Thespival 2007

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:23 pm

Post by mith »

What I told MoS is that I was concerned that he was acting as though it was already decided he was hosting an "official" meetup, given that there were others who were interested and that there was some concern about the hosting situation. Given that, I didn't want people committing to anything until it was discussed (and now some people are saying their already committed to it, of course...)

This was over two months ago, though. Since then I haven't really talked to MoS at all (didn't see him on AIM that much, and have been very busy with all sorts of other things), and this kinda slipped my mind. So, I do wish Thesp had PMed me just so I could fill him in on the status of that (and so I would remember that something needed to be discussed).

That said:

a. There is absolutely no reason there can't be two meetups. Or more. As MeMe implies, people are capable of gathering any time they like.* Thesp has not set a date yet, and even if they were the same week, the group of people able to go to both is probably pretty small anyway.
b.
If
we're going to have "official" yearly meetups (by official, I mean something that has been considered and endorsed by me or some as yet non-existent planning group, primarily for the purpse of giving the slackers who won't just turn up somewhere at a moment's notice motivation to come), claiming years well in advance is counterproductive. Being the first to suggest people come to you != being the best suited to host something like this.
c. But we don't have to have "official" meetups. Just keep in mind that these don't always work out, and saying you'll host something is no guarantee that people will turn up. And, on the other side of things: not every meetup has to be huge. Small meetups are good too.

*But if you don't at least let me know it's happening so I can randomly turn up, you may get your account banned.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:59 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

mith wrote:What I told MoS is that I was concerned that he was acting as though it was already decided he was hosting an "official" meetup, given that there were others who were interested and that there was some concern about the hosting situation. Given that, I didn't want people committing to anything until it was discussed (and now some people are saying their already committed to it, of course...)

This was over two months ago, though. Since then I haven't really talked to MoS at all (didn't see him on AIM that much, and have been very busy with all sorts of other things), and this kinda slipped my mind. So, I do wish Thesp had PMed me just so I could fill him in on the status of that (and so I would remember that something needed to be discussed).

That said:

a. There is absolutely no reason there can't be two meetups. Or more. As MeMe implies, people are capable of gathering any time they like.* Thesp has not set a date yet, and even if they were the same week, the group of people able to go to both is probably pretty small anyway.
b.
If
we're going to have "official" yearly meetups (by official, I mean something that has been considered and endorsed by me or some as yet non-existent planning group, primarily for the purpse of giving the slackers who won't just turn up somewhere at a moment's notice motivation to come), claiming years well in advance is counterproductive. Being the first to suggest people come to you != being the best suited to host something like this.
c. But we don't have to have "official" meetups. Just keep in mind that these don't always work out, and saying you'll host something is no guarantee that people will turn up. And, on the other side of things: not every meetup has to be huge. Small meetups are good too.

*But if you don't at least let me know it's happening so I can randomly turn up, you may get your account banned.
Actually, your aim still has me randomly blocked, I'm online almost all the time. That's besides the point though. We really need to get that fixed lol.
Permanent V/LA.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:18 am

Post by Thesp »

We're pondering the weekend of July 14-15, plus surrounding days... would that work well? I'm hesitant to do it the weekend after July 4th, seeing that people may be wanting to do other things that weekend, but that would work better we'd be happy for it instead.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:44 am

Post by mith »

Probably better for me than June. I may here be all summer, but if not it's pretty likely I'll be there in July at least.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:47 am

Post by MeMe »

Is that when humidity is scheduled to be higher? ~crosses fingers~
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:24 am

Post by Talitha »

I'll be on my way back to NZ by the 13th or 14th. But I have my heart set on seeing New Orleans and the South, so maybe I can call in a bit earlier and say HI anyway :-)
kristocker
kristocker
Goon
kristocker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:54 pm

Post by kristocker »

The humidity in July is about the same as in June. It will be worse in August. Why do you think we Southern women are known for our big hair!?! We just work with what nature provides.

