Newbie 1769: Happy New Year! (Post-Game)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1450 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:42 am

Post by mattblackguy »

Schadd, and RC are the scum though so you can just lynch them.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1451 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:43 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

I asked BP to claim if they existed

they didn't claim

therefore doctor exists

therefore I'm alive tomorrow
deranged and incoherent
?
cassielle
cassielle
Mafia Scum
cassielle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1452 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:43 am

Post by cassielle »

creature? ? opinions? theories? funny jokes?
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1453 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:44 am

Post by mattblackguy »

In post 1449, Creature wrote:idk, if we mislynch today it's very unlikely Rask will track a kill (if he doesn't die before).
Actually not really it's 50/50 depending on which one of them does the kill.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1454 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:44 am

Post by Creature »

cassielle

mbg reminds me when I was going to be lynched at PYP 6.
Sigh
cassielle
cassielle
Mafia Scum
cassielle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1455 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:57 am

Post by cassielle »

i need to sleep, but i really do want to have those opinions to come back to. maybe you guys could give folks who come back, catch up and end up seeming to avoid the question or maybe forgetting/missing it a reminder that i really want an opinion there. i think this is critical in fact

@rask id like rc to put his schadd_ townread up too, so dont feel obligated to put this first. i think 1442 is more important but ill take whichever i can get from radiant tbh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1456 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 am

Post by Creature »

cassielle, are you aware of -Grey- and RadiantCowbells' skills?
Sigh
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1457 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 7, schadd_ wrote:ooh!

2. i like the people at dominion forum but part of the fun of mafia is making character judgments about people you don't know
3. thus far, i have been mafia twice and town once. at this point, i was happy to get town just because of that, but i also like town more because knowing everything is boring
4. i like target-investigative roles, the example here being tracker

UNVOTE: gigabyteTroubador, VOTE: ThinkBig
This was actually the biggest thing because the townclaim felt super genuine and not forced in.
His ThinkBig scumread was also the most dynamic and well explained of the people voting him and I found it super easy to figure out exactly what he was thinking throughout.
sure. claiming at L-1 on d1 is generally an accepted thing (i don't think anyone claimed before that in any of the three i played, except for v special occasions/being especially frustrated) and TB did that; he did it without reading, apparently, but also (implicitly) acknowledges in 150 that you generally need a reason to do it. this seems to me like he just decided ahead of time that he was gonna claim on L-2, which rings a bit scummy to me.
I think that Scum!Schadd in this situation would have jumped on the 'OMG CLAIM AT L-2' a lot harder but he took the time to try to look at the L-2 claim from TB's PoV and understand what he was thinking about that and that's not at all something that I would expect from newb!scum and is actually really good town play.
Like this entire post is about understanding TB's thought process which is super, super town.

Instead, why don't you tell me why Schadd is scum because I absolutely do not see it.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1458 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

In post 1443, cassielle wrote:whats everyones thoughts on
it's enough to not make me come back with only a naked vote on matt like i would have if he didn't post it, but it's not enough to townread him

matt's last few posts before that were enough to make my townread of him fall straight down a 90 degree incline (i wanted to hear what rask, who earlier said pretty assertively that matt was town, felt about it more specifically but they never got back to my question or my other ones but hey), his case was really underwhelming imo (dont feel it's mine to tear it apart), but what's making it tough is that it could just as likely be desperate town or scum

what's really interesting though is that matt seems to have a really distinct change in character today than from D1. he struck me as cautious, passive, and analytical (not in like a calculating or scummy way, just that he likes to think a bit more about what decisions he makes. that's why i asked if he was a notetaker earlier. i want to say he reminds me of (the player not the rapper) lil uzi vert but matt is less in-the-clouds i guess) but a move like this just doesn't really jibe with someone with a personality like that. head says that it's just a desperation attempt to get an obvious wagon off of him as scum but gut is telling me it's frustration from town

VOTE: mattblackguy

my gut tends to be really stupid however. this change in character doesn't feel natural

plus schadd_ isn't flipping scum ever

creature sticking to his guns is of note though for sure, if matt lynch does go through and flips red i wouldn't mind saying that my meta read was wrong here (hats off to creature though for pulling of literally his best scumgame to date if he's actually scum here)

also i can feel the snark about me in , is there a specific question/request that I missed? I'm going to start working on my schadd_ wall like now but if i missed a question i wouldn't mind answering

pedit: rc fuck i wanted to point it out :(

still gonna go more in-depth because i haven't done shit and i want to show that i can i guess

even if matt flips town i 100% am not lynching schadd_ ever btw
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #1459 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:05 pm

If Creature wasn't the scumbuddy, who would you think that it would be?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1460 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:10 pm

