Newbie game 806: Game over (the scums win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h
Pronoun: He

Newbie game 806: Game over (the scums win)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:24 am

Post by Johoohno »

Birthday Bash - Newbie game 806

- Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to yooooooooooooooh.

Nope, this day isn't happy at all. At least not for John Doe, even though it is his birthday. His nine friends (that being the nine of you) finds John dead in his bed. And as you all enter his room singing, his mother soon hears in what manner the song ends and when she comes in and sees her baby boy (i.e. 250 lbs fluffy juvenile gamer of manflesh that is) she gets furious and locks you all in. And she won't open until you've sent out those responsible of the foul deed. So here you stand, nine brave young and unperverted souls, ready to flush out the perpetrators. Well, all nine of you ain't actually unperverted. No less than two of you are ... duh duh duh ... mafia scum.

Game status

Game over: the scums win

Still alive
(4 players = 3 to lynch)
d3x
(
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
)
facebook
()
sigma

Zachrulez
(*IC)

Dead

John Doe - (but he's just props so who really cares?)
JamesBond
(
Rashilul
SpiritMSTR
),
Townie
, tormented to death Day 1
iPeanut
Townie
, killed Night 1
HowardRoark
(),
Townie
, tormented to death Day 2
Dizzle
Townie
, killed Night 2
CSL
(, ,
Cop
, tormented to death Day 3

Quick links

:arrow:
Rules

Setup

Game start: Day 1

Night 1

Day 2

Night 2

Day 3

Game over
Last edited by Johoohno on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am, edited 40 times in total.
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:25 am

Post by Johoohno »

Rules
[/size]
[001]
Voting
: Only votes in bold (
vote: Johoohno
) will be counted. I appreciate when you
unvote
, however it is not required, I will only count your last vote.
[002]
Lynches
: When a player has a majority of votes he’ll be lynched – consider the game to be in twilight until I lock the thread (twilight = no new votes/unvotes are counted, the lynch is inevitable).
[003]
Deadline
: Each day will be deadlined to :arrow: 3 weeks, depending on my real life issues (no extensions planned). If we reach a deadline without a lynch the player (or No Lynch) with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the one who got to that number of votes first will be lynched. Should there be no active votes at deadline no one will be lynched.
[004]
Keep game in thread only
: The game is played within this thread. You are not allowed to discuss it outside unless your role specifically tells you otherwise.
[005]
Death
: Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
[006]
Editing/Deleting
: Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts.
[007]
Quoting
: Don’t quote any PMs from me.
[008]
Night choices
: If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the night deadline (night lasting approximately three days), :arrow: I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me no choice will be made.
[009]
Being away?
: If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 72-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. :arrow: If you are away for 72 hours, without any notice why, you might find yourself replaced. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
[010]
Colours and texts
:
Blue colour
is my colour, don’t use it in the thread. And don’t use small or invisible text either.
[011]
Prods and replacements
: I will prod players and ask for replacements by your requests (or when I see fit). Do bold your requests in thread to make me see them more easily. (If you find errors or have questions I prefer getting them by PM). Replacements inherit their predecessors votes and need to unvote if they don't like where their vote is.
[012]
Good game
: Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to be played. It’s supposed to be fun. Do your part.
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:27 am

Post by Johoohno »

Setup
[/size]
The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via a quicktopic link) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via a quicktopic link) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Post by Johoohno »

Day 1

On the other side of the locked door you all hear John Doe's mother going through her
torture
sewing kit for a means to extract the truth out of the first person sent out. It is now up to you to decide who's first to meet destiny.

Game status

Day 1 (deadline countdown: 16 July)
Two people left to confirm (TheFlyingGreenMonkey & iPeanut) they've got 48 hours to pick up their role-PMs and respond until I'll find replacements.

Let the debating and voting begin!

Enjoy!
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Post by somerand0mguy »

Hey everyone, whats up?
Fakemaster
Fakemaster
Townie
Fakemaster
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:22 pm

Post by Fakemaster »

the sky's up
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:04 am

Post by sigma »

Hello fellow newbies (and non-fellow experienced players!)

