ChronX
ChronX
Goon
ChronX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 am

Post by ChronX »

I welcome CKD pointing by post number to a post with content from himself. Exhorting others to make a case for him to follow does not count in my book.

I present myself as more town than CKD on the grounds that I have advanced 3 theories, the first on d3sisted which wasn't much but I pointed to some facts. I consider that a transition out of random voting considering the state of the game at that point. I made some points, but also felt an obligation to vote something, as this is a speed game. The second was a move to BM, which he challenged my logic and when I took in how he is playing in another game, it does seem consistent if not necessarily protown the way he is playing. I have made a case on CKD with facts. You may not like or agree with the logic but I am
quite
specific with 2 of the three instances. Its a lot more to go on than "looks more town than you, truth to tell".
Effectively done with MS
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:02 am

Post by Gorgon »

ChronX wrote:You may not like or agree with the logic but I am
quite
specific with 2 of the three instances. Its a lot more to go on than "looks more town than you, truth to tell".
Mind you, I'm not saying you're necessarily scummy. I'm just saying that I agree more with cdk's logic and ideas than yours ... so perhaps 'town' was the wrong word to use, when what I was really saying that to me, cdk's ideas seem more helpful than yours.
ChronX
ChronX
Goon
ChronX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:07 am

Post by ChronX »

Fair enough. I am still trying to fit my game style from prior site into the culture here, which is somewhat different.
Effectively done with MS
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:20 am

Post by Gorgon »

Heh. I'm pretty much a newbie to Mafia in general, and words are flying fast and loose here - which I guess is exactly what we were waiting for. Just don't be surprised if I get a little carried away in these conditions.

Now that I think about it, ckd hasn't really answered why he chose Sonicpulsar over guys like Mr.PiGG and d3sisted when he came up with his lurker theory ... it is admittedly a weak point in his rhetoric.
Hang 'em High
Hang 'em High
Goon
Hang 'em High
Goon
Goon

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:35 am

Post by Hang 'em High »

Personally, I think the "scum are lurkers" theory holds promise. I just don't see any reason for the scum to expose themselves by saying anything that might draw attention. The problem is there are many possible reasons someone might lurk, only one of which is that they're scum. Just because someone is lurking doesn't mean they are scum, but it does make them a more likely suspect.

On the flip side of the coin, if someone is putting themself out there and actively trying to extract information, I think they're more likely to be town. For day one I think I'm going to give a pass to the players who seem to be digging for information and focus on the lurkers. I suspect a couple of the scum are in that group, so I'm going to look through and pick one of them for my vote. The problem with picking a lurker is there just isn't much to go on. Still, I think that's our best course of action and if nothing else it may get them to start talking more.
There are two types of people in the world -- those who divide people into types and those who don't.

Note: I've got LA on weekends and in the evening.
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:43 am

Post by Gorgon »

Okay, I'm ready to vote again. If the next bandwagon is going to be an anti-lurker wagon, it makes sense to add to the vote that's already out there.

Vote: Sonicpulsar
distad
distad
Goon
distad
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:20 am

Post by distad »

Hang 'em High wrote:Personally, I think the "scum are lurkers" theory holds promise. I just don't see any reason for the scum to expose themselves by saying anything that might draw attention. The problem is there are many possible reasons someone might lurk, only one of which is that they're scum. Just because someone is lurking doesn't mean they are scum, but it does make them a more likely suspect.

On the flip side of the coin, if someone is putting themself out there and actively trying to extract information, I think they're more likely to be town. For day one I think I'm going to give a pass to the players who seem to be digging for information and focus on the lurkers. I suspect a couple of the scum are in that group, so I'm going to look through and pick one of them for my vote. The problem with picking a lurker is there just isn't much to go on. Still, I think that's our best course of action and if nothing else it may get them to start talking more.
I agree with most of this. There is another problem with picking a lurker... often, they don't respond. It is usually really difficult to get a solid response out of a lurker and without much of a defense it is even harder to gain an edge/read.

We are running out of time, though.

I also agree with an SP wagon to get him going, but at least he has been someone reponsive in this game. Where are the other offenders?
Hang 'em High
Hang 'em High
Goon
Hang 'em High
Goon
Goon

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:52 am

Post by Hang 'em High »

It definitely isn't much, but based on this:
Sonicpulsar wrote:I'll never underestimate the lurking tendencies of those who want to stay alive most (power roles and scum).
and this:
Sonicpulsar wrote:Scum/Power Roles: More inclined to lurk. They don't want to put themselves out there too much for fear of screwing up or saying something stupid.
I'm going to:

Unvote: Battle Mage

I think we've got to pick a lurker to threaten and since two people have already picked SP, I'll go along. Besides, he told us scum and power roles lurk -- and he's lurking.
There are two types of people in the world -- those who divide people into types and those who don't.

Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:20 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Unvote

I'm now torn between pouncing on Gorgon for his post 230, and following ChronX onto a CKD wagon.
How long do we have till deadline?
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:34 am

Post by Gorgon »

Battle Mage wrote:I'm now torn between pouncing on Gorgon for his post 230 ...
If you're gonna pounce, pounce. Please do explain what you find suspicious about that move. I already said I was interested in a wagon on a lurker, and I joined one. I got tired of waiting for other people to show up and decided to vote.

I find it interesting that you should single me out for this instead of, oh, HeH.
Battle Mage wrote:How long do we have till deadline?
Day 1 Deadline = Thursday 20th September - 10PM uk time, which equates to about 5PM Eastern US time
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 am

Post by Gorgon »

At this point, I'd love to hear from the following people about the following things ... but shock and horror, they're not here right now:

ckd
- Why did you pick Sonicpulsar over the other lurkers?

BM
- See my post above. Also, I would like to hear your own case against ckd; you seem to be just following ChronX blindly here, at least judging from what you've said.

People like Atticus, Raffles, d3sisted, Sonicpulsar, MR.PiGG, Raffles ... heck, I'd be happy just to see anything from them at this point.

Also, I actually went back to look at ChronX's post 152, and he has some good points against d3sisted. It's a pity I missed it before - as I truly did. Looks like everyone else did, too - that case kind of just died. I note that d3sisted didn't even reply to those accusations. Although ChronX's other theories seem a little off, that one strikes me as plausible.

d3sisted
has
been lurking in plain sight, especially these past few days. And he also
has
been overly defensive. He deserves further scrutiny.

I'm therefore going to go with my gut and not join some random wagon, but to vote for a lurker who has actually popped up as suspicious in my mind. Funnily enough, this way I'm combining elements from ChronX's and ckd's theories - isn't that just dandy?

Unvote

Vote: d3sisted

Happy with that, BM?
Sonicpulsar
Sonicpulsar
Goon
Sonicpulsar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by Sonicpulsar »

Yowsers. So I went on a mini-vacation with my parents (Lake of the Ozarks) where we were supposed to have wireless internet access that was really "come to the office where we have a 10 ft wireless range and you have to be outside." Thus, I couldn't really post since Friday night, I apologize.

As to the pressure, whatever. Various people have been lurking at various times. I lurked thru most of the first part of this game (first 7 pages or so) because there was fairly useless meta-gaming going on. While I admire the work some people put into it, I don't think we'll garner much from it, particularly with BM's style of play.

My first instinct is to vote for CKD for his fairly illogical reasons for voting for me, but I don't wanna OMGUS vote him. But I'll go ahead and say right now, I don't like his style of play.

I'll hold off on voting to see how people respond to the fact that I'm was lurking on purpose. We have ~3 days to come to a decision.
"Truth and Falsehood were bathing. Falsehood came out of the water first and dressed herself in Truth's clothes. Truth, unwilling to put on the garments of Falsehood, went naked." - Unknown
d3sisted
d3sisted
Mafia Scum
d3sisted
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Post by d3sisted »

Hang 'em High wrote:Start with the assumption that I'm town -- which I know is the case but the rest of the town won't unless I'm killed. Since I'm in obvious danger, anybody who tries to deflect my lynch is most likely not scum since scum would certainly not say anything that might derail the bandwagon against me (an innocent townie). If I get lynched, you'll see that I was town and I ask you to remember the following. On 9/13 curiouskarmadog labeled his top two suspects as me and d3sisted:
curiouskarmadog wrote:We need to get discussion started…(again) maybe we should discuss if we had to vote today who would it be for. Since it is my suggestion, I will go first.

Top two:

If I had to vote..it would be on HeH…I think so far he has posted two stretchy scum theories to see if anyone will bite on them. I think the BM theory is more plausible than the d3sisted’s…. again, this is a weak case, but I have nothing to go on.

Next would be d3sisted. I think that anyone who is lurkerish might be scum trying to hang low. By my count, he has not posted much content in about 2 weeks. Again weak by itself…
After that post the major event was the bandwagon on me that has reached L-2. How does he respond when his top suspect is in danger of being lynched? By voting for sonicpulsar with this post on 9/17:
curiouskarmadog wrote:as I am not sold on either HeH or BM's wagons yet (they both seem stretchy to me) I need to look for something else.

vote sonicpulsar
Since I know I'm town, I'm pretty much clearing CKD based on the logic at the top of this post. Now I know this only holds water if I'm town (which only I know is the case now), but if I get lynched or NKed remember this when I come up town -- if CKD was scum I don't see any reason he would have moved away from me when I was the top lynch suspect.

