Newbie 1428 Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:02 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Votecount 1.02

Cheery Dog - 3 - Ravenpaw, Banksys Flareon, Dyslexicon
Michael_Wolf - 3 - Grimgroove, pieguyn, BigTerp
Grimgroove - 1 - Cat Clancer
BigTerp - 1 - Cheery Dog

Not Voting: Michael_Wolf

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: (expired on 2013-09-11 03:15:51)
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 am

Post by Grimgroove »

You click the "Q+" button of every post you want to quote, and click "Reply", and you'll see all the quotes you wanted, in the order that you clicked them.
"What truffles are to pigs so are these charlatans and pettifoggers to my mental acuity." - Frasier
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 am

Post by Grimgroove »

UNVOTE:
"What truffles are to pigs so are these charlatans and pettifoggers to my mental acuity." - Frasier
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:41 am

Post by BigTerp »

In post 49, Nobody Special wrote:
In post 46, BigTerp wrote:Cheery - How are you able to neatly organize individual quotes from other peoples post like you did above? I'm aware of the multi quote button, but If I want to quote only the parts of your post that pertain to me it ends up quoting the entire post. Typically I just copy and paste what I want to quote, but it leaves out who the post is from.
What I do, as a player, is to open each quote in a new window, edit down to what I wanted to quote, then type my reply; then copy and paste all those into one post. A bit labor intensive, but it looks nicer.

I have never figured out how to make the multi-quote thing work properly. At all. :evil:
Thanks!! Either way, it's rather a PITA.
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:43 am

Post by BigTerp »

In post 51, Grimgroove wrote:You click the "Q+" button of every post you want to quote, and click "Reply", and you'll see all the quotes you wanted, in the order that you clicked them.
Thanks! I got the multi quote function down. My problem is If I'm trying to only quote a portion of a post, like the one Cheery had last page, and I use either of the quote buttons it quotes everything from that post instead of just the portions I want.
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:48 am

Post by BigTerp »

In post 48, Grimgroove wrote:
In post 21, Cheery Dog wrote:Anyway I think one of these quotes does actually belong to scum. They both seem to want to exclaim pointless stuff as if it made actual sense.
In post 45, Cheery Dog wrote:Facetiousness has many values to it, and when combined with rvs, I felt that there was scum motivation in why those posts happened in that manner. This is what would be known as a gut read at this stage.

Everything is serious, we're up against the mafia in a life or death situation. Getting too much joking happening, just lets scum control the town.

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

First you say you thought those RVS's were fishy because they exclaim pointless stuff
as if it made actual sense
. The bolded part means that you thought those posts were fishy,b ecause they were invoking silly reasons as serious ones. So the seriousness that you saw was the problem.

But now that everyone has made clear that your comedy-radar needs fixing, you proclaim it's not the seriousness that is scummy, but the facetiousness (whoever came up with that word should be able to spell "merely" by the way, cfr. BigTerp) and the joking, that are suddenly tactical instruments for scum to gain control.

In other words, he doesn't care about the stick he's using, he already picked out the dogs he's going to try and beat down.

I would vote, but yes, L-1, and at this point things could get too confusing, but: :igmeou: CheeryDog.
I have to somewhat agree with this. It seems as if Cheery is grasping for straws to try and get some suspicion going for, IMO, weak reasons.
Ravenpaw
Ravenpaw
Goon
Ravenpaw
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:12 am

Post by Ravenpaw »

In post 42, BigTerp wrote:
Regarding the bolded: if you're okay with that, why haven't you done that here?
At this point, it's still super early in the game.
This isn't matching up, you just said before that you were fine with putting someone at L-2 or L-1 early on, but now you're not?
I don't want what happened when Dyslexicon came in and didn't realize the vote count.
Given that it has now be made clear that putting someone at L-1 without stating it can be risky, do you see this as likely to occur again?
Once the flow of the game gets going, which it seems to be getting there, theres less of a chance someone derphammers. But this early, the game is just getting rolling and we are still in RVS, for the most part. So someone could easily RVS a vote on someone who is L-1 without realizing it.
Ok, but you're now contradicting yourself here by suggesting that L-1 is bad early on, when earlier you had said you were ok with it.

Unvote: Cherry Dog
Vote: BigTerp

Serious vote.
Ravenpaw
Ravenpaw
Goon
Ravenpaw
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 am

Post by Ravenpaw »

@Grim- What are your thoughts on Bigterp so far?

