Newbie 1,304 (Game over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1000 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

VOTE COUNT

leviathan93 (2): uctriton00, penguin_alien
zabriel (1): Edosurist

penguin_alien (4): zabriel, Thor665, leviathan93, theslimer3

With
players alive, it takes
votes to lynch.

You nearly decide that one of leviathan93 or zabriel has to go, but then you decide that those two aren't it—you decide it has to be penguin_alien. And guess what? Switching off from the first two was the right answer. You find pretty damning evidence that penguin_alien was in the Mafia, meaning that Rome has been eradicated of the menace that have been driving many longtime residents away. Now you can experience Roman glory again.

penguin_alien, who was a
Mafia goon
, has been lynched on Day 3.
Edosurist, who was a
vanilla townie
, has survived the endgame.
leviathan93, who was a
vanilla townie
theslimer3, who was a
jailkeeper
Thor665
, who was a
vanilla townie
uctriton00
, who was a
doctor
zabriel
, who was a
vanilla townie

CONGRATULATIONS EDOSURIST, LEVIATHAN93, THESLIMER3, THOR665, UCTRITON00, VINTERMUTE, AND ZABRIEL; YOU, THE TOWN, HAVE WON!

Mafia QuickTopic
Dead thread

NIGHT 1 ACTIONS

theslimer3 jailkeeps Mirhawk.
uctriton00 protects Thor665.
Mirhawk attempts to investigate theslimer3, but gets jailkept.
Mirhawk attempts to kill uctriton00, but gets jailkept.

NIGHT 2 ACTIONS

theslimer3 jailkeeps uctriton00.
uctriton00 attempts to protect theslimer3, but gets jailkept.
penguin_alien attempts to kill uctriton00, but uctriton00 gets jailkept.

MOD NOTES

1. I wouldn't have tried to get counterclaimed as town. It casts doubt as to whether you are what you really claimed, increasing your chances of a lynch. I can see a newbie player trying to do it to get a Mafioso to fakeclaim, but the trap is easily avoided by refusing to take the bait.
  2. The Mafia would have succeeded in killing uctriton00 on Night 1 if it had not switched which one of them was doing the kill.
  3. This wasn't planned when I started the game, but after running six newbie games, this is my last one. The newbie setups are supposed to be randomly determined, and I trust you mine was, but you occasionally get someone that'll mod whatever he or she wants instead. What they have planned to fix that is that the list mod randomizes the setup for the newbie mod. I'm not the kind of person that likes things done for me, especially things I can do myself, so I'm done here. The good news is that I still plan to continue modding other types of games, and if you want in another game of mine, there's one that needs replacements right now in my sig (though I feel morally obligated to tell you that going from a newbie game to a large theme is a big jump).
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
leviathan93
leviathan93
Mafia Scum
leviathan93
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1001 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Post by leviathan93 »

BOOM!! I knew penguin was scummy! =D
zabriel
zabriel
Mafia Scum
zabriel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1002 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Post by zabriel »

That turned around pretty well. Great game everybody.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1003 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Not unexpected. ;)

I'll do up my patented big wall o' reads tomorrow for everyone.
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1004 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Post by uctriton00 »

Does that say doctor by my name

Sweet founding fathers it DOES say doctor by my name
"Also the town owes uctriton an apology for throwing him under the bus." - RXK
"I hate whoever shot triton." - Bumi
theslimer3
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1005 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Post by theslimer3 »

I saved your life twice Uct xD
theslimer3
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1006 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Post by theslimer3 »

So my plan slightly worked. No one saw my message saying "No lynch"

It was suppose to throw off the last remaining scum, if he saw it.
I knew they were both town, so I didn't want them killed, so I attempted to atleast try to get someone else and not them. Zab did very well in turning the tables in this game, and my protecting Uct also helped us keep him for one more day. Who knows how this game would have went if he wasn't altering it slightly?
theslimer3
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1007 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Post by theslimer3 »

Just randomly decided to read the QT
Great read! It proves they've fallen into each of my traps.

I seriously didn't think the fact that I always gender neutral everything that applies to a large amount of people would get to that xD

And another thing was I knew they would attack uct. So I've just confirmed that me saving him has drastically altered the game on that day. I managed to stop the lynch on Levi and Zab and someone else did the rest for me. God I love this game ;3
(Levi, Zab, Thor, and Uct were my town reads. That left Edo (I was actually kinda hoping I'd get him out) and Penguin.

