Spoon
Spoon
Townie
Spoon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:25 pm

Post by Spoon »

Ok, these rules are really confusing. Luckily, I just write 3 sentences with proper grammer and punctuation, and I can post any way I like. Thank goodness. :)

On a related note, lots of people have already broken a lot of the rules, but that is understandable, given the confusion of the Mirror Zone.

My rule
: All players with a name not starting with a capital letter cannot make their posts longer then two sentences.

(Of course, due to the Mirror Zone, this affects all players with names starting with capital letters, and modargo's rule can be used to nullify the effect)
Spoon?
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:33 pm

Post by Werebear »

But I was absolved of any rules that might affect me. And I still get to throw a water balloon at Leonidas.

*fills a water balloon with dime store perfume*
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:34 pm

Post by Werebear »

Oh, yeah, and
Vote: Spoon
completely random. Um, we ARE voting still, aren't we?
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:31 pm

Post by ZONEACE »

i would like Mlaker to get her and makle a post. right now we have no idea whether gnome and i's rules count.

*throws sharp objects at spoon*
Spoon
Spoon
Townie
Spoon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:26 pm

Post by Spoon »

Oops, forgot that.... this is mafia.
Vote ZONEACE
. Now, since I have to write three sentences in order to avoid all the annoying rules, and I doubt 'Vote ZONEACE' counts as a sentence, I will have to write at least one more obsolete sentence.

Sometimes, you can just look at the horizon and see flying pigs. Did you know that?
Spoon?
Spoon
Spoon
Townie
Spoon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:27 pm

Post by Spoon »

And I obviously voted for ZONEACE because he threw sharp objects at me. That's just evil. Luckily, all but one missed... but I do lack an eye now.

Why would anyone be so unkind for an average Spoon, huh?
Spoon?
shelper
shelper
Moxious
shelper
Moxious
Moxious

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:03 am

Post by shelper »

Random
vote: tigris
Sorry i'm late, i was busy trying to cram all the rules, requirements and creators in a semi-readable excel sheet.

Seeing as coolbot's rule is still mirroring Modargo's rule, i can easily escape all of the other rules by making a small typo right..... Heer.
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:50 am

Post by mlaker »

Vote Count:
God(CoolBot) 1
Zoneace(modargo, Spoon) 2
Spoon(Werebear) 1
Tigris(shelper) 1
Also ZONEACE's rule is illegal but Mr._Gnome_It_All_'s rule is not. Also no multiple rules by one person. If there are multiple rules out there by one person right now I will let them slide but from this moment on no more.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:19 am

Post by modargo »

Well, at least night won't take very long then. After all, it will just be mlaker rolling a die twenty or so times and then sending off the results of what happened :roll:. What fun!

If you can't tell, that was sarcastic. What this game needs is a few more rules that nullify all other rules. Mine only deals with rules that affect posting.

I suggest something along the lines of "Everybody outside the game may ignore any or all rules."

And then, just to be sure, I'd want a few more variations on that, so that changes to the Rules Mirror Zone wouldn't affect anything.
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:44 am

Post by ZONEACE »

Ok im confused can we get a rules recap. Cause with spoons rule and modargos rule and everyone else rule im not sure how long my posts are supposed to be. Anyway it matters not anymore because for my rule, since i get a new one i will take us back to "Sqaure One" (any rule set previous to this one, with an explanation of more than three words is now null and void).
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:14 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

So Zoneace must abide to my rule now?
EnPaceRequiescat
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:15 am

Post by EnPaceRequiescat »

I just got back from a trip.

This is confusing.

@mlaker: are we allowed to repeal a rule we made to make another rule?

random vote: coolbot
for suggesting that the weirdos from another planet are possibly pro town, perhaps directing attention away from them?
freak with short term memory
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:35 pm

Post by mathcam »

Not to be a party-pooper, but maybe we can try to focus on seeing on how we can ferret out the scum and play a succesful game of mafia rather than trying to make it difficult for players to post their thoughts? Posting requirements based on people's usernames? I'm having a hard time distinguishing posts in this game from those in "the bar" or "things I've ingested in the past half hour."

Vote: God
for being one of the first, if not the first, to pursue the username-based posting restrictions.

I'll save my new rule for now, until I can think of some way to make it useful to the town, seeing as how we've already wasted much of our potency.

Cam
God
God
Goon
God
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:46 am

Post by God »

Sorry Mathcam, but mine was meant as a joke. As you said, it was one of the FIRST rules.

But then it was followed by these wonderful ones:
Untrod Tripod wrote: My idea is that when someone makes an impossible rule, they must speak for the rest of the day in song (rhyming) form.
However, two occurances of an illegal rule will limit their posts to six a day.
Ouch; Three occurances of an illegal rule result in the person not being allowed to post all day.
Mr. Gnome It All wrote:
Grip of Chaos:
All night choices will be reselected at random!
bloojay wrote:All those who have 3 or more vowels in their username must refer to themselves and everyone else in the third personform now on. all failure to comply will result in being sent to the Song Zone, whhere you must compose a song including at least 5 words from the previous post.
Spoon wrote:My rule: All players with a name not starting with a capital letter cannot make their posts longer then two sentences
Let's not forget Coolbot's confusing little rule...
CoolBot wrote:New rule: We are now in the Rule Mirror Zone. Thus, if a rule says a certain group must do something, than that group doesn't have do it, but everybody else does.
So maybe if you're going after somebody that needlessly confused the game you should focus on Mr. Gnome it all and his Night Choice restrictions.
"Still looking for one, heh" Dragon Phoenix, inside the 2nd DP9 Modprod.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:18 am

Post by modargo »

I'm all for lynching people who made pointless rules :twisted:.

