Newbie 965 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Jeffcole1
Jeffcole1
Goon
Jeffcole1
Goon
Goon

Newbie 965 (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:01 am

Post by Jeffcole1 »

For as long as you can remember, you've lived peacefully in this quiet little town. But now, trouble is brewing...agents of the Mafia have infiltrated your ranks and seek to take over by any means necessary. With no time to wait for the courts to deal with the problem, the nine of you have taken it upon yourselves to find the criminals and lynch them. But there's a problem--two of you are, in fact, the very criminals you're hunting! Who is loyal to the town, and who only has the Mafia's interests at heart?

Game Status:
Game Over

Alive:

silverbullet999, Townie, Survived
Nobody Special*, Townie, Survived

Dead:

mallowgeno, Townie, Lynched Day 1
Uite, Townie, Killed Night 1
DavidParker, Townie, Lynched Day 2
Thor665^
Beefster
dRool89
, Townie, Killed Night 2

Wraith, Mafia Roleblocker, Lynched Day 3

AGar^, Townie, Killed Night 3

quadz08, Mafia Goon, Lynched Day 4

^ - Semi-Experienced (SE)
* - Inexperience-Challenged (IC)

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article
Being a good IC.
Last edited by Jeffcole1 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
Current Games:
--Munchkin Quest Tournament (Game A: Jeffcole1 vs. RedPanda vs. Ravel vs. animorpherv1 vs. Kcdaspot)
--Shadow Hunters
--Haunted Mansion
Jeffcole1
Jeffcole1
Goon
Jeffcole1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:04 am

Post by Jeffcole1 »

Jeffcole1's Mafia Contract

As your moderator, I will:

1. Treat this game as a commitment, both to myself and to you, the players.
2. Resolve any and all disputes in a timely and unbiased manner. In any situation not covered by these rules, my word is final.
3. Post an updated vote count no less than once per real-life day, and as often as once per page if possible.
4. Prod anyone who fails to post in the thread for 72 consecutive hours (not counting weekends or U.S.-recognized holidays), or upon request by either at least three (3) living players or at least half of all living players, whichever is less; players so prodded must respond in thread within 48 hours of receiving said prod or be replaced. If three (3) prods are issued to a single player in a single game day, or if five (5) prods are issued to a single player over the course of the game, that player will be automatically replaced.
5. Be open to having any mistakes on my part pointed out in a civil manner, and correct such mistakes at the first opportunity.
6. Replace or, failing that, modkill any player found to be in violation of the rules listed below. Modkills will automatically end the day, and any player who is modkilled will be turned into a Neutral Survivor, and thus automatically lose, regardless of whether their original faction wins.
7. Inform all players if I anticipate losing access to the game for a period of time which would prevent me from carrying out the above obligations.

As players in this game, you are expected to:

1. Treat this game as a commitment to yourself, to your fellow players, and to me.
2. Confirm receipt of your role PM by return PM as soon as possible after receiving it, and include your full role name in your confirmation PM as proof that you have read and understand your role. Any player who fails to confirm within 48 hours of receiving their role PM is at risk of replacement.
3. Be civil to your fellow players and to me; no one likes a jackass.
4. Be active; at least one post per 24 hours is recommended. Also see the above rule regarding prods and replacement.
5. Refrain from using
purple text
in your posts, as this is my mod color. Anyone using purple text without intent to impersonate me will have said text edited to black and be given a warning. Anyone caught impersonating me for any reason will be forcibly replaced or, failing that, modkilled.
6. Refrain from attempting to hide text via invisible or small text tags, or via encryption. Any such text found will be made visible or simply deleted, and the offender will be given a warning.
7. Refrain from editing or deleting posts, should you have the ability to do so.
8. Refrain from communicating with other players outside of this thread, except where explicitly permitted by your role PM.
9. Refrain from discussing other games which have not ended, including those outside of this forum. A first breach of this rule will result in the offender receiving a warning; a second offense will result in forced replacement or modkill.
10. Refrain from further posting once your death scene has been posted. You are permitted one "Bah!"-type post, as long as said post does not contain any game-related information.
11. Refrain from quoting, or pretending to quote, any personal communications with me or with other players, including, but not limited to, role PMs, quicktopic/PM communications, and investigation results; doing so is grounds for an immediate modkill. Paraphrasing private information is allowed, but if your paraphrase is deemed too close to the actual content of the PM in question, you may be at risk of a modkill. If you're not sure, PM me first and I'll decide if it's acceptable.
12. PM me with any questions regarding your role or other private information; do not post such questions in the thread.
Bold
any requests made toward me in thread for ease of detection.
14. Post a notice in the thread if you anticipate being absent for longer than 48 hours. If you will be absent for a particularly long time, I may deem it necessary to replace you.
15. Have fun and enjoy the game.