OK, after reading some old newbie games, it seems to me that the average newbie game goes like this:

Page 1: The Random Voting Stage (RVS), where everyone puts their vote on someone for silly reasons. Example: "Your avatar is purple. I hate purple. Vote: PurpleAvatar"
Page 2: More RVS. Someone says something (which may or may not be related to the random votes) that becomes a starting point for discussion.
Page 3: Real discussion begins. Half of the players unvote.

To me, this pattern says that discussion happens in addition to RVS and not because of RVS. In fact, I think RVS tends to replace actual discussion in the very early stages of the game.

Instead of posting a random vote, I'd like to get discussion started immediately. I'm posting a question to all players:

What are your feelings on random voting?
Toledo25
Toledo25
Townie
Toledo25
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:22 am

Post by Toledo25 »

Hi all, this should be fun.

My thoughts on rvs: I'm a supporter of it. First off, it's a good way for discussion to get started. It doesn't just pop up out of a void-of-post game. Also, sometimes people come up with funny/witty random votes. Though people are entitled to their opinions, so I'm fine.

Vote: iPeanut
There can only be one SE! :P

Oh yeah, I also have a question: which alignment does everyone prefer (town or scum)? I'm not going to hold against you whatever anyone says. I'm for town, since I'd get too nervous being scum.
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:24 am

Post by sigma »

My only previous experience with mafia is face-to-face, and I generally found it more fun to play scum in that setting.
Toledo88 wrote:My thoughts on rvs: I'm a supporter of it. First off, it's a good way for discussion to get started. It doesn't just pop up out of a void-of-post game. Also, sometimes people come up with funny/witty random votes. Though people are entitled to their opinions, so I'm fine.
Well, a thread devoid of posts would be pretty boring! I should probably clarify that I'm not opposed to random votes as long as the voter has something else interesting in their post to go along with it. Your post is a good example of this.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:50 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Hi all and welcome to Mafiascum.

I am your IC for this ride. I like to think of myself as your set of training wheels, keeping you steady on your bike while you learn how to ride it. I will be happy to answer any game theory questions you might have throughout the game, after all, that's what I'm here for.

As for the RVS question, it's by far considered the best way to start play in a game, but there are alternatives. (Sigma starting discussion by asking about RVS itself is one example). The results of RVS do vary greatly depending on the players in the game, in some cases discussion fires off and the game moves along quickly, and in other games, RVS can drag along because the players have somewhat of an uncertainty about how to go about starting the game up.

Vote: Toledo88
He says there can only be one SE, but he never said it had to be him. :P
Dizzle
Dizzle
Goon
Dizzle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:23 am

Post by Dizzle »

I believe RVS to be a necessary evil. It is the most simple and effective way to get discussions going. While the initial discussions don't often bear any significance, they can lead to more worthwhile discussions.
Johoohno wrote: And she won't open until you've sent out those responsible of the fowl deed.
A fowl deed, eh? Interesting. It just so happens that Toledo is the home of a AAA baseball team by the name of the...Mud Hens! Clearly, Toledo88 must have had something to do with poor John Doe's untimely demise.

Vote: Toledo88
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:15 am

Post by somerand0mguy »

Hmmmm,my thoughts on random voting? Random voting is fun!!!!

Vote:somerand0mguy

Anyways seriously random voting is a good way to get discussions started,as long as it has SOME explanation and not just popping in and voting then popping out.

Unvote
iPeanut
iPeanut
Goon
iPeanut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Post by iPeanut »

Sorry about the lateness! I very unexpectedly went V/LA for about five days. Glad I was able to make it in time, and I'll be reading up on what I missed.
"Hey dudes, thanks for rescuing me! Let's go for a burger...Ha! Ha! Ha!" - Bad Dudes
iPeanut
iPeanut
Goon
iPeanut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Post by iPeanut »

sigma wrote:What are your feelings on random voting?
I think it's fun. :3 Relatively laid-back atmosphere, and a good time to crack a few jokes. And it leads into the actual game, which is also quite fun. Like it or hate it, at least it conceives what we're all here for, right? =D

Plus, I can feel comfortable using smilies at this point. XD
toledo wrote: Vote: iPeanut There can only be one SE!
D:
Oh yeah, I also have a question: which alignment does everyone prefer (town or scum)? I'm not going to hold against you whatever anyone says. I'm for town, since I'd get too nervous being scum.
Well, I've only had experience as town roles, so I really don't suppose I could say. In my first game, I was hoping to play as scum, but after really playing, I think that general analysis is also fun. I can keep my cool under pressure, as far as that's concerned, so I think I'd have fun as scum. :3
somerand0mguy wrote: Vote:somerand0mguy
You just want a piece of John's mom!

