Newbie 922: Day 3

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 922: Day 3

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 am

Post by Phate »

You wake up to another perfect morning in your idyllic, generic town. Birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, and there's a man hanging outside your window. It seems that Councilman Jaquan had been in debt to the mafia! A hasty inspection procures a note. It reads:

Dear Citizens of Queens' Toakwell,

This man owed us some money, and he couldn't pay. So we killed him. Remember to be up-to-date on your payments, and please use the Mafia brand name for all your illegal needs.

Sincerely, the Mafia.

As the remaining members of the Village Council (there used to be ten), you will do your best to root out this evil! Besides, all of you are also in debt to the mafia, and you don't have the money handy. There's a problem, though. You know that the two mafia members in Queens' Toakwell are also members of the Council, but you're not sure just whom. The only way to settle this is to lynch them before they kill you!

It is currently
Day 2
. The deadline is
Tuesday, May 11
. With
5 alive
, it's
3 to lynch.

Living Players: 5

Acosmist
Edprata
RayFrost
Furry*
Elementary Fermion
Independent John
Nachomamma8^
Sniper
BridgesAndBaloons
Ellibereth*

Dead Players: 4

Lawls,
Townie
, lynched Day 1
danger1030
Cojin*,
Doctor
, killed Night 1
havingfitz*,
Townie
, lynched Day 2
Panacea^,
Townie
, killed Night 2

Players marked with a caret (^) are Semi-experienced players. If you have any questions about semis, feel free to ask these players. More information about semi-experienced players can be found here.
Players marked with an asterisk (*) are Inexperienced-Challenged. They suffer from a lack of inexperience, but please treat them with the same respect you would treat anyone else. More information about inexperienced-challenged players can be found here.
Last edited by Phate on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:32 am, edited 22 times in total.
I will fuck up your name and gender. Deal with it.

PM me to replace into Infection Mafia, a semi-open Mini Theme.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:59 am

Post by Phate »

Welcome to Newbie Game 922! Before posting, please read the rules and information in posts 0-2 in this thread. Remember to check back often and read your role PM carefully. If you have any questions, ask the ICs and SEs (Inexperience-Challenged players and Semi-experienced players) in the thread - that's why they're there. If you don't receive a satisfactory answer, or if you want to ask a question without revealing any information to the other players, contact me with your question either by PMing me or by using bold text in the thread to get my attention (Ex:
Mod: What's the square root of 4?
).

Rules and Information

Phase Rules and Information
  • Pregame
    is the phase before the game while players are confirming. During this phase, the thread will be locked.
  • Day
    is the phase that begins after the Pregame phase and after each Night phase. Each Day phase has its own number; the first Day phase is Day 1 (commonly abbreviated as D1). The thread will be unlocked during this phase. Once a majority of votes or the deadline has been reached, the game moves to the Twilight phase.
  • Twilight
    is the phase that begins after each Day phase. The Twilight phase is simply the time after a majority or deadline is reached, but before I check the thread. During Twilight, all players may post as normal, but votes and unvotes will not be counted. Once I check the thread, the game moves to the Night phase.
  • Night
    is the phase that begins after each Twilight phase. Each Night phase has its own number; the first Night phase is Night 1 (commonly abbreviated as N1). The thread will be locked during this phase. Once the deadline is reached, the game moves to the next Day phase.
Game Rules and Information
  • You may vote for a player at any time during the day by posting in the thread in the format
    Vote: Phate
    . Votes must be in bold.
  • You may vote to end the day in the format
    Vote: No Lynch
  • You may remove your vote in the format
    Unvote
    . If you wish to change your vote, you may change it by simply voting for another player; however, unvoting first (ex:
    Unvote; Vote: Vel-Rahn Koon
    helps me to provide accurate vote counts.
  • If the majority of players are voting for one player, he will be lynched and the day will end. If the majority of players are voting for a nolynch, the day will end without a lynch.
  • When you are dead, you may not post.
Activity Rules and Information
  • Days will have a deadline of three weeks. If the deadline is reached, the day will end without a lynch.
  • Nights will have a deadline of 72 hours. If your role has one or more actions, and your action(s) has not been submitted at the end of the deadline, you will not perform an action.
  • If you do not post in a 48-hour period, I will send you a PM that tells you to post (commonly referred to as a prod). If you do this multiple times, I may replace you. If you do not respond to a prod by posting in the thread within 24 hours, I may replace you. If you are replaced, you are no longer playing in this game and may not post.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for longer than 48 hours, please post in the thread and say so (make sure to post in it
    bold
    so that I notice it). Remember that when you signed up for this game, you made a commitment. If you can't honor that commitment, ask to be replaced; don't flake out without notifying me and your fellow players.
Miscellaneous Rules and Information
  • Until the game ends, you may not discuss this game outside of this thread with anyone unless I explicitly give you permission to do so, and only in the manner I indicate. You may not discuss any other ongoing games in this thread.
  • Do not edit or delete any of your posts.
  • Do not use invisible text (by setting the size to 0, or setting the color to blend in with the background, for example).
  • Do not quote any private messages from me. Do not pretend to quote any private messages from me.
  • My decisions are final. That said, I do make mistakes, so if you feel that I've made one, please inform me via PM. If you have an issue, problem, or complaint about my actions, do not post it in the game thread.
  • The color blue is my color.
    Do not use the color blue.
  • Remember that the ICs and SEs can help you with general game questions.
  • Violating the rules may result in a warning, a replacement, or a modkill, at my discretion. Modkills result in the violator's immediate death. Modkilled players cannot win. Modkills may result in the end of the day, at my discretion.
  • Once the game is over, I will post a link to the mafia discussion thread. If you are a member of the mafia and you do not want me to post a link at the end of the game, please notify me.
  • Remember that this is a game, and its primary purpose is enjoyment. Many people find it hard to enjoy a game full of personal attacks and discourteous behavior, so try to keep things civil.
Here are some links that may help you become a better mafia player.
Last edited by Phate on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:03 am

