Mafia Scum
Dry-fit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Post by Dry-fit »

Kast wrote:@Dry-Fit-
-Why did you wait so long to claim?
I have been sick. I have been struggling in some of my classes. I can't always post immediately.
-Your reason for taking no actions is weak but plausible for not using a kill. It does not hold for choosing to not roleblock.
Every ship has a limited amount of energy to use for the whole game. I didn't want to waste it on what was pretty much a shot in the dark.
-How does a roleblocking ability negate the possibility that you claimed to avoid/forestall being investigated?
If you are scum, then there is no reason to believe your claimed ability.
I can't prove it now during day, but I could roleblock you tonight to prove it to you :D
-Convenient that your role prevents you from rescuing the claimed cop (and thus having your identity confirmed). What is the flavor for this ability?
There are animals on my ship that will eat anyone who enters it.
Regardless, what is the flavor for your vig, roleblock, and kill jettisoned player abilities. Does your previous claim refer to these abilities ie. are you implicitly stating that they are racial abilities?
The vig is a two-step process. First I have a laser that destroys their ship. Then I pick them up and they will be eaten by the animals. The roleblock is some kind of leeches.
-Does your statement that you are both a vig AND a roleblocker mean that you can perform two night actions?
Yes. I can do both in one night.
@Porkens-
He could have claimed almost immediately after Excedrin revealed that RC was on a red ship.
So I should have magically been able to get online and post while I was sick and busy with schoolwork at any given instant?
-By posting to defend Sigma (who players had already indicated they weren't very suspicious of), he also laid grounds for a similar defense of RC.
Where do I defend sigma?
-Btw, if you are scum with RC and KRW as your buddies, I am truly sorry for your misfortune and I suggest you just chalk it up to bad luck and hope for better next time. Also, if you get a similar situation, I suggest bussing heavily.
What would you suggest if I am town?
Andy Murray: Two time Wimbledon and one time US Open Champ! Former world number 1!

C'mon Andy!
Rising
Rising
Goon
Rising
Goon
Goon

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Post by Rising »

Kast wrote:Your analogy oversimplifies and does not include critical issues:
No, it's you that simplifies and misrepresents things, and you could see it too if you just stopped obfuscating things with convoluted nonsense. (When you describe the Pick up-action as "--When a player, P_i, does Action M to another player, P_j, P_i allows P_j to do Action L" I get the feeling you're just pulling my leg.)
Kast wrote:--When a player, P_i, does Action M to another player, P_j, P_i allows P_j to do Action L.

(Translated from Stupid:)
When a townplayer picks up another player, that player could hurt the townplayer.
This is pure speculation from your side. Nothing has been said in this game to support this. Actually, what
has
been said
contradicts
it. Porkens
knew
he was on a hierarch ship with a nasty racial ability, so what are the odds that he would pick up an unconfirmed floating pilot? Nil. Porkens decided not to tell us which race his ship belonged to because he naturally suspected that scum mainly had
other
ways of exchanging ships between pilots than simply hoping to be picked up by the right player after their own ships had been destroyed.
That
makes sense. You aren't.

We don't know yet if SpyreX is gonna tell us which player gets to pick up which floating pilot, but if he
will
, then that will further contradict your homebrew theory. Imagine that SpyreX tells us that I got to pick up Porkens, and that I was killed later during the night, and that Porkens is now piloting my ship. That would set off alarms everywhere. How hard would it be to hunt scum with circumstances like that? Your theory presumes that:
1. SpyreX won't tell us who picks up who.
or
2. Scum's ability to hurt other players on the same ship is very subtle. Even something as simple as energy draining could easily be detected.

If not, then worst-case-scenario is that it will be a one-for-one: Floating scum kills friendly pilot, and then we lynch said scum. I could live with that, but I'm pretty sure that's not how things work, because it would make for a pretty boring game.