Bang bang
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1008 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Post by Edosurist »

Waitwut... we won?
That was an amusing finish.
Amusing game, actually. I thought we were screwed at the end of D1 after outing both PRs.
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1009 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Post by Edosurist »

Also, I don't entirely understand how you figured I was scum. Mind filling me in? Had something to do with my interactions with Mirhawk.
zabriel
zabriel
Mafia Scum
zabriel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1010 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Post by zabriel »

Who would you have blocked if you didn't block Uct N2 slimer?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1011 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:37 am

Post by Thor665 »

Thor's Big Wall o' Reads and Random Blather

(patent pending

Vintermute
- A lot of the reason you ended up dead was that you tended to speak before thinking, and also that, Day 1, most people thought Mirhawk was town. Overall your play really wasn't bad, it's just it wasn't brilliant either and that put you into the cross-hairs early. You really didn't do anything bad (except maybe that hammer thing...and that may have just been me) and the only real improvement that immediately comes to my mind is simply: play more. You'll get better and then you'll be even less likely to get lynched Day 1.

Mirhawk
- Obviously the biggest mistake you made was in submitting the kill ;) That said, there's a reason I opened up Day 2 saying I wanted to lynch you or Uct, and that was your push on me Day 1. One of the biggest 'mistakes' I see newer scum make is this: they want to make sure their cases look legit, so they invent cases, come up with reasoning, and stick to their reads. The issue is, scum often stick to their reads in...odd ways, and I think you did that this game. You and I were having a discussion and I proved part of your case to not be valid and...nothing changed in your read. That's odd - note this last Day phase where I was okay lynching Zab, then a post was shown and suddenly I thought Zab was basically confirmed town? That's a town reaction - look at evidence, and if evidence changes what you think...well, good, let it change it! I would suggest trying to work that fluidity into your next scum game, I predict even less suspicion on you then, as your Day 1 play was otherwise really awesome.

Penguin_Alien
- You played a fine game, but came in at a point where the PoE was getting deadly and everyone was acting like obv. town and leaving you alone in the cold with no blanket. I, sadly, don't have a lot of brilliant advice for that, because there really isn't too much that can be done. I suppose my advice would be to argue about one of the town reads and try to stretch out the day - usually when I manage to win as scum in that sort of setup it's because I keep the day running long enough to allow town to start doubting their reads as people say derp things. Other than that (and suggesting Mirhawk do the kill ;) ) you played an awesome game. I'll actually admit that I would have been happy with Uct death though... :shifty:

Edosurist
- You played a super solid game here and were discussed by scum as a the top kill with me, and both of us were bandied about as threats of roughly equal/superior level to the two claimed PRs. Wash yourself in awesomesauce, my friend, you just played an awesome game. I literally have nothing I see as really needing work. Now, the hard part, try to do this every time you're town, and also when scum ;)

Leviathan
- You were a weaker member in a town filled with players playing really strong games. You were NOT playing bad, you just weren't playing like a superstar (or as a claimed PR). If I had to point to something that was bad about you it would be this - I think you play a game that makes you look like town...but doesn't make you able to lynch scum. You always sounded unsure and nervous about your reads and posted in a way that made you look weak and harmless. That will help you live through the game, but it won't help you get people to vote scum and it also won't make scum fear you and NK you (which, as VT, is what you're supposed to be doing). Work on trying to sound more confident - even if you're not confident, just fake it a bit, but tha will earn you more respect and help you actually get to decide who is lynched by more than just your vote, because you'll control other votes.

Zabriel
- Don't be a lurk-sack man... Really, the best thing you had going for you was that Mirhawk thought you were a weak enough lurker he could get you lynched easily. To my mind, besides maybe Vint, you played the weakest town game - even though your posts were all good and well reasoned. It was the lurk that made you weak and a lynch target. I understand that not everyone can post to the levels I do (and, indeed, that's probably a good thing) but at the same time you want to post enough that people feel you're involved with the game. Even just a consistent one post a day (which you ought to be able to do, and if you can't you should play in less games at once) will go light years to making you a more functional town presence. I will say you did an awesome job in admitting you shared my Mirhawk issues, because you gave me a wagon to work with - like I said, your posts were good, it was your regularity that was weak.

