Newbie 1040 ~ Murder in Newbville! ~ Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Newbie 1040 ~ Murder in Newbville! ~ Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Post by KittyMo »

In the peaceful land of mafiascum, past the sprawling Theme Park and the reconstruction of Italy in model form, there lies The Road to Rome. Vel-Rahn Koon rules over this land as the Newbie Herder, getting newbies to the games they need to play and also getting as many ICs and Mods as he can drag away from other queues.

Unfortunately, he was assassinated this morning! We must restore order.

Backup Mod: Nobody Special

Still Alive [2]:

Uite
silverbullet999
(SE), Mafia Roleblocker
LordChronos (SE), Mafia Goon

Quite Dead [7]:

Charlie
Grump
, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched Day 1.
Equinox (IC), a Vanilla Townie, was killed Night 1.
Kishime
MrDNA32
, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched Day 2.
bvoigt
Lindisfarne
(SE), a Vanilla Townie, was killed Night 2.
mikemike778, Vanilla Townie, was Endgamed Day 3
AzBlueM
soothingvapors
, Vanilla Townie, was Endgamed Day 3
hiphop
a2rudeboy
(SE), Vanilla Townie, was Lynched Day 3

The Setup

This game uses one of the four F11 setups, which are chosen by
The Illuminati
random.org. The setups are as follows:
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.
The Role PMs for all these roles are as follows:
"Welcome to Murder in Newbville, XXX! You are a Townie. You're just another site newbie who was following VRK to your next game.. until he started suffering from a bad case of dead.

You have no abilities other than your voice and your vote. Do NOT, at any time, communicate with any other player privately.

You win when all the mafia are dead, even if you're not alive. Please confirm that you've read this by PMing me your role."
"Welcome to Murder in Newbville, XXX! You are a Cop. You're a site newbie, but you're also exceptionally talented at sneaking into people's houses.

Each night, you may PM the moderator with the name of a player you'd like to investigate. You will learn whether they are Town or Mafia. If you're blocked by the Mafia Roleblocker, you'll recieve a result of "No Result". Do NOT, at any time, communicate with any other player privately.

You win when all the mafia are dead, even if you're not alive. Please confirm that you've read this by PMing me your role."
"Welcome to Murder in Newbville, XXX! You are a Doctor. You're also a newbie like everyone else, but you have the power to save people from death. VRK was too late when you arrived. But THIS time..

Each night, you may PM the moderator with the name of a player you want to protect. If they're targeted by the mafia, they will not die. You will not be informed if the protection was successful, OR if you were blocked by the Mafia Roleblocker. Do NOT, at any time, communicate with any other player privately.

"Welcome to Murder in Newbville, XXX! You are a Mafia Goon. Now that VRK is dead, you must throw the town into dissary before they discover you and your partner, YYY (who is a Mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker).

During the night phase, you may PM me the name of a player you want to kill. You may also talk with your partner during nights only here: <QT>.

You win when the mafia outnumber the town, or when nothing could prevent this. Please confirm that you've read this by PMing me your role."
"Welcome to Murder in Newbville, XXX! You are a Mafia Roleblocker. You'll have to use your extra ability to fend off those who could bring you and your partner, YYY (who is a Mafia Goon) down.

During the night phase, you may PM me the name of a player you want to block. If that player has a night action, it will fail. You may also talk with your partner during nights only here: <QT>. If your partner dies, you may submit both a kill and a block.

You win when the mafia outnumber the town, or when nothing could prevent this. Please confirm that you've read this by PMing me your role."
Last edited by KittyMo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
Kitoari
Kitoari
Goon
Kitoari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Post by Kitoari »

Game Rules

Stolen from Vel-Rahn Koon.

The Golden Rule

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game. Playing to win does not preclude being considerate of each other!

There is a ZERO tolerance policy for personal attacks in this game. I will remove you from the game (possibly without warning) if you get too personal.