Sigma has already told you this, btw.
Kast wrote:Also, the point under discussion is not the sole factor to consider when deciding to rescue someone.
Actually, the point under discussion is not a factor
at all
to consider, since it's just one of your bogus, nonsensical brainfarts. It has no merit at all. It is the most obviously antitown statement in this game up to date, and as soon as you start to make sense I'm gonna decide whether or not you're the lynch for today.
Rising
Rising
Goon
Rising
Goon
Goon

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Post by Rising »

Kast wrote:@Rising/Excedrin/Porkens-
Please chime in thoughts on Dry-Fit and refresh why you are voting for RC.
Dry-Fit's name- and raceclaim is believable, in my opinion (there are lots of millar-type characters in Star Control, so I kinda expected this from the start), and plus; even though he cannot pick up sigma (very convenient... I would've preferred if he had claimed this ability earlier) I still have reason to believe that his race can be tested later on. In my opinion, he should jettison his ship tonight, because town don't have much use for a vig/roleblocker, but they are pretty dangerous abilities in the hands of a potential scum Vux (unlikely) or other scumplayer with the ability to use every hierarchial ship's racial ability (I expect something like this).

Besides: I don't think that fast forwarding through a game is pro-town. A high bodycount is nothing to strive for. Therefore; I rather just have RC killed this turn.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:30 am

Post by Porkens »

I dunno, my tinfoil hat says that Dry-Fit claimed to distract people off of Sigma and that they plan to be on the same ship after tonight.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:14 am

Post by Papa Zito »

There's still a distinct lack of flavor there.

Let me be more direct.

Admiral ZEX was exiled to Alpha Cerenkov I after the war. Why were you allowed to break your exile and travel to Zeta Sextantis I? Is the attempted double-cross of Zelnick talked about in your PM?
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:31 am

Post by Kast »

This is pure speculation from your side. Nothing has been said in this game to support this.
Correct that this is speculation. Incorrect that nothing in game supports this. You admit that the existence of rescue as a universal game mechanic obviously suggests interactions between shipmates. It would be completely reckless to assume that these probable interactions are only town positive. Also it is misleading to imply that we should ignore a potential source of danger to town simply because it is speculation.
Actually, what has been said contradicts it. Porkens knew he was on a hierarch ship with a nasty racial ability, so what are the odds that he would pick up an unconfirmed floating pilot? Nil.
Porkens was on a red ship and claimed that it had a nasty racial ability that scum would want to get aboard. Regardless of whether Porkens would let scum aboard, the claim that Spyrex included an incentive for scum to get aboard a townie ship IS reason to suspect that scum might attempt to get aboard a town ship.
Porkens decided not to tell us which race his ship belonged to because he naturally suspected that scum mainly had other ways of exchanging ships between pilots than simply hoping to be picked up by the right player after their own ships had been destroyed. That makes sense.
Not relevant to your point.

You appear to be arguing against the idea that scum only want to get aboard Porkens and/or Sigma's ship. This is a straw man.
We don't know yet if SpyreX is gonna tell us which player gets to pick up which floating pilot, but if he will, then that will further contradict your homebrew theory.
Spyrex telling us which player picked up which floating pilot is completely unnecessary for your proposed situation and completely irrelevant to my "homebrew theory".

Also, regardless of whether Spyrex publicly announces who a player was picked up by, individual players are presumably informed if they successfully picked someone up.
Imagine that SpyreX tells us that I got to pick up Porkens, and that I was killed later during the night, and that Porkens is now piloting my ship. That would set off alarms everywhere. How hard would it be to hunt scum with circumstances like that?
This is a straw man. You argue against one unlikely implementation of of Action L and assume this makes it impossible for Action L to exist.

You also use unnecessarily ambiguous language to describe your situation. You don't specify when your theoretical announcement by Spyrex happens. Presumably, this would happen at the beginning of the day following the night when you picked up Porkens. Your death on the following night would suggest that townies should be suspicious of Porkens, but be indistinguishable from a scum kill that targets a pilot without targeting the ship. This would by no means be a confirmation of Porkens as scum.

If you actually meant the same night, then it would be more probable that Porkens is responsible for your death; particularly given that scum should not know that you were going to rescue Porkens.
Your theory presumes that:
1. SpyreX won't tell us who picks up who.
or
2. Scum's ability to hurt other players on the same ship is very subtle. Even something as simple as energy draining could easily be detected.
or
3. Extremely powerful as to be worth the risk of not being rescued AND drawing attention to/potentially outing a scumplayer.

