[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8525 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Post by Karnage »

In post 8523, pisskop wrote:
This sounds like it could be an open game. Would also be able to be run as a theme.

Thanks. I need to take this to the Open Setup Review thread.
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8526 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Post by Karnage »

In post 8525, Karnage wrote:
In post 8523, pisskop wrote:
This sounds like it could be an open game. Would also be able to be run as a theme.

Thanks. I need to take this to the Open Setup Review thread.

Nevermind, looks like I need people to show enough interest in the setup before it can go there.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8527 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 8520, Karnage wrote:I had posted this setup idea a while back but I think this is a much stronger version:

Docs and Blocks Mafia

• Mafia begins with THREE Mafia Goons
  • Town begins with SEVEN Vanilla Townies
  • Town is guaranteed to have THREE VT’s upgraded to a either a Doctor or a Roleblocker (2 of one, 1 one of the other)
  • During pre-game, Mafia have 72 hours to upgrade up to TWO goons to 1-Shot Strongman. They may choose not to upgrade any.
  • For each goon upgraded, TWO additional VTs will be upgraded to either a Doctor or a Roleblocker. (must be one of each)
  • During pre-game, ALL Town players will receive Vanilla Townie role PMs. Once the Mafia has decided how many goons to upgrade, power role PM’s will be sent out.
  • Town will not be notified how many goons the Mafia chose to upgrade.

Mod would "flip a coin" to decide if its 2 Docs and 1 RB or 1 Doc and 2 RBs to start. Town is guaranteed 1-4 Docs, 1-4 RBs and could have 0-4 VT's

I suspect this is highly scumsided at the moment. If I'm making a 7:3 nightless setup, I typically give an advantage to town to compensate for their numerical disadvantage, i.e. I think 7:3 mountainous nightless is scumsided. Town's abilities here are entirely kill-stopping, thus they're in a worse position than they would be in a 7:3 mountainous nightless; Mafia could no-kill every night and still have the advantage in the setup, and they get a further advantage from the possibility that they might get a kill.

A separate problem is that town gain basically no information from a successful kill; if Mafia upgrade two goons, then that gives them two kills that town can't stop, and town have no way to know who made them via night actions. This means that by day 3, after two mislynches, Mafia will have won (lynch + kill + lynch + kill = 4 dead townies, now it's 3:3). So in the two-upgrades situation, town's power roles are actually entirely pointless unless they manage to lynch scum blind on day 1 or 2. This can happen but it's rare (less than 50% in my experience).

If I wanted to give this a shot which (if any) queue could I try it in?

Mini Theme would be easiest, given the rather abNormal mechanics; you could probably spin a bunch of flavour around it.

Open would also be possible but you'd need to pass a review in the Open Setup Reviews thread first, and I'm not sure it'd pass like that.

To be honest, I think it's worth seeing if you can rebalance the game to work as a 7:2 or 6:2 and make it a micro. Come to think of it, the setup as listed might well be scumsided even at 7:2 (if scum upgrade both goons, the town need to lynch correctly with no help from power roles on day 1, 2, or 3 to avoid losing, and the only information they'll have from claims is that the scum probably won't both claim the same thing). I don't think it's hugely off-balance as a 7:2, although the details might well need tweaking.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8528 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Post by Karnage »

those are great points. thanks. I'll see if I can rework it
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8529 (ISO) » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 am

Post by Karnage »

@callforjudgement, what if I make it 2 mafia vs 7 town. 4 townies are randomly assigned to be a doctor or a roleblocker (can be 4 docs and no blocks, 4 blocks and no docs, or anywhere in between). mafia will be told how many of each to give them options for fake claiming.

mafia can upgrade one goon to 1 shot strongman but then town gains a cop.

I guess the biggest problem is when I though of this I was thinking about how funny it would be to see town blocking themselves thus preventing block or doc that would have stopped a kill so perhaps its inherently scum-sided
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8530 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:21 am

I haven't thought about it in detail, but have a feeling that the new setup is townsided (I am far from certain, though). Perhaps it isn't, on the basis that if a kill doesn't go through, it's likely to be highly unclear why. I can see town trying to attempt a breaking strategy involving cross-protection, but there's enough uncertainty in the setup that I'd expect the attempt to fail.
scum
town
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8531 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:54 am

Post by RedCoyote »

That's The One!
2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Roleblocker

VS
1 Bodyguard
9 VTs

• Bodyguard and Roleblocker may use their powers every night.
  • At the end of the each day phase, one VT is selected at random to be "The One".
  • All votes are nullified except for The One, whomever The One is voting is lynched.

