Newbie 952 - Murder on Newbie Street! (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Newbie 952 - Murder on Newbie Street! (GAME OVER)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Newbie 952 - Murder on Newbie Street

Mod: xRECKONERx

It was a day just like any other on Newbie Street, until the whole lot of you stumbled upon murder most foul. There in the midst of the street, you found anonymous citizen X, lying in a pool of blood with a bullet wound through his head! With the murderers still among you, it's time to use your brain, your voice, and your vote to hunt down those scumbags...

Game Status:
GAME OVER

ALIVE (4)
ManfredvonKarma
Llamarble
Sworddancer9034
Damon_Gant
Parama (SE) [replaced D1]

DEAD (6)Anonymous Citizen X,
neutral NPC
, killed N0
SilentoBoborachi,
Mafia Goon
, lynched D1
Haylen (IC),
Vanilla Townie
, killed N1
shadow2222
replaced Tactical Tomato D1
Vanilla Townie
, lynched D2
Exemption,
Vanilla Townie
, killed N2
smashbro_of_the_SSS (SE),
Mafia Goon
, lynched D3

MODKILLED (0)nobody, hopefully

• Game Flow:

• Assuming you don't lynch or anything first, each day will last three weeks, which is standard for newbie games. You may request a deadline extension, but it is up to my final decision whether or not I grant the extension based on what I've seen. There will not be a lynch if the game goes to night due to this deadline--someone has to consciously place a hammer vote.
  • You may choose to go to night without a lynch before then, by having at least half of the players
    vote: No Lynch
    . (That's half, not a full majority.)
  • Votes should be posted in the format '
    vote: Barack Obama
    .' I expect them to be entirely bold, but don't try to exploit this to trick someone. I'll count what I damn well want to count. I will register misspellings and nicknames if I can figure out who you're referring to. You do not have to
    unvote
    , but you're welcome to do so anyway.
  • When a player has the majority of the votes at a single point, they are dead and the game goes to twilight. You may post in twilight until I get a lynch scene up.
  • Night deadlines are usually going to be 48-hours, or whenever I receive all actions. If you have a role but don't want to perform a night action, just PM me with the phrase
    No Night Action
    so I know you've made your choice.
  • If any anti-town faction does not submit a kill at night, they will no kill and the day phase will continue.

What is and isn't allowed:

• Unless otherwise specified, living players can't communicate with each other out of the thread. I will set up a QuickTopic for anyone who is able to communicate with someone else.
  • You
    may
    rant to both dead players and nonplaying friends, although you're encouraged to first make sure that said friends aren't interested in replacing in with you. (I am of course available, sympathetic and discreet.) Regardless of where you found them, rantbuddies may not reveal their own opinions on the game.
  • "Dead" means "dead." You can have one "Bah! I'm dead! Go town!" post afterwards, but if it contains any game relevant information, I will delete it, bring you back from the dead, and modkill you just to prove a point.
  • Read your role PM and
    summarize it in your confirmation PM response to me
    . Unless I've posted it publically, you may not reference its wording in-thread. You can paraphrase if you must claim, but any direct quotation of any PMs will result in a modkill.
  • The ooc font and
    tags are my domain. Don't use them. Don't pretend to use them.
  • You may only type in default font, italics, bold, underline, etc. Do not increase or decrease default font size, do not change font colors, etc.

What to expect from me:

• Do try to be active, and leave a notification in-thread and/or by PM if that's not possible. I will automatically prod anyone who has not posted over 72 hours--and that's pretty lenient; you are expected to post more than once every three days. If asked, I will disclose the status of any prod.
  • If you don't post in-thread in response to a prod within 24 hours, I will seek a replacement to take over your role. I may seek replacement for a player who lurks consistently without breaking this rule, but you'll have some sort of warning first.
  • If you receive three prods in a row without much contribution to the game, you will automatically be replaced.
  • I'll try to post one votecount per page, as close to the top as possible. If I make errors, please correct me.
  • I'm one of those "spirit-of-the-game"-type hippies. This ruleset is a guideline. I reserve the right to change it at will, and even in extreme circumstances enforce it retroactively. If a strategy feels shady to you, you might want to take it up with me first.

