Akbar
Akbar
Goon
Akbar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1000 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 6:47 pm

Post by Akbar »

I think Raffles is town. I vote to remove deadline for now. I really like how the vote is fragmented too. It means we've finally woken up. And yes I realize if Raffles comes up scum, it will make me look bad. But, the whole case on Raffles appears to stem from his estimation of scum in game and the unlikelihood of a Cult. Well, I'm town, and I don't think there's a Cult either. So, I'm not convinced.
MoS wrote:Erm, how is that an excellent point, PBug? You're making the same mistake that Raffles made. You're assuming that the result of OTU being town justifies the conclusions he made before knowing OTU's real alignment. He did not KNOW OTU was town, and there was no logical reason for a wagon to stall on a protown player without a counterwagon springing up.
In this post, you clearly stated Raffles did not know OTU's alignment. If your believe Raffles to be ignorant of alignments, how can you be so easily convinced he's scum based on his theory of ESE? More importantly, how do YOU know he didn't know what OTU's alignment was?
DGB wrote:A deadline lynch featuring a single contender means we'll almost certainly be unable to derive any conclusions from today, if Raffles turns up town.
Why would you say it that way? Why no mention of conclusions we may gather if Raffles is scum? Do you know Raffles is town? Also, why wouldn't we be able to draw any conclusions if he's town? Are we going to ignore the fact that 4 out of the 6 people voting Raffles were on OTU's wagon as well? Of course you could just ignore these questions like the way you ignored xReyox asking you why you voted OTU.
Kison wrote:Justified? Maybe. I'm not feeling all too optimistic about the outcome from this, but guess what? It's the closest we've got, and there's a deadline.
Yet, another disclaimer moving towards a possible townie lynch. Which is typically followed up the next day by blaming the accused for not defending himself well enough.
MoS wrote:There is no reason to spread votes around unless there is equally good logic for all the candidates being wagoned, and the logic against Raffles is far better than the weak suspicions on the other two. As it is, if I were to be convinced that Raffles was not the play today, I would probably switch my vote to DGB as a competing wagon. The chances that I will find time to go through and look at other players and analyze them by deadline are slim, considering this is finals week for me.
Am I the only 1 here that missed the "logic that is far better than other weak suspicions?" Someone please catch me up. And if Finals is preventing anyone from analyzing players, they probably shouldn't be voting until after finals.
DGB wrote:The only connection is that I believe there is a greater chance Raffles may be town, than scum. Incidentally, I think a Raffles lynch would be most informative, especially if he is town, because I am challenging it, and people are reacting differently to the challenge to Raffles' wagon.
To me this looks like scum latching on to a townie. If Raffles gets lynched and comes up town, DGB can use this as a shield later.
mneme wrote:It's just that with certain subthreads taking up lots and lots of space, it's hard to get a hard read on anyone aside from raffles (obvious scum), BM (mixed -- but not having played with him, some of this may be playstyle), DGB (seems tres scummy), and a bare few more.
I agree with suspicions of DGB and BM. Could you explain the obvious tells from Raffles that I am missing? Also, in post 954 you remove your vote from Raffles("obvious scum") and place it on DGB(the "tres scummy", which I guess means average scummy). I don't disagree with your vote. But, why did you switch from a "sure thing"? In post 955 you talk about 3 scum groups. If Alex was cult and tried to recruit scum last night, what is your opinion for the lack of nightkills?
Raffles wrote:I find it more of the case that other scums are over-pushing the option 2.
In post 975, when you say other scums, who is the primary scum? As in, other than whom?
Your post 983 I do agree with. It does seems that way.
MoS wrote:the conclusion he came to about us having at least three scum groups is not only a reasonable one, but one that I have also considered to be the most likely scenario, and we're not alone in this.
What do you believe is the cause for the missing nightkills?
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #1001 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 8:08 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

i believe a couple of us are voting for him.
response enough? :roll:

Raffles wrote:I'm dismayed by a lack of response for my case against Pbug. Is there anyone out there?
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1002 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 8:18 pm

Post by Raffles »