What I don't understand is why he's turned away from me (and to a lesser extent d3sisted); I don't think anything happened between his post on the 13th and his post on the 17th that would have changed his opinion like that. So,

@curiouskarmadog: Why did you name me and d3sisted as your top suspects and then vote for sonicpulsar?
Two words: Bussing scumbuddy.
This. Is. [color=red][b]SPARTA![/b][/color]

[color=red][b][i]V/LA Dec 22 - Jan 4[/i][/b][/color]
d3sisted
d3sisted
Mafia Scum
d3sisted
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Post by d3sisted »

Mod: we need a votecount please.
This. Is. [color=red][b]SPARTA![/b][/color]

[color=red][b][i]V/LA Dec 22 - Jan 4[/i][/b][/color]
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:31 pm

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Sonicpulsar wrote:Yowsers. So I went on a mini-vacation with my parents (Lake of the Ozarks) where we were supposed to have wireless internet access that was really "come to the office where we have a 10 ft wireless range and you have to be outside." Thus, I couldn't really post since Friday night, I apologize.

I'll hold off on voting to see how people respond to the fact that I'm was lurking on purpose. We have ~3 days to come to a decision.
thanks for posting...confused, were you on vacation? or lurking on purpose? I could be reading this wrong, but this post seems to indicate both.
Gorgon wrote:

ckd
- Why did you pick Sonicpulsar over the other lurkers?
because something about him stuck out to me..

same question back at you.

Also town, any other comments about “content” comparisons between SP, Chronx, and I?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Atticus
Atticus
Mafia Scum
Atticus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Post by Atticus »

Sorry I wasn't around, I'll be sure to check up tomorrow at least.
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result." - Winston Churchill
Sonicpulsar
Sonicpulsar
Goon
Sonicpulsar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Post by Sonicpulsar »

EBWOP Whoops, sorry, I meant I wasn't lurking on purpose, mistype.
"Truth and Falsehood were bathing. Falsehood came out of the water first and dressed herself in Truth's clothes. Truth, unwilling to put on the garments of Falsehood, went naked." - Unknown
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:13 pm

Post by Raffles »

There's like two days of no activity and all of the sudden overnight, a flood of new 20 big post appears that I have to read. I hate you.

Anyway, contray to popular flow, which seems to be "I can't be arsed to pick holes on long posts to argue something" I'm prepared to argue HeH's raised points. And here they are.
Hang 'em High wrote:I'll ask you to look at all this another way. If I were scum, why would I act this way? There's simply no reason for the scum to draw attention to themselves. In a speed game it is much easier for the scum to lay low, particularly on day 1. If I were scum, the only reason to be as aggressive as I have been would be to try and lead the town into a bad lynch today. But that's the most likely outcome anyway, since there are at most 8 townies left and 6 of us have to agree on a lynch today if we're going to get a mafioso. So being this aggressive would be a very high risk / low reward strategy for a scum to take.

If I were town, on the other hand, my play would make perfect sense. We're on a deadline and we can't wait for the scum to out themselves. We've got to aggressively dig them up, and that's what I've been trying to do.

To summarize my playstyle: I've been actively trying to unearth scum. If you look back over my posts, you'll find that my views have been consistent. I've warned against sitting back and being cautious and have advocated aggressively pushing to unearth scum. I've also been consistent in saying that my metagame findings are weak and that we shouldn't read too much into them. In my opinion, advocating a lynch with specious arguments is scummy, but trying to find possible leads without exaggerating their importance is pro-town. I've really been trying to do the latter, but of course you folks will have to be the judge.
For starters, beginning sentence makes you smell fishy, regardless of your alignment. Don't use it. What more, I can tell you why you would act this way, if you were scum.

You argue from the point of view that if you were scum, you would lay quiet, as any good scum would do in a speed game. This argument has a situational flaw.

1. Let's assume you are scum for now. You are the leading wagon. If you lay quiet now, you are going hang for sure. Hence the only way out for you
is
to talk your way out. Since the best course of action is identical for a townie as well, this argument is null.