Voting, Deadlines, and Lynches:

1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down). Once said simple majority is reached, unvotes will not stop the lynch.
2. Please submit votes as:
Vote: <name>
. Abbreviations are accepted, as long as it is clear who is being voted for. If you try to plant a trick vote by deliberately misspelling the target's name or messing up the formatting, I will count it as a real vote, with appropriate consequences. If something looks like a vote, but is ambiguous enough that it might not be, I will ask for clarification.
3. Please submit vote revocations as either
Unvote: <name>
or
Unvote
. Unvotes are not required before changing votes, but they are appreciated.
4. You may
Vote: No Lynch
- a simple majority of votes of this type are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
5. Once a simple majority is reached (for either a lynch or No Lynch), the game immediately enters Twilight. This lasts until I post an End of Day scene and lock the thread. All players may continue to post during Twilight, including the player to be lynched (if any).
6. In all MafiaScum.net Newbie Games, each Day phase will have a fixed, non-negotiable deadline of 3 weeks (21 days). This deadline may be shortened at my discretion if I feel discussion is lagging. If a simple majority is not reached by the deadline, No Lynch will occur. Each Night phase will have a non-negotiable deadline of 3 days. Any Night actions not submitted by the deadline will be forfeit, unless the owner's role PM says otherwise.
Current Games:
--Munchkin Quest Tournament (Game A: Jeffcole1 vs. RedPanda vs. Ravel vs. animorpherv1 vs. Kcdaspot)
--Shadow Hunters
--Haunted Mansion
Jeffcole1
Jeffcole1
Goon
Jeffcole1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:07 am

Post by Jeffcole1 »

The Setup

MafiaScum.net Newbie Games use a semi-open 9-player setup called F11, in which one of the following role distributions is chosen at random before the game starts:
  1. 1 Mafia Goon and 1 Mafia Roleblocker vs. 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, and 5 Townies
  2. 1 Mafia Goon and 1 Mafia Roleblocker vs. 7 Townies
  3. 2 Mafia Goons vs. 1 Cop and 6 Townies
  4. 2 Mafia Goons vs. 1 Doctor and 6 Townies
If setup 1 or 2 is chosen, and the Goon is lynched first among the Mafia team, the Roleblocker will be able to submit kills and roleblocks in the same night. (This is because roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker role, while killing is a function of the Mafia team as a whole.)

The Roles

Here are all of the possible role PMs that may appear in this game:
Mafia Roleblocker PM wrote:Welcome to <game name>,
<player name>
. You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
; your partner is
<name1>
, who is a Mafia Goon. During the day, your goal is to try to blend in with the town and avoid getting yourself or your partner lynched. At night, the two of you may talk to each other via PM and select another player to kill via PM to the mod. In addition, you (and you alone) may PM the mod with the name of a player to block; if that player attempts to use an action that night, it will not work. You may kill one player and roleblock another in the same night, or you can roleblock someone while your partner kills someone else.
You win when the Mafia comprises at least half of all living players. The game thread can be found here.

Please confirm via return PM.

Note: You may talk with your partner during Night 0 (the confirmation phase), but you will not be able to submit a kill or a roleblock until Night 1.
Mafia Goon PM wrote:Welcome to <game name>,
<player name>
. You are a
Mafia Goon
; your partner is
<name1>
, who is {also a Mafia Goon/a Mafia Roleblocker}. During the day, your goal is to try to blend in with the town and avoid getting yourself or your partner lynched. At night, the two of you may talk to each other via PM and select another player to kill via PM to the mod.
You win when the Mafia comprises at least half of all living players. The game thread can be found here.

