Pokemon: GO

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #400 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:17 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I don't think it's worth me going out in the rain to get more pokeballs, regardless of the amount I collect I always seem to need more.
Basically any time I go over 20 I require at least 10 throws to catch the next Pokémon I see and the rest of them follow soon after.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #401 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:27 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 399, Psyche wrote:i miss the strategy
none of the game is very thinkful
Idk the regular pokemon games suffer from being too easy.

Like, if I have the ability to build any team I want, I'm going to:

1) Always have Starmie if a Staryu can be caught anywhere in the game.
2) If I'm playing with an emulator and Impossible Evos or if I have a 2nd game, always going for Gengar as well if it's possible
3) The rest doesn't really matter that much.

So I only Nuzlocke at this point, and the only game where I've ever failed a Nuzlocke is Emerald.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #402 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:28 am

Post by BROseidon »

And after gen 2, I've always just gone straight to Nuzlocking.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #403 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:02 am

Post by Psyche »

did you beat the battle frontier
You can't step in the same river twice.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #404 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:14 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 396, Natirasha wrote:I think the skinner box of evolution is what's pushing me away from this game. Like, I get that they need 'the treadmill', but 125 candies to evolve a three-stage pokemon is lunacy.
the grind you have to do to get to "the fun part" of the game is pretty brutal imo
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #405 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:00 pm

Post by Marquis »

so instead of fixing the bug where all pokemon would appear to be 3 steps away,

they removed step counts entirely

niantic is so dumb. i am like. shocked by how disconnected they seem to be
link in bio
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #406 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Post by Marquis »

i mean it's smart if they're trying to get players to rely on lure and incense items for pokemon but

there are so many easy/simple steps they could take to make the game better and they're. taking steps in the opposite direction
link in bio
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #407 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 405, Marquis wrote:so instead of fixing the bug where all pokemon would appear to be 3 steps away,

??? These are literally the same thing though. You don't know either way.

Let's hope they're figuring out a way to reimplement it tho or I'll agree it's dumb
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #408 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:24 pm

Post by Psyche »

because of niantic this will just be a fad
You can't step in the same river twice.
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #409 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Post by Marquis »

you'd think they'd have learned something from ingress

fading away seems to be their specialty
link in bio
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #410 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:57 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

We can at least customise characters again. Why they bothered to introduce new outfits and such is rather weird though when there were better things.

But it's easy enough to know where and when Pokémon spawn near you even with pokevision. The only benefit I would have got was discovering the kabuto was not where I was hoping it was the two times I've seen in pop up at the time of the hour.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #411 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:07 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

The footprints are being fixed, I just hope it's soon
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #412 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 398, Papa Zito wrote:It's not, no. I miss the concept of training something up. Here you just constantly find better stuff in the wild, training anything doesn't make sense
Maybe at later levels it will but not for the first 20 for sure.
The information I've read is that is that max player level is 40, and pokemon levels is either 2x player level or half-levels up to your player level. So, pokemon you get from eggs, their max level caps out at 20. So once you're player level 20 you can start getting the highest level pokemon you can ever get out of eggs no matter how much you level up from there. For wild pokemon, the max level is 30, so again, once you reach level 30 you'll start being able to catch the highest level pokemons you'll ever be able to.

So yeah, it's not really ideal to spend any dust because until you reach level 30 you can always catch a higher level pokemon. or you might hatch something from an egg at level 20 that you don't catch in your area (or not enough to evolve, anyways). but after you're above that player level, if you want to have stronger pokemon you do have to start "training" or powering up then.
In post 405, Marquis wrote:so instead of fixing the bug where all pokemon would appear to be 3 steps away,

so so dumb... and the worst part is the when the games creator did that interview and complained about people using pokevision, as if the only reason people are using it isn't that they intentionally deactivated the only means by which to track the pokemon from within the game :igmeou:
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #413 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:16 am

Post by Jahudo »

And they got pokevision to shut down today. Were there any other sites that showed tracking?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #414 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:06 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think there was Poke Radar, but I think Niantic went after that, too.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #415 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:23 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Well, I'm still really enjoying it, and I'm glad that it's different from the console versions. Pretty much every aspect of the game forces me to get out and about more than I did before, which makes me feel good about playing it, rather than guilty.

