Pick Your Power III: A Brave New World

Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1525 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 am

Post by Hoopla »

SpyreX wrote: 1.) Did you like the game?
2.) Did you let the setup?
3.) What would you keep?
4.) What would you change?
1.) Yes and no. There were times where I was very uninspired, and other times when it was great fun. There was a good crowd in this game - but it's a shame how one-sided it was (like every other PYP game).

2.) Yes, I think. The set-up was perhaps too rich with investigative roles, which was overcompensation for the last game, when scum destroyed the town quite easily. The masons were also very powerful, especially if they managed to get roles like Weak Doctor/Bomb. The scum did quite well in the draft, getting every role they wanted, but I think they played poorly and the town got lucky with results more than any good play from town.

It's hard to gauge what the right balance is, and it's easy to think it's overcompensation with all the additional investigative roles, but I think if the two scumteams from PYP 2 and 3 swapped, it would have produced two very even games. The fact that scum played well in PYP 2, and quite poorly (with the exception of Elli) this game clouds the true balance of the game, and creates a contrast between the two which seems exaggerated.

3.) The odd and even night vigs were great ways to water down it's potency, and even though scum got both, there was an increased chance of town finding them with inclusions of the gunsmith. It was still a risk going for those roles too. With town knowledge on how destructive they can be, there was always going to be a vig witch hunt if they misfired.

I'd keep the fruit vendor too, just for the sheer novelty of it. It's nice having a mostly useless role, because it gives people low in the draft a viable option if they want to hand out fruit to people.

The weak doctor is a more attractive role than a regular doctor, but it can't be couple with the masons, as they are too powerful together.

4.) I'd definitely drop the masons - it guarentees confirmed town at some point in the game, and the role combinations available were quite powerful, that it made things difficult for scum. With an influx of investigation roles (and a decrease of evil scum roles), I don't think the masons were needed, and probably swung things too much in the town's favour.

The pre-game also needs a bit of tweaking, and I agree with whoever said the draft needs better explanation, because again, there were several people who didn't get the draft and how it worked. Here is an idea;

Drop the masons. When sign-ups finish, lock the pre-game thread, so town can't talk/try and break the game. This prevents dice-rolling/number fixing/massclaim and smalltown attempts which keeps the integrity and appeal of the set-up alive. Then announce it is Night 0, and this is the time to send in your numbers. Scum can talk during this period. Then announce the draft order and get players to choose their roles. Once that is all sorted out, the game can begin.

This gives scum an advantage in their preparations, as town don't have any. It also means, players don't need to follow a 200 post pre-game thread with everyone planning and talking. I don't think that is needed at all, and you never see games where town talk before the game. This should be an exclusive scum-power.

I'd also drop one or two of the investigation roles and swap in something slightly less powerful. Losing the cop wouldn't be a bad idea (it wasn't even used this game), unless you bring in something like a Framer who can make someone guilty/plant guns on them. I think losing the masons/pre-game stuff is enough to balance out this set-up though. A competant scumteam that chose a better set of roles could certainly have done a lot better in this game - they were too focused on getting roles that would help them, rather than choosing roles that block the amount of power town has.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1526 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:44 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

Hey Hoopla

That post of yours set my scumdar on fire again.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1527 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:51 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Might be interesting to add an alignment converter role. It would make scum a GF and town a miller.

Agree with removing the masons.

And weak doc is pretty powerful, but without the masons it diminishes in power significantly.

Agree gunsmith +cop +watcher +tracker +weak doc is overkill
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1528 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:53 am

Post by Hoopla »

DrippingGoofball wrote:Hey Hoopla

How can I fix myself to be town DGB?
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1529 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 3:04 am

Post by PranaDevil »

4.) I'd definitely drop the masons - it guarentees confirmed town at some point in the game, and the role combinations available were quite powerful, that it made things difficult for scum. With an influx of investigation roles (and a decrease of evil scum roles), I don't think the masons were needed, and probably swung things too much in the town's favour.
Especially when you consider that the masons wound up being two of the scummiest people on the town's side. ;)
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1530 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 3:08 am

Post by Hoopla »

shaft.ed wrote:Might be interesting to add an alignment converter role. It would make scum a GF and town a miller.
I actually kind of like this. In the last game and this one especially, town has been known to block scum roles by taking them, without any penalty. This is a different scenario, as becoming millerized is a definite risk to prevent scum having a GF.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1531 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 3:11 am

Post by SerialClergyman »

Hey, I enjoyed the game for the brief period I was alive. I think the latter stages was marred by too many roles making the game not really mafia - pure scumhunting rarely came into it, hence all the NO U posts.

I concur, ditch the masons. Even without any strategy or manipulation of role choices, just having 2 confirmed town is seriously powerful.

I don't necessarily agree about the investigative roles - I think scum should have just picked more of them. With 5 scum you can bus one with a result and get yourself a win-the-game pass.

Vigs are good, but I'd make it so first person to pick vig gets odd, second person gets even. Otherwise it becomes wifom-y to even guess which one to choose, which i think is meh.

Perhaps giving one member of the mafia godfather status pre-picks is a solution to the investigative stuff? Something like that?

