ends.
Day Two starts, Day Two ends.
Day Three starts, Day Three ends.
Game ends.

Main Wiki Page
Newbie Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Commonly Used Abbreviations

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Last edited by Zorblag on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 am, edited 15 times in total.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:26 am

Post by Zorblag »

Game Rules (modified from Vel-Rahn Koon’s rules):

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
  3. No heavy use of ciphers or encryption is allowed. If you're not sure whether something counts you should ask the Moderator before using it.
  4. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  5. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  6. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur
  2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
  4. Please submit votes as: VOTE: PlayerName.
    Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
    Note that the vote tags formats votes correctly and are encouraged.
  5. Please submit vote revocations as either UNVOTE: PlayerName or UNVOTE: . Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes. Again, note that the unvote tags format this correctly and are encouraged.
  6. You may VOTE: No Lynch - if at least half of the players are voting for No Lynch at any point the day will end in a No Lynch. Otherwise the no lynch votes are just like any other.
  7. This game will have 3 week deadlines. At deadline, the player (or No Lynch) with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker will be the player who has the first active vote on them. Should there be no active votes at deadline no one will be lynched.
  8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
  9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Green
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
  5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
  6. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
  7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:45 am

Post by Zorblag »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open. The actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:
The Mod wrote:Mafia Goon:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner, <name>, a <Mafia Goon or Mafia Roleblocker>. Your current task is to eliminate the town before they lynch you by killing them at night and getting them lynched during the day.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia at <quick topic location> and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia during the confirmation stage up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:Mafia Roleblocker:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner, <name>, a Mafia Goon. Your current task is to eliminate the town before they lynch you by killing them at night and getting them lynched during the day.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia at <quick topic location> and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia during the confirmation stage up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Town-Aligned players:
The Mod wrote:Townie:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:Cop:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues) provided you are not roleblocked (if you are roleblocked you will get no result.)
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:Doctor:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks) provided you are not roleblocked (if you are roleblocked your protection will not work.)
-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:56 am

Post by Zorblag »

Role PMs are about to be sent out now. Please confirm that you've received your role and that you've read and understand the rules via PM. The game will start in 24 hour or after all but 1 player have confirmed via PM, whichever occurs later. Mafia members will be able to chat in their quick topic until Day One starts. If you have any questions do feel free to ask them via PM.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:04 am

Post by Zorblag »

As an update I'm still waiting on confirmations from three players. They've got another 24 hours to respond before I start finding replacements. The game will start as soon as I've got two more confirmations at this point.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Everyone but Mego has now confirmed. If I haven't heard anything from him by tomorrow afternoon I'll find a replacement. For now the rest of you can start day one. Good luck everyone!

Vote Count 1.0

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

Not voting: Aspen, DavidParker, gandalf5166, Gingerrr, koch, Mego, Nobody Special, startransmission, theperson

With 9 players alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently no one would be lynched at Deadline. Deadline is 12:00 PM EDT/9:00 AM PDT on Saturday, July 17th. Countdown Timer.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

VOTE: DavidParker

First time I've used the new vote tag. Neat.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

How rude, I forgot to introduce myself.

I'm Nobody Special, and DavidParker and I are the two SE (semi-experienced) players for this game. That just means we've finished more than two games on mafiascum.net, and we're here to help.

But, the Main Guy for helping you this game is startransmission, he's the IC (inexperience-challenged) player. He'll be doing most of the helping.

Hi!
....what?

startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Post by startransmission »

Nobody Special wrote:But, the Main Guy for helping you this game is startransmission, he's the IC (inexperience-challenged) player. He'll be doing most of the helping.
Vote: Nobody Special

For pointing me out. :wink:

So yeah, I'm your IC for this game. That basically means that I've got a number of games under my belt and for the beginners here I should be considered a resource. Any questions regarding pretty much anything I will be more than happy to answer. At the same time, I have a role/alignment, and I will play it to win. Zorblag has linked the IC article, and that should explain my presence well enough.