General Rules/Game Etiquette
  1. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. Please remember that you made a commitment to participate when you signed up to play. If you cannot fulfill this commitment, please contact the Mod and request a replacement instead of just disappearing!
  5. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
    If someone contacts you outside the game you should report it to the game Mod IMMEDIATELY.
Activity/Prods/Replacements
  1. You should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  2. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or after 3 real-life days of no activity.
  3. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  4. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice (player-requested prods do not count towards this total).
  5. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please PM the Mod so that you don’t get replaced!
Deadlines
  1. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines.

2. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
  3. Nights will have a standard deadline of 72 hours.
  4. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  5. Deadlines may be shortened if activity is too low, or if all Night choices have been received early.
Player Actions/Voting/Player Death
  1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person (via voting) for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down). If no one has a simple majority of votes at deadline a No Lynch will occur.
  2. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    ).
  3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Unvote: Player
    or
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes/Unvotes should be placed on a line all by themselves to make them easier for everyone to see.
  6. Votes/Unvotes that reasonably follow the guidelines specified above, and are unambiguous with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations, will count. Attempting to fake a vote will result in a Modkill.
  7. Once a player has reached a simple majority of votes no further unvoting will change their fate.
  8. When a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players may continue to post.
  9. If you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post that contains NO game related information.
  10. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  11. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
Miscellaneous
  1. Dark red
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Vote counts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity (up to and including a Modkill) as the Mod sees fit.
  7. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night. The offender’s role will be changed to Neutral Survivor, which guarantees a loss.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
Last edited by KittyMo on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Interested in doing a Dept. Heaven Large Theme. If you're interested in ironing it out, drop me a line.
Kitoari
Kitoari
Goon
Kitoari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Post by Kitoari »

That's 7 people, so we can go ahead and start.

Grump and Soothingvapors haven't confirmed yet. If they don't confirm in 48 hours, I'll start looking for a replacement.

IT IS DAY 1. With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch!
Interested in doing a Dept. Heaven Large Theme. If you're interested in ironing it out, drop me a line.
Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

This game has more experienced players than newbies. This shall be interesting.

Random questions, for everyone:
- What is your favorite role to play in mafia and why?
- Is meta-gaming based on a player's past actions a solid tactic to you? Why or why not?
- Which role would you prefer: SK or Mason; and why?
[i][color=red]"He looks like the type of guy who can marathon write no matter his alignment without looking scummy at all." -Xtoxm[/color][/i]
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Post by LordChronos »

@mod: There are 10 players on the player list, is this intended?

@Lindis

The only roles I have gotten to play are vanilla townie, scum, and jack of all trades. Of those, I like scum best because it is the most challenging.

Meta gaming can be helpful sometimes, but players can and do play against their metas.

I would prefer Mason, because it lets you share your thoughts with someone else and you aren't playing 1 against everyone else.

On to business:
Vote: Equinox
I'm a talking computer.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by silverbullet999 »

- Is meta-gaming based on a player's past actions a solid tactic to you? Why or why not?
I hate RQS...

1. town as I have played the role the most and i like being hidden in the dark and now knowing things til the end
2. depends on the player, if situation a happens in one game and then situation a happens in another game and the player reacts differently all of a sudden.. i'll suspect something
3. neither as i haven't played as either of them

lastly

VOTE: Equinox

Because as I said before... your scum..
... People were right it seems....
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Post by Equinox »

Hi! I'm Equinox, the IC player for this game. Long story short, I have two goals in this game: 1) to teach you some Mafia, and 2) to win. My play here is bound by this wiki article.

As an IC, I will not be dishonest with you when I am discussing gameplay and theory. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions you have. Similarly, if you're unsure of whether I'm saying something as an IC or as a player, feel free to ask me and I'll clarify.