I love the risk/reward with a BG that pretty much knows where to protect every night. The question isn't which player to protect, but
if
they should protect. Additionally, the RB adds a slight twist of potential advantage to the scum team while not really disadvantaging the town. That said, the BG is really the star of the show. Usually a BG is nothing but cannon fodder in most setups, so trying to remove that was what I was going for.

Yes, the player that becomes The One effectively becomes an IC.
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8532 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:02 am

Post by pisskop »

So every day somebody is confirmed (VT) town. And the BG has to decide whom to keep? Its shoehorning scum into restrictive kills.

Additionally, can the same VT get 'The Oned' twice? And a single bad roll of the dice will undo a lot of work from the scum.

What if a single
Vanilla
player got 'Oned'. Goon or VT. Instead of confirming them town, confirm their vanilla status.
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8533 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:51 am

Post by RedCoyote »

BG doesn't have to. He may. I also don't think it necessarily restricts the scum because it may confirm a VT that is actively hurting the town, you know? And in such a scenario the scum may decide to leave that person alive. Or maybe that VT is right on and the scum still decides to leave them alive to cause WIFOM. etc

Yes, a VT could theoretically be The One twice.

You think maybe give the town additional power? Or maybe just do The One thing for the first day phase or two?
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8534 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Cowboys and Mafia

12 Players

1 Mafia Quickfoot
1 Mafia Sabateur
2 Mafia Goons

1 Town Sabateur
7 Vanilla Townies

• There are no lynches.
  • Instead after each day the mafia submit a turn order for the players.
  • The list is publicly posted
  • Each day everyone can perform one action:
    Shoot
    or
    Dodge

• The Quickfoot may perform two. These may both be done on his turn, or one may be done at the end of the round (Not both). If he does not wish to action again, he must simply private message the mod "No Action." If he shoots at the end it must be public.
  • On a player's turn, they either
    Shoot: PLAYER
    or
    No Action
  • Once a player is shot, if they have an action they may choose to
    Dodge
    . If they don't want to Dodge, they simply type
    No Action
  • A shot player who doesn't dodge and who was shot with a functional gun will die.
  • The Sabateur submits a player name to the mod after every day. That player's gun will fail to shoot the following day.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8535 (ISO) » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 am

If the scum just simply dodge every day, is there any way to get rid of them?
scum
town
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8536 (ISO) » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 8535, callforjudgement wrote:If the scum just simply dodge every day, is there any way to get rid of them?

If multiple people shoot them. They can only use one action per day, sans the quickfoot.

Quickfoot might be a bit broken though. Might be cleaner just to get rid of him.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #8537 (ISO) » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:53 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

cowboys and cowards

both the quickfoot and the sabbaticaliteurs detract from the core idea imo
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8538 (ISO) » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:06 am

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 8536, BBmolla wrote:
In post 8535, callforjudgement wrote:If the scum just simply dodge every day, is there any way to get rid of them?

If multiple people shoot them. They can only use one action per day, sans the quickfoot.

Quickfoot might be a bit broken though. Might be cleaner just to get rid of him.

Quickfoot isn't broken unless he can privately dodge, as if he dodge's twice in thread, then he is clearly the quickfoot.

(This is assuming it's "his turn" when he is shot at)

If he can dodge in private and it works like a sabotaged gun, then he'd be fairly well hidden.

However after a certain point, this game becomes unwinnable.

First off assuming the quickfoot doesn't die Mafia have to be winning at 5 players (quickshot can shoot twice, meaning he is essentially a 5th person, and 5v5 becomes shoot and dodge on both sides.)

And also it's so much easier for town to be killed then it is for Mafia to be killed (because Mafia submit the list, they more or less have a huge amount of control over who actually gets to shoot.)

