Unvoting

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Thu May 19, 2005 7:02 am

Post by Phoebus »

Oh it's not just that one thread.
I'd add my two cents to this and would prefer people paying attention.
Naming whom you unvote means you are paying attention to the game and not being lackadaisical.
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Thu May 19, 2005 9:34 pm

Post by Phoebus »

You, of all people should know that adopting to cultural norms is easier than openly trying to dismiss them with a minority influence?

I can respect your decision not to enforce unvotes in your games. It is something I would expect from you, given your opinions on the subject and something you can do as a mod.
However, the fact that you mention openly mocking the concept where it is again a majority's norm, makes me uncomfortable.
What is the goal here? Assimilation and a good time playing? Or back biting and bitching because of non conformists?

Your post strikes two dissimilar cords.
You're entitled to your opinion about this being backward thinking but you mention adapting. At the same time you mention derision?

You get one cookie for spelling my name right though.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #24 (isolation #2) » Fri May 20, 2005 7:48 am

Post by Phoebus »

PeaceBringer wrote:In terms of derision it is just simply me complaining about the redundancy. I realize I get crap for it. I am far more tolerant then others. It is not like I post 100 times a game that I hate unvoting and find it a redundant waste. I have to force myself to do it, it is not natural to me and I let it be known. The open derision also serves to let folks know where i stand in a game and actually serves many purposes.
Well, we all know by now where you stand on the issue. You can do it here.
You have done it here. Why continue flogging the dead horse in-game?
Pray tell what other purpose it serves other than being the non conformist and while you don't go out to offend, and I don't think it offends anyone, it certainly is highly irritating.
PeaceBringer wrote:Again realize that this is a site issue. Saying Unvte, Vote X or Unvote X, Vote Y isn't natural for most people. Heck even most procedural methods of voting in legislatures don't involve unvoting prior to voting.
Why would you say it isn't natural for most people?
Most
people here either began playing here or on the GL where it has been a norm.
It's like learning a language. I learnt a couple because of where I'm brought up, you learnt another because of where you are.
We learnt them all - who is to decide which is natural and which isn't?
You want to play mafia - you "grow up" on scum, you unvote. You "grow up" on FBG, you don't.
However, if I want to communicate with someone, I learn their language. I am in need and I am in minority. I don't expect them to learn mine. I adpat. I conform.
You want to play on scum, surely you can make that effort?
Even then, like many lanugages in a single country, many races, many opinions, opinions defer on scum too. You have a choice of playing with only those mods who are lenient about the rule.
For me, I prolly couldn't care less but it's a norm I "grew up" with and I shall continue with it.

It's only with recent infux of new blood that one sees unvote, vote:x come in. Even then, they make the effort and not whine about it.
PeaceBringer wrote:This thread was started because some folks do want to force unvote X, vote Y. There is also a general putting down of folks that don't see it that way. I admit I openly mock and deried the concept because to me it is a practice in utter redundency. It is simply making my opinion known, it is not something I expect to change but I hate that aspect of playing here.
This thread was started as a general comment on happenings and to elicit people's opinions - it has served its purpose magnificently.
It's not force on my part to do anything - no one forces anyone to play in my games. When people do - it's the rule. Why? "Because"
And I don't see where there is a
general putting down of folks that don't see it that way.
Please point it out.
For my part, I've said (no, not making this personal, just an example) I respect your opinion and you're welcome to it. I've also said no one forces you to play my games and you don't - so we'll never have that problem, but where has there been "putting down"?

Again - You've voiced your opinion enough times for us to know it. There's no reason to keep on harping about it.
Being non conformist in any culture brings a person flak. You actively go about doing it and then expect to be treated any other way?
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #25 (isolation #3) » Fri May 20, 2005 7:51 am

Post by Phoebus »

Double post!

OMG!! Mr. Flay and I agree!

I think sir, it's time we treated the folks to a round of drinks! ;)
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #29 (isolation #4) » Fri May 20, 2005 8:21 am

Post by Phoebus »

Oh dear - we kinda disagree on the drinks -

Much more of a white/dark rum or vodka person myself.
Well, you get yours, I'll get mine and we can have one hellacious party!
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #31 (isolation #5) » Fri May 20, 2005 8:56 am

Post by Phoebus »

Link me!
I'll get the coke and the Coke? :P
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #33 (isolation #6) » Fri May 20, 2005 9:38 pm

Post by Phoebus »

We might as well assume management of it!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”