Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1500 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 1499, Gammagooey wrote:also a 1G enchantment for delayed get a counter on all your dudes every turn would be super broken, people play cathar's crusade and something that similar for 2 mana would have the shit played out of it with stuff like champion of lambholt or regenerating creatures plus rancor

Might barely be playable. Would not be super broken.
Taking a break from the site.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1501 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:47 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

When has anyone played Cathar's Crusade?
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #1502 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:03 am

Post by Fate »

Why is gLaring spotlight so cheap. I'm not seeing a downside to it on a sideboard. It just seems a Nerf to greens only counter to blue n control spells....
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1503 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I feel like Crypt Ghast at four opens up big black mana potential. Just not convinced that it doesn't do anything farseek into gilded lotus doesn't do better.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1504 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 am

Post by Fate »

Falkenrath Aristocrat+Augre Spree

HMM??

HNNNNNNNNNNNNM??????
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1505 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

What about it
green shirt thursdays
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1506 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 am

Post by Fate »

iunno

its just one of those fun combos that seems like itd be good

Sacrifice+Augre spree can have you hitting with like a 10/x on turn 5
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1507 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am

Post by Fate »

RECK I LINKED YOU A DECK ON AIM I KNOW YOURE READING THIS
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1508 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1504, Fate wrote:Falkenrath Aristocrat+Augre Spree

HMM??

HNNNNNNNNNNNNM??????

Doesn't work. Indestructible doesn't protect against 0 toughness.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1509 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

^
green shirt thursdays
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #1510 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 am

Post by InflatablePie »

GUESS WHO JUST BOUGHT THREE MORE EXQUISITE BLOOD
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #1511 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:40 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

Sooooo Pie and I have been playing around with various decks via Cockatrice, and I think I've finally found a deck that I really enjoy (and that doesn't seem to almost always get its ass kicked). But I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for cards to make it better? I really like what it does, but I feel like there are probably weaknesses that I'm too noob to realize are there that someone else might notice.

Spoiler: LYNCH MOB
1 Bonfire of the Damned
3 Burn at the Stake
2 Entreat the Angels
4 Gather the Townsfolk
3 Increasing Devotion
4 Krenko's Command
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Intangible Virtue
11 Mountain
9 Plains
4 Guttersnipe
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Midnight Haunting
3 Mizzium Mortars
SB: 4 Rootborn Defenses
SB: 3 Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 Rally the Peasants
SB: 3 Odric, Master Tactician
SB: 2 Phantom General
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1512 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Post by chamber »

You might want to try goblin rally as another token producer, but given that you are only running 3 increasing devotion, perhaps mass token production isn't a hole in your deck. lingering souls is really good if you dip into black, but would require a better built manabase. Alternatively green gives you gavony township as another way to abuse the number of tokens you generate. Guttersnipe seems like it should be really bad in that deck, and is probably the card that should be replaced first, but having never played with or against a deck like that (and it being in a more casual grounding than I'm used to) some of this advice may be bad, so make sure to test it all yourself.

edit: On more thought entreat the angels also seems really weird in the deck to me. It produces very large tokens that win on their own, which is different from the rest of the decks synergistic approach to abusing mass produced creatures.
Taking a break from the site.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1513 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd cut Guttersnipe and all the white, and run Krenko (as a one-of), Goblin Rally, and Increasing Vengeance. Maybe Devil's Play as an alternate wincon that can flashback. If you want, you can splash blue, which gives you card draw, as well as Goblin Electromancer, which could enable some sort of combo deck with Battle Hymn and Past in Flames.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1514 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

The guildmage seems pretty good with the right support. Poop otherwise.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1515 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 1499, Gammagooey wrote:ignore bitches have fun

also a 1G enchantment for delayed get a counter on all your dudes every turn would be super broken, people play cathar's crusade and something that similar for 2 mana would have the shit played out of it with stuff like champion of lambholt or regenerating creatures plus rancor

Meh, it'd be okay. I doubt it would be played much, the fundamental costs, a card, your second turn, and a turn per incremental growth, are very fair for the reward (your creatures gradually get big).

I can't imagine standard has become so weak that cards THAT fair are actually any good. Eldrazi Monument, Umezawa's Jitte, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Disciple of the Vault, now THOSE were unfair cards. Unfair cards are always what are broken, not fair cards.

