Mini #893 - Dollhouse Mafia (Game Over!)

elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:48 am

Post by elvis_knits »

So you're saying we should elect randomly?

That's like saying we should also lynch randomly because otherwise scum have too much control.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:48 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

elvis_knits wrote: We need to play this game like normal and decide who we think is scum, lynch them, and in the process, decide who we think is town, and vote for the imprint based on that.
We can't play this game like normal if we want to win IMO, 8-4 is unwinnable by town in regular mafia, thus playing this like a regular game of mafia seems a terrible call.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:51 am

Post by DeathNote »

Your wrong Elvis. You are bases your read on me from a plan that I suggested to benefit town. I want to point a few things out to you.

1) your making it seem like I am trying to get a power over other people when in fact, I am the only person who does not have a vote for being imprinted.

2) My plan was not my only suggestions, it was simply the most wordy one. I gave two options for town. One with powers and one without. The one without powers is pretty self explanatory and is obviously the route that Elvis wants to choose. I do not care what route we choose but I want people to give reasons for it.

Here is my next suggestion and lord forbid I am considered scummy for this one too. In everyone's next post, please state what option you want, like an unofficial vote count. Do you want to do this with powers, or without?

with powers
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:52 am

Post by elvis_knits »

TheButtonmen wrote:
elvis_knits wrote: We need to play this game like normal and decide who we think is scum, lynch them, and in the process, decide who we think is town, and vote for the imprint based on that.
We can't play this game like normal if we want to win IMO, 8-4 is unwinnable by town in regular mafia, thus playing this like a regular game of mafia seems a terrible call.
When I say play this game like a regular game of mafia, I mean use our brains and scum hunt while we think about the special mechanics and plan accordingly.

Rolling a dice like a monkey is not an effective strategy, and only robs the town of information.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:52 am

Post by DeathNote »

TheButtonmen wrote:
normally yes, but we will be playing with scum not having a night kill so far. So if lynch is the only cause of death, then the odds are decent for town.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:52 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

elvis_knits wrote:So you're saying we should elect randomly?

That's like saying we should also lynch randomly because otherwise scum have too much control.
I''d be down with imprinting 1 person over and over agian while voting NL over and over agian then once that person has found the scum, spend 4 days lynching them all. That gives us a straight up 66% chance of winning if we do it D1, do you think in a 8-4 game if we play regularly we have a >66% chance of winning?
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:53 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

DeathNote wrote: we will be playing with scum not having a night kill so far. So if lynch is the only cause of death, then the odds are decent for town.
Ah but if we hand out powers by vote how long do you think it will take the mafia to end up empowered?
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 am

Post by DeathNote »

Messiah wrote: DN, why haven't you removed your imprint votes yet?
No need. Its not like the next vote is makes it permanent. I am still for voting everyone so I will.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:55 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Deathnote, I obviously want us to use powers in this game. I want us to use them intelligently and not roll dice like monkeys, or give scum a huge advantage by giving everyone powers.

What I want is that we give powers to a few (or maybe 1) person that we think is town.

I am not advocating we play a vanilla game at all.
Talk nerdy to me.

DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:55 am

Post by DeathNote »

TheButtonmen wrote:
DeathNote wrote: we will be playing with scum not having a night kill so far. So if lynch is the only cause of death, then the odds are decent for town.
Ah but if we hand out powers by vote how long do you think it will take the mafia to end up empowered?
To me, playing regular means no powers and just using scum hunting tactics. This is a decent strategy, it just doesn't work for me as I am not that great at scum hunting and I have little experience with half the people in this game.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:57 am

Post by DeathNote »

elvis_knits wrote:Deathnote, I obviously want us to use powers in this game. I want us to use them intelligently and not roll dice like monkeys, or give scum a huge advantage by giving everyone powers.

What I want is that we give powers to a few (or maybe 1) person that we think is town.

I am not advocating we play a vanilla game at all.
That strategy is just as full of holes as everyone other one. No plan will be perfect, but some plans will yield better information then others. It is impossible to find a town player right now. Why? Because we have no bases to know if they are lying. Scum are just as good at acting town as everyone else.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:58 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

elvis_knits wrote: What I want is that we give powers to a few (or maybe 1) person that we think is town.
I completly agree with empowering only 1 person, but how would we decide who?