And mathcam, I've tried to think up what rules could help the town, but everything that would actually help the town for sure would be "unfair". From Mr_Gnome's rule, we know that we can dictate night choices, but a rule like "All mafia and doctor-type roles must target <name>" would be struck down.

I just keep coming back to how any rules that actually become specific enough to do anything also become "unfair". If anyone can think of a way around this, though, go for it!

Oh, and if Mr_Gnome's random night choices rule isn't overruled by something yet, someone really should. Then again, it's not that unlikely for the mafia/SK/whatever to kill each other, but I still don't think it's a good idea to have all choices selected at random.
shelper
shelper
Moxious
shelper
Moxious
Moxious

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:54 am

Post by shelper »

I've been trying to think off a rule that would be helpful to the town but not so much as to overbalance it.

All i've come up with is that just for this day, we can place one player in the safehouse, player decided my majority. This player can not be killed during the night or perform any night actions.
But i still think that's too powerful.

And how do we know Mr. Gnome's night action rule was accepted?
I would like mlaker to come forward and state what things we can and can not influence by the rules, though that would ruin the entire purpose of calvinball's randomness.

bah!
CoolBot
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:54 am

Post by CoolBot »

Well, gee, my rule was just son I wouldn't have to type in pig latin or any of those other rediculas rules. After all, this is Calvin Ball; if you don't like a rule, just make a new one that counteracts it.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:47 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

I was trying to prevent people from making ridiculous rules, like Mr Gnome It All did.
I'm suspicious of him for making what I view as an anti-vig/anti-doc role. To tell the truth, the only person that it would not hurt would be an SK.

vote Mr Gnome It All
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:55 am

Post by ZONEACE »

tripod makes a very good point about MGIA's rule the only person it is good for is the SK which is bad for the town.

vote MGIA
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:57 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

Ok, here's how it seems to me: About half of us still have our rules. mlaker has not said yet what the result of breaking rules is, but the way that the rules currently work modargo's rule absolves us from having to do anything ridiculous provided we post intelligently.

For those who are wondering...
mlaker wrote:Also ZONEACE's rule is illegal but Mr._Gnome_It_All_'s rule is not.
Crap, that means the mafia don't have to tell us who they are and all of our night choices are random. Playing devil's advocate, cop-type roles are helped somewhat by this, as they still get an investigation but have some amount of protection if they appear. Also, considering that many of us still have our rule, it would not be too difficult to repeal it.

I've been thinking it might be a good idea to make it illegal to vote for someone who is one vote away from a lynch unless he remains in that condition for 48 hours. This could prevent speed lynches. I'm not making my rule yet though, because I don't want to use it unless I'm sure that I'm making the best use possible.
EnPaceRequiescat
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:25 pm

Post by EnPaceRequiescat »

I like Tripod's reasoning.

therefore, I
unvote coolbot, vote gnome

@shelper: your proposed rule is more like us getting another doc protection, which is probably, as you said, too powerful. Maybe someone should just make another rule that gets people to compose poems about their role under the mirror rule? Or we could use your rule, and include that the doc isnt' allowed to protect that night either? Perhaps that could help.
freak with short term memory
Tigris
Tigris
Goon
Tigris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:11 pm

Post by Tigris »

I'm quite tempted to make a rule that would state 'All rules must be strictly abided by, save for coolbot's rule.' This would essentially nullify every rule made thus far, except of course coolbots.

The major flaw that I see in the gnomes rule is one largely of semantics. It states that all night choices must be randomly reselected; however it does not state by whom or how often. Thus a mafia could randomly reselect, oh say 30 times and still choose the target that they wish to. Essentially the rule is too deeply flawed to have any impact, imo. Oh and just in case people think this post has three sentences which are grammatically correct, that's incorrect, I'm an English major, so while I dislike obvious errors, I slipped enough minor ones so that modargo's rule applies to me as none of these sentences are completely correct. ^_^ Sorry about babbling however, this is fun for me ^_^.
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:15 am

Post by Werebear »

In the real C&H, noone had to deal with paradoxes. Dear Mod, how are we to deal with them here? If I make a rule that noone's rules affect me, and someone else makes a rule that all rules affect everyone, do they affect me or not?
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:55 am

Post by PolarBoy »

I thought the mirror zone rule only applied to determining which group of
people
was selected, not what actually happens. Also, assuming I'm wrong about that, your rule is self-nullifying, and therefore paradoxical.

Does anybody get the feeling that we're being played by mlaker? Do we know what the penalties are for not following the rules? Are any of these rules even defined well enough that they can be reasonably followed?

Vote: Tigris
pretty much randomly.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:57 am

Post by PolarBoy »

er...the first part of that post, the part that was all written in second person, was directed at Tigris.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”