We have four SE players in the game: a2rudeboy, Lindisfarne, LordChronos, and silverbullet999. They, too, are available to answer questions and talk about gameplay, but they are not under the same obligations as the IC. Besides, you should be listening to me. ;)

A few first pointers before we get started:
  • Mafia can become a very heated game. If something in the game angers you, log off and take a breather. Emotion will affect your judgment and your ability to be persuasive. Anger also makes you a harder player to read, and transparency is one of the best indicators of pro-town alignment out there.
  • Be proactive. It's tempting to sit back and watch everyone else do most of the work, but the best way to learn how to play and catch scum is to actively engage the game. Ask questions, generate discussion, and take stances. Nothing scares the mafia more than a townie who isn't afraid to speak up.
  • Examine motivations behind what people do and say. It's easy to put in some effort and look like a town player; don't be fooled by how much work someone puts in. What scum hunting boils down to is determining what drives people to do what they're doing. Is what this person doing more likely to benefit town or scum? How? Why?
  • Never give up. It might seem hopeless when a bunch of people are calling for your blood, but it really isn't. Talk your way out of it. Go down fighting if you must. Whatever you do, never self-hammer if you're a town player unless you're literally 2 minutes away from deadline.
  • When a player is at L-1 (one vote from lynch), the standard procedure is to have the person being lynched claim their role before the final vote is placed. The request should come from someone who isn't on the bandwagon yet but has the intention of voting.
Below are a few articles that I found useful when I first started out. I strongly recommend reading these, as they introduce you to how we play Mafia.

Recommended reading

Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

Chronos: There are nine players on the list.

silverbullet: why do you hate RQS? Do you not find it more enlightening than RVS?

@both: why the votes on Equinox?

Equinox: You did not answer my questions.
[i][color=red]"He looks like the type of guy who can marathon write no matter his alignment without looking scummy at all." -Xtoxm[/color][/i]
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Post by Equinox »

I'd like to continue from Lindisfarne's questions and ask a few of my own so we can get better acquainted. I will answer these once everyone else has contributed.
  1. What is your time zone? How often do you expect to post?
  2. Have you played Mafia before? If yes, how much and what kind of experience do you have?
  3. In a hypothetical situation, you get to pick who dies from two candidates. Candidate A hasn't contributed much all day and has been rather quiet. Candidate B was caught in a lie. Who do you lynch: the lurker or the liar? Why?
  4. In a hypothetical situation, you have determined through all sorts of analyses that a player is town. However, your gut tells you this player is scum. (Feel free to consider the reverse situation as well.) What do you conclude? Why?

In other news:

VOTE: silverbullet999

Dude, you're still on about that? Open 233 ended ages ago.
Lindisfarne wrote:Random questions, for everyone:
  1. Townie. Unlike any of the other roles, you have a lot of freedom when you're a townie. You don't have to hold back for fear of a NK, since townies are (sort of) disposable, and you're completely honest and transparent because you don't need to hide anything.
  2. It depends. If the person is aware of their scum meta, it's not as useful because now you're dealing with WIFOM. IMO, the best way you can tell is if the person brings up his/her own meta. However, if you know for a fact that this person is very, very consistent with their meta (e.g., always lurks as scum, no exceptions), then meta tells are one of the best.
  3. Mason. SKs are worse than scum, the reason being it's a singular win condition. You've got no buddies to help you out, and you're pretty much between a rock and a hard place. Thus, you not only have to dodge town trying to root you out, but you also have to watch for scum NKing you. Zero freedom there. Masons, on the other hand, are a bit difficult because of the whole "don't get NKed" issue, but I still love having a QT with which to bounce ideas, especially since everyone there is confirmed town.
Preview edit:
Lindisfarne wrote:Equinox: You did not answer my questions.
I know. I was posting a template. :P

One more post coming up.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Post by Equinox »

There are a couple of things I'd like to cover in addition to the last two walls of text. (Sorry. I'll try to be more concise in the future.)

First, votes. There are two ways to make a vote. The first is to simply bold your vote, as demonstrated by LordChronos. This is fine.