@Battle Mage: Nope, I want a proper responese. Not just "Yes, I find him scummy". Which was basically the mneme's argument for me.
Woof!
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1003 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Post by Raffles »

@Akbar - Other scums in that context just means scums. Sorry.
Woof!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1004 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 12:26 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Akbar wrote:I think Raffles is town. I vote to remove deadline for now. I really like how the vote is fragmented too. It means we've finally woken up. And yes I realize if Raffles comes up scum, it will make me look bad. But, the whole case on Raffles appears to stem from his estimation of scum in game and the unlikelihood of a Cult. Well, I'm town, and I don't think there's a Cult either. So, I'm not convinced.
What do you think Al4x was? Do you think there are more than two scum groups? If not, do you think ESE are wolves or mafia, and what in his death scene makes you think that fit flavor-wise? Why do you think there isn't a cult?
MoS wrote:Erm, how is that an excellent point, PBug? You're making the same mistake that Raffles made. You're assuming that the result of OTU being town justifies the conclusions he made before knowing OTU's real alignment. He did not KNOW OTU was town, and there was no logical reason for a wagon to stall on a protown player without a counterwagon springing up.
In this post, you clearly stated Raffles did not know OTU's alignment. If your believe Raffles to be ignorant of alignments, how can you be so easily convinced he's scum based on his theory of ESE? More importantly, how do YOU know he didn't know what OTU's alignment was?
Since there are most likely 3 or more scum groups, Raffles would not know if OTU was mafia, wolf, or otherwise. Whether he's town or scum, he would not have
known
OTU was protown. If he had, he would've said something more than unvoting and saying he'd hammer if he was around. That's hardly the conviction of someone who
knows
someone is protown, don't you think?
DGB wrote:A deadline lynch featuring a single contender means we'll almost certainly be unable to derive any conclusions from today, if Raffles turns up town.
Why would you say it that way? Why no mention of conclusions we may gather if Raffles is scum? Do you know Raffles is town? Also, why wouldn't we be able to draw any conclusions if he's town? Are we going to ignore the fact that 4 out of the 6 people voting Raffles were on OTU's wagon as well? Of course you could just ignore these questions like the way you ignored xReyox asking you why you voted OTU.
Good questions, Akbar. I'll be interested in DGB's answer.
Kison wrote:Justified? Maybe. I'm not feeling all too optimistic about the outcome from this, but guess what? It's the closest we've got, and there's a deadline.
Yet, another disclaimer moving towards a possible townie lynch. Which is typically followed up the next day by blaming the accused for not defending himself well enough.
Actually, I think that Raffles has made an admirable effort towards defending himself. Anyone that tries to make that sort of accusation tomorrow if we lynch Raffles and he comes up town will receive a vote from me, because that's hardly the case. I think we just caught Raffles, and it's hard to argue your way out of being scum. He's still done a pretty damn good job of making sure we had all the angles covered, though. Unfortunately for him, we do.
MoS wrote:There is no reason to spread votes around unless there is equally good logic for all the candidates being wagoned, and the logic against Raffles is far better than the weak suspicions on the other two. As it is, if I were to be convinced that Raffles was not the play today, I would probably switch my vote to DGB as a competing wagon. The chances that I will find time to go through and look at other players and analyze them by deadline are slim, considering this is finals week for me.
Am I the only 1 here that missed the "logic that is far better than other weak suspicions?" Someone please catch me up. And if Finals is preventing anyone from analyzing players, they probably shouldn't be voting until after finals.
Go back and read nearer the beginning of the day, I believe Mr. Flay first spotted the arguments against Raffles. They're not that hard to find, they've been repeated several times as we've gone over them.