Miscellaneous:

• Play to win, but do try to have fun while you're at it.
Thanks, Ether, for the original ruleset which I modified.

The setup used in this game is called F11. One of the four setups below will be selected at random:
1 mafia goon + 1 mafia roleblocker vs. 1 cop + 1 doctor + 5 vanilla townies
2 mafia goons vs. 1 cop + 6 vanilla townies
2 mafia goons vs. 1 doctor + 6 vanilla townies
1 mafia goon + 1 mafia roleblocker vs. 7 vanilla townies

The mafia will know right off the bat whether they have a roleblocker or not, and from there they'll be able to narrow this down to two setups.

Each of you will receive a role PM; all of the role PMs put together will add up to one of the above setups. Here are possible roles:
Vanilla Townie Role PM wrote:You are a
vanilla townie
!

You are armed with your two most powerful tools: your voice, and your vote. Each day, you must discuss and vote in the thread to try and find the anti-town members among you. You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Cop Role PM wrote:You are a
cop
!

During the day, you must work with the rest of the town to lynch the bad guys among you! At night, however, you are able to investigate one player. To do so, send me a PM with the name of the player you wish to investigate. I will respond with one of the following replies: "guilty", "innocent", or "investigation failed". You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Doctor Role PM wrote:You are a
doctor
!

During the day, you must work with the rest of the town to lynch the bad guys among you! At night, however, you are able to protect one player. To do so, send me a PM with the name of the player you wish to protect. If that player is targeted for a kill that night, barring extenuating circumstances, you will use your doctor-powers to stop the kill! You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Mafia Goon Role PM wrote:You are a
Mafia Goon
!

During the day, you must blend in with the rest of the town and try to keep your identity hidden. At night, you must converse with your partner, PARTNERNAME, in order to plot out who to kill. You win when you are equal in number to the town, or nothing can prevent that from happening. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Mafia Roleblocker Role PM wrote:You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
!

During the day, you must blend in with the rest of the town and try to keep your identity hidden. At night, you must converse with your partner, PARTNERNAME, in order to plot out who to kill. In addition to being able to kill, you can also choose to roleblock someone. If that person tries to use a night action when you roleblock them, they will fail to do so. You win when you are equal in number to the town, or nothing can prevent that from happening. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Last edited by xRECKONERx on Fri May 28, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'm gonna give Silento another 24 hours to confirm before replacing him.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

It is now Day 1. Deadline is three weeks from now. Nobody is voting. GOGOGO!
green shirt thursdays
Exemption
Exemption
Goon
Exemption
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Post by Exemption »

hey just some random questions to get this started
everyone answer please.
-which do you prefer to play? scum or town
-how much experiance do you have?
-would you say real life mafia is better or forum based mafia?
Show
Don't go over it, Don't go under it, Don't go round it, Go through it.

Side/Wins/Losses
Town/1/0

Scum/1/0

SK/0/0
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Post by smashbro_of_the_SSS »

Alright guys, I'm smashbro_of_the_SSS, one of your SE's.

I'm a newer player too, and while I have a few months under my belt, I still don't play mafia as well, as I'd like to, so I'm hanging around here for a while. That, and I like helping new players.

So, if you have any questions about the game mafia or something about the site, or something else like that, feel free to ask the IC or one of us SE's (obviously the IC has more experience and/or is a better player, so go to him first). Within the game, I'm a normal player (just like the IC and other SE) so treat us as such.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, now comes the random voting or questions, I guess I'll do both.

@all

What is your experience playing mafia?
Do you prefer to play as town or mafia, why?

Vote: Damon_Gant
so I will be the only SE around ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, since my name is long and tiresome to type out, I go by smashbro, smashy, SSS, SSSS, bro, brother of the smashing or whatever else you can come up with. It's fun to see people's names for me :D

oh, and be sure to have fun!
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:17 pm

I swear I typed it first, got ninja'd lol.