Sooo... RVS (random voting stage) is underway... let's do this. If this is your first Mafia game, well then I envy you. It's a hell of a game.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by DavidParker »

VOTE: Nobody Special

Decided when game was still in confirmation I'd random vote for him! (It's not really a random vote, more just a "hi, look at the mess I made in our other game", but that can't be discussed here oops)

So, OMGUS away!

Also, I'm sure NS will vouch that I really don't deserve the title of SE :p
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:47 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

VOTE: theperson, for being in my last game! This is the first time that I have used the vote tag as well.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:24 am

Post by theperson »

VOTE: Mego

This game would have started earlier if it weren't for you!

And hi again, gandalf! Look forward to playing another one with you!
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:42 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

Well, I am now forced to change my random vote. VOTE: koch. I just learned that he is also a member over on kongregate, which is a serious offense. :P Hi, viper. I really wish that the tongue out face didn't look so stupid on this site.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:09 am

Post by theperson »

Yeah, I wish that too. I've thought that multiple times before. :P <----Well, I can't think of another smiley that fits better...

VOTE: gandalf5166 for being a hypocrite.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:09 am

Post by Nobody Special »

DavidParker wrote:Also, I'm sure NS will vouch that I really don't deserve the title of SE :p
Let's just say I was mildly surprised.

UNVOTE:

VOTE: gandalf for having a creepy avatar.
....what?

DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:21 am

Post by DavidParker »

UNVOTE:
VOTE: Gingerrr

Australia just got their first ranga prime minister (in somewhat "scummy" circumstances), so I currently am convinced all redheads are evil.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:21 am

Post by DavidParker »

EDIT:

Unvote

VOTE: Gingerrr
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:03 am

Post by Zorblag »

Framm 18 replaces Mego. Thanks Framm 18!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:14 am

Post by Framm 18 »

You are welcome. Looking forward to playing on here.

VOTE: Koch

No real reason other than to cast a vote.
koch
koch
Townie
koch
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Post by koch »

Hello everyone!
as this is my first game and hence my first vote im using it on...
VOTE: Gandalf
Because i just had to return the favor.
Good luck to all and lets have a good game!
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

I'm at L2 now. Two more votes and I will be lynched. Just announcing it so that scum can't "accidentally" QL me. I actually have to ask koch why he felt comfortable putting me at L2 on page one.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

unvote

Too soon to lynch, especially at random. But your avatar is still, like, seriously creepy.

Oh, and koch: IGMEOY.
....what?

startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:38 am

Post by startransmission »

Hey folks, I'll have something up later today. Work sucks for me on weekends, but today is my Friday.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
koch
koch
Townie
koch
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:31 am

Post by koch »

in response to Gandalf: i was comfortable with it because it did not put you in any real risk of being lynched, plus from what i have seen from looking in other games, putting some pressure on someone early can really open up a game. Now since your back down to L3, im keeping my vote on you, because im a bit suspicious with how aggresive you were towards me. I will move it though when i get some more info on people, or if you get to close to being lynched.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:24 am

Post by theperson »

It's not TOO risky, I agree, but it shows bandwagoning, and eagerness to get someone lynched. Scum want people lynched as soon as possible, so bandwagoning is seen in many people's eyes as a scumtell. Two votes in RVS on one person is quite normal but sometimes 3 seems to be taking it a bit too far, especially when there's no real reason for the vote. Some people find it more scummy than others.

Pressure does help open up games, but there's not much pressure in the RVS because there's nothing to defend against.

Koch, I don't see gandalf displaying much aggressiveness towards you. Gandalf was very aggressive in the game he played with me in the beginning, but he got much better in terms of that over the last game. I don't really see any of his posts being very aggressive.

I will be V/LA from tomorrow until July 4th, not being able to post on either of those days.

If a replacement is necessary, I understand, but if it isn't, I will be :D .

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”