Post by Phate »

This game will be using the F11 setup. This setup is currently used for all newbie games. To prevent game-breaking strategies, these games are run with semi-open setups (meaning that all possible roles are known, but not the exact setup). More information about the F11 setup can be found here. More information about semi-open setups can be found here.

The setup will have one Mafioso, aligned with the mafia, and five Townies, aligned with the town. The remaining three players will be one of the following:
  • a Roleblocker, aligned with the mafia, and a Cop and Doctor, both aligned with the town.
  • a Roleblocker, aligned with the mafia, and two more Townies, both aligned with the town.
  • another Mafioso, aligned with the mafia, and a Cop and another Townie, both aligned with the town.
  • another Mafioso, aligned with the mafia, and a Doctor and another Townie, both aligned with the town.
These are all the possible Role PMs.

Mafia-Aligned Players

I wrote:You are a
Mafioso
! More information about your role can be found here.

You are a member of the
Mafia
, along with your partner, xxxx. You may communicate privately with the other members of the
Mafia
at the following link:
link
. You may only do so during Pregame and Night phases. During the day, try to blend in with the rest of the players and get someone else lynched. Remember that you can win even if you die.

Actions

Group Actions
  • Mafia Kill
    - During each Night phase, the
    Mafia
    may kill one player. Submit this by posting your choice in
    bold
    in the link provided above (Example:
    Mafia Kill: Phate
    ). The first name posted by any member of the
    Mafia
    in this manner is the
    Mafia
    's choice for the night, and the choice cannot be changed. You may submit
    No Mafia Kill
Win Condition

You win when all living players are members of the
Mafia
and there is at least one living player, or nothing can prevent the same.
Roleblocker

You are a member of the
Mafia
, along with your partner,
yyyy
. You may communicate privately with the other members of the
Mafia
at the following link:
link
. You may only do so during Pregame and Night phases. During the day, try to blend in with the rest of the players and get someone else lynched. Remember that you can win even if you die, and that even if your partner dies, you may use both of your actions.

Actions

Role Actions
  • Roleblock
    - During each Night phase, you may choose one player to block. Any actions that player performs will fail. They do not find out that they've been blocked, and you are not told whether you've successfully blocked an action. Submit this action by sending me a PM (Example:
    Roleblock: Phate
    ). If you do not want to perform an action, submit
    No Action
Group Actions
  • Mafia Kill
    - During each Night phase, the
    Mafia
    may kill one player. Submit this by posting your choice in
    bold
    in the link provided above (Example:
    Mafia Kill: Phate
    ). The first name posted by any member of the
    Mafia
    in this manner is the
    Mafia
    's choice for the night, and the choice cannot be changed. You may submit
    No Mafia Kill
Win Condition

Mafia
Town-Aligned Players

Cop

You are a member of the
Town
. Your results are guaranteed to be accurate, but if you are blocked by a Roleblocker, you will not receive a result. Remember that you can win even if you die.

Actions

Role Actions
  • Investigate
    - During each Night phase, you may choose one person to investigate. I will send you a PM that tells you if they are guilty or innocent. Submit this action by sending me a PM (Example:
    Investigate: Phate
    No Action
Win Condition

Town
Doctor

You are a member of the
Town
. Remember that you can win even if you die.

Actions

Role Actions
  • Protect
    - During each Night phase, you may choose one player to protect. The first kill that targets your chosen player is negated. Submit this action by sending me a PM (Example:
    Protect: Phate
    No Action
Win Condition

Town
Townie

You are a member of the
Town
. Remember that you can win even if you die.