Talitha, please come by! It would be great to meet you. And if you are here before the crowd, you can a sneak preview of the festivities. We are about 2 1/2 hours northeast of NOLA - a hop, skip, and a jump!
[size=84]And before we kill, me just want say one ting├óÔé¼┬ªDis one small swing for croc, one giant blow for croc-kind.[/size]
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 pm

Post by Talitha »

Why thank you! :-) If I am there before the crowd feel free to test out your sweet tea and cookies on me :D
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:24 pm

Post by Internet Stranger »

How am I supposed to pick between MOSfest and Thespival now? Who has the better offer?
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:44 am

Post by Thesp »

Anix wrote:Also, is it cool if I bring my paranormal hunting gear? I kinda need to be on call.
Sorry I missed this earlier. Absolutely you can! In fact, I suspect there are very few (if any people) around here who would have such gear, so you would have a better chance finding things here than most other places! (I also have quite an M:tG collection to play with...)
Internet Stranger wrote:How am I supposed to pick between MOSfest and Thespival now? Who has the better offer?
If you can make it to both, that's awesome. If not, some more reasons to come to Thespival...

1. A comprehensive board game collection that will have something for everyone

2. Enough space in the house that the wusses who fall asleep before 2am can have their own room to sleep in, while we still have 2 living rooms and a dining room to play mafia and other games in

3. All the things aforementioned, including cookies and sweet tea (though we can make unsweet tea as necessary), and the best pepperoni lasagna you'll ever have

4. Three fire-bellied toads, which as I understand, are illegal to lick

5. We have TWO Dance Dance Revolution pads, so twice as many people can look smooth/silly at the same time

6. Hosts who are able to pony up some funds to have goodies and go places

7. A huge backyard for football, bocce ball, ultimate frisbee, and whatever violent sports you want to play

8. 3 computers in the office for networked games and checking on online mafia games when you get lynched in the face-to-face mafia games

9. Meeting some of your favorite mafiascum players, including the distinct possibility of a vanful of scummers via Missouri

10. A special souvenir to remember your experience

Just off the top of my head. ;)
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Thats a good offer.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:27 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

Thesp wrote:5. We have TWO Dance Dance Revolution pads, so twice as many people can look smooth/silly at the same time
:shock:

I think I set the guinness record for

"Fattest person who can DDR pretty well."
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:49 am

Thesp wrote:
Anix wrote:Also, is it cool if I bring my paranormal hunting gear? I kinda need to be on call.
Sorry I missed this earlier. Absolutely you can! In fact, I suspect there are very few (if any people) around here who would have such gear, so you would have a better chance finding things here than most other places! (I also have quite an M:tG collection to play with...)
Internet Stranger wrote:How am I supposed to pick between MOSfest and Thespival now? Who has the better offer?
If you can make it to both, that's awesome. If not, some more reasons to come to Thespival...

1. A comprehensive board game collection that will have something for everyone

2. Enough space in the house that the wusses who fall asleep before 2am can have their own room to sleep in, while we still have 2 living rooms and a dining room to play mafia and other games in

3. All the things aforementioned, including cookies and sweet tea (though we can make unsweet tea as necessary), and the best pepperoni lasagna you'll ever have

4. Three fire-bellied toads, which as I understand, are illegal to lick

5. We have TWO Dance Dance Revolution pads, so twice as many people can look smooth/silly at the same time

6. Hosts who are able to pony up some funds to have goodies and go places

7. A huge backyard for football, bocce ball, ultimate frisbee, and whatever violent sports you want to play

8. 3 computers in the office for networked games and checking on online mafia games when you get lynched in the face-to-face mafia games

9. Meeting some of your favorite mafiascum players, including the distinct possibility of a vanful of scummers via Missouri

10. A special souvenir to remember your experience

Just off the top of my head. ;)
Might as well make the counteroffer in here :P

1. I don't have a list, but I do have this:
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/372/dscf00059mt.jpg
http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/392/dscf00124fa.jpg

2. We have a huge *finished* walkout basement to party in, plus an entire ranch-style upstairs for those who want to get away for a while/sleep.

3. I may or may not be able to get some old-fashioned sarsparilla (like root beer, but much better), not to mention the famous strawberry bread! There is also a distinct possibility of homemade pie, baked in a dutch oven (for those of you that don't know, a dutch oven is used by putting it on coals from a woodfire, then putting coals on top of the lid, too. This ain't no conventional oven, this is the good stuff! Might I add that these pies are the best I've ever had, so I will try hard to convince them to make some before MoS-Faire)

4. We have a pond and woods in our backyard full of toads, crickets, squirrels, etc.

5. N64, SNES, Sega Genesis, Playstation 1, and multiple TVs to play them all at once.

6. Any time there's a party at my house, there will be goodies :).

7. We have about half an acre of yardage (the other half is underwater), plus a large field less than a block away to go play any sort of game that you want. I might even be able to arrange for some monkey-brain bowling! ;)

8. Two laptops and 1 desktop on an in-house network, plus a wireless network throughout the house for anyone who wants to bring their computer along to play games or use the internet. There will be at least 2 or 3 other laptops/computers there for sure, from people I know are bringing theirs.

