pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8500 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 8423, BROseidon wrote:How about instead of saying shit like this, you hold people accountable to their actions?

Serious question.

When I said in my giant rant that "everyone who isn't standing up to mastin for her emotional manipulation is complicit in it," I was being completely serious.
(((BRO)))

this is pretty much exactly how I felt in xenosaga. although in that game it wasn't exclusively the same thing (me being distracted by having a PR and lying about half of it and then getting nervous and objectively playing bad as a result was part of it), but I think I've felt a similar way to the way you felt here, although it's not my place to say whether it was to that extent

and I was like the only one who was standing up for it :wink:
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8501 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 8446, Tammy wrote:Also I feel like I was getting on the right track when I tried to approach the game differently and looked at the wagons. Maybe I would have even gotten a scum read right! Who knows, but I like to tell myself I would have.

I feel bad for getting worried Falcon was scum going for the lynch on FoxHound yesterday, but I'm not sure they would have actually gotten lynched anyway, so :/

Sorry.
tbh once you started pulling up all those votecounts I was really impressed by how obvious the scumteam was from a voting angle

all the scum were on every single mislynch besides mastin, and everyone who was on a counterwagon to Nacho on D4 was scum

that's 4 scum votes on the D1 and D3 wagons and 3 on the D5 wagon

holy shit

this game is an example of why scum voting influence is more powerful than it appears
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #8502 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Post by Katsuki »

In post 8499, AngryPidgeon wrote:
In post 8494, Katsuki wrote:
In post 8493, AngryPidgeon wrote:Welp the next item on the revenge agenda is getting back at Iec/Nacho/Katsuki for that 3 room game.
LOL WASNT THIS GAME ENOUGH?
OK FINE JUST YERKY AND NACHO THEN.

YOU BETTER BE ON MY SCUMTEAM IN MOS-VITATIONAL
<3
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #8503 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 8501, pieguyn wrote:all the scum were on every single mislynch besides mastin, and everyone who was on a counterwagon to Nacho on D4 was scum
I wasnt on Magenta or Mastin :|
3dicerolling
3dicerolling
Mafia Scum
3dicerolling
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8504 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Post by 3dicerolling »

Sorry to my slot (AP) for putting you in such a crappy position. I got busy and simply lacked the time to keep. Congrats to the scum team. :)
Clyton
Clyton
Goon
Clyton
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8505 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Post by Clyton »

GG everyone

Had I had time to stay in the game, I would've continued playing up to Mastin and draw this game out further in a famine-like tactic. Only when PA came in and started to accuse Mastin of being scum is when the game actually moved on.

I didn't know what I was thinking when I made my posts before I replaced out. The reads list was putrid, but I put it up anyways cause lol.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8506 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Post by DeasVail »

Woah, we won? GO SCUM!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #8507 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by mastin2 »

(Still planning on writing the Ballad of Tales, revised edition, btw.)
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8508 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:16 am

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

Read the scum thread (finally). Setup-wise, I really hate having a godfather role. It is a rarely ever a good play to lynch a cop confirmed innocent and anytime they get investigated, it would be incredibly difficult for town to win. If it wasn't for the role, AP would have lynched D3 even without Katsuki's investigate. It didn't seem like it mattered because Penguin and Fox survived and won but the game would have actually turned out differently if we lynched AP and associative tells would have helped us more from there. I feel like it is a dumb role to include in any mafia game.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8509 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:27 am

Post by Kagami »

I hate GFs too, but I actually think they're sort of ok in a "cabd game," since mod meta gives you a pretty strong prior that there's likely to be a godfather in the game. At least there isn't a role here that can cause a player to gain the Los Vegas role.

My general opinion is that best practice in a setup using a godfather to weaken the cop is to straight-up tell the town that there's a godfather (or just tell the cop that, and inform the GF that the cop is aware he exists).
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #8510 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:34 am

Post by Cabd »

Once again, i point to the disclaimer that was placed in the signups thread for a reason. And also mod meta yes.
Currently in COVID hell, population: Entire Household
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8511 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:42 am

Post by BROseidon »

Mod meta and warning that the setup has red herrings don't justify an implicitly bad and unfun role being in the game, though.

Like, there are a shitton of ways to nerf cop power in ways that aren't anti-fun.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8512 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:16 am

Post by PeregrineV »

Wow, what a roller coaster ride. Fun game, and actually led to moments of frustration, but I at least got 2 of my townreads and one scumread correct. I'll count that as a Pyrrhic victory.

