armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #1425 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:33 pm

Post by armlx »

Yeah, everyone kept saying logic was scummy but no one did anything. Then we pulled that reasoning on nonny.

Scum was Logic, me, and Adel.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #1426 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Post by Talitha »

Check out Axel's post 1415
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1427 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Post by nonny »

Oh okay.....so I was wrong all across the board. I would say kudos on getting my lynched but I think it was still more town laziness than any real case.
*insert bad joke here*
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1428 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:07 pm

Post by Adel »

here is our scumthread: http://www.quicktopic.com/41/H/tqSaxyB7hLWP
nonny wrote:Oh okay.....so I was wrong all across the board. I would say kudos on getting my lynched but I think it was still more town laziness than any real case.
I think of a game's
tempo
(number of calender days it takes to lynch) and
pace
(number of posts per day) as being discrete variables that can be manipulated to a player's advantage. When I noticed a lag during day 1, I spun up a theory that would get a lot of posts in reaction, and generate arguments that would make people's eyes bleed. A demoralized town quickly becomes an apathetic town, and that is a great environment to get away with lurking in.

If you are playing skilled opponents, consider convincing them to only use their "D" game; get them to leave their "A" game at home.
Werebear wrote:Just tell us who they were, please.

And, no offense, but there is no such thing as balance when there's just vanilla townies and scum. The town was completely blind the whole game. Even if there were only TWO scum, they still would have come out of this without any of theirs being lynched. Three is ridiculous, it's a number I'd expect with investigative roles.

And.... just because you have the ability to do something, and are told it's your job, doesn't mean you HAVE TO DO IT.

DrippingGoofball, I don't understand your statement. I was town. You (supposedly) are town. Why was "lynch werebear" a goal for you? Part of the reason Axelrod, our local vigilante, decided to kill me was because of you. Thus allowing the scum to win.
Sounds like sour grapes from a lazy player. Your lack of interest in the game made it much easier to win. I hate playing with people when I get the sense that they can't be bothered to pay attention to the game. I take mafia seriously, and winning against a town that contained you robs me of some of my satisfaction.

Mafia is a team game, especially when you are town. How on earth do you rationalize your playstyle as being something that helps towns win?

Do you even care if you win or lose a game?
Axelrod wrote:If not my worst game ever, it's definitely in the top two.

In hindsight, having seen what went on behind the scenes, I can't fault the set-up at all, we lost this one fair and square, and I get to say I lost "most" because I killed two townies all by myself.

Killed Mathcam because he looked suitably scummy, I figured there was no Cop role that would be "clearing" him, and he was a very likely lynch target the next day anyway.

After that, realized that I would only be able to "miss" one more time before the game would be over, so I just held my shot trying to wait until I had the most possible information. Didn't matter. Ended up shooting Werebear last night for mainly the same reasons - if he wasn't scum, he was going to be lynched anyway, and we'd lose anyway.

Bad read on Logiticus early which I never got around to re-visiting. Also never got around to reviewing Adel (though it's hard to imagine I would have suddenly become certain she was scum from that). Every time I made a move towards Coron/Armlx, somthing else came up to distract me. I always think the people who attack me are scum. Character flaw.

Town definitely had some bad luck with Macros (apparently) being a complete idiot, and Glork just not getting himself involved in the game ever.

Seems like the biggest area of concern would be the scum and vig. targeting each other in the Night. What happens if the scum PM me to tell me I am dead
before
I have decided who to shoot at? What do I do then? Come back with "oh yeah, well, you're dead too, ha ha ha." I think not.

I sent in the hit on Werebear very quickly last night specifically to avoid any possible ethical dilemmas if the scum decided to go after me. Basically I was trying to put the dilemma on them - if I do hit a scum and tell him he's dead, does he tell his fellow scum, and/or do they retaliate, or try to just kill the person they think they would have killed anyway assuming they didn't know who the vig. was.

@Werebear: Adel, Logiticus, Armlx were the scum

I was getting worried there towards the end. If you had just one more day , I'm pretty sure we would've fallen like a house of cards.
Talitha wrote:Ouch! It hurt to lose this one, but I know I played poorly.