In post 1459, RadiantCowbells wrote:If Creature wasn't the scumbuddy, who would you think that it would be?
If I squint really hard maybe casielle? I haven't really re-read yet (i'm just getting back into my groove) but the line she had earlier where she didn't know that bussing early on was a really bad strategy in this specific set-up pinged me a bit that she could possibly be bussing herself. she's giving me mixed feelings now though (as in she's kind of towning it up) so i'm not super crazy about it

other than that no one else really strikes me as a plausible partner which is why i'd be ok going along with a creature lynch

grey's townread of me is really icky still but he's 100% not a mbg partner

i'm pretty sure you and schadd_ are town

so that basically leaves creature and casielle
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #1461 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I don't recall a town slot in the last year ever being pretty sure that I was town.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1462 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 1461, RadiantCowbells wrote:I don't recall a town slot in the last year ever being pretty sure that I was town.
Where did that scummy come from then?
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1463 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:13 pm

In post 1461, RadiantCowbells wrote:I don't recall a town slot in the last year ever being pretty sure that I was town.
it happens sometimes

i hated your entrance but that's really all i dislike about your slot and i can reconcile it as a difference in game theory. other than that we've basically been in the same headspace

shade was meh. meh isn't town or scum.

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #1464 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:16 pm

In post 1462, -Grey- wrote:
Smart play and assloads of emotional manipulation.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1465 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 1464, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 1462, -Grey- wrote:
Smart play and assloads of emotional manipulation.
Which... accomplished... what...?
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #1466 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Post by schadd_ »

wall

is a bit of an odd way to start an especially confident scumread, pinning it to someone else
In post 1375, Raskolnikov wrote:I wish I had actual meta on some of you guys
i posted my games [nervous anime face]
In post 1381, mattblackguy wrote: Schadd lies here
lol
In post 1381, mattblackguy wrote: his team mate would be a bad lynch, because he's active and trying to scumhunt when he only had 7 real posts, and most of those posts like contained basic questions about the game.
this is so obviously misleading; he had something like twice the word count as you at the era of 320, and only about 4 fewer posts, having replaced in. ditto for the latter part; you even used the word "contained"
In post 1381, mattblackguy wrote:Shade saw there was a ton of pressure on Schadd with him being at L-2, and had no idea how to react so he just flaked.
or, you know, maybe he couldn't keep up with the pace of the game and might try again when his current project finishes.

uh, the rest of the post is you describing how events happened under the assumption that we're scum. "he feels it gives him a bigger chance of winning" is especially hilarious because it's by definition true for either alignment

creature isn't really deflecting because no one really prodded him for anything. disengaged, though. and i think he has a lot of nai "i usually think" sorts of things as well as "this feels towny," which in excess reflects negatively on an experienced player as far as i've found
In post 1386, mattblackguy wrote:He dug himself in a hole saying that Schadd is obvious town and the only way out of it was to hammer ThinkBig.
is 20 minutes before the hammer. the assumption you're making is that he dipped in, impulsively townread his partner, then realized
aw crud that's a dumb idea
In post 1443, cassielle wrote:whats everyones thoughts on
kinda town in the obvious sense that scum only doesn't want to get lynched, but mbg probably knows that and i've put thought into doing the same thing when i was scum

holistic mbg read: reverse r kelly. that is to say, my mind is telling me yes but my body is telling me no. so, deciding both days that your reads are correct and you win, having them be completely different between, having one of the ones on d1 flipping town and one on d2 being me, sucks farts. but agh. there is a town thing behind it. see, both days he did it after we started to stall: d1 it was after we all townread each other & decided not to do anything until everyone had posted, toDay there isn't really anything waiting to happen and we've had a few irl days where nobody really posted. i can see town mbg wanting to get something going and dumping his livelihood into some reads that he has.

but agh. that doesn't really make sense given that he's willing to die for the reads. i mean, the case to me seems pretty obvious and i think that it's generally pretty weak (not gonna put words in people's mouths but i get the impression that's the consensus) and mbg seems savvy enough to notice that. so maybe there's
my thoughts on v2
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1467 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Spoiler: this was going to be like a full iso but i got bored of repeating myself/making vague commentary so this doesn't really go that far into D1 but my opinion hasn't changed much
In post 7, schadd_ wrote:ooh!