@BigTerp- What is your read on Cheery?
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am

Post by BigTerp »

In post 56, Ravenpaw wrote:
In post 42, BigTerp wrote:
Regarding the bolded: if you're okay with that, why haven't you done that here?
At this point, it's still super early in the game.
This isn't matching up, you just said before that you were fine with putting someone at L-2 or L-1 early on, but now you're not?
I don't want what happened when Dyslexicon came in and didn't realize the vote count.
Given that it has now be made clear that putting someone at L-1 without stating it can be risky, do you see this as likely to occur again?
Once the flow of the game gets going, which it seems to be getting there, theres less of a chance someone derphammers. But this early, the game is just getting rolling and we are still in RVS, for the most part. So someone could easily RVS a vote on someone who is L-1 without realizing it.
Ok, but you're now contradicting yourself here by suggesting that L-1 is bad early on, when earlier you had said you were ok with it.

Unvote: Cherry Dog
Vote: BigTerp

Serious vote.
I guess you can see this as me contradicting myself. But I put someone at L-2 not L-1, which I'm perfectly comfortable with this early. Basically I like to have people at L-2 or L-1 early on, more so at L-2. Really it's beneficial at any point in the game. It gives us a chance to see who squirms or who trys to move votes around. I say more so at L-2 because theres no chance to derphammer at L-2. And yes, if an SE came into the game and unknowingly put someone at L-1, I don't see why it couldn't happen again.
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:50 am

Post by BigTerp »

In post 57, Ravenpaw wrote:@Grim- What are your thoughts on Bigterp so far?

@BigTerp- What is your read on Cheery?
I have Cheery as a null to town read right now. I think his focus on the silly voting early on could be a way for a townie to get some discussion going on, which is always a good thing. But I have to agree with Grimgrooves post about how Cheery has "already picked out his dogs". But I have to lean towards Cheery is just trying to poke at a few and see what responses he gets.
Cat Clancer
Cat Clancer
Townie
Cat Clancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 am

Post by Cat Clancer »

@ post 40: Nothing too strong yet. Seems like some serious wagons are now on BigTwerp and Cherry Dog. I'm going to have to ISO people when I have more time to come up with stronger conclusions. I have null reads until I ISO.
ATM, I'm going to have to agree with RavenPaw's read on BigTerp, but I won't lay down a vote just yet to avoid a derphammer.
Also,
UNVOTE
for now, till I get stronger reads.
Dyslexicon
Dyslexicon
Goon
Dyslexicon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:20 am

Post by Dyslexicon »

In post 43, BigTerp wrote:At this point, no. What you did could be seen as super scummy, especially as an SE. You should have enough experience to at least check the vote count before you vote. So my initial reaction was to call it out and question it. But after reviewing what happened, I have to believe you truly didn't know the vote count. Would be a pretty bold move for mafia to try and get a lynch so soon.
Anything in particular that changed from your post when you weren't sure you believed my "excuse" to this?
In post 44, BigTerp wrote:Any reason for your vote change? I'd like to see what happens if we get 2 tied up at L-2. Maybe we can get someone to start squirming.

VOTE: Michael_Wolf
Pressure votes works better if you don't do them with the warning of wanting to see if people squirm, imo. Just saying. Or is there something else behind this vote?
In post 59, BigTerp wrote:I have Cheery as a null to town read right now. I think his focus on the silly voting early on could be a way for a townie to get some discussion going on, which is always a good thing. But I have to agree with Grimgrooves post about how Cheery has "already picked out his dogs". But I have to lean towards Cheery is just trying to poke at a few and see what responses he gets.
Why is it more likely to you that Cheery has "picked out his dogs" (how ironic with that name!) with a town intention? Is there something else than this that indicates town for you with Cheery?
In post 60, Cat Clancer wrote:@ post 40: Nothing too strong yet. Seems like some serious wagons are now on BigTwerp and Cherry Dog. I'm going to have to ISO people when I have more time to come up with stronger conclusions. I have null reads until I ISO.
ATM, I'm going to have to agree with RavenPaw's read on BigTerp, but I won't lay down a vote just yet to avoid a derphammer.
Also,
UNVOTE
for now, till I get stronger reads.
BigTerp and Cheery have 2 votes each, same as Wolfie (lol, look who's counting). What do you think about the votes on Wolfie?
I look forward to hear your conclusions.