-I prefer to play as scum, usually, because it's more fun to play by pulling all the strings. But I'm starting to like playing as I've spent more time on the site.

-I've been on here since middle of January? somewhere around there. played about 5-10 games, a couple didn't get completed. In real life, I started playing with some friends this past December a bit. So then I got interested and found this.

-Both real life and online have their own positives and negatives, but in real life, I usually get killed first. And here, the focus is on words, and I like that. Can't wait to go back and play with my friends after getting a mafiascum education. so right now I like online better.
Exemption
Exemption
Goon
Exemption
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Post by Exemption »

haha
vote smashbro
for having a slightly slower internet ;p

I play mafia quite alot in real life and have played one game on this site.

I prefer to play mafia generally as I like to have the advantage of being an informed minority. Also I think it makes you play more attention to the game as making mistakes is alot less forgiving.

and i'll answer my last question as well. I prefer to play online as it is more thought out and tactical in my opinion.
Show

Side/Wins/Losses
Town/1/0

Scum/1/0

SK/0/0
ManfredvonKarma
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Post by ManfredvonKarma »

Hello, gentlemen, may I offer you a cigarette?

Quick little note: You can abbreviate my name as MvK. Most people do.

Survey answers:
  • I prefer to play as town in forum mafia (particularly as a VT). I find that you wind up obsessing over every little thing you say otherwise.
    I have a decent amount of experience with forum mafia, and around 150 games played on EpicMafia (though this is my first game here).
    I have not played real life mafia.
smashbro_of_the_SSS wrote:
Vote: Damon_Gant
so I will be the only SE around ;)
Funny, I wanted to vote him so that I'd be the only one with a Phoenix Wright name around.
Tactical Tomato
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Post by Tactical Tomato »

1. Anything with a power role.
2. Some IRC games
3. Forum based.
ManfredvonKarma wrote:Funny, I wanted to vote him so that I'd be the only one with a Phoenix Wright name around.
But why won't you vote for him?
ManfredvonKarma
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Tactical Tomato wrote:
ManfredvonKarma wrote:Funny, I wanted to vote him so that I'd be the only one with a Phoenix Wright name around.
Jokey RVS votes tend to lose their oomph once someone else has voted for the person your joke is directed towards.
Tactical Tomato
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:43 pm

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
Tactical Tomato wrote:
Jokey RVS votes tend to lose their oomph once someone else has voted for the person your joke is directed towards.
To me, it seems really suspicious to not want to vote for someone so early in the game; you might be scumbuddies with him.

I wanted to slow down, but that stifles discussion. However, I'll try not to be rash.

HoS vonKarma
Tactical Tomato
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:46 pm

EBWOP:

Vote: vonKarma

Or else that would be awkwardly hypocritical. 8-)
Exemption
Exemption
Goon
Exemption
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Post by Exemption »

unvote, vote: Tactical Tomato

personally i think his reasons for not voting are fine.
i would say you are being a bit rash yes.
Show

Side/Wins/Losses
Town/1/0

Scum/1/0

SK/0/0
Tactical Tomato
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Exemption wrote:

But still, random voting is called random for a reason...
it seems scummy to break that rule on the very first page.
Tactical Tomato
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 pm

ManfredvonKarma wrote:Jokey RVS votes tend to lose their oomph once someone else has voted for the person your joke is directed towards.
So what if it is? It's better to get a mislynch than a no lynch, as you can analyze the voting patterns from that day.
ManfredvonKarma
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Tactical Tomato wrote:But still, random voting is called random for a reason...
You seem to be implying that just because I didn't make that particular vote during RVS, I intended to never vote during RVS. That's not the case.
Tactical Tomato
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:02 pm

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
Tactical Tomato wrote:But still, random voting is called random for a reason...
You seem to be implying that just because I didn't make that particular vote during RVS, I intended to never vote during RVS. That's not the case.
But why not vote for him? You have no idea who is or is not scum the beginning of the game, so it doesn't matter precisely who you vote for.