2. You metagame from the POV that scum would lay low. Whilst this is a good tactical play for scum, in the games where I am scum, I often use this to my advantage and be vocal on purpose, and I've seen many others do the same. Hence this point is a classic WIFOM.
Hang 'em High wrote:Start with the assumption that I'm town -- which I know is the case but the rest of the town won't unless I'm killed. Since I'm in obvious danger, anybody who tries to deflect my lynch is most likely not scum since scum would certainly not say anything that might derail the bandwagon against me (an innocent townie). If I get lynched, you'll see that I was town.
Simpler way to state this would be "if you unvote me, or put up a defence against me, I won't think you are scum". I can't extract any alignment out of this, because it can swing either way. This could be a scum trying to shed some votes, or it could be a clever townie trying to trap the scums on the wagon. What I'm more interested in is the reaction of those who unvoted after seeing this.

This is of course, a very appealing proposition for two groups of people. One is mindless townies, and other is scum group. The action will effectively buy off one vote for them. And it will make their action look town-like, so long as nobody points out what I am doing now. So I wonder which it was...
Woof!
theopor_COD
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
PhD'oh!

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Post by theopor_COD »

votecount

Sonicpulsar (2) - Curiouskarmadog, Hang em High
d3sisted (1) - Gorgon
Curiouskarmadog (1) - ChronX
Hang em High (1) - Raffles

Deadline in 62 hours or so

Prods being sent
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:05 pm

Post by Gorgon »

curiouskarmadog wrote:because something about him stuck out to me..

same question back at you.
You haven't explained fully. Was it just a gut feeling? Mind you, I'm not sure what to make of Sonicpulsar's last post. He still doesn't seem all that helpful. If he survives this day and night, I sure as heck hope he'll be more active on day 2, that's all I'm saying. I don't much like this sort of behaviour. I'm almost sorry I let BM annoy me into changing my vote, but I am happy with my current one though. The reason that I myself voted Sonicpulsar is that I wanted to create a bandwagon on a lurker, as I've already explained. There wasn't that much motive apart from that.
d3sisted wrote:Two words: Bussing scumbuddy.
Well, actual bussing, as in lynching a scumbuddy, would be absolutely pointless right now, especially if you're going to do it by being the first one to vote. If you're talking about distancing, it makes somewhat more sense, though. What are you talking about, exactly, though? I think I know what you're referring to, but as you quote all of HeH's post it's hard to be 100% sure.

I still wish you'd make longer posts; it's very hard to get a handle on you through a short single sentence.

Raffles has a an interesting point. HeH mainly echoed my own thoughts in his defense; I found it un-scumlike to voice such elaborate theories - so he pretty much said what I wanted to hear. I didn't really notice his "I know I'm town, so I'm clearing everyone who doesn't attack me as town" sentiment. I'm not sure how much to make of it though. I felt that the bandwagon on HeH was weak all along and just waiting to derail ... but maybe because I was never that sold on HeH to begin with.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:34 am

Sonicpulsar wrote:EBWOP Whoops, sorry, I meant I wasn't lurking on purpose, mistype.
unvote

so other than not liking my playstyle for whatever reason..any thoughts on anyone else?

Mod can we get a prod or replacement for Mr Pigg??
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:40 am

I am not liking how one prssure vote turned into 3...since post stood out to me.
Hang 'em High wrote:

I think we've got to pick a lurker to threaten and since two people have already picked SP, I'll go along. Besides, he told us scum and power roles lurk -- and he's lurking.
what if he is a power role? Putting that 3rd vote on him would be dangerous, right?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Hang 'em High
Hang 'em High
Goon
Hang 'em High
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:03 am

Post by Hang 'em High »

d3sisted wrote:Two words: Bussing scumbuddy.
I think you've misunderstood my post. I'm not bussing CKD, I'm specifically saying I think he is town and shouldn't be lynched. I know my argument only works if I'm town (which I know I am, but obviously others don't). If I'm lynched or NKed, you'll see that I'm town and I think this makes it very likely that CKD is also town, fior the reasons I outlined in my post. I also don't see how you could think he was bussing me, since I was at L-2 and he voted for someone else despite previously naming me his top suspect.

distad
distad
Goon
distad
Goon
Goon

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:08 am

Post by distad »

no, HeH... it seems that he's accusing CKD of bussing SP...
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:10 am

Post by Gorgon »

curiouskarmadog wrote:I am not liking how one prssure vote turned into 3...since post stood out to me.
Hang 'em High wrote:

what if he is a power role? Putting that 3rd vote on him would be dangerous, right?
God, I was hoping no one would go down this path. I felt HeH's post you're quoting might have possibly revealed a powerrole breadcrumb that Sonicpulsar dropped, which is why I didn't like that post that much - but I also didn't want to go into the issue of Sonicpulsar possibly having breadcrumbed, but now that it's out there ... HeH, did you really not consider the possibility that Sonicpulsar might have been breadcrumbing a powerrole when he said that?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”