If you don't like dice rolls (and please enough with the ad hominem monkey comments) then what do you think is the best method for determining who we empower?
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Post by elvis_knits »

My method for choosing who to imprint would be that we play mafia and decide who we think is town

Seriously, if we're just going to dice roll and imprint one person repeatedly, no-lynching for days on end, waiting for the one person to draw a cop role and hit scum, well then I would ask for replacement right now because you don't actually need players for that and it's not going to be fun.

You don't even know what kind of roles the imprinter will get. What if they get tracker? Well, nobody else is going anywhere, so tracker will do nothing. What if the imprinter draw bulletproof or jailkeeper, or doc, or like a ton of other roles? The only role that will yield results with this plan is cop, and the cop has to be sane. And even if the imprinter draws cop once, they might not get it again.

HOW WILL THIS WORK?

We HAVE to still play mafia, and dole out the imprints carefully. But we cannot no-lynch forever and hope for the best.
Talk nerdy to me.

elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Post by elvis_knits »

And I am sorry if I offended you with the monkey comments. I get sort of excited sometimes.
Talk nerdy to me.

TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Yes it would take quite a while but a win for town on D25 is as much a win as a win on D4.
The dice a player and continually empower them while voting NL means we can't lose if we random a townsfolk (66%). Now if it takes thirty days, well we can't lose during them so why does it matter how long it takes?
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

Meh, I PM'd iam about this thinking it might be boringly breaking the game, but if you vote nl and imprint one person say 100 times, till they hve a cop result on everyone, then you lynch them. If they are scum, rinse and repeat with a different townie, if they are town follow the cop.

I think that breaks it, theoretically even with naive/paranoid cops if you did it enough.

But yeah, it would be boring as batshit.
I'm old now.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

SerialClergyman wrote:Meh, I PM'd iam about this thinking it might be boringly breaking the game, but if you vote nl and imprint one person say 100 times, till they hve a cop result on everyone, then you lynch them. If they are scum, rinse and repeat with a different townie, if they are town follow the cop.

I think that breaks it, theoretically even with naive/paranoid cops if you did it enough.

But yeah, it would be boring as batshit.
lol, last 2 pages have been a discussion over that very idea.
Vala Mal Doran
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by Vala Mal Doran »

I have a major problem with Buttonman's plan.

It sounds boring as hell.

Just sayin'.
And as your mother, you will listen to me, young lady. There will be no leading of these ships and armies on a mass-murdering crusade. Or else.
Vala Mal Doran
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Post by Vala Mal Doran »

On a lesser note, anyone familiar with how well or how poorly elvis can fake town as scum? I get paranoid of people I agree too much with early D1. <_<;
And as your mother, you will listen to me, young lady. There will be no leading of these ships and armies on a mass-murdering crusade. Or else.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Oh I fully agree it will be boring as hell. But hey blame the set up not me, the player distrabution makes it pretty much impossible to try to win this via voting.

The dice up a superman plan provides town the best chance to win thus I support it, hell maybe after we establish the the empower player X vote no NL thing and run it through a couple times the mod will let us call the game done.
Vala Mal Doran
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Post by Vala Mal Doran »

Vote: buttonmen

Stop trying to kill the game. Seriously.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Err so explaining the method that has the best win %'age for own is a scum tell?
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

You didn't have the step where you lynched the person with the power. And I PM'd the mod a while ago about it. And I don't think you have considered naive or paranoid results.

And it doesn't lead to a worthwhile game.

Having said that, voting you for trying to break the setup is scummy as.
I'm old now.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:47 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

SerialClergyman wrote: And I don't think you have considered naive or paranoid results.
I did, we just get a large enough sample size to determine what results were fraudulent.Only time that wouldn't work was if every cop role is paranoid/naive which I don't see happening in a game where the town is as weak as this one.
Vala Mal Doran
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Vala Mal Doran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Post by Vala Mal Doran »

TheButtonmen wrote:Err so explaining the method that has the best win %'age for own is a scum tell?
No, it's not. But I am placing a vote on you for trying to ruin the spirit of the game. That, and arguing over the mechanics is boring, and I am more than willing to place a dubious vote or two in order to start some actual scumhunting. :D

So.

@everyone: is my voting for buttonmen for blatantly trying to break the game scummy? Is buttonmen scummy for trying to break the game, or is being against the spirit of the game acceptable?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”