Unvoting

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 7:51 am

Post by Phoebus »

Double post!

OMG!! Mr. Flay and I agree!

I think sir, it's time we treated the folks to a round of drinks! ;)
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 7:54 am

Post by Someone »

Drinks? Count me in!

(On another note...Phoebus...now where's my cookie? :wink:)
PeaceBringer
PeaceBringer
Posts Blindly
PeaceBringer
Posts Blindly
Posts Blindly

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 7:58 am

Post by PeaceBringer »

Pheobus, I am quite used to get flak. I wasn't referring to comments in this thread but comments made elsewhere on site on in a game. And Pheobus, I have no problem signing up for one of your games. Just haven't been there at the right time, or maybe didn't like a particular theme. It is not like I go on and on about unvoting. It is just when I forget to unvote- or now for some unvote X, vote Y, that it gets frustrating. I know it's a different culuture but it is like driving on the left. My man point is this, folks do come here form elsewhere. The experienced people who come here from elsewhere get treat at times as inferior. Now that is something that is likely to happen at any site, given different modes of playing. I get flak, I am not worried about any flak I personally get. I am simply saying that those saying that it is proper to vote this way and anyone who doesn't is lazy, or too dense (which is the attitude some comments suggest) are showing an dificult attitude, much as some people take my attitude or comments.
Yes it is like learning a language but for a community around a game to flourish the attitude towards folks from elsewhere can be tough.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

PeaceBringer wrote:Mr. Flay, if you have taken anything I have said here to be rude, it is not intended. So if any offense was found I apologize. Nothing I said was meant to be taken in a rude manner. I am also sure that others don't intend to put down those who see things differently. It does come down to how it is presented.
For the record, you're not offending me. I deal with more offensive things than you with my breakfast cereal; I work in government. :twisted:
Oh an Mr. Flay, I am not talking about the thread in general. There was a comment in a particular game about anyone who doesn't unvote player X, vote Player Y to be scummy. I have seen multiple times people who come in with a different attiutude and perspective given the run them up the first day treatment and call them scum.
On your first point, whoever tried to say that people who don't unvote/vote a certain way (without a mod rule to back them up) is using spurious logic at best, being elitist at worst. I don't agree with that tactic at all, however in case it's an ongoing game that's all I'm going to say about it.

However, as to "people who are different" getting run up the lynching pole, well, that's sort of a peril of the game, isn't it? Those who stand out get noticed, and if you stand out for being different than the norm, there's a chance you'll get voted for it. We do it with newbies as a conditioning/teaching technique, and I think that's why people started doing it with BabyJesus, although now I'm sure they're voting him just for fun. :twisted: Hell, Internet Stranger is an oldbie from way back, and he gets *lots* of votes because his style of play is different.

It's like going over to someone else's house to play Monopoly, and then complaining because they've got a different version than you're used to. It's rude; just like I'm sure FBG wouldn't appreciate Scummers coming over and telling them how to play the game...
Phoebus wrote:OMG!! Mr. Flay and I agree!

I think sir, it's time we treated the folks to a round of drinks!
Agreed. Whisky, gin, or brandy?
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 8:21 am

Post by Phoebus »

Oh dear - we kinda disagree on the drinks -

Much more of a white/dark rum or vodka person myself.
Well, you get yours, I'll get mine and we can have one hellacious party!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 8:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Couldn't last forever, I suppose. Hell, I was just quoting AC/DC...

Actually, I'll do most single malts, dark rum, etc... so what say we get a 1.75L bottle of Capt. Morgan's Private Stock and ...well, maybe start a new thread somewhere appropriate. :wink:
Retired as of October 2014.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 8:56 am

Post by Phoebus »

Link me!
I'll get the coke and the Coke? :P
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 10:45 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Drinks on us! :lol:

Fair warning, the Bar is tended by bigbenwd... :shock: or was a year and some change ago...
Retired as of October 2014.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2005 9:38 pm

Post by Phoebus »

We might as well assume management of it!
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2005 4:43 am

Post by mathcam »

Internet Stranger wrote:I would prefer if we get unvotes with names. It helps me know who a person was voting for previously.

Although im guilty myself of the "unvote whoevers" when I forget who I was voting for and I got too lazy to figure it out. A poke with a cattle prod would put me back on order.
This is the most I've ever agreed with IS.

To the critics, let me just say that there is nothing wrong with redundancy in a communication system (like the system of informing everyone who you are voting for). The English language is
filled
with redundancies: punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure (and when speaking, voice inflection, loudness, speed), etc., all of which serve to make English more than a series of words. Is this bad? Absolutely not. It's a way to reduce the possible confusion in the reading of an English sentence. As a mediocre example that I've just come up with, consider the following sentence:

"There is one rose. It's on the table."

One might argue that the capitalization and punctuation were "redundant" here, that it's clear what this sentence means without these redundancies. However, if we drop all of that to be left with

"there is one rose it's on the table"

which admits the alternative parsing

"There is one! Rose, it's on the table!"

So while I ended up railing about grammar for a couple of paragraphs, my point here is that redundancy in a system is not something to eliminate, it's something for which to be thankful. Asking players to unvote by name is only a minor inconvenience for the voter him/herself, but as many people have indicated, is often appreciated by the other players. There's also the positive side effect of forcing players to keep up-to-date on who they're voting for, which is good for many reasons.

Cam

Return to “Mafia Discussion”