Newbie 74 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Newbie 74 - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:31 am

Post by mathcam »

Living in the Italian town of Robardeniro ain't easy. A new crime syndicate is in town, and its threatening to kill the others off, one by one. You'll have to band together using your respective skills to determine who among you will suffer vigilante justice.

More Alive then Dead (1)

KingEnigma

More Dead then Alive (6)

Dmi (townie)
JDTAY (doc)
Locus Cosecant (scum)
Talitha (cop)
inHimshallIbe (town)
Myopia (town)

No current deadline

I will be using what has become the standard newbie game set-up. Roles, as sent, appear below.

Note: in view of the number of players and set-up, we will start in the day phase, although most larger games start with a night.

The roles:

You are the mafia (2)
. You may only talk with each other during the game's "night" (and pre-game) not during the "day." You let me know before the night's deadline who will be your victim. You win the game when all the other players are dead.

You are the cop (1)
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a PM with a name of your choice, and I will let you know whether that player is mafia or not. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are the doctor (1)
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a PM with a name of your choice, and that player cannot die if attacked by the mafia that night. You cannot heal yourself. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are a townie (3)
. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.
Last edited by mathcam on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:32 am

Post by mathcam »

The Rules
:
  • Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be
    fun
    . Do your part.
  • Votes must be in
    bold
    . If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
  • Please be attentive and
    unvote
    , if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not
    required
    , but I’d appreciate it.
  • Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may
    vote: no lynch
    – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
  • The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
  • Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts
  • Don’t quote any PMs from me.
  • If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be
    fun
    . Do your part.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:39 am

Post by mathcam »

Roles are out. The game will begin when everyone has read their PM.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:05 am

Post by mathcam »

Awesomely fast PM-reading everyone! I predict good things from you people. In any case...

With 7 alive, it will take 4 to lynch!!!! GAME ON!

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:24 am

Post by mathcam »

*bumping* over locked threads
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:28 am

Post by JDTAY »

Important rule of Mafia: Go after the girls first, they're the craftiest.

vote: Talitha
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:41 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

Each given person has a 2/3 chance of being pro-town, and a 1/3 chance of being scum. Given this, it would make sense to keep the cunning people
alive
, so that they could probably use their cunning to ferret out scum, right?

*not voting, because doesn't have any suspicions and random votes are silly*
Show
[size=75]Stats:
Pro-Town: 14 of 17 games
Doctor: 3 of 17 games
Cop: 2 of 17 games
Wins: 12 of 17 games
Lynched Scum: 16 of 27 lynches
Vig-killed Scum: 1 of 1 vig-kills
Survived/NightKilled/Lynched: 5/11/1 games
[/size]
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:22 am

Post by JDTAY »

No, no, that's what Tally wants you to think. Resist it, dude.
Jaggedcrags
Jaggedcrags
Townie
Jaggedcrags
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:51 am

Post by Jaggedcrags »

Hello! Techically a newbie here. I've read some of the threads here and on anogher site though, but I never played yet.
These things usually start with a random vote to get people talking, right? Guess I'll do that...
vote:kieron

Nothing against you, dude.

Also, I think I should tell everyone that my posting schedule will be somewhat erratic since I live on the other side of the world (from the States).
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:29 pm

Post by kieron »

This is my second game ever (first on this board), so be gentle!

This may be bad logic (please correct me if it is), but my thinking is that these random votes are more likely to hit a townie than mafia, so they help the mafia. Why not wait until day #2 to vote (when the cop has some information)?

Kieron
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:32 pm

Post by kieron »

Also, I'm hoping that the titles don't really mean what they say (this game would be too easy!). ie, that JDTAY and Locus Cosecant are "Mafia Scum"...

How are the titles set anyway?
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:44 pm

Post by Talitha »

kieron wrote:This may be bad logic (please correct me if it is), but my thinking is that these random votes are more likely to hit a townie than mafia, so they help the mafia. Why not wait until day #2 to vote (when the cop has some information)?
It's generally accepted that a no lynch (especially on day 1)is bad for the town. Besides, it's not much fun. :) We could talk about a no lynch, but personally I'd prefer to play the voting, unvoting, FOSing, etc kind of game and eventually lynch someone today.
Also, people very rarely keep their random vote on. They usually unvote and vote someone else when they find someone they think is supicious.
kieron wrote:How are the titles set anyway?
Townsperson, Goon, and Mafia Scum are automatic titles, given according to how many posts a person has. Once you've been around for a while you may be nominated for a custom title, in the Title Fairy thread.
JD wrote:Important rule of Mafia: Go after the girls first, they're the craftiest.
We also attack viciously when cornered :twisted:
locus wrote:random votes are silly
vote: InHim

Being silly is more fun though.
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:07 pm

Post by kieron »

Talitha wrote:
kieron wrote:This may be bad logic (please correct me if it is), but my thinking is that these random votes are more likely to hit a townie than mafia, so they help the mafia. Why not wait until day #2 to vote (when the cop has some information)?
It's generally accepted that a no lynch (especially on day 1)is bad for the town. Besides, it's not much fun. :) [snip]
Yeah, I could see that it wouldn't be as much fun, but...WHY is it generally accepted to be bad for the town?
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:48 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

kieron wrote: Yeah, I could see that it wouldn't be as much fun, but...WHY is it generally accepted to be bad for the town?
Because, information is what wins the game, and lynching is the best way for definite information. Plus, other leads develop as a lynch draws near.