I have already stated that the action L has to be either 2 or 3. Neither of those points contradicts my "homebrew" theory.
If not, then worst-case-scenario is that it will be a one-for-one: Floating scum kills friendly pilot, and then we lynch said scum. I could live with that, but I'm pretty sure that's not how things work, because it would make for a pretty boring game.
If you seriously cannot conceive of a worst-case-scenario that is not worse than one-for-one, then let me know and I'll help you out.
as soon as you start to make sense I'm gonna decide whether or not you're the lynch for today.
This makes no sense. A player making sense is not a requirement for considering them as a lynch candidate. Further, your "threat" is completely inviable today and inconsistent with your previously (and concurrently) stated suspicions.
In my opinion, he should jettison his ship tonight, because town don't have much use for a vig/roleblocker, but they are pretty dangerous abilities in the hands of a potential scum Vux (unlikely) or other scumplayer with the ability to use every hierarchial ship's racial ability (I expect something like this).
Agreed that if Dry-Fit does not get lynched, I would prefer if he jettisons his ship. Disagree with the reason. I think the claim that town don't have much use for a vig/roleblocker is baseless and irrational. However, it would confirm Dry-Fit as a VUX.

It is incomprehensible that you expect a scum who can use every
hierarchial
ship's racial ability but cannot conceive of a scum who can harm town by getting aboard a townie ship.
(Translated from Stupid:)
When a townplayer picks up another player, that player could hurt the townplayer.
Usually, when I play, I sound like you; I call people's posts stupid, naïve, childish and whatnot. I can be a real asshole. But I've come to realize that it's actually pretty mean and that it doesn't belong in a game that is supposed to be fun and exciting.
To be clear, does your use of the word "stupid" fall into the category of behavior that you think is inappropriate?
If so, does this indicate an abandonment of your previous position?
If not, do you admit that the word stupid can be used without being a personal insult?
Does this indicate agreement that your objections on D1 were simply AtE objections instead of valid responses?
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:56 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Dry-fit wrote:-I am basically both a vig and a roleblocker(which refutes Kast's belief that I just want to avoid an investigation.)
-Any player in space who I rescue instantly dies.
-My flavor is that I betrayed my race because of a fetish for humans.
-My role does not specifically say I am a miller, but it is hinted at in the flavor.
-I did not make any action last night.
Unvote, Vote Dry-Fit
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:02 am

Post by sigma »

L-1? We need to wait on lynching until we get a little more flavor from dry-fit. Also keep in mind that Rosso isn't on modkill notice yet, and he needs to die today.
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:11 am

Post by Kast »

Spyrex telling us which player picked up which floating pilot is completely unnecessary for your proposed situation
To clarify this, Spyrex has said if the pilot dies, then the unmanned ship will die with him. In your situation, we would see a pilot die, but his ship would not have died. Each player could tell us whether they rescued the pilot or not (and from the pilot's side he could name the player who rescued him). A contradiction would result in the one-for-one you describe.
Show
T: 9/6.5/0
M: 8/2/1
O: 0/3.5/0

V/LA Pretty much all Weekends and Holidays
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:41 am

Post by Porkens »

sigma wrote:L-1? We need to wait on lynching until we get a little more flavor from dry-fit. Also keep in mind that Rosso isn't on modkill notice yet, and he needs to die today.
...my tinfoil hat is squeezing tighter and tighter.
Dry-fit
Dry-fit
Mafia Scum
Dry-fit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:10 am

Post by Dry-fit »

@Zito: The flavor I already gave is pretty much all there is. None of the things you just mentioned are talked about in my role pm.
Rising wrote:In my opinion, he should jettison his ship tonight,
I'd like to recommend no more of this. I think it's very possible that scum doesn't have a direct kill in this game and more players in space/ships destroyed probably only helps them.

I don't like Plum. Wants to quicklynch resulting in the death of two people, and I really don't like the "I still want you dead, moreso now," makes sense for scum to want a powerful town powerrole dead.
Andy Murray: Two time Wimbledon and one time US Open Champ! Former world number 1!