I still totally disagree that a massclaim would have been a good idea. I think with the killing power scum had (2 kills a night for 2 nights, and probably more) they could have rushed through all the investigates and we'd have been in more trouble.
I'm old now.
manho
manho
Mafia Scum
manho
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1532 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 4:34 am

Post by manho »

Sando wrote:Pom was pretty much psychic as well, picking both vigs on their kill night. Also lucky that she didn't target me onto Manho when he died :P
you target me also? i get a mango from zang that day. so there were 3 people targetting me at the same time.

1.) Did you like the game?
2.) Did you let the setup?
3.) What would you keep?
4.) What would you change?

1. yes, as i haven't won a game for a long time. but no, as it is too lopsided and i'm really bad at scum-hunting.
2. yes, the draft system is excellent. people getting vanilla can't blame the mod. i really like the redirector role. as it can instant kill a scum, if i have the skill of Pom. Pom as the redirector would have made 2 scums suicided.
3. the 2 vigs, tracker, watcher, gunsmith, weak doc, neighborizer, and of course the redirector.
4. i would drop the cop, as it is too strong a town pr, unless you add in a godfather or a framer as a counter balance. i would also drop the mason, or the weak doc, as, obviously, they are too strong. maybe you should try adding in a SK next time.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1533 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 5:08 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

Hoopla wrote:
DrippingGoofball wrote:Hey Hoopla

How can I fix myself to be town DGB?
Agree with everything I say! ;-)
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1534 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 7:19 am

Post by SpyreX »

So:

1.) Drop the masons.
2.) Lock the pregame.
3.) Add an inverter (which I almost did).
4.) Nix an investigative role - this is tough: cop / inverter is a decent blend. gunsmith / maybe the scum not having all the vigs would be nice.

Needless to say I REALLY appreciate the feedback - PYP is still looking for a sweet spot where the draft isn't just machine down the line.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Pomegranate
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1535 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 am

Post by Pomegranate »

SpyreX wrote:2.) Lock the pregame.
Definitely. Quite a few people found me scummy at the start of the game simply for not taking a part in all the discussion. When I join a game, I want to play a game, not worry that everyone is going to think that I'm scum because I didn't do something
that wasn't even a part of the game

Also, how would a converter work? (If a mafiate is converted, why would he not spill the scumteam? People would be suspicious at first, but once one person from his list was lynched, they would just follow it for the win.)
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1536 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 10:27 am

Post by Hoopla »

Pomegranate wrote:Also, how would a converter work? (If a mafiate is converted, why would he not spill the scumteam? People would be suspicious at first, but once one person from his list was lynched, they would just follow it for the win.)
No Pom, an
inverter
. So, a townie choosing it becomes a miller (appears guilty to cop/gunsmith). A mafiate choosing it would then become a GF (appears innocent to cop/gunsmith).
Pomegranate
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1537 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 am

Post by Pomegranate »

Ahh, much clearer, thanks. Because shaft.ed used the word converter, and I got all confused.

Also Hoopla, why did you think I was scum? Was it simply because I didn't participate pregame in the dice-roll?
Show
"You're a silly Pom. Silly silly girl." -Fate

"I didn't want to use you Pom... I never killed you. I didn't endgame you it was my evil buddies!
Sowwy >_<" -scumFate.

"Pom was on my "I will not kill, and I shall seek vengeance upon the death of them" list." -CSL
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1538 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 11:35 am

Post by Hoopla »

Pomegranate wrote:Ahh, much clearer, thanks. Because shaft.ed used the word converter, and I got all confused.

Also Hoopla, why did you think I was scum? Was it simply because I didn't participate pregame in the dice-roll?
You reminded me of Pom scum in CB's mini normal - you seemed to be overjustifying your opinions, keeping your options open, and walking on eggshells - trying not to offend. Plus being high up on the draft, and me not thinking soras was scum helped.
Sando
Sando
Mafia Scum
Sando
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1539 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by Sando »

What would be the real downside of not assigning alignments till after the draft, but before role-picks. Then there's basically no point in rigging the draft. Scum lose some advantage in being able to set up their picks, but they'd lose a lot more if it got rigged. Remove Masons and that might level it a bit?

Masons are pretty hard to quantify as a power in this, they can be insanely powerful, or basically just confirmed townies later. Probably too much randomness to be balanced.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1540 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Post by SpyreX »

The big one is that part of the great scum machination schemes is when a scumteam bunkers down and tries to manipulate the draft too. That may be my favorite part.

At least this game is another definite notch in my "masons = scum" theory.

I'll nix masons next time. I think removal of empowerer + splitting of vig is enough.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1541 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

In a game where there is stacks of role information, two confirmed town (that can HAVE ROLES) is too powerful, I think. Let alone actually strategising/coordinating drafts.
I'm old now.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1542 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 am

Post by shaft.ed »

You could weaken the masons by assigning them post role drafting.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1543 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 6:42 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Or perhaps having mason as a "pick", the first two who pick mason get it. Of course, you're also banking on somebody else picking mason as well then. But it also means it's no longer a confirmed role either.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1544 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Hoopla »

I think a straight drop of the masons is for the best. Swap in an inverter for something else, and you're probably quite close to the sweet spot I think. I wouldn't mind switching up a pro-scum role or two, also. Vengeful might be worth reconsidering.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1545 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 am

Post by Hoopla »

Along with a lock on the Queue thread during the draft system.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”