The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #14475 (ISO) » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 14472, Maestro wrote:in the meantime, I borked my Java - thanks Apple!

I can't run Java Apps in Java 6 anymore, and yes I've tried all known methods on the internet of re-enabling the applet directly, they aren't working
my godsend is that MultiMC clearly doesn't give two fucks and runs on whichever JVM it damn well pleases...not that I know how

the same cannot be said for the FTB packs or Vanilla, so I might not be able to get on either of those for awhile :'(
I know a fix for this, just btw.

Tell me what path your FTB jar is in. I'll write you up a commandline arugement to open FTB using java 6.

Or the above suggestion by the nuts guy
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #14476 (ISO) » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Post by Maestro »

Uh, I can play MafiaCraft. I've always used my own custom MultiMC instance since I have the source/test pack before it even goes to the launcher.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14477 (ISO) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Post by Klazam »

So....

M and I are burnt out from being admins. This is becoming less about fun for us, and more about pleasing everyone, and doing stuff for the servers foremost. We cannot do this anymore, and so we're leaving. I'm choosing to do this now, not after MafiaCraft 2.0, to ensure our replacements don't get put in the same bind that we were, having to justify actions made in the past that we might have disagreed with. We're leaving now, so that the next admins get full control of what happens with the future of the servers. This is not something that any individual one of you have caused. We have been burnt out for a while. I'm actually having much more fun playing for myself on KMP, without having to worry about everyone else. call me self centered, hate me if you must, but thats the truth of what i'm feeling.

I've been trying to find the heart to leave for a while now, but things keep on holding me back. That ends now. I'm sorry that there was not much warning about this, but i think you guys deserve dedicated admins who actually play on- server.

I'll help ease the transition where i can, but its now in your hands to decide what happens. Someone needs to volunteer to replace me. I am not forcing this on somebody like it was forced on me.

I'll be playing on KMP from now on, with whomever joins me, but it'll be a dictatorship, with whatever I decide be law. There will be no community input whatsoever. Its my own personal server, and i'll keep it that way. If i am interested, i may eventually play on MafiaCraft, but i have no interest in being admin anymore.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14478 (ISO) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Post by Maestro »

I'll stay Admin on Vanilla. That's like, a nonexistent burden either way. If somebody wants it I'm ambivalent - I dunno when I last saw anybody log on.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #14479 (ISO) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Post by Maruchan »

And so, M and Klaz reach the point I reached a year ago, and realize that if you enjoy playing minecraft, you will eventually get sick of being an admin to a server.

The reason I was able to continue to do so, is that I prefer to do the mindless boring shitty tasks that come with admining shit as opposed to playing. anyways good luck whoever runs shit next, Shoot me a PM on IRC or here or whatever and I'll get you set up in the control panels and help to a point if you ask for it.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14480 (ISO) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Post by Maestro »

^ Same, we'll help with the transition but Maru basically gets it.
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14481 (ISO) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Post by blake5135 »

edit.

mhm...
i'll think about this if anyone else comes up.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14482 (ISO) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

what? O.o
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14483 (ISO) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Spoiler:

FTR: This should NOT be a thing. Fucking suicide spiders. >.>
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
dappyscroo
dappyscroo
Watcher
dappyscroo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14484 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 am

Post by dappyscroo »

According to Multicraft the modded server is up with no players on it. However, when I try to connect I just get a 'Can't reach server'. Can anyone else connect? Does anyone have any idea why I might not be able to?

(Before anyone asks, yes my internet connection is working fine! Also I've changed nothing since the last time I connected which was yesterday.)
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14485 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

192.95.15.185:25602
Use this Dappy. I couldn't connect either. :/
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
dappyscroo
dappyscroo
Watcher
dappyscroo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14486 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 am

Post by dappyscroo »

In post 14485, fuzzybutternut wrote:192.95.15.185:25602
Use this Dappy. I couldn't connect either. :/
Thanks, that works!
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14487 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:41 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

:D Anytime!
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14488 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

So... this is some spectacularly bad timing. I was just planning to step down as an admin too. :?

I haven't really been involved in the running of the server beyond fixing minor stuff in-game recently, though, so it's not like I'd be in a position to start properly running it. Under the circumstances I'd be ok with staying on as an in-game Op if the new admin(s) want, but I don't have the time or experience to be a full admin.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14489 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

We understand Izak. :) RL>Minecraft anyday.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14490 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm willing/volunteering to take over the modded server and/or the vanilla server.

I'd likely need a bunch of help with modded server admin side stuff, and less but still significant help with vanilla admin stuff to get me going. But seeing as I've pretty much been around here the longest out of everyone who still actively participates on the server, you can pretty much count on me not getting quickly bored and burnt out.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14491 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:51 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

2nd rhi for modded server admin! <3
Art is cool.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14492 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

3rd
rhi for modded server admin!

I'll help if needed. :P
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14493 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 14478, Maestro wrote:I'll stay Admin on Vanilla. That's like, a nonexistent burden either way. If somebody wants it I'm ambivalent - I dunno when I last saw anybody log on.
:igmeou: now I have definitive proof that nobody reads my posts :P
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14494 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Post by Klazam »

So, rhino, you taking over i guess.