C'mon Andy!
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:17 am

Post by sigma »

Porkens wrote:
sigma wrote: ...my tinfoil hat is squeezing tighter and tighter.
:roll:
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:17 am

Post by sigma »

epic quote fail.
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:32 am

Post by Kast »

Every ship has a limited amount of energy to use for the whole game. I didn't want to waste it on what was pretty much a shot in the dark.
How do you reconcile this with your D1 vote for Sigma? From what I understood, your vote on a player who was unlikely to be lynched was supposed to indicate strong suspicion of him.
@Porkens-
He could have claimed almost immediately after Excedrin revealed that RC was on a red ship.
So I should have magically been able to get online and post while I was sick and busy with schoolwork at any given instant?
Apologies. This was a typo. It should read, "He claimed almost immediately after Excedrin revealed that RC was on a red ship."

To answer your hypothetical, personal circumstances aren't directly relevant to whether you "should" post in game. If personal circumstances make you unable to play, then post V/LA. Given your claimed position, I suppose it
should
be surprising did magically get online and post while you were sick and busy with schoolwork.

-Your first post of D2 is a direct response to a vote on Sigma that argues against the reason for voting him. That looks like a defense to me.

-I dislike that you still have not made any mention of RC. Please answer clearly what you think about RC.

@Porkens-
To be clear, are you intending to express genuine suspicion of a Sigma/Dry-Fit scum team? I cannot tell if your last two posts are intended to be serious or not.
Show

Dry-fit
Dry-fit
Mafia Scum
Dry-fit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 am

Post by Dry-fit »

Kast wrote:How do you reconcile this with your D1 vote for Sigma? From what I understood, your vote on a player who was unlikely to be lynched was supposed to indicate strong suspicion of him.
Keelie's flip changed my opinion on him somewhat.
-I dislike that you still have not made any mention of RC. Please answer clearly what you think about RC.
I have read games he has played, and he comes off as scummier in this one. That plus a red ship he is still on makes me think it's likely he is scum.

C'mon Andy!
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:53 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Dry-fit wrote:@Zito: The flavor I already gave is pretty much all there is. None of the things you just mentioned are talked about in my role pm.
KeelieRavenWolf wrote:I, on the other hand, know none of it, and my flavor is only that which is assumed, since I was given no backstory for my character, only an ability, a ship and it's abilities, and a racial name. Other than that; nothing.
These are remarkably similar to me.

Your claims are also very similar. KRW claimed Mmrnmhrm, who are planetbound. You claimed ZEX, who is planetbound.
Kappa
Just Monika
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:09 am

Post by Porkens »

It's genuine paranoia. It's not meant to be ironic or sarcastic. I am starting to get a tick every time one of them argues against the lynch of the other.
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:22 am

Post by Kast »

I think it's very possible that scum doesn't have a direct kill in this game and more players in space/ships destroyed probably only helps them.
Again, I strongly dislike this sort of speculation. It is less bad since you have already claimed, but it invites comments from other players that can help scum determine if each of the responders is more or less likely to have some sort of kill negating power. If you really are a townie with the role that you have claimed, then you should have no idea whether scum have a direct kill.

Imagine a more standard themed game in which D2 opens with no night deaths. The simplest and most plausible explanation in this case is that a doctor protected the kill target. A townie JoaT with Vig/RB powers has no additional reason to suspect that scum are unable to kill (nor that scum chose to not kill). Granted, it is not wrong to consider that possibility, but to arbitrarily choose to believe a lower probability event that tends to underestimate scum is just generally poor strategy for town.

-Please reconcile these two views:
That plus a red ship he is still on makes me think it's likely he is scum.
Dry-fit wrote:
Kmd4390 wrote:
Vote Sigma

Unclaimed red ship pretty much means he has to be scum.
Not really.
-Also, if you think it is likely that RC is scum, why haven't you voted him?

@Excedrin-
To be clear, once Friday rolls around, and, assuming RC is still MIA, Spyrex posts that RC is modkillable, do you intend to hammer Dry-Fit?
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:26 am

Post by Locke Lamora »

I have to confess I am slipping behind with this game. I won't be able to get on until Monday and I was going to come and vote Dry-fit with my final post for the day but as he's already at L-1 I will hold off. For the record, I do not buy his claim and I agree that his attitude towards red ships is completely inconsistent with his own claim. I'm no expert on the flavour of this game but based on what I know, the claim seems incomplete and implausible; in short, it reads like KRW's as a player trying to fakeclaim flavour they don't know much about.