Also, since I'm convinced Raffles is scum, there's no problem with me voting him during finals. I just won't have much time to analyze other players in addition yet.
DGB wrote:The only connection is that I believe there is a greater chance Raffles may be town, than scum. Incidentally, I think a Raffles lynch would be most informative, especially if he is town, because I am challenging it, and people are reacting differently to the challenge to Raffles' wagon.
To me this looks like scum latching on to a townie. If Raffles gets lynched and comes up town, DGB can use this as a shield later.
It looks to me like DGB is just setting up every angle. If Raffles comes up scum, she would refer back to this post where she says his lynch would be informative and try to look good off of it, even though she's trying to derail his wagon. If he comes up town, she'd use this post for the same reason. The only thing I'm having trouble deciding right now is whether DGB is a scumbuddy or Raffles or whether DGB is scum independant of Raffles...
MoS wrote:the conclusion he came to about us having at least three scum groups is not only a reasonable one, but one that I have also considered to be the most likely scenario, and we're not alone in this.
What do you believe is the cause for the missing nightkills?
Have you ever heard of the role "Doctor", or perhaps "Roleblocker"? That's a good place to start, not to mention that I think Al4x was probably nightkilled, so that takes care of one kill. Plus, there could be mechanics we know nothing about, or other roles that stopped the kills from happening. This IS a theme game, after all.

Mod: Retract Deadline, please
Permanent V/LA.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1005 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 2:41 am

Post by Raffles »

MoS, I ask you nicely. Don't guess things on basis that I am a scum. I assure you your musing is a waste of time.
Woof!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1006 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 2:43 am

I'm not...I'm covering all the bases, of whether you're scum or not...
Permanent V/LA.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1007 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 2:45 am

Post by Raffles »

MoS wrote:The only thing I'm having trouble deciding right now is whether DGB is a scumbuddy or Raffles or whether DGB is scum independant of Raffles...
Woof!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1008 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 2:54 am

Raffles wrote:
MoS wrote:The only thing I'm having trouble deciding right now is whether DGB is a scumbuddy or Raffles or whether DGB is scum independant of Raffles...
Which of course means that DGB could be scum without you being scum...

Thank you for quoting something that directly disproves the claim you just made.
Permanent V/LA.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1009 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 3:17 am

Post by Raffles »

I thought by independent means different scum groups.
Woof!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1010 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:01 am

independant of your alignment means could be any alignment not her own, which includes different scum groups and protown
Permanent V/LA.
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #1011 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:17 am

Post by mneme »

Too much of this game has resolved around Raffle's lack of English skills/comprehension. Raffles, are you a native English speaker?
Did I say too much?
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1012 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:32 am

Post by Raffles »

Not technically, but I study maths. So I feel the need to rigorously enforce the definition of "independent" and "at least", which are words often comes up in statistics.
Woof!
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1013 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:38 am

Post by Raffles »

Also, is Pbug the only person who is going to respond to my analysis of him? Am I to understand that there are so many scumbuddies of Pbug?
Woof!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1014 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:41 am

Raffles wrote:Not technically, but I study maths. So I feel the need to rigorously enforce the definition of "independent" and "at least", which are words often comes up in statistics.
I grew up with a mathematics professor...
Permanent V/LA.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1015 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:41 am

Raffles wrote:Also, is Pbug the only person who is going to respond to my analysis of him? Am I to understand that there are so many scumbuddies of Pbug?
Why should we speak for Pbug? I'd rather let him speak for himself.
Permanent V/LA.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1016 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:42 am

Post by Raffles »

Why do I care...?
Woof!
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #1017 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 am

Post by mneme »

Akbar wrote:But, the whole case on Raffles appears to stem from his estimation of scum in game and the unlikelihood of a Cult.
I think it's a matter of "though dost protest too much" and the various early struggling he did when he got targeted -- no one thing.

I'm not convinced there's a cult either -- it seems like every game, the spectre of a cult comes up, and it's only actually there very occasionally. But it's one explaination for last night's results, and it's certainly possible.
Akbar wrote: To me this looks like scum latching on to a townie. If Raffles gets lynched and comes up town, DGB can use this as a shield later.
That's certainly one of the possiblities I'm voting DGB on.
Akbar wrote:
mneme wrote:It's just that with certain subthreads taking up lots and lots of space, it's hard to get a hard read on anyone aside from raffles (obvious scum), BM (mixed -- but not having played with him, some of this may be playstyle), DGB (seems tres scummy), and a bare few more.
I agree with suspicions of DGB and BM. Could you explain the obvious tells from Raffles that I am missing? Also, in post 954 you remove your vote from Raffles("obvious scum") and place it on DGB(the "tres scummy", which I guess means average scummy). I don't disagree with your vote. But, why did you switch from a "sure thing"? In post 955 you talk about 3 scum groups. If Alex was cult and tried to recruit scum last night, what is your opinion for the lack of nightkills?
Re Raffles: He's tried to defend DGB. He's very -strident- that there's no cult (and seemed to be positioning ESE as a pro-town group, thus is possibly ESE). He jumped the OTU bandwagon for more or less no reason (ie, a possible jumpoff to avoid being on a townie's bandwagon, though that's not amazingly likely). DGB's defended him.