Let me know what you need, I'll try and expedite things for you
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14495 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

I'm also fine with Rhinox taking over the modded server.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14496 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14493, Maestro wrote:
In post 14478, Maestro wrote:I'll stay Admin on Vanilla. That's like, a nonexistent burden either way. If somebody wants it I'm ambivalent - I dunno when I last saw anybody log on.
:igmeou: now I have definitive proof that nobody reads my posts :P
I read this, whats the problem? All I said is I was willing to take it over as well if you want to be done being admin completely - I got the feeling from that post you see it as more of an obligation at this point, rather than something you really want to do. So I was just letting you know you had an out. And see my thought below on whether we still need 2 servers.

--------------------------------------------------------

First point of business is, what does everybody want? If there was no modded server at all, would everybody play vanilla, or would many just not play at all/move on? People seem to get bored with any server whether its vanilla or modded, so I'm just trying to gauge whether the effort for a modded server is worth it for anyone to do, or if we can just go back to a single community vanilla server? Would everyone who actively plays daily on FTB continue to play on vanilla only? I have to admit that while I do enjoy FTB and the content, I don't really care if I play on vanilla or modded as long as the community is there. When we started up the new vanilla server and people were playing on it, it was great. It felt worthwhile to get on there and do things. Now that activity has fallen off, it doesn't seem as worthwhile anymore when I know no one is going to see what I'm building. I just want to play where every else plays. Given the choice between FTB and vanilla it seems most everyone choses FTB, but if vanilla was the only choice and people actually played there, that would be good for me. And hey, vanilla is kinda fun, and we get a stream of new content with the "stay with the most recent snapshot" philosophy. We can go back to focusing on creating awesome things, rather than who can automate the most stuff.

Assuming a modded server continues and I become the admin, here is my vision for the server:

1) I will be a benevolent dictator. I will have final say in all decisions. I will attempt to make decisions in the community's best interest (not my own).

2) This does not mean no community input - I need to know what the community as a whole wants in order to make decisions in the community's best interest. But generally, we will not decide things on votes, it will not be a democratic process, everyone isn't entitled to have a say, everyone will not get everything they want, and there is no goal to try to please everybody all the time.

3) Opt out clause - if there's a gap between my vision for the server and what the community wants, then its probably best I don't admin the server, or step down if that point is ever reached. The only way this will work is if I actually enjoy the server I'm admining - I'm not going to admin a server that isn't what I like.

4) My intent is to create a persistant, stable world that lasts indefinitely. What that means from a practical standpoint is a lean modpack, minimal/long update cycle, no/minimal modpack changes over the life of the server, no planned resets, etc. I will not consider the modpack/server successful if the world we create doesn't last a year. If this doesn't sound good to people, then tell me now that I'm not the guy, because this will be my core philosophy on which every decision I make or don't make is based around.

--------------------------------------------------------

If you all read the above and are still good with me running the server, then I'll get started figuring out what I need to do to be an admin.

First I'd like opinions/discussion on how everyone would prefer we move on with the server. Just stay with Mafiacraft 1.x and deal with the known issues? Start working on 2.0 now for 1.5? Wait for 1.6? Use a public FTB modpack (Ultimate?) and pare it down and configure to our liking? Other ideas? My preference is Mafiacraft 2.0 now for 1.5 - we've got all the mods available right now, we can update to the latest 1.5 updates and never have to even worry about updating again because we won't be able to without moving to 1.6, and we can get a world people will know will last up as soon as possible rather than waiting in limbo for an unknown amount of time. But I'm willing to consider alternatives.

I need to know from Klaz/M/Maru/whoever, what is the process for submitting packs to FTB to update Mafiacraft?

I would also like from whoever, a basic high level primer on the process for putting a pack together. I think its just downloading the mods and c/p-ing them to the right place in the right order and then editing the config files to eliminate block ID's and what not. If there is more to it than that then I need to be edumacated.

Then I need to know once I have a pack how do I put it in server form, get it to the host, turn it on and be able to connect to it.

Once I get to that point, I'll have someone explain to me dynmap and FTBbot for IRC.

If I'm a quick enough learner and get enough help, then I would hope to have Mafiacraft 2.0 submitted to FTB before next thursday, and then have a new world up and running by August 1st (assuming this is the route people prefer), worst case pushed back a week.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14497 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:06 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Rhonix for
Pres
Admin 2013!
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14498 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:19 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

If we really have to scrap the current world - and I'd really rather we didn't - I think FTB Ultimate is the best option.
dappyscroo
dappyscroo
Watcher
dappyscroo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14499 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 am

Post by dappyscroo »

In post 14496, Rhinox wrote:I will not consider the modpack/server successful if the world we create doesn't last a year.
Hurray!

But then:...
In post 14496, Rhinox wrote:I would hope to have Mafiacraft 2.0 submitted to FTB before next thursday, and then have a new world up and running by August 1st
Eek! Another world reset?! I've only just got to the point where I've found somewhere to call home, and started to think about building there. I've spent my time collecting resources and building a sustainable power source, and now it's all going to waste (again). Would there be anything wrong with trying to make the current world last for a year?

Return to “The Arcade”