I guess the main driving force for me is hatching eggs, because it's a reliable way to get the missing pokemon for my pokedex. But to hatch eggs I need incubators, and to get those I take gyms. We've been averaging 3+ gyms per day for the past couple of weeks.

Also an element of the game that is not really pay-to-win is tackling gyms, since you can't buy potions from the store. The main limiting element for us has been number of potions, which just means more trips to pokestops, which means more walking. All in all, playing the game makes me happy.

Spoiler: my badge collection, 10 days ago and today
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #416 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:27 am

Post by zoraster »

I find battling in gyms to be the most singularly boring aspect of it, which is really disappointing.
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #417 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:28 am

Post by UpTooLate »

There needs to be more to battling than just tapping your screen until the other one is dead.
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #418 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:30 am

Post by Glork »

Agreed, gym battles as they are now are just massively repetitive.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #419 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:37 am

Post by Fenchurch »

See, I'm pretty sure I found battling in the console games just as repetitive, and slow. And there is still a challenge in choosing the right pokemon to gain worthwhile prestige and still win (especially when you are low on potions). But to me the main point, in this game, is being there; it's about having to spend your time travelling from gym to gym, doing it every day.

Battles are also a bit more balanced with today's update which has averaged out the DPS, so type advantages are a bit more meaningful and you can't just win everything with a Vaporeon.
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #420 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:39 am

Post by UpTooLate »

In post 419, Fenchurch wrote:and you can't just win everything with a Vaporeon.

RIP my vaporeon =(
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #421 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:22 pm

Post by PJ. »

Some girl walked in front of my car last night while playing go, and shined her stupid flashlight in my eyes. I almost killed her. #pokerage

Bad game please go away.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #422 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm

Post by Brandi »

In post 419, Fenchurch wrote:See, I'm pretty sure I found battling in the console games just as repetitive, and slow. And there is still a challenge in choosing the right pokemon to gain worthwhile prestige and still win (especially when you are low on potions). But to me the main point, in this game, is being there; it's about having to spend your time travelling from gym to gym, doing it every day.

Battles are also a bit more balanced with today's update which has averaged out the DPS, so type advantages are a bit more meaningful and you can't just win everything with a Vaporeon.
Gotta agree with the first point made here, Pokemon's battle mechanics have always been lackluster. At least with the battle system in GO, if you're good enough you could theoretically never take damage. Which is kind of a cool challenge in itself. But I don't feel like the main focus on this game is battling anyway, and I doubt most people spend their GO time at gyms. At least, no one I know really bothers with them unless they know they can quickly get a mon in for the 10g.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #423 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 422, Brandi wrote:At least, no one I know really bothers with them unless they know they can quickly get a mon in for the 10g.
went for a walk yesterday and found a gym for my team with a slot open. Tossed in a junk pokemon and then collected my reward. So far that's the only time I've interacted with a gym. I sent another junk pokemon up against the vaporeon someone had stashed there just to see how the whole battle thing worked. Didn't end well for the poor pidgeotto...
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #424 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:55 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

That basically what I do each time, although I decided to take over the gym once, but only because someone was nice and left a junk pokemon there, and a few other times I've decided to battle randomly.

I have also prestiged up the gym for a team mate on a lower level to get a pokemon in since my pokemon have gotten to a high enough level to be competitive (I think it was when my trainer level got to ~15) and prestiged up up for myself while waiting for a train, although sadly I got kicked out of that gym before I got home and my got the reward though :(
I'm yet to actually defeat any of my own pokemon I've placed in gyms.

Return to “The Arcade”