9. Meeting lots of awesome Scummers and GLers, even the KY Krew will be there!

10. Oh there will be souvenirs, I assure you of that :)

11. A dance floor in the party room for those who want to break it down.

12. Dartboards, need I say more?

13. A screened-in porch and an outside deck for those who want to go outside and enjoy the summer weather.

14. Lots of comfy couches and recliners to sleep in, as well as up to two guest rooms for the highest bidder (just kidding ;) ).

15. Enough magic cards to make 6 or 7 decks for those who want to play or have a tournament. Not to mention that we'll probably get a box of packs if enough people want to draft.

16. A multitude of snacks and munchies for anyone who gets hungry, including my favorite, chips and salsa! If I go visit my grandparents in south dakota before MoS-Faire, I'll bring back some D.L. Jardines Habanero salsa just for the festivities.
Permanent V/LA.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:43 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

15. Enough magic cards to make 6 or 7 decks for those who want to play or have a tournament. Not to mention that we'll probably get a box of packs if enough people want to draft.
Thesp got owned. O.O
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Post by Fritzler »

no way, thesp wins because of number 4, by far
Surfs up dude.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:59 am

Post by Thesp »

Thestatusquo wrote:
Thesp got owned. O.O
I typically get at least box of Magic when every set comes out. I have roughly 30 decks already prepared, running from casual to competitive. ;)

But it's not just about Magic, the mafia and other games will be extensive for those unaccustomed to cardboard crack. ;)
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:35 am

Post by MeMe »

For me it's not about Magic
at all
. Ugh.

I AM incredibly excited about playing Cities & Knights. I've been able to get it to the table a few times on the strength of kristocker's endorsement and have fallen in LOVE with the game, but it's so long I generally get groans from everyone else when I suggest it. Can't wait!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:09 am

Post by Thesp »

MeMe wrote:I AM incredibly excited about playing Cities & Knights. I've been able to get it to the table a few times on the strength of kristocker's endorsement and have fallen in LOVE with the game, but it's so long I generally get groans from everyone else when I suggest it. Can't wait!
YUSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

We also have Das Buch, which has a number of Settlers variants, so we can play Settlers every way imaginable. (I've played a 10-player game of Settlers before, which actually ran fairly smoothly!) Cities & Knights is indeed my favorite way to play.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:11 am

Mastermind of Sin wrote:Sorry, I'll make sure Settlers is there. My sister has Settlers, Seafarers, and Cities and Knights, plus the 5-6 player expansions.
:P
Permanent V/LA.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Post by MeMe »

To explain: I'm quite excited about playing C&K with someone who cites it as her favorite game.
al_kohaulec
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
Tricksy

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm

Post by al_kohaulec »

Ooh, 4 is compelling. This one I think I can make. :D
AIM account: DolusDeceit [s]not al_kohaulec[/s]
kristocker
kristocker
Goon
kristocker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:00 am

Post by kristocker »

Cities and Knights is my favorite game EVAR! MeMe, I'm so glad that you started playing it. I can't wait to beat you down this summer! Er...I mean, play with you in a nice civilized setting. Yeah, that's it. :)
[size=84]And before we kill, me just want say one ting├óÔé¼┬ªDis one small swing for croc, one giant blow for croc-kind.[/size]
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:37 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

Cities and Knights I think was the only game I got completely wrecked in.

That Thesp guy is a bloody unparalleled master of evil. It's like he showed you exactly how you would lose and still ended up doing it.

A warning to ya'all planning to head to Thespival, if you can't handle ruthlessly being destroyed at a boardgame, there's three rules you need to absolutely understand.

Team up on Thesp

Team up on Thesp

Team up on Thesp.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
al_kohaulec
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
Tricksy

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:24 am

Post by al_kohaulec »

Hey Pooky, wanna ally against Thesp?

Creating and breaking alliances is what I do :D