Uctitron
- If you weren't the Doc you would have had issues this game...issues of rope stretching neck. First off, like I'll eventually also grumble at Slimer about, your decision not to listen to my advice on who to Doc was bad. Note that it left you thinking Slimer was scum (even though you had no evidence that supported that conclusion) and also that you ended up putting the much more powerful PR at risk. At that stage of the game you were a top suspect and the weaker PR - your job was to annoy scum and get NKed in a way that would leave town knowing what happened. Dear lord, if scum had figured you for a liar or someone who wouldn't listen to me they could have shot Slimer, and you would have been lynched Day 2 and this would have been a *totally* different game. Also, Day 1 - your push on Slimer was rough, he was clearly not going to be lynched, and you actually weren't trying to get him lynched that hard, but you left your vote on him for a lengthy period of time which was all just useless time. If your vote is on someone then try to get that person lynched with your words - and if you're not doing that do something useful with your vote. On the plus side, this all went well anyway, and now you can see some of the reactions from scum in their QT and understand how, as a suspected player, your job was to die leaving town a clear trail to follow. I will admit I liked your posts - when you did make them (don't lurk) you made them very clear, succinct, and pro-town...something other players here could learn from ;)

Slimer
- Your jail of Uct Night 2 was silly. Yes, you saved his life, big whoop. If you had jailed Zab, or Levi and Uct had died we would have had confirmed town Zab/Levi to add to our pile of 'obv. town' Thor and Edo. If you had jailed Penguin we could have had a repeat of Day 2. You went off the tracks and robbed us of info, because your jail info became useless. As I pointed out, the only way your info was helpful was if you were already convinced that Uct was town or was scum - and you were not convinced of that, so... I found your play overall to be good, but mixed with you seeming to think some things were better than I think they were. A number of your comments left me going 'egads, I want that slot dead' because you were stating things I thought of as anti-town. Now, in the end, you were respectably accurate with your jails, and you claim to have been very accurate with your reads (though you didn't state them too loudly for the rest of the town, which was awkward). If your style helped you do that, then I would encourage you to stick with your style because clearly it works. If you are overplaying how clear those reads were, then I would encourage you to look at the comments I made about you during the course of the game - because I think they could help you. I would, at the very least, note that the only reason you were not lynched was you were a PR *and* I fought to avoid your lynch. No matter how you cut it that is not good, your style should not need to rely on being PR and having other people defend you to prevent a lynch Day 1. I do suggest you look at my comments about you Day 1 and see what you can adjust and still maintain your style.

Overall I think mostly everyone played well. We had bit of lurk and a bit of the usual newbie 'herpy-hey!' in the game, but everyone clearly was playing to win and even advancing cases and thoughts of their own without too much screaming from me (and that is MAGICAL! let me assure you). I would not only be happy to play with any of you again, there's a fair shake I would be excited to play with again, and I do not always say that at the end of a game. So kudos to the lot :D

If anyone wants me to expand on any of these thoughts, or to answer a specific question about my play, or to really blabber on about anything else, just ask. I'm here as a resource for you post game as well as during it. Ask here or via PM, and I will answer to the best of my abilities.
Mirhawk
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1012 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:57 am

Post by Mirhawk »

I'm usually terrified of being scum. But I actually had a lot of fun this time. Shouldn't have switched the night kill to me, but hindsight is of course 20\20.

I felt that town did pretty good, though slimer and uctrion were kinda unpredictable. Slimer in particular was agrivating to me, I could never figure out what you were thinking.
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1013 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 am

Post by Edosurist »

^I'm pretty sure that was the point of his play.
It pissed me off at times, but I think I actually came to like it.

Shout out to Thor for putting up with n00bs and writing that big wall.
And thanks, Coug, for modding this game.
^Question: About how long's the general wait for modding a non-newbie game? Like, say, an Open game.
zabriel
zabriel
Mafia Scum
zabriel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1014 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 am

Post by zabriel »

Yeah, there was a lot of busy happening. I'm glad we nailed Penguin day 2 though. Marathon Days are for marathons. Interestingly being a lurk-sack has lead me to a few town victories when scum start doing LaL inconsistently.
zabriel
zabriel
Mafia Scum
zabriel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1015 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 am

Post by zabriel »

But Marathon Days are a little different than normal games. It's easy to call bullshit on somebody when your last game with them was 20 minutes ago.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1016 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 1013, Edosurist wrote:Shout out to Thor for putting up with n00bs and writing that big wall.
And thanks, Coug, for modding this game.
^Question: About how long's the general wait for modding a non-newbie game? Like, say, an Open game.