Win Condition

Town

Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 am

Post by Phate »

danger1030 and Sniper haven't confirmed, so I'll be getting replacements for them as soon as I can. I'm going to go ahead and unlock the thread and start the game now, though.

Day 1 begins. Remember, with 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:35 am

Post by Panacea »

Hello, all. :) I'll be SEing here. To give an intro, from here we would typically move in the direction of an RVS (Random Vote Stage) in which we all toss around baseless votes and quantify the reactions of those voted, or an RQS (Random Question Stage) in which we all ask each other questions build reads on other players. Either direction is acceptable, with popular arguements to support both. Which sounds best to y'all? Looking forward to a great game.
Town: 2. 2.
Scum: 2. 1.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 am

Post by Phate »

BridgesAndBaloons replaces Sniper.

Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:52 am

Post by Phate »

Andrius replaces danger1030.

BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:54 am

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

Some questions to get us started:

1) Have you played with anyone on this list before?
2) What is your prior mafia game experience?
3) What is your favorite fruit?
4) Self-identify an aspect of your personality or mafia-playstyle.

1)nope.
2) I've played somewhere around ~10 games, all on this website.
3) Strawberries.
4) I tend to fan out and spread suspicion on multiple players, than ultimately pick one that seems scummiest and focus on them. My problem is that sometimes I'm unable to stop focusing on that one person, even if they start to appear to be pro-town. I'm working on it. I don't always follow this pattern.

vote: Panacea
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 am

Post by Andrius »

Hey everyone. I'm Andrius, replacing danger1030.

Answers:
1) No.
2) I'm playing this game and another game on this site.I've played one game with friends, over the internet. So I've only completed that one game.
3) Apples. Cheap, abundant, and they come in various types. Like there was this one with honey inside it. I have no idea how it got there, but it was delish. :D
4) Hmm... before I answer this I need to know
Mod: What do you do if there's a tie in the Day Phase voting upon deadline?

And since I believe in RVS:
Vote: Elementary Fermion

Here's the relevant bit from the rules.
I, in the rules, wrote:Days will have a deadline of three weeks. If the deadline is reached, the day will end without a lynch.
Since lynches require a majority, a tie in the voting means that there's no majority. Without a majority, the day will end with no lynch.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:17 am

Post by Andrius »

Got it. Thanks!

So then, in response to question 4, my numero uno strategy, at the moment, has been nullified by the rules. :|
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:33 am

Post by Phate »

I apologize, Andrius. You can replace into a game for your first game, but you can't be in multiple newbies at once until you have a completed game. Since you're also in Newbie 917, you can't replace into this one.

Cojin replaces Andrius/danger1030.

Elementary Fermion
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:05 am

Post by Elementary Fermion »

I have played several games before, though this is the first on this website.

So, with that out of the way. . .

Vote: Lawls
(easiest/shortest name to type)
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:06 am

Post by Panacea »

Bridges wrote: 1) Have you played with anyone on this list before?
1) Nope, although I've seen havingfitz in games I've read before.
2) Two games completed, two in progress (although one will be ending today, I believe), all on this site. I'm hoping that this game will be my final qualifier for IC.
3) Bananas? Though I've found that I have a hard time opening those native to the central Texas area. Just... a tidbit, lol.
4) I encourage humorous flavor in all my games. The nature of Mafia, while intellectually and strategically stimulating, I find is most rounded with some fun sprinkled in the mix. I tend to be a
very
active player, and will enthusiastically call out inactive ones. I feel inactivity to be hugely anti-Town. And I don't really feel comfortable naming actual strategy, nor do I think it's a good idea to ask that we do so. Why on earth would I give scum a color-by-number guide to how I intend to out them?
Bridges wrote:
That's it? But the (non)reasons in RVS are the best part!

vote: Lawls
Because everyone knows "lulz" is much cooler. ;)

And that sucks. I liked Andrius.

@Bridges: Would you mind providing an appropriate abbreviation?
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:07 am

Post by Panacea »

Ninja'd. Not putting Lawls at L3 this early, so

unvote: Lawls

vote: Elementary Fermion
for ninja'ing me outta my RV.
Acosmist
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 am

Post by Acosmist »

1. I have not played a game on mafiascum with anyone here.

2. Two games finished in the last...three+ years. Not both here.

3. Strawberries

4. I am dismissive of mafia strategies that I don't understand. I had a hard time, in my last game, understanding why I should bother random voting. I am trying to at least accept that things can be useful without my specifically understanding why they are useful.

Vote: havingfitz
because the name caught my eye.
Cojin
Cojin
Goon
Cojin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Post by Cojin »

Firstly
Unvote

Well this is my first game as an official IC .