Mod: will be V/LA until Monday.
If ya smell what The Locke is cookin'!

"Locke Lamora and Andrius, defying all logic since 1081."
Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:35 am

Post by Excedrin »

Lack of ship destruction (aside from 2 who jettisoned) combined with Dry-Fit's claim is weird (why wouldn't he kill if he was scum? WIFOM, but I still don't know why). Obviously there's stuff that could explain that (for example, he may have targetted sigma (or Porkens but that's unlikely since everyone knew Porkens was planning on jettisoning)).

If he's telling the truth about his role and ship, it might reveal some information about how scum kill (destroy ship first). I agree with what he said in #535 regarding jettison.

That he didn't roleblock when he could have seems horrible from a strategy point of view, not wanting to use energy is a bad excuse when he wouldn't know (as town) if he's going to live thru the night. It seems possible that he didn't block because he didn't want to clear anyone.

It bugs me that with his "I couldn't post because I was busy" excuse (which is usually OK), he apparently split immediately after his post #468 and couldn't answer my questions in #469 that I posted 5 minutes after. I mean, it's possible that he posted and left but kinda sucks either way. I'm treating that as null.

So yea, if we get 2 for 1, I'll hammer Dry-Fit, if not, then I'd be ok with lynching RC and leaving Dry-fit alive, possibly with a publicly chosen vig or roleblock target.

Since we're getting close to the end of the day: Kast, excluding Dry-fit and Rosso Carne, who's your 3rd suspect? If you don't want to answer this, it's fine. Also, I realized why I was uncertain about your ability (effects
are
known to target, but can you imagine a case where, in a more traditional theme game, something like your ability might behave differently than expected?). Also, take a 2nd look at post #425 if I don't make it thru night.
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by Kast »

(why wouldn't he kill if he was scum? WIFOM, but I still don't know why)
If Dry-Fit is scum, it is probable that he is lying about his ship abilities AND about not using any actions last night (or if he chose not to use an action, then it is probable that someone else on his team did so instead).

This is another problem with townies speculating that scum cannot or chose not to kill as though it is a perfectly reasonable assumption. Other players see it and involuntarily accept it as perfectly reasonable; sometimes at the expense of much more reasonable and probable explanations.

-I actually got several confirmations now from Spyrex and I think I know exactly what a player would be informed of under different circumstances. It can vary. I meant to post this previously but forgot. I don't think it is a major concern.
Show

SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Votecount:

Kmd4390 (0)
Dry-fit (5): Kast, Plum, Papa Zito, Porkens, Kmd4390

Locke Lamora (0):
Papa Zito (0)
Excedrin (0)
Plum (0)
Rising (0)
Kast (0):
sigma (0):
Rosso Carne (2): Rising, Excedrin
Porkens (0)

Not Voting (4): Dry-fit, Llocke Lamora, sigma, Rosso Carne,

With 11 alive it takes 6 to lynch!

Dry-fit is at L-1!

Deadline: Saturday, October 17th at 10:30 PM PST

The following player could face modkill at the current rate: Rosso Carne. Prods are sent.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Post by Porkens »

I see strange connections between people in this game. I also have scum reads on individuals and a bit of FIFOM about one other person.

omg, dry-fit is a good lynch today.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

Locke Lamora wrote:I have to confess I am slipping behind with this game. I won't be able to get on until Monday and I was going to come and vote Dry-fit with my final post for the day but as he's already at L-1 I will hold off. For the record, I do not buy his claim and I agree that his attitude towards red ships is completely inconsistent with his own claim. I'm no expert on the flavour of this game but based on what I know, the claim seems incomplete and implausible; in short, it reads like KRW's as a player trying to fakeclaim flavour they don't know much about.

Mod: will be V/LA until Monday.
We're going to have to take care of this tomorrow, btw.
Kappa
Just Monika
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:25 am

Post by sigma »

@porkens: FIFOM?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”