I feel like this is fairly scum sided.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8539 (ISO) » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:20 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 8537, Bicephalous Bob wrote:cowboys and cowards

I guess with sabs I was trying to come up with a way for a player to choose not to dodge

And then quick foot to rid of any obvious town.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8540 (ISO) » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:22 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 8537, Bicephalous Bob wrote:cowboys and cowards

In regards to the Cowboys and cowards part, is that a name suggestion? Cause it's better than mine.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8541 (ISO) » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:29 am

Post by BBmolla »

Let's simplify it for now.

Cowboys and Cowards

12 Players

4 Mafia Goons

8 Vanilla Townies

• There are no lynches.
  • Pregame, the Mafia determines a turn order list.
  • Every player who dies submits a new turn order list upon death. The new list is the one submitted by the last person to die in a day. It will be posted and take effect in the following day.
    Shoot
    or
    Dodge

or
    No Action
  • Players have 24 hours to choose an action before it defaults to
    No Action
  • Once a player is shot, if they have an action they may choose to
    Dodge
    . If they don't want to Dodge, they simply type
    No Action
    . Players have 24 hours to choose a response before it defaults to
    No Action
  • A shot player who doesn't dodge will die.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8542 (ISO) » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:54 am

In post 8539, BBmolla wrote:I guess with sabs I was trying to come up with a way for a player to choose not to dodge

maybe allow people to shoot when they're shot? like:

Cowboys and Cowards

12 Players

4 Mafia Goons

8 Vanilla Townies

• There are no lynches.
  • Pregame, the Mafia determines a turn order list.
  • Every player who dies submits a new turn order list upon death. The new list is the one submitted by the last person to die in a day. It will be posted and take effect in the following day.
    Shoot
    or
    Dodge

or
    No Action
  • Players have 24 hours to choose an action before it defaults to
    No Action
  • If a shot player has yet to use their action, they will jump to the next spot on the turn order list, giving them 24 hours to choose a response before it defaults to
    No Action
  • A shot player whose turn is over and who didn't dodge will die, as well as any player who is shot twice in one day.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8543 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Ooh. Yes I like that.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8544 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Post by BBmolla »

BUT

You need to make it so that Mafia can only Dodge in response. Otherwise they all have a vengekill. Which is debateably broken.

Edit: It works fine because if a person "confirms" themselves as town by shooting in response, they're dead anyway.
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8545 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:28 am

Post by Sméagol »

I'm in the queue for a mini, but I think I'd also like to run a micro, but haven't decided what set-up I want to use..

Are people interested in the following set-up, which I ran off-site (but with people who are not nearly as hardcore as people here are):

High risk, high reward

- Mountainous, no individual roles.
- Everyone, including mafia, is a (unrestricted) vigilante.
- The mafia are not in a team. They have the same win condition, but don't know eachother, and can't communicate.
- Voting as usual.
- For a micro I'd probably go 6-3 (it's more difficult for the mafia), and 5-2 day- night cycles, although I have no preference for the latter.

The idea is that the mafia have more opportunities to kill townies off, but on the other hand also risk killing eachother off. All players need to scumhunt, but with different motivations..
Was considering this for a marathon weekend, but I was wondering if there was any interest to run this as a micro. I think it works better with more people (a night 1 game over is a serious possibility), but outside of marathon, I think I'll start small while gaging interest. Otherwise I'll look at my other ideas.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
: none
/
running
/
coming up
: large normal (18p) / micro theme (9)
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8546 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:46 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

- Everyone, including mafia, is a (unrestricted) vigilante.

you should probably clarify this because sooner or later someone's gonna try to vig everyone. :P
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8547 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:53 am

Post by Sméagol »

I believe with similar games like this people here are inclined to limit the shots. They aren't limited, everyone can shoot every night, they have to decide each night if their reads are strong enough to act upon.. Hence the title.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
: large normal (18p) / micro theme (9)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #8548 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

The Blind Leading The Blind2 Mafia Goons
1 Town Supersaint
1 Town 1-Shot Vigilante
5 Vanilla Townies

All town-aligned players know who the Supersaint is (or maybe not the vig if this is too townsided).
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8549 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:22 pm

all townies crumb the identity of the supersaint in their first few posts, someone is appointed to claim the SS's identity (if they fail they're lynched)

then all players out their crumbs

everyone without a credible crumb gets lynched

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”