Now, we especially need to lynch Day One in a Newbie Game. In essence, we have two chances to hit at least one scum. Try this :

Code: Select all

Lynch Pro-Town Day 1           :   No-Lynch Day 1
6 Remain                       :   7 Remain
Mafia successful Night 1       :   Mafia Successful Night 1
5 Remain                       :   6 Remain
Day 2 is lynch right or lose   :   Day 2 is lynch right or lose

A similar graphic to the one above was shown to me when I asked the same question you did, kieron. If you need further explanation, please feel free to ask away.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:59 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

The problem with that logic, inHimshallibe, is that it assumes that the doctor fails. A successful doctor protection on either night 1 or night 2 makes no-lynch a noticeably better option than lynching pro-town. Now, I'm not too pessimistic about our ability to ferret out and lynch scum; I think it's better to lynch than to no-lynch. However, I think leaving out the possibility of a doc protection skews the data a bit.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:06 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

I was going to bring in the doc in a final couple of sentences, but I hit "Submit" instead of "Preview."

Of course, LC, if the doc is successful, then it greatly increases the town's chances of winning. However, one must prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:18 pm

Post by mathcam »

Official Vote Count
:

Talitha (1, JDTay)
Kieron (1, JaggedCraggs)
inHim (1, Tally)

Cam
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:52 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

This game needs to get off the ground. Lurker huntin' time, I guess.

vote:Myopia

Also, mathcam, when you do votecounts, can you include a list of who's not voting? That information is helpful.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:14 pm

Post by Myopia »

Hi all, pms were still being checked on friday afternoon when i last had a connection. I spent all weekend moving and my access will be limited to working hours during the week until a) i get a new home connection and b) i manage to put my computer together from its many component pieces at the moment.

"A new crime syndicate is in town, and its threatening to kill the others off, one by one."

Hm sounds like even the townspeople in this game are scummy :)

Inhimishallbe, In your chart with a no-lynch you end up with 6 on day 2. If you miss a lynch day 2 you end up with 2:2. Town cant win but isnt there a potential for an unbreakable tie?? Normally, I find the accidental ommision of pertinent information a little suss but the chance of a succesful save by the doc is preety low.

What I want to discuss is whether the cop should come out day 2 as soon as they have done an investigation. Seems to me that with this set up, and only 1 kill possible a night, as long as the doc (and the cop of course) are still alive that will always be the best percentage play. If theres 2 role claims then you end up at worst with a confirmed scum and a confirmed townie. Id like to hear everyone elses thoughts on this.

I dont like random votes. No vote for now.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:01 pm

Post by Talitha »

If the number of mafia equals the number of town, the mafia win. 2 mafia and 2 townies is a mafia win.

Whether the cop should come out tomorrow is a question that can be better answered tomorrow, when we know what situation we are in.
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:02 pm

Post by Myopia »

Ah I see thanks. In other versions of mafia and werewolf ive played the game can tie on the basis that the baddies cant win unless they actually outnumber the goodies.

I agree the variables decrease markedly tommorow. Just wanted to raise the issue squarely at the outset as the newbie set up with 1 killing group, 1 cop and 1 doctor seems to favour it while the doctor lives.

After re-reading the (short) thread to date the scummiest behavior seems to be jdtay in voting for an experienced (and impliedly a skilled analyst) player in talitha. However that was so early that I cant put much weight to it at this point. Half a
FOS jdtay

Otherwise, kieron is going out of his way to make it clear he is a new player which means he might be trying to cultivate that appearance to look less suspicious or, shock horror, he might simply be what he seems.

Note that locus supported talitha in one of his first posts which maybe relevant if one turns out to be scummy but also seems relatively benign.
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:56 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

That's some pretty crappy logic there, Myopia. First you essentially echo the reasoning I posted against jdtay's vote on Talitha, then you try to set up a link between me and Talitha because I posted that reasoning? I can't see why it's an acceptable sentiment for you to state but not for me. Hypocrisy is a good sign of someone who's looking more to attack than to find scum.

Speaking of hypocrisy, your post put suspicion on kieron for acting newbie-ish, right after you'd just finished demonstrating your newbishness by asking about the situation where 2 town and 2 scum remain alive.

Also, your post contained a veritable mountain of weasely language. You cast aspersions on three different people, but you put half an fos on one of them. You said phrases like " I cant put much weight to it at this point", "he might simply be what he seems", and "also seems relatively benign". Kinda looks to me like you're trying to lay low while still looking like you're posting content.

To sum up then, I'm quite happy with my vote.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:25 pm

Post by JDTAY »

Okay, Myopia, I guess I won't vote for any experienced players, even if they are mafia. :roll:
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:32 pm

Post by Myopia »

Hypocritical? Not at all. Im simply posting what are my (admittedly and expressly) initial responses to what is some very limited information.

I think your being overly defensive. The way you worded your post it seemed a bit personal (ie lets keep her around) and less about rejecting the obviously humorous argument. I even said that I thought it was benign.

Im just as new as keiron. Im not trying to suggest otherwise. Im just noting that his initial posts went a certain way. If it were to turn out later he was a skilled and experienced poster then that might be relevant. I wasnt sure about what would happen if it was 2 vs 2 so I asked.

Im not being weaselly. Im trying to appropriately qualify what Im saying. If I say - I think Jdtray is scum because he voted talitha straight out of the blocks and vote for him then im being silly. I annoy him and I look like an idiot for taking seriously what was an obvious joke.

Essentially Im just trying to make some sense out of a few posts by pointing out my initial observations and making it clear that it is just that. Im trying to encourage discussion. Frankly, what other "content" do you suggest I add at this point?
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:44 pm

Post by JDTAY »

Personally, I think you're adding a bit too much content, Myopia. You're giving the mafia (and/or town) tons of ammunition to attack you with. When on the first day, keep it simple and make sure you don't say anything you have to take responsibility for unless you have a strong suspicion or solid information. In later days you can attack people as they attack you, when everyone has ammunition.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”