Talking in code...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:16 pm

Post by Cadmium »

There are other examples where codes might work:

In Aussie Mafia on the GL, I was a role name investigator. One night, I found out that a player was one of the Beegees. This was unknown to the mafia and the rest of the town (excluding the mason). I posted something like: "Who could you be? Gee!!". Not even the masons themselves got this until we all had to claim and I refered to that post. It proved that I knew his role.

I didn't say
might work
for nothing. In the above example, I could have been a mafia spy too. Others have said it before, it's not just the town who can leave messages. And mafia are looking harder for it too. And that's exactly the reason why the town might not believe you either.
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Malaprop
Malaprop
Goon
Malaprop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:12 am

Post by Malaprop »

Matcam -- one time pads, if not reused, have been proven to be unbreakable. Nature of the beast.

I can't say I like the idea of a game thread just being full of near-random strings of encrypted text. Dropping hints (as Cadmium just mentioned) is a good idea, little text hiding is OK, but breaking out the real crypto is no fun.
[size=84]gim sumun.bi shà-thir-ma u ba-rì[/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:19 am

Post by Norinel »

I've already mentioned one-time pads, but the only secure way to distribute the pads would be at night (In which case it's only good for masons, and after they're outed, as I said), or before the game, which would almost certainly be frowned upon.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:00 am

Post by mathcam »

Malaprop wrote:Matcam -- one time pads, if not reused, have been proven to be unbreakable. Nature of the beast.
Okay, fair enough, but this isn't really a cryptographic protocol. It, in turn, has its own drawbacks, as Norinel points out.

Cam
MMCL
MMCL
Lord of the Rings
MMCL
Lord of the Rings
Lord of the Rings

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:11 am

Post by MMCL »

How about the box with two locks approach...

I have a message I want to send to mathcam (for example) so I use my procedure to encode it... I then display it in my post... mathcam then takes the encoded text and encodes it using his own procedure. He then displays the result. I then decode his result and post the message a 2nd time...
All mathcam needs to do now is decode the message one last time and he has the original text...
mithy
mithy
mithy

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:35 pm

Post by mithy »

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not...

Back in one of the GL games (one of the newbie games, actually, now I think of it), I was a mason, and was of course quite vocal and such. We were getting close to an endgame, and all of the masons were still alive. I figured I would soon die, having been confirmed by a cop, so I came up with a very very random code scheme. Basically I coded the mason's names into bits of message, and posted them, sending the method of finding their names in them that night by email. That way, if I died, and one of them was close to being lynched, they could clear themselves without the others having to come out.

The Mafia could fake something, but then the masons would just come out and get him lynched, so it was pretty foolproof.

Of course, the Mafia never killed me, and we won easily. :)
Yoko Kurama
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Alarmist

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:33 pm

Post by Yoko Kurama »

jeep wrote:
Yoko, what if in ex 1 you had been killed? What if you had been followed by a Lassie type role? Then THAT person would be certain you were scum until you revealed the code, now you have exposed another investigator. There are just too many cases where that is bad.

-JEEP
Ex1 was a newbie game in which I was a claimed cop and the doc was alive my chances were very very good at not dying.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:29 pm

Post by mathcam »

MMCL wrote:How about the box with two locks approach...

I have a message I want to send to mathcam (for example) so I use my procedure to encode it... I then display it in my post... mathcam then takes the encoded text and encodes it using his own procedure. He then displays the result. I then decode his result and post the message a 2nd time...
All mathcam needs to do now is decode the message one last time and he has the original text...
Depending on how you choose to "encode" in this example, this is called the Diffie-Hellman key exchange, used prominently both with RSA and with Elliptic Curve Cryptography. This is a decent protocol, but it hinges on the difficulty of cracking the encoding. If I can brute force the cracking of your encryption, then it doesn't matter how fancy of a protocol you use.

Cam
Caesar K
Caesar K
Townie
Caesar K
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:11 pm

Post by Caesar K »

Lots of big words cam ={

I think we're pretty much assuming that, as long as a decent attempt is made, no one is going to crack the encryption. These aren't top-secret messages on which the fate of the world rests - it's just a game.

Thus MMCL brought this up as a simple solution for the problem of how to establish communication without a pre-discussed "code word" or "encryption key" or some such thing.

However, this "two locks" procedure depends on the encryption being commutative, does it not? I know very little about cryptography and so forth, but I imagine there exist some non-commutative encryptions, and so these would have to be avoided.

CK
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:42 am

Post by mathcam »

It does indeed necessitate commutativity, at least at first glance. There are non-commutative encryptions, but as you point out, these would need fancier protocols.

Cam
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 pm

Post by Cadmium »

mathcam wrote:It does indeed necessitate commutativity, at least at first glance. There are non-commutative encryptions, but as you point out, these would need fancier protocols.
I don't think I've ever seen this code before, math. What is it ;)?
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:53 am

Post by mathcam »

Hmm. I'm not sure if I'm being mocked or not.

Cam
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:24 pm

Post by Cadmium »

This would be the part where you say that my English sucks :).
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:07 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Your
english
sucks too.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:06 pm

Post by Cadmium »

PolarBoy, leave my girlfriend out of this, will ya :shock:!

But, yeah, that's what you get when you're not from
england
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:17 am

Post by mathcam »

Oh, now I get it. Some times...

Cam
MMCL
MMCL
Lord of the Rings
MMCL
Lord of the Rings
Lord of the Rings

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:23 am

Post by MMCL »

lol
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:18 pm

Post by Cadmium »

mathcam wrote:Oh, now I get it. Some times...
Just smack me when it gets out of control ;).
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:05 am

Post by halo freak »

very interesting guise in london and not to everyones surpirse it worked out alright flying dutchman. i thought it was very clever.
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

*smacks Cadmium with stick for fun*
- Phoebus
headstone
headstone
headstone

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:11 am

Post by headstone »

I know this would ruin the game, but townies could talk to eachother in code by using the
n
th word in the townie email as a key.
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:24 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

I will mod kill any player who tries that in a game I'm modding. I leave any game in which it is tolerated. I absolutely hate that type of tactics.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:40 am

Post by mathcam »

It's fairly clearly (though admittedly indirectly) modquoting, which is prohibited (and, as DP points out, punishable by modkill) in almost all games on the site.

Cam
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:19 am

Post by Cadmium »

Not to mention cracked within a couple of minutes ;).

Return to “Mafia Discussion”