Note: You may talk with your partner during Night 0 (the confirmation phase), but you will not be able to submit a kill until Night 1.
Cop PM wrote:Welcome to <game name>,
<player name>
. You are a
Cop
. During the day, your goal is to find the members of the Mafia and lynch them. At night, you may select a player other than yourself to investigate via PM to the mod. You will receive a message back telling you whether or not that player is a member of the Mafia.
You win when all members of the Mafia are dead. The game thread can be found here.

Note: In MafiaScum.net Newbie Games, a Cop's results are guaranteed to be correct (that is, there are no sanity issues). However, the Mafia may have a Roleblocker that can stop your investigations. If this happens, you will get "No Result".
Doctor PM wrote:Welcome to <game name>,
<player name>
. You are a
Doctor
. During the day, your goal is to find the members of the Mafia and lynch them. At night, you may select a player other than yourself to protect via PM to the mod. If the Mafia attempts to kill that player that night, the player will not die.

You win when all members of the Mafia are dead. The game thread can be found here.

Note: In MafiaScum.net Newbie Games, a Doctor’s protections will always work (that is, a player protected by a Doctor can never be killed by the Mafia that night). This protection does not extend to additional nights unless you target the same player again. Also, the mafia may have a Roleblocker that can stop your protections.
Townie PM wrote:Welcome to <game name>,
<player name>
. You are a
Vanilla Townie
. During the day, your goal is to find the members of the Mafia and lynch them. At night, you have no special abilities; you can only hope that the Mafia doesn’t come for you. In other words, your only abilities in this game are to think, post, and vote. Use them wisely!

Last edited by Jeffcole1 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Games:
--Shadow Hunters
--Haunted Mansion
Jeffcole1
Jeffcole1
Goon
Jeffcole1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 am

Post by Jeffcole1 »

Role PMs are being sent out. Please confirm by return PM.

Once at least 7 players have confirmed, the game will begin.
Current Games:
--Shadow Hunters
--Haunted Mansion
Jeffcole1
Jeffcole1
Goon
Jeffcole1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:39 am

Post by Jeffcole1 »

Still waiting on one player, but everyone else has confirmed, so let's start the game!

It is now Day 1. With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch. The deadline is Saturday, May 26, at 8:00 p.m. forum time.
Current Games:
--Shadow Hunters
--Haunted Mansion
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:34 am

Post by mallowgeno »

Do you mean June?

Hey guys what's up? This is my first game and I'm psyched!

Yeah, I did. Sorry about that.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:37 am

Post by mallowgeno »

Vote: DavidParker
Uite
Uite
Mafia Scum
Uite
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:39 am

Post by Uite »

Hi everyone!

First game for me too! At least on here, in this format. I've been playing face-to-face mafia for years now, so I'm curious how it compares.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:39 am

Post by quadz08 »

What's up, everyone? It's game number 1 and I'm excited! Wooooot.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:43 am

Post by Wraith »

NobodySpecial is obviously trying to hide something.

Vote: NobodySpecial

I've played a couple-three games off-site, hosted a few more. I'm still not that good at playing yet.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
Uite
Uite
Mafia Scum
Uite
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:48 am

Post by Uite »

I'm no great fan of random voting, so I'd like to propose the following list of questions:

1. Where you from?
2. Coke or Pepsi?
3. Are you nervous?
4. Whats your playstyle?And if you've never played before what would you do in a panicky situation?
5. Are you excited to play?
6. Lynch all lurkers?
7. Lynch all Liars?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:57 am

Post by quadz08 »

1. Tucson, Arizona
2. I don't drink soda
3. Somewhat? Not terribly so
4. Calm analysis and rational thinking
5. Yes!
6. No; I think lurking is often seen as a bad thing, when it isn't always. I feel like I might hang back from commenting occasionally if there's nothing that I can add to the conversation.
7. In most circumstances, yes. However, I've seen players lie for the good of town, but they can't tell town, because that would give them away.