It depends on the queue. Generally, the more demand there is to mod, the longer.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
zabriel
zabriel
Mafia Scum
zabriel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1017 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Post by zabriel »

I'm still pretty impressed that we managed to lynch Penguin with both Leviathan and I riding at L-1. Slimer's N2 action was not the choice I'd have made, but the way he interacted with Leviathan was great. This set-up was really town-sided, so scum was pretty doomed from the start. Still, it was a lot of fun. Hope to see you all around more.
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1018 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Post by uctriton00 »

The wagon started the day after Christmas at 9 in the morning, and finished at 430pm in the evening. But we had the luxury of a doc/jk siege tank suggestion by Thor, so that gave us all the bravery to go ahead. Good work, us.
"Also the town owes uctriton an apology for throwing him under the bus." - RXK
"I hate whoever shot triton." - Bumi
Vintermute
Vintermute
Goon
Vintermute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1019 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Post by Vintermute »

Woot town won! Fiqured my play was sorta bad since it got me killed day 1.

Oh and I'm sure the hammer thing looked scummy as heck but at that point I wanted the day to finally end.
penguin_alien
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1020 (ISO) » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Post by penguin_alien »

I don't think there were any scenarios I ran that would have put me at MyLo or LyLo with more than one other unconfirmed player, with unconfirmed players including PRs. Plus, the town was going to be lynching the least-town people, and generally the JK would be jailing (and clearing) the scummiest players, which would have whittled the field down to the most pro-town group. My understanding is that it's ideal to bring someone scummy along to LyLo, but even if my kill on uctriton00 had gone through, there would have been at least one conf-town at the end, plus someone no one wanted to lynch, so.

Well-played to the town, and my public apologies to Mirhawk for insisting on changing the NK deliverer--I enjoyed being on the scum team with him for the limited time. Thanks to StrangerCoug for modding!

A couple of analysis questions, if Thor665 (thanks for the feedback!) or anyone else wants to chime in: would having gotten a vote down on Day Two have helped my not looking so scummy, or with PoE did that not really factor in? In terms of picking a NK on Night Two, any thoughts on what a better strategy might have been? I think my best shot at prolonging Day Three would have been to try to figure out why theslimer3 had found Edosurist scummy on Day One and string that out, since no one was going to lynch an un-CC'd PR at that point and momentum had moved off zabriel and leviathan93?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1021 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:29 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 1020, penguin_alien wrote:A couple of analysis questions, if Thor665 (thanks for the feedback!) or anyone else wants to chime in: would having gotten a vote down on Day Two have helped my not looking so scummy, or with PoE did that not really factor in? In terms of picking a NK on Night Two, any thoughts on what a better strategy might have been? I think my best shot at prolonging Day Three would have been to try to figure out why theslimer3 had found Edosurist scummy on Day One and string that out, since no one was going to lynch an un-CC'd PR at that point and momentum had moved off zabriel and leviathan93?

You managing to vote Day 2 would have mattered nothing to me - you were scummy for other reasons and other players were looking strongly town for other reasons. I never even considered your voting history in having you as one of my top 2 to die.

By night 2 you guys were already in trouble. I think the Uct kill was a fine kill. Frankly, trying for a Slimer kill may have been rather worth it as well, considering how the PRs had been misbehaving. Really, you were dogged that day because of the Mirhawk jail - if Slimer had jailed anyone else and you guys had even just no killed then it would have been pretty solid for you as a play. The problem was I thought Mirhawk was scummy, it looks like Edo did as well, or was at least scummy enough to be worth lynching, and Slimer suspected him - that's three town with a decent desire to lynch one of the scum, and toss in a jail on top of that and Mirhawk was basically dead no matter what.

Probably if you'd just come up with a case that sounded sensible on Edo you might have managed to suck Slimer onto it. I would have been against it, but I don't know about the rest of the town - I don't think everyone shared my read on Edo, so he may have been lynchable.
theslimer3
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1022 (ISO) » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:35 pm

Post by theslimer3 »

So this is the only town game I won? Kick ass!:D
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1023 (ISO) » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Post by Edosurist »

In post 1009, Edosurist wrote:Also, I don't entirely understand how you figured I was scum. Mind filling me in? Had something to do with my interactions with Mirhawk.

This was directed at slimer... still waiting a response. Oh, and
Happy New Year, folks!
theslimer3
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
theslimer3
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1024 (ISO) » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Post by theslimer3 »

Something like a shot in the dark for PoE xD

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”