Vote: somerand0mguy
!

...I saw her first. :P
"Hey dudes, thanks for rescuing me! Let's go for a burger...Ha! Ha! Ha!" - Bad Dudes
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by somerand0mguy »

Yes!!! Another vote to my secret fantasy!!!
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:34 am

Post by sigma »

iPeanut wrote:

!

Wait a second, you "saw her first"... and yet you're voting for somerand0mguy instead of yourself...

What... exactly... did you see? :shock:
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:05 am

Post by somerand0mguy »

sigma wrote:
iPeanut wrote:

!

Wait a second, you "saw her first"... and yet you're voting for somerand0mguy instead of yourself...

What... exactly... did you see? :shock:
Shhhhhhh!!!!
Oh wait,on second thought you can have her
Vote:IPeanut
spiritMSTR
spiritMSTR
Townie
spiritMSTR
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Post by spiritMSTR »

Well, for no particular reason other than to be different, I
vote:Sigma
iPeanut
iPeanut
Goon
iPeanut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:04 pm

Post by iPeanut »

sigma wrote:Wait a second, you "saw her first"... and yet you're voting for somerand0mguy instead of yourself...

What... exactly... did you see?
We're not technically lynching here, we're sending them to the hallway. Let's just say I'm not into S&M and leave it at that.
somerand0mguy wrote:Shhhhhhh!!!!
Oh gawdz you're kidding. D: Nooooo!
spiritMSTR wrote: Well, for no particular reason other than to be different, I vote:Sigma
You nonconformist. ):<
Toledo25
Toledo25
Townie
Toledo25
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Post by Toledo25 »

iPeanut wrote:
sigma wrote:Wait a second, you "saw her first"... and yet you're voting for somerand0mguy instead of yourself...

We're not technically lynching here, we're sending them to the hallway
So the people who killed our dear friend John get the terrible punishment of.... leaving? Quick, vote me off! I have better things to do! :shock:
Spirit wrote:Well, for no particular reason other than to be different, I vote:Sigma
How dry it would be if we all voted for different people!
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Post by somerand0mguy »

iPeanut wrote:

We're not technically lynching here, we're sending them to the hallway. Let's just say I'm not into S&M and leave it at that.
somerand0mguy wrote:Shhhhhhh!!!!
Oh gawdz you're kidding. D: Nooooo!
spiritMSTR wrote: Well, for no particular reason other than to be different, I vote:Sigma
You nonconformist. ):<
No kidding you can have her.
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Post by Johoohno »

Vote count
(9 players alive = 5 to lynch before deadline)
(2) Toledo88 - Zachrulez, Dizzle
(2) iPeanut - Toledo88, somerand0mguy
(1) somerand0mguy - iPeanut
(1) sigma - spiritMSTR

Not voting:
d3x, Fakemaster, sigma

Deadline
: 16 July
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Post by Johoohno »

Replacement

TheFlyingGreenMonkey is replaced by d3x (effective immediately). Thanks!
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Post by d3x »

Hi all. I'm replacing in. Anyone wanna fess up as Scum and make this easy?

iPeanut?!? Long time, bro. I'm sorry about killing you last game, :( I'll try to be more civil this time around.
Honest is easy, fiction's where genius lies.

GTKAS - d3x
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 am

Post by sigma »

d3x wrote:Hi all. I'm replacing in. Anyone wanna fess up as Scum and make this easy?
Hi d3x -- best of luck to you.... unless you're scum. :)

Since you're replacing in from the get-go, I'll re-ask my opening question: What do you think of random voting?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”