---

VOTE: BigTerp
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 32, Dyslexicon wrote:What do you think I'd have to gain on lying?
this is really weird for me
why would town ever put emphasis on lying o_o seems like he's just paranoid about being caught for lying IMO

and Cheery Dog is town
Dyslexicon
Dyslexicon
Goon
Dyslexicon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Post by Dyslexicon »

In post 62, pieguyn wrote: this is really weird for me
why would town ever put emphasis on lying o_o seems like he's just paranoid about being caught for lying IMO
Point being I wanted to ask how it would make sense as a calculated scum move, as BigTerp implied that it could be. If you can't understand why a townie would ask it, then where is your vote? You were asked for reasoning for your current vote, any particular reason you haven't answered that?
and Cheery Dog is town
What makes you so sure?
Also, what is your stance on BigTerp?
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Post by pieguyn »

o sorry, can't think

The only post I saw asking for reasoning quoted my post with the reasoning in it so I forgot about it @_@
Anyway, didn't seem like a major thing at that point so I didn't think it was necessary to vote. That said,
unvote vote: Banksys Flareon
post plz
What makes you so sure?
hax obv :3
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Post by pieguyn »

EBWOP: sorry, forgot this
IMO BigTerp just seems to be sitting and agreeing with everyone instead of coming up with stuff individually. maybe I missed something but afaik the last 2 or 3 posts he was just agreeing with people, seems suspicious IMO
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

He's beginning to sound very nervous over matters that are trivial. His read on Cheery Dog in post feels as if proclaimed by someone being choked to death, gasping for air.

What are your thoughts on Dyslexicon, Ravenpaw?
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:32 am

Post by BigTerp »

Anything in particular that changed from your post 31 when you weren't sure you believed my "excuse" to this?
Yeah, your explanation after I questioned your "excuse", and my further review of it. It was something worth pointing out and questioning. And I'm pretty sure you answered your own question with my quote above it.
Pressure votes works better if you don't do them with the warning of wanting to see if people squirm, imo. Just saying. Or is there something else behind this vote?
Weither you announce a pressure vote or not, the point is pressure is being applied. If it's put on the right spot movement will start to occur, no matter how obvious the pressure vote it. And it seems like that is happening right now. It's rather convienient that yourself and Ravenpaw moved your votes to me to get me to L-2 after I took Michael_Wolf to L-2. Could be interperted as either of you being mobbed up with Michael_Wolf.
Why is it more likely to you that Cheery has "picked out his dogs" (how ironic with that name!) with a town intention? Is there something else than this that indicates town for you with Cheery?
It's not. It's more likely to me that Cheery is trying to get some reads and discussion going by calling out whatever he can. I can see Grimgrooves point in , but like I said I think Cheery is just trying to get some reads/discussion. Your reading my post wrong, or perhaps I worded it poorly.
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:37 am

Post by BigTerp »

In post 65, pieguyn wrote:EBWOP: sorry, forgot this
IMO BigTerp just seems to be sitting and agreeing with everyone instead of coming up with stuff individually. maybe I missed something but afaik the last 2 or 3 posts he was just agreeing with people, seems suspicious IMO
I see my last 2 or 3 posts as having to defend myself from people trying to severly disect my posts. It seems my vote to put Michael_Wolf to L-2 may have been enough for mafia to try and swing votes my way.
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:41 am

Post by BigTerp »

In post 66, Grimgroove wrote:
He's beginning to sound very nervous over matters that are trivial. His read on Cheery Dog in post feels as if proclaimed by someone being choked to death, gasping for air.

I wouldn't say nervous at all. There has been a quick runup on me for, IMO, very poor reasons. The ones behind it should be looked at more carefully. It seems to me that Michael_Wolf getting to L-2 has caused some movement, and I was the easy target.
Ravenpaw
Ravenpaw
Goon
Ravenpaw
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:26 am

Post by Ravenpaw »

In post 58, BigTerp wrote: I guess you can see this as me contradicting myself. But I put someone at L-2 not L-1, which I'm perfectly comfortable with this early. Basically I like to have people at L-2 or L-1 early on, more so at L-2. Really it's beneficial at any point in the game. It gives us a chance to see who squirms or who trys to move votes around. I say more so at L-2 because theres no chance to derphammer at L-2. And yes, if an SE came into the game and unknowingly put someone at L-1, I don't see why it couldn't happen again.
This feels like you're now trying to distance yourself from your previous stance.
In post 64, pieguyn wrote:
What makes you so sure?
hax obv :3
What does this mean?
In post 65, pieguyn wrote:EBWOP: sorry, forgot this
You're misrepping Bigterp here, his last 3 posts aren't just agreeing with people.
Pie, who do you think is scum?
What are the trivial matters that he sounds nervous over?
And you didn’t actually give a stance on Bigterp in the above response, so what do you read him as?
I’m leaning town on him; he is asking good questions, and his reaction to not realising putting Cheery at L-1 seemed pretty legit. Why do you ask?
In post 69, BigTerp wrote:

I wouldn't say nervous at all. There has been a quick runup on me for, IMO, very poor reasons. The ones behind it should be looked at more carefully. It seems to me that Michael_Wolf getting to L-2 has caused some movement, and I was the easy target.
You sound nervous here. Why do you see yourself as an easy target?
Also you are misrepping the situation badly here because as soon as the vote count was posted to show Michael at L-2 Grim suddenly unvoted him (which you have ignored in you retelling of the situation), I then voted you a few posts after this, as did Dyslexi. So yeah, Michael was not even at L-2 long enough for it to be argued as scum trying to create a desperate counter-wagon.
Big, what are the poor reasons you've been voted for?
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:24 am

Post by BigTerp »

This feels like you're now trying to distance yourself from your previous stance.
Not at all. I made a general statement that I'm ok with an early L-2 or even L-1. My post was nit picked to hell and back, so I had to explain it in further detail.
You sound nervous here. Why do you see yourself as an easy target?
Also you are misrepping the situation badly here because as soon as the vote count was posted to show Michael at L-2 Grim suddenly unvoted him (which you have ignored in you retelling of the situation), I then voted you a few posts after this, as did Dyslexi. So yeah, Michael was not even at L-2 long enough for it to be argued as scum trying to create a desperate counter-wagon.
Big, what are the poor reasons you've been voted for?
I see myself as an easy target because, again, for whatever reason my posts were getting questioned pretty heavily. A vote or 2 moved my way, and now I'm at L-2. Seems like mafia working a wagon in my direction. Your right, I didn't realize Michael was no longer at L-2. Grims posts were a bit confusing though. In I thought he was voting Cheery, but he didn't highlight it. I saw he unvoted, but didn't realize it took his vote off of Michael. The poor/weak reasoning for votes on me involve me saying I'm ok with an early L-2 or L-1. That all of a sudden became the focus for alot of people and reasons to vote me.

I know I've been a bit defensive, but you guys are barking up the wrong tree. I got a bit frustrated with having to explain, in great detail, this post . Instead of me being able to do some scumhunting and working on discussions with other players, I've been forced to continue to have to explain what, IMO, was a pretty general post.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:30 am

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 70, Ravenpaw wrote: What are the trivial matters that he sounds nervous over?
And you didn’t actually give a stance on Bigterp in the above response, so what do you read him as?
His read on Cheery Dog, his stance on early L-1 and L-2's.

You asked me for my thoughts and I gave them. You didn't ask for a "stance". My only stance is that I think he sounds nervous, which is possibly a scumtell, but not necessarily. I've seen people before who considered themselves easy targets, and people with that mindset tend to get nervous more easily, regardless of alignment. Remember Candillan? I'm sure you do.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 am

Post by Grimgroove »

Oh, missed that:
@Ravenpaw:
And the reason I asked about Dyslexicon is 1. to pull you out of your unilateral questioning-status and 2. because I think he made the most memorable action of the first two pages and should be worth everyone's consideration.
His vote showed a certain carelessness that I'd associate with a town-mindset rather than a scummy one, but his reaction to when he finds out he put someone at L-1 sounded a bit too off-hand.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:52 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 46, BigTerp wrote:Cheery - How are you able to neatly organize individual quotes from other peoples post like you did above? I'm aware of the multi quote button, but If I want to quote only the parts of your post that pertain to me it ends up quoting the entire post. Typically I just copy and paste what I want to quote, but it leaves out who the post is from.
I have a mouse capable of highlighting and a backspace key. (manual editing in the reply screen, generally with dragging the reply box bigger.)
Highlighting certain parts works with the normal quote button, but not the multi-quote.
In post 48, Grimgroove wrote:First you say you thought those RVS's were fishy because they exclaim pointless stuff
as if it made actual sense
. The bolded part means that you thought those posts were fishy,b ecause they were invoking silly reasons as serious ones. So the seriousness that you saw was the problem.
Yes, and?
I want to treat everything as serious, even when I do pick up the jokery afoot in the posts. You still have motivation to post it, and some of the motivation is caused by what alignment you've drawn, and therefore huntable.
In post 48, Grimgroove wrote:But now that everyone has made clear that your comedy-radar needs fixing, you proclaim it's not the seriousness that is scummy, but the facetiousness (whoever came up with that word should be able to spell "merely" by the way, cfr. BigTerp) and the joking, that are suddenly tactical instruments for scum to gain control.
It's the post(s) in general, I picked up weak vibes from them, and said so. They've since been excused as being jokes, and that's where I want to turn up the pressure in that regard, as nothing posted should ever be ignored.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”