The other, should you choose to use it, is to use vote tags, as silverbullet999 and I have done. The tag is as follows:

Code: Select all

[vote]Kitoari[/vote]

You can also unvote using an unvote tag, which is:

Code: Select all

[unvote]Kitoari[/unvote]

The name inside the Unvote tag is optional, and some mods prefer that you don't put a name next to an unvote to prevent confusion. Be sure to check the rules. Incidentally, Kitoari doesn't mind either way.

Second, also related to votes, is a tip. Eventually, you will want to refer to old bandwagons and figure out who voted whom at what time. A great way to do this is with a spreadsheet. Here's a sample one I made for an old newbie game: Newbie 973

I strongly recommend making one for each game you play. It's a great time saver, and you might notice a thing or two when you look at the pattern of votes as a big picture.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:44 pm

-Equi
Dude, you're still on about that? Open 233 ended ages ago.
I will never forget! :P

-Lindi
silverbullet: why do you hate RQS? Do you not find it more enlightening than RVS?
RVS normally makes me laugh much more and i find it more entertaining. It sometimes and sometimes is not more enlightening than RVS.
why the votes on Equinox?
read above.. and read my post where i voted...
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 pm

also didn't catch this
What is your time zone? How often do you expect to post?
Have you played Mafia before? If yes, how much and what kind of experience do you have?
In a hypothetical situation, you get to pick who dies from two candidates. Candidate A hasn't contributed much all day and has been rather quiet. Candidate B was caught in a lie. Who do you lynch: the lurker or the liar? Why?
In a hypothetical situation, you have determined through all sorts of analyses that a player is town. However, your gut tells you this player is scum. (Feel free to consider the reverse situation as well.) What do you conclude? Why?
1. EST, varied
2. yes... for awhile now.. I still suck me thinks
3. Depends on the lie and what day it is.
4. err.... neutral i guess, they aren't cleared to me and they aren't scum to me.
Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

I have my own personal reservations towards the whole L-1 role claim business, but it's largely situational.

1. EST. I may go a day without posting at times. Other times I sit here refresh over and over for awhile. It depends on my work schedule. Someone made a formula for the fun of it in one of my games, that the longer the game lasts, the longer my posts get. Admittedly, I have a tendency to marathon write at times.
2. Yes. I have a decent amount of experience. 4-5 newbie games and a mini somewhere. I also played a good deal of real life mafia, and I played on a mafia facebook group. This is my first game on ms in close to a year.
3. Situational. If one scum has died, and candidate A is someone who just replaced into the game, I would push for candidate A. Higher chance that they replaced into an anti town role with no backup. They would have a better than average chance of being scum in that situation (thinking egocentrically of course). However, It would also depend on candidate b, and what they have lied about. The game is largely situation, no cut or dry answer on this one.
4. I would WANT to say logic trumps the gut, since that's how I roll. I do know, that things don't always pan out that way. Some people just play a damn good game. And if you have some idiot towns people (in one newbie game I saw, THREE people claimed doc. That's just silly) they can over shadow scumminess from others.
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Post by LordChronos »

My bad on the number of players; I read the nailed to the perch line as a player name. Curse mafiascum for allowing spaces in usernames.

@Lindis

My vote was a vote to get discussion going and bring out opinions and reactions. What are your situational reservations about the whole L-1 role claim business?

Answers to Equinox's questions:
1. PST. I am aiming for at least one post a day, though often I post two or three. It depends alot on the day.
2. Yes. I have finished 12 games here I think, four of which where non-newbie games.
3. Assuming we are discussing a newbie game, I would lynch the liar. There is no pro-town motivation to be lying in a newbie game.
4. I will go with my gut for two main reasons because second-guessing yourself is often wrong (I have experience with this from tests and spelling bees). I suppose it does depend a bit on how strong of a gut read I have. Obviously, the stronger my gut read, the more likely I am to vote them.