@Cabd
- thanks for modding. Glad you were able to manage all the weird role/age interactions.

Haven't finished all the pages, but
@CF
- they keep saying you knew AP wasn't what he claimed, but never said it in-thread. What's up with that?

@Magenta-
why didn't you post in our neighborhood?

The only funny (afterthought) I can say about day1 was that I didn't expect to be the NK (since I was the primary wagon of the day), and I wasn't worried about being vigged because I was the vig! :lol:
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #8513 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:31 am

Post by Katsuki »

Godfathers have always been relatively common yet everyone here sounds like they've never played a Godfather game before. :/
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8514 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:12 am

Post by Tammy »

How did JSU track AP night two if he was a ninja?
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8515 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 am

Post by Kagami »

The problem with godfathers is not that they're incredibly uncommon and unexpected, it's that it's sufficiently unlikely that a player whose been cop inno'd would actually be scum that it's a terrible idea to lynch them.

Nobody is a scumhunting god; being right even 60% of the time would be pretty awesome. Given that you anticipate being wrong 40+% of the time, whereas a cop innocent is wrong, like, 5% of the time, which do you go with?

You can't even say, "O, he's just trolling now, he must be a godfather!" because peoples' playstyle tends to change radically even as town once they've been inno'd. Godfathers are just a stupid role unless you want the town to just disregard cop investigations altogether, in which case it's better to simply not put a cop in the game.

GFs are also terrible because they punish the town viciously for making a good decision (investigating scum).
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8516 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:14 am

Post by BROseidon »

The frequency of godfathers is irrelevant to whether their a good design choice. They were an early attempt to fix the problems with cops, and much better fixes have been developed since then (our role was already gated by 2 of them, even night and the lack of ability to distinguish between a guilty, being blocked, and someone who didn't go anywhere.)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8517 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:20 am

Post by BROseidon »

they're. I can't spell.

Also, the argument for/against millers is somewhat more interesting, since they actually have less binary play. I used to be super-hardline "millers are terrible," but I don't think that's necessarily the case. The fact that they appear as frequently as they do is kind of bad, though (since it means people are balancing their cops in lazy ways, and it makes the scum fake claiming miller gambit less viable when you're basically guaranteed a miller and maybe a PGO in every large game).
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8518 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 am

Post by Kagami »

Millers are reasonable because they put the power to reveal how cop investigations might be deceived into the hands of the town.

Godfathers don't.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #8519 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:26 am

Post by Katsuki »

In post 8515, Kagami wrote: GFs are also terrible because they punish the town viciously for making a good decision (investigating scum).
I disagree. Town deserve to be punished if they just incorrectly sheep results. Same shit as trusting cop investigations (cop sanity never confirmed).

It's the same principal of a last remaining scum ninja being tracked, producing a false innocent, or sheeping an insane cop.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8520 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:30 am

Post by BROseidon »

The game implicitly favors scum over town. PRs exist to favor town; there shouldn't be traps that fuck over town by outright lying to them.

Ninjas are also a bad solution to trackers, which don't even need a solution in the first place (There's already counter play in a tracker "guilty" because you can talk your way out of it).

Cop sanity was another poor solution to the cop problem. The best solution to the cop problem is to either not use cops or to heavily gate their power.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8521 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:33 am

Post by Kagami »

If investigations aren't intended to be trusted, then the setup needs to be balanced accordingly, which would mean 3 scum tops.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8522 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:36 am

Post by BROseidon »

Or you give town a metric fuckton of power elsewhere.

People forget that 11:2 mountainous is moderately scumsided (which means 13:4 mountainous is hilariously scumsided). Town power needs to substantially outweigh scum power to balance shit out.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #8523 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:38 am

Post by fferyllt »

This is some good reinforcement for why I value reads over nearly anything else in mafia most of the time. I learned to play mafia in an environment where something like 90% of the games had godfathers. I never wholesale trusted a cop inno until a godfather flipped.

Still don't. And this is the 2nd game I've played ending this month where a godfather inno result contributed to a town loss in part because town players were reluctant to look at the person's play - behavior - and think about the wincon the play fit or something.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #8524 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

The town power wasn't trivial though lol.

If I got lynched d2, scum would have lost. Almost 100% guarantee. If you don't like swingy games, play mini normals.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”