1. None of these people unless the mod counts

2. enough to be an ic?

3. your a fruit.

4. each game has to be approached differently as the changing variable of different people changes the game drasticly.

Panacea you have an issue with putting lawls at l3 that early but in THE SAME POST you put elementary fermion at l3. Why is him being at L3 not an issue but lawls is?
Communism mafia will return next marathon
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Post by Panacea »

Cojin wrote: Panacea you have an issue with putting lawls at l3 that early but in THE SAME POST you put elementary fermion at l3. Why is him being at L3 not an issue but lawls is?
The issue with it is that your predecessor's vote blended with the Mod's answer and I missed it. Thank you for letting me know, though! Now two of my RV's have been ruined.

unvote;vote: Independent John
, because I think an SE duel would be entertaining. ;)
Lawls
Lawls
Goon
Lawls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Post by Lawls »

1. No don't think so
2. Played around 30-40 games on another site and one on this site.
3. Grapes
4. Like to play laid back and just observe the game

Vote Panacea
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

^Good posting.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with my Panacea vote.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
Independent John
Independent John
Goon
Independent John
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Post by Independent John »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote:Some questions to get us started:

1. No

2. Lots of Real Time Mafia in person and about 20 games or so of Forum Mafia and About 5 games of MS.

3. Mango

4. No true role that I stick to in every mafia game because this is based on role and the position you are put over time.
It's not a lie if you believe it.
Independent John
Independent John
Goon
Independent John
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Post by Independent John »

Vote Elementary Fermion
because I am intrigued to find out what it acutally means.

Hi all, I will be a second SE in this Mafia game and hopefully we'll get all the players making posts in the next day or so, so we can get D1 get active and going!
It's not a lie if you believe it.
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm

Post by havingfitz »

Finally...this game took $%^! forever to get started.

[IC hat on]As the original IC...welcome to all the newbies and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Looks like we have no shortage of experience in this game with two other IC's in addition to our SE's, each of whom I'm sure will be happy to clear things up/point things out as well. And even though odds say at least one of them is scum...I'm sure they won't lead you astray when offering guidance.[IC hat off]

Vote: Cojin
for being too excited about his IC status. :D
Town 57w-66l :: Not Town 29w-16l:: TBD 2
V/LA on weekends (i.e. RL > mafia)

The shortest GTKAS thread ever!
Edprata
Edprata
Townie
Edprata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:39 am

Post by Edprata »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote:Some questions to get us started:

1 - 2) My first online mafia game. I played a few games face to face, but my friends aren't too much into it.
3) Pineapples, specially in juice with mint.
4) well, considering this is my first game i will probably lay back a bit and observe how this go for the first days. But i'm not afraid of giving a vote to generate discussion, i have nothing to hide.

vote: panacea

So reading the posts so far, panacea sounded a little weird for me, first with that confusion about putting someone at L3, i don't see a problem with putting people in L3 (or even L2 as i am going to do now) it at least generates discussion and get the game out of the random voting stage (which seems beneficial to town), and why the problem with sharing information about your strategies? this also sound weird to me,
isnt this the stage we should be encouraging the accusations and discussions so we can have some basis as who to lynch?
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 am

Post by Panacea »

Lawls wrote: Vote Panacea.
You know, even in RVS, it's just fun to include a nonreason. Especially if you're entering a bandwagon.
Bridges wrote: I'm getting more and more comfortable with my Panacea vote.
Sweet; I would offer you a chair and some nibbles, but it seems you're already comfortable. ;)
Edprata wrote: So reading the posts so far, panacea sounded a little weird for me, first with that confusion about putting someone at L3, i don't see a problem with putting people in L3 (or even L2 as i am going to do now) it at least generates discussion and get the game out of the random voting stage
There is a problem when there've only been 13 posts and the player in question hasn't even arrived at the table yet. RVS in my opinion is best executed by a thumbscrew method, wherein you watch the recipient's reactions over time and see how they treat each new stressor (aka= vote). Not a firing squad method. -.-

[quote="Edprada'] why the problem with sharing information about your strategies? this also sound weird to me [/quote] How can that seem weird to you? He asked for playstyle first, which I have no problem offering. But by Bridges's admission of a tendency to tunnel alone, scum now know they might be able to encourage his tunneling enough for a bad vote. My strategy is not broadcasting my strategies.
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 am

Post by Panacea »

EBWOP. Sigh. This has been some of my worst MS posting ever. My apologies:
Edprada wrote: why the problem with sharing information about your strategies? this also sound weird to me
How can that seem weird to you? He asked for playstyle first, which I have no problem offering. But by Bridges's admission of a tendency to tunnel alone, scum now know they might be able to encourage his tunneling enough for a bad vote. My strategy is not broadcasting my strategies.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”