Well done scum.

I knew it was Adel when nonny came up town.
how?
Adel, you're a pretty scary player.
I love to hear that. Thanks!

I was really terrible when I stated playing. I lost 7 out of my first 10 games.
And I never really suspected armlx, you're rather scary too. Least I was right about logic, but well played to you too, and kudos to your scum partners for never letting a bandwagon on you get rolling, and never appearing to protect you in any way.
I put a lot of thought into this game. When I got my role PM, I knew I would have to play my heart out to win. I probably paid close attention to this game more consistently than any other game I've played recently, and thanks to this game I've now won nine out of my last ten games.

My goals for this game:
1. Win, without any of the townies feeling cheated.
2. Win by as large of a margin as possible.
3. Win without apology.

It was a pleasure playing all of you in this unusual game!

@mod:
ha!
could you post some of your notes about the set-up? How did you think things could go bad, or get ugly? What is your analysis of how your experiment worked out?
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1429 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Post by Axelrod »

armlx wrote:Axel, if you shot N3, it would have been 7 alive. 4-3.
Right, I said that wrong before. I
think
what I was thinking was that if it's 4-3 the next day, and we mis-lynch then it's 3-3 going to night and nothing I do makes a difference anymore. I can't do any better than keep it a draw for the next day, which is a non-winning proposition.

Basically, I had one chance to miss either way, N3 or N4. So I held it to try and get the most information.

Edit to Eymp Tyg: I am most curious about the reasoning for leaving the players in the dark as to the nature of the set-up. I'm not sure what this blind element added other than some confusion, annoyance and frustration.
zu_Faul
zu_Faul
Mafia Scum
zu_Faul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1430 (ISO) » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:32 am

Post by zu_Faul »

Yeah, vanilla. Fuck you whoever killed me N0.

Thanks.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1431 (ISO) » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:25 am

Post by Adel »

zu_Faul wrote:Yeah, vanilla. Fuck you whoever killed me N0.

Thanks.
you are welcome ;)
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #1432 (ISO) » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:35 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Adel is proof that personal attacks = scummy.

I don't think I had too much of a good read on any of the other scums, but I def thought Adel was scummy, and tried ot push that lynch. But it didn't happen.
axelrod wrote:Edit to Eymp Tyg: I am most curious about the reasoning for leaving the players in the dark as to the nature of the set-up. I'm not sure what this blind element added other than some confusion, annoyance and frustration.
I agree. I don't know if I would have signed up for this if I had realized what I was getting into. I felt a bit screwed by it... giving Coron responsibility for vote counts??? That sucked. Having a player whose job is to edit the death posts just made it seem like someone was abusing the no-mod setup. I think it made many people apathetic, and low posting always favors scum.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #1433 (ISO) » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Post by Talitha »

Adel wrote:how?
Not sure and i don't know if I could have convinced anyone else had the game not been over. :) It was just one of those epiphany moments that followed the "dammit" moment of having a lynched a townie.

I actually liked the mysterious setup of this game. It was a pity that it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. Without a mod to keep things rolling, the confusion and apathy affected everyone. Still, I enjoyed it.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1434 (ISO) » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Post by Adel »

I am more proud of this win than any other, and I've won 9 out of my last 10 games, and 4 out of my last 5 as scum. The players in this game, including replacements, were all strong players.

remember the sign-up thread?
Guardian wrote:Wow@player list.

Next game I run I'm gonna have all these requirements and be all mysterious like and see what happens ^_^.
rajrhcpfreak wrote:
Zindaras wrote:I'm going to have to /out on this one, even though it saddens me that I will be missing out on Phoebus, Macros, raj, math, Pooky, Coron, Goofy and Glork.

*whimpers*
i wish there was an "awesome game". and the 30 most awesome people on the site could play. i feel like just 14 of us isnt enough.
who expected the scum to win with no deaths?
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1435 (ISO) » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Post by nonny »

The players in this game, including replacements, were all strong players.
really? yay! I've never been called a strong player ^.^

I liked this set up, it was frustrating but I liked it.
*insert bad joke here*
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1436 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:37 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

oops

my bad mathcam

:P