Unless you are the informed minority, AKA scum.
ManfredvonKarma
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
ManfredvonKarma
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Tactical Tomato wrote:
ManfredvonKarma wrote:Jokey RVS votes tend to lose their oomph once someone else has voted for the person your joke is directed towards.
So what if it is? It's better to get a mislynch than a no lynch, as you can analyze the voting patterns from that day.
What....

Are you trying to say that not immediately placing an RVS vote means that I want a No Lynch today? Furthermore, you seem to think that the day one lynch needs to be random. It doesn't. From the RVS, you can usually make a case with actual evidence against one or more players. RVS is a tool for trying to get the scum to slip, not a means to decide your actual lynch.
Tactical Tomato
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Tactical Tomato
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:04 pm

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
Tactical Tomato wrote:
What....

Are you trying to say that not immediately placing an RVS vote means that I want a No Lynch today? Furthermore, you seem to think that the day one lynch needs to be random. It doesn't. From the RVS, you can usually make a case with actual evidence against one or more players. RVS is a tool for trying to get the scum to slip, not a means to decide your actual lynch.
Okay, you know what? I can see the logic from that point on. I apologize.

unvote
Exemption
Exemption
Goon
Exemption
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Post by Exemption »

Tactical Tomato wrote:
Exemption wrote:

But still, random voting is called random for a reason...

Not really, the idea of the random voting stage is to see if someone makes a move that you don't like. I didn't like what you said so i voted for you.
Show

Side/Wins/Losses
Town/1/0

Scum/1/0

SK/0/0
SilentoBoborachi
SilentoBoborachi
Townie
SilentoBoborachi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Post by SilentoBoborachi »

1. My experience in mafia consists of one game in real life. As I find it interesting, I want to learn more about it and get more experience.

2. I would say being town would be more interesting, the one time I was mafia in the real life game it seemed to be more of a waiting game of slowly whittling down the townies. As townie, the total paranoia makes the game what it is.

3. In terms of whether the real life mafia was better than forum mafia, I'll tell you once this game is over. :D
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:40 pm

i dont have much time to talk, but Silento, it would be helpful if you got an avatar. on the forum people and usually recognize whose post they are reading based off of it.
Llamarble
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Post by Llamarble »

Hi everyone; I'll start by answering Ex's 3 questions.
1. I prefer playing town since I enjoy reading people.
2. I have played a fair amount of real-life mafia, but this is my first forum game. I read through a few completed games to get an idea of how people play, so hopefully I'll be a useful contributor.
3. That's what I'm hoping to find out. I'll miss reading faces and voices, but it will be nice to have a record of everything so I can go back and see what looks scummy in view of later events.

Now onto accusations!
Misrepresentation is a known scumtell. Smash misrepresented the gender of our IC in post 4. Therefore,
Vote: Smash
Sworddancer9034
Sworddancer9034
Townie
Sworddancer9034
Townie
Townie
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Post by Sworddancer9034 »

Exemption wrote:hey just some random questions to get this started
everyone answer please.
-which do you prefer to play? scum or town
-how much experiance do you have?
-would you say real life mafia is better or forum based mafia?
-Town. I like to be on the majority's side, even if we end up doing really badly.
-I have completed one game before, as scum. There are two other games I was playing but had to drop out of for real life reasons. Those games are still going on so I'm not going to risk saying what I was in them (even though they are on another site). I'm also currently in another game.
-I never played real life mafia before, but I would like to.

vote SilentoBoborachi

Also don't worry guys I'm going to get an avatar soon.

Cause he's silent, and I hate silent players.
Exemption
Exemption
Goon
Exemption
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Post by Exemption »

Llamarble wrote: Now onto accusations!
Misrepresentation is a known scumtell. Smash misrepresented the gender of our IC in post 4. Therefore,
Vote: Smash
ahh thats interesting, i always thought scum would concentrate more on that sort of thing.
It could be the extra pressure I suppose though.

@Sword dancer: haha i think most players do
Show

Side/Wins/Losses
Town/1/0

Scum/1/0

SK/0/0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”