Thanks for the voting spreadsheet tip, btw. Gonna go start that now.
I'm a talking computer.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Post by Equinox »

In his signature, Kitoari wrote:Newbie 1040 - Sorry guys, this is beyond my control. VRK can probably get a reroll going of it - I'm really sorry.
MOD: I hope everything works out. In the meantime, should we just wait for VRK to intervene?

silverbullet999 wrote:3. Depends on the lie and what day it is.
Can you elaborate a bit?
silverbullet999 wrote:4. err.... neutral i guess, they aren't cleared to me and they aren't scum to me.
Memory refresher: Newbie 940, Thor665 had the hammer on Day 4 LyLo; his gut said Equinox was town, but his logic read was Nachomamma8 was town (and Equinox scum by extension). Imagine you're in his shoes. What do you do?
Lindisfarne wrote:I played on a mafia facebook group.
Off-topic: Those Mafia Facebook games... are those the slow, forum type or the real-time type? I've always wondered but never bothered to try.
Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

Chronos:

If I was scum, at L-1 in a newbie game when no one had claimed: I would claim Cop. Best situation? No one counters, people back off because of it, and I'm likely to live another day. Worst situation? Someone counterclaims, and now my partner knows who to kill at night. It's situational, yes. But its risky for town to WANT people to claim. It opens up doors that could really hurt town.

Now, if I was a townie at L-1, and claim cop - great. I probably wont be lynched. I, however, will die that night. Naturally, I would have died in the day if I didn't claim, but the point here is: The benefit doesn't outweigh the possible problems that could arise for town.

This is, as I said, situational. But it's something I don't think should be taken as automatic at L-1.
Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

Eq: They are forum type, but the one I was in had 40 some people, so it was VERY active.

It was a fun game though. I was a mason, and ended up revealing that early on. I said I would reveal all of my members the next day, naturally scum kept me alive that night. So I ratted off all 6 of us. In a game that big, 6 guaranteed townies was a big benefit for town. Scum had to spend a long time trying to kill all of us off, giving our REAL power roles several days to work their magic. It was a worthwhile gambit that helped town big time by the end.

It was fun, but I'm not THAT keen on having so many players. Hard to keep track of things.
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Post by LordChronos »

Lindisfarne wrote:Chronos:

If I was scum, at L-1 in a newbie game when no one had claimed: I would claim Cop. Best situation? No one counters, people back off because of it, and I'm likely to live another day. Worst situation? Someone counterclaims, and now my partner knows who to kill at night. It's situational, yes. But its risky for town to WANT people to claim. It opens up doors that could really hurt town.

Now, if I was a townie at L-1, and claim cop - great. I probably wont be lynched. I, however, will die that night. Naturally, I would have died in the day if I didn't claim, but the point here is: The benefit doesn't outweigh the possible problems that could arise for town.

This is, as I said, situational. But it's something I don't think should be taken as automatic at L-1.
There are a couple problems with your logic here. First, in your scum scenario: the worst situation is not the one you presented. It is the one in which the reasoned, thinking townies analyze your play with the claim in effect and decides you aren't the cop and lynches you anyway. Second, if town doesn't want claims, then you leave yourself open to lynch your cop or doc without a claim, which is bad. Third, if you as scum are going to fake claim cop, you will claim no matter if the town asks you or not.
I'm a talking computer.
MrDNA32
MrDNA32
Townie
MrDNA32
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Post by MrDNA32 »

Lindisfarne wrote:This game has more experienced players than newbies. This shall be interesting.

I've only played town, so not much of an opionion yet.

I don't really know yet, I think that it might sense people tend to do ehat worked for them before.

SK, it sounds like a challenge
Equinox wrote:I'd like to continue from Lindisfarne's questions and ask a few of my own so we can get better acquainted. I will answer these once everyone else has contributed.
  2. Have you played Mafia before? If yes, how much and what kind of experience do you have?
  3. In a hypothetical situation, you get to pick who dies from two candidates. Candidate A hasn't contributed much all day and has been rather quiet. Candidate B was caught in a lie. Who do you lynch: the lurker or the liar? Why?
  4. In a hypothetical situation, you have determined through all sorts of analyses that a player is town. However, your gut tells you this player is scum. (Feel free to consider the reverse situation as well.) What do you conclude? Why?
EST, hopefully at least once a day

One newbie game here, I have modded a few werewolf games in real life.