2. i like the people at dominion forum but part of the fun of mafia is making character judgments about people you don't know
3. thus far, i have been mafia twice and town once. at this point, i was happy to get town just because of that, but i also like town more because knowing everything is boring
4. i like target-investigative roles, the example here being tracker

UNVOTE: gigabyteTroubador, VOTE: ThinkBig
basically my thoughts on this post were exactly the same as RC's, but i also liked the fact that he changed his vote so quickly during RVS. the implication here is that he's scumhunting... since scum already know everyone's alignment there isn't really a point to changing your vote so early into the game because there's ultimately no difference between voting for one town vs. another, but doing so at the time just felt really natural
In post 53, schadd_ wrote:how often does the IC get nightkilled, if town? intuitively, they will be the best target for killing a strong town player but also they ought to be kept around, from an etiquette standpoint
if i'm remembering casielle you found this question really scummy?

i asked basically the same thing in my newbie game and i was town, i don't see it as alignment indicative
In post 112, schadd_ wrote:i've been reading the thread. i don't really trust my townreads, esp. d1 (my first and only town game was a flawless scum victory) so i don't have anything really interesting to say. rn i think creature is town, GBT is kinda town
the paranoia here doesn't really feel hamfisted or fake
In post 120, schadd_ wrote:i thought it was implicit in:
In post 9, gigabyteTroubadour wrote: 4. wouldnt you like to know :dead: :dead: :dead:

VOTE: ThinkBig
i was actually kind of shocked he picked up the implication here because it was kind of a subconscious thing for me when i was typing. looking back i guess it's kind of obvious but making catches like this (read it in context, we're discussing the rolefishing aspect in question 4) shows that he's reading the game from an uninformed lens and is actively looking for AI content

read in and the whole bit about TB's claim being calculated was more town paranoia/analysis

i doubt scum would claim that they think a roleclaim they know is genuine to be scummy, but even if so the logic behind the analysis adds up. again, really natural thought process that i think is hard for newbie scum to fake

townread of me is also super town, the display of paranoia and the kind of... not abstract but i guess not content-related aspect/guttiness of the read is town.

the sassiness in and comes more often from town, though that as a tell/reason to read someone is less effective with experience imo. i think schadd_ is new enough for it to be a town indicator.

just oozes town, especially the parts around me. dunno how else to word this but this is a town post.

just in general i think his responses to casielle both D1 and D2 were town and basically echoed a lot of thoughts i had/i agreed with. in my head i find myself snapping my fingers every time schadd_ posts a counterargument to someone.

i'm kind of at the point where i feel like i'm just pointing to posts in his iso and saying "THIS IS A TOWN POST" so i'll just end the spoiler here.. getting bored and a summary might be more helpful

schadd_'s thought process is really transparent and natural, he makes a lot of good observations that show he's thinking from an uninformed perspective, expresses paranoia in a genuine/comedic way that doesn't feel like he's just throwing
schadd_
shade, makes good arguments that actually add up...

basically it

seconded that i would like to hear another scum!schadd_ case

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1468 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 pm

In post 1466, schadd_ wrote:creature isn't really deflecting because no one really prodded him for anything. disengaged, though. and i think he has a lot of nai "i usually think" sorts of things as well as "this feels towny," which in excess reflects negatively on an experienced player as far as i've found
gonna say that that's just a creature thing

if you want to see what disengaged/scum creature looks like though i'd recommend reading bee movie mafia which i linked earlier. super short read it's basically me just spamposting for 10 pages and then dying after strongarming a creature lynch

game started simultaneously with this one basically so idk if that impacts how creature has been playing around me now that i think about it again

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1469 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:48 pm

In post 1312, mattblackguy wrote:Giga, isn't Grey like conf scum now?
i can't townread this post

i've tried

i just can't.

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1470 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Post by schadd_ »

having read a small amount of bee movie mafia just now i think there might be a very small chance that it doesn't count for fuckall
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1471 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by schadd_ »

also shit you mentioned the thing at the hecking beginning of that game too
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1472 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Post by schadd_ »

...but that is a creamy-ass
p
-value
free darius mccollum

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1473 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm

so you think creature is playing around my scumread of him in that game?

hm...

i should really finish wave (i think creature's only scum win where he doesn't get lynched/carries his team)

ugh i am not in a reading mood i spent like half of my motivation doing that iso and i couldn't even finish it @__@

how long have i been useless btw? like 9ish days right
schadd_ wrote:also shit you mentioned the thing at the hecking beginning of that game too
yeah i guess

:dead:

at the time i doubted that creature would be able to manipulate his meta but i guess i could be proven wrong??

everything is just screaming at me to reread but @___@
schadd_ wrote:...but that is a creamy-ass
p
-value
i can do a statistically accurate test to show that post count is alignment indicative for him btw (i think it's like a p value of .002 of it not being AI)

but i can't calculate the probability he's town

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1474 (ISO) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:55 pm

to be fair creature does joke a lot about his post count being AI for him to the point it's a trust tell

so bringing it up... idk... probably doesn't mean much if you just mean that?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”