Despite this, I'm not 100% convinced he's scum -- by "obvious scum" I meant "obviously scummy."

"tres scummy" means "very scummy" -- tres is "very" in French. Over time, I've liked DGB as scum much more than Raffles, so I switched. I may switch back. but Raffles recent protestations seem genuine, so I like DGB somewhat more.

Re "3 scum groups" -- I don't see any reason to speculate that far, though the night post seems fairly clear:

1. Alex wasn't killed by someone he targeted -- he was targeted and killed. The person who killed him wasn't someone he was meeting, but someone who met him.
2. Alex was part of some group, and presumably scummy. It was a fairly complicated night post, so it's possible he wasn't -- but that points to there being at least three scum (still not ruling out a SK, frex) groups. Alex's scum group might be a cult; or it might be a killing group that missed its kill because of a role-blocker, a doctor, targetting a nightkill-immune player, or a double-target (I think that last is unlikely, because the night post was detailed enough that I think a double-target would have been mentioned).
3. Alex was moving at night (this usually means could target, though I suppose it could mean "could talk at night").

Now, if Raffles' group is scummy, and it's neither Wolf nor Mafia, it seems likely that there are three groups. If there are three groups, but only one kill, then either one of these could be true:

Two kills got blocked (see above for blocking options).
One kill got blocked, the other group was a cult.

Two kills getting blocked isn't impossible, but isn't amazingly likely either, thus the cult ideas. They're not bad ideas, either -- but we'll have more info tomorrow to make conjectures on.
Did I say too much?
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1018 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 7:31 am

Raffles wrote:Why do I care...?
To be honest, if he's town, he should be able to answer for himself. If he's scum, we want to make him answer for himself, so he might mess up or get caught in an inconsistency. Letting him answer for himself is a good way to determine his alignment.

Why would you want someone else to answer for him?
Permanent V/LA.
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #1019 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 8:01 am

Post by mneme »

mneme wrote:3. Alex was moving at night (this usually means could target, though I suppose it could mean "could talk at night").

Now, if Raffles' group is scummy, and it's neither Wolf nor Mafia, it seems likely that there are three groups.
This might be a bit freudian, but I meant "Alex's group" (ie, ESE), not "Raffles' Group" (ie, ?; could be ESE).
Did I say too much?
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1020 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 8:12 am

Post by Raffles »

@MoS: The quoted comment was aimed at maths prof comment before that. Simulpost.

I wanted to know what you thought of it. That's all. I never asked you to attack Pbug or defend him.
Woof!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1021 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 11:00 am

Oh. Miscommunication then.
Permanent V/LA.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #1022 (ISO) » Fri May 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Post by Raffles »

Ok, last post. I knew Phoebus won't be back before the deadline. I was looking at whether people would want it.

People who asked for deadline retraction since I have

MoS
Theopor COD
Akbar

People who posted after I asked but didn't say anything

DGB
Fuldu
Pbug
BM
Mneme

My last ditch effort to take some scums down with me.
Woof!
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #1023 (ISO) » Fri May 11, 2007 11:34 pm

Post by Phoebus »

By popular request, the deadline stands retracted.

Vote count should follow in the next couple of posts (i.e. somewhere on the next page)

If discussion slows down and another deadline is posted, that one won't be retracted, no matter what.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #1024 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 12:37 am

Post by Battle Mage »

lol Raffles, are you seriously suggesting that because some people didnt ask for a deadline retraction, they are scum. LMAO.
Thats some serious BM Logic u got there...;)
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”