Lynch all liars, there is no good reason for town to lie

Leave the player be for now but keep an eye on them and reevaluate your analysis after some time away for new things you might have missed before.

VOTE: Grump

for not confirming yet
In the criminal justice system of Gotham, there are three groups. The police, who investigate, the DAs who prosecute and the g*****n Batman.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:33 pm

-equii
Can you elaborate a bit?
Basically if I feel that their lie basically reveals them as scum... and it's not lylo, and I think someone else is suspicious as well... I'd rather lynch the other first since you basically have confirmed scum. That's not to say a liar is always scum... such as andrew and his constant fake claims and such. It basically all depends on the situation.
Memory refresher: Newbie 940, Thor665 had the hammer on Day 4 LyLo; his gut said Equinox was town, but his logic read was Nachomamma8 was town (and Equinox scum by extension). Imagine you're in his shoes. What do you do?
Geez that's a mind refresher alright... I'd probably go with gut as I think my gut creates reads (for better or worse) that also has me believing it to be logical... get it?

However I would have thought Nacho was town in that game when he went and saved lil ol me.
Kitoari
Kitoari
Goon
Kitoari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:27 am

Post by Kitoari »

False alarm, people - carry on as normal.
a2rudeboy
a2rudeboy
Goon
a2rudeboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:04 am

Post by a2rudeboy »

Wow hadn't realized the game started yet...was expecting a thread link.

@Equi- Hello, again. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of you than in Sea Container.

VOTE: silver for that damned posting style in Hotel Death.

Giant Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of Its Ass. Self-explanatory.

I have never been a large fan of meta. It's too easy to throw it around as an excuse for actions. Creates way too much wifom.

Probably mason as i have a tendency to get lynched easily.

Round 2:

EST. My screen is always loaded to the forum. I'm trying to get back into posting more often, as i've lurked my way through the vast majority of my games lately.

Real life, some. On site, around ten or so games.

It's situational. Depends on the severity of the lie (I've seen plenty of games where someone was caught in a lie and it lead to a mislynch) I've never been one to lynch all lurkers either, real life happens.
My scumdar has been horribly off lately, so I'm trying to recalibrate. I will say, some people I can get no reads on (Vollkan, is an example)

Equi- I miss your chaos/order question.
mikemike778
mikemike778
Goon
mikemike778
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:06 am

Post by mikemike778 »

Equinox wrote:I'd like to continue from Lindisfarne's questions and ask a few of my own so we can get better acquainted. I will answer these once everyone else has contributed.
  4. In a hypothetical situation, you have determined through all sorts of analyses that a player is town. However, your gut tells you this player is scum.
1. GMT - hopefully every day or at least every other day.

2. 1 game here (as scum) and about half a dozen in a cricket site called Battrick in which games were very different (2 day deadlines, more players etc).

3. Generally speaking, the liar. Lurkers are a pain in the backside but it doesn't mean they are scum.

4. Hmm.. I'd need examples of these analyses. If there was solid evidence against someone that would for me, take precedence over a hunch.
mikemike778
mikemike778
Goon
mikemike778
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 am

Post by mikemike778 »

More questions .....

Favourite role ... not really had anything particularly unusual although the mason roles in BT were good as we could daytalk as well so it was our little team against the universe.

Meta-gaming ... dangerous really I'd expect scum to attempt to attempt to play towards their town meta and away from mafia meta. Think you need a big big sample. In BT the same players play most of the games so its easier to read this sort of stuff but here I'd expect it to be harder.

Which role - SK as I've never had a go at that one
mikemike778
mikemike778
Goon
mikemike778
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:14 am

Post by mikemike778 »

Wiithout wanting to de-content-ify the thread, I think we should all take a moment however the pay our respects to Vel-Rahn Koon :(

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”