Guildmage seems solid, the net effect is really sweet. Depends on the quality of lifelinkers in the format (I have no idea) as you don't want to be spending six to get the effect very often (you could in a pinch, but meh)
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #1516 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

But I like my guttersnipes, they're what make the deck fun ;_;

and they seem to work pretty well in the deck (although granted I've only played it against two different decks so far)

I've seen lingering souls in a deck before and it is pretty damn awesome, but I'm not anywhere near confident enough in my ability to deckbuild to splash black and think it'd be any good (basically all the decks I have created so far are alterations of a readymade deck I found online, and the one time I tried to splash a third color it didn't work so well for me). I want to stick with two colors max at a time for a while. Entreat the Angels probably is really weird for it, yeah; I don't think I've even gotten a chance to play the card yet and I wouldn't mind subbing it out for something, just... idk what because I feel like I need something with flying/reach to deal with that kind of creature and I'm still very limited in what cards I know anything about soo I can't just go "oh yeah, there's a white card I know of that does x y and z thing, let me put that in" because I'm probably only familiar with, oh, 100-200 cards or so of the ~1000 that are standard, so far.

I'll have to look up Sudo's cards that he was talking about before I can formulate a response to that, aaaaaah.
Last edited by esuriospiritus on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1517 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Don't get me wrong; Guttersnipe looks really fun. But if I wanted a fun Guttersnipe deck that was also good, I'd forget the "Make dudes" plan, and instead play a few efficient creatures backed by a lot of burn spells.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #1518 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

eh, I'm not really attached to the "make dudes" part, to be fair. It seems to work okay (so far), but I mostly just like that they're mostly sorcery cards that make guttersnipe go BAM TO THE FACE MOTHERFUCKER. If I can keep the guttersnipes I'd be cool with putting something else in instead.

The original deck had 2x Worldfire in it so I'm pretty sure the guy who made it was more concerned with making an occasionally hilarious deck than an effective one...

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1519 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The more I think about it, the more I like UR. Guttersnipe has synergy with Delver, in that both want a deck with a high number of spells. Some sort of UR shell, with Delver, Guttersnipe, and maybe Electromancer and/or Stromkirk Noble to get some quick damage in, then stuff like Searing Spear to finish with burn that gets a boost off Guttersnipe. Could even use token makers like Krenko's Command and Talrand's Invocation without stretching your colors to get dudes that also trigger Guttersnipe, and you get draw spells so you can keep your hand up. And you get Izzet Charm, too. Maybe Desolate Lighthouse to get rid of extra lands for more gas.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #1520 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

- Electromancer and Guttersnipe is amazing.
- I'd rather run Talrand as a two-of than any number of his Invocation.
- I personally dislike Izzet Charm; if you're playing UR you can get any of the modes for cheaper w/ Electromancer.
- tl;dr look at the deck I posted a week ago
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1521 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

it's worth noting that Disciple of the vault would have been an entirely fair card if printed in LITERALLY ANY OTHER ENVIRONMENT.

Basically the whole block was Borked.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1522 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 1521, Thestatusquo wrote:it's worth noting that Disciple of the vault would have been an entirely fair card if printed in LITERALLY ANY OTHER ENVIRONMENT.

Basically the whole block was Borked.

Disciple of the Vault would have been a BAD card if it was printed in most other environments (it would have been borked in Urza block too, but so very much was borked then).

But the fundamental nature of Disciple is that it damages your opponent for free with no restriction for 1 mana.

It's like Sword of the Meek. It's inherently unfair, since it's literally a limitless artifact return from the graveyard with no cooldown (squee) and no cost. It takes the right card to break it, and without it it's trash, but it's inherently breaking the rules of the game (1 use of mana sources per turn, 1 land per turn, 1 card per turn, 1 card per card, 1 attack per creature, ~1 P/T per mana cost plus 1 for the card cost (modern only) cost of breaking these rules ~2-4 mana or other resources depending on the rule and how you're breaking it). And not like "being a little more efficient than the rules" but "ignoring the rules of design."

Dredge - inherently unfair
Zoo - inherently fair

Doesn't mean that Dredge is better than zoo, but you'll get a lot of 'omgwtfbbq' out of dredge.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1523 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

I think Wizards just took a giant shit on Hexproof in a recent release (I think it's recent?). It's basically a 1 colorless mana artifact that causes all opponent's creatures to be treated as if they don't have hexproof, and has a interrupt of spending 3 mana and sending it to the discard to make one of your creatures hexproof until end of turn.

Can't remember the name, but it looked stupid.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1524 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Good. Hexproof is like the biggest design flaw of magic as it is currently printed, and it certainly the most non-interactive and unfun mechanic.

Return to “The Arcade”