Generally, general rules aren't a particularly good idea, in my opinion. Case-by-case is the way to go. Generally.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:21 am

Post by DavidParker »

Hey Uite, good questions.

1. Perth, Australia
2. Coke
3. No
4. My playstyle is winning.
5. I wouldn't say excited, but I'm looking forward to dominating this game.
6. Nah
7. Nah

I'd explain, but I don't give lessons, that'll cost you.

!vote mallowgeno
Trying to lynch off our strongest townie? I may not have one of those gay symbols next to my name, but I assure you that title belongs to me. Very wolfish indeed.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Uite
Uite
Mafia Scum
Uite
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:46 am

Post by Uite »

My, aren't we confident today? Unfortunately for you, you're not entirely convincing. To me, you come across as overcompensating for something. Your lack of good intentions perhaps? Although I could be wrong here and that is just your general personality. It's not enough for me to vote just yet, so for now:

FoS: DavidParker
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:09 am

Post by Wraith »

1. East Coast USA
2. Coke
3. No
4. I wing it, haven't played enough to have a specific style
5. Sure
6. No, because I usually lurk when I have nothing useful to say. That might have to change, though
7. I'd say yes, but I just did a game of Dethy where a Cop lied rather effectively, so I'm split ATM
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 am

Post by Wraith »

Also, I'd get an avatar but the lack of auto-resizing makes the system rather annoying. I don't think I have any images on my comp that qualify ATM.
Show

DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:21 am

Post by DavidParker »

Also, why are you asking about our playstyle and how we act in panicky situations?? Obviously that's information we won't reveal to everyone as it helps them whether you are mafia telling town how you will play, or town telling mafia what you do. Unless of course you lie, in which case, the question is redundant.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:33 am

Post by mallowgeno »

1. None of your business
2. Pepsi
3. I'm town therefore I have no reason to be
4. I'm usually seen as scummy. I'm sure ya'll will see this. If I'm at a point where I'm getting lynched, I don't usually fight it if I'm a blue.
5. Definitely! This is my first game on a forum!
6. Most of the time I say yes.
7. No. Sometimes town lies for its own good.

Unvote David
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:45 am

Post by quadz08 »

@DavidParker:

I don't think it's a big deal he's asking about playstyles. It's a pretty good way to get discussion started, that I've seen in other places. Plus, it gives the more experienced players a chance to help us out, right at the beginning.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:58 am

Post by quadz08 »

Also,
FoS: DavidParker
. You seem awful confident...
Uite
Uite
Mafia Scum
Uite
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Post by Uite »

Wraith wrote:Also, I'd get an avatar but the lack of auto-resizing makes the system rather annoying. I don't think I have any images on my comp that qualify ATM.
Why not make one yourself? You could download the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program, sort of like an open source Photoshop - http://www.gimp.org), take any image you want, maybe crop it, then scale it to max 100x100 pixels and 30 kB, and you're good to go.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by mallowgeno »

Wraith wrote:NobodySpecial is obviously trying to hide something.

I've played a couple-three games off-site, hosted a few more. I'm still not that good at playing yet.
What the heck do you mean by NobodySpecial is trying to hide something? He hasn't even posted yet.

Fos Wraith
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:55 pm

Post by mallowgeno »

@ Uite

Are you gonna answer your own questions?
Jeffcole1
Jeffcole1
Goon
Jeffcole1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Post by Jeffcole1 »

Vote Count 1.1:

mallowgeno (1): DavidParker
Nobody Special (1): Wraith

Not Voting (7): mallowgeno, silverbullet999, quadz08, Uite, AGar, dRool89, Nobody Special

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
Current Games:
--Shadow Hunters
--Haunted Mansion
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Post by DavidParker »

mallowgeno wrote:
Wraith wrote:NobodySpecial is obviously trying to hide something.

What the heck do you mean by NobodySpecial is trying to hide something? He hasn't even posted yet.

Fos Wraith
Well, we've found our first town idiot.

He's playing at the player's username... It's a random vote.. Just like I could have voted for Uite for having the shortest name..

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”