Team Mafia General Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

I would be interested in joining a group under the condiditon I dont have to play a theme.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Zoraster - will you be keeping us informed as teams register with you? I'd be interested in seeing a running tally of how many full / 3/4ths full teams arrive quickly.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Post by zoraster »

MagnaofIllusion wrote:Zoraster - will you be keeping us informed as teams register with you? I'd be interested in seeing a running tally of how many full / 3/4ths full teams arrive quickly.
Yeah this is a good idea. I won't be revealing who's in those teams yet as we're not sure we're going to disclose teams at all (in fact we're leaning against it), but keeping a list of teams that have pre-inned with full teams is a good idea. At the moment, I've only gotten one team that's pre-inned. I added a count on the front page.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say that I won't start the Team Mafia games until May 15th
at the earliest
. That should give players a little more certainty when forming their teams. I may start sign-ups and even the draft section of PYP before that point, but the games themselves won't start before May 15th.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

zoraster wrote: Yeah this is a good idea. I won't be revealing who's in those teams yet as we're not sure we're going to disclose teams at all (in fact we're leaning against it), but keeping a list of teams that have pre-inned with full teams is a good idea. At the moment, I've only gotten one team that's pre-inned. I added a count on the front page.
I agree 100% with no team disclosure. Rather than risk some sort of schenanigans it's better to play it safe.

I'm very interested in seeing this play out and find who the Top teams eventually are. Great idea Zor!!
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Post by Iecerint »

Someone contacted me about this. I'm interested.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Post by zoraster »

MagnaofIllusion wrote:
zoraster wrote: Yeah this is a good idea. I won't be revealing who's in those teams yet as we're not sure we're going to disclose teams at all (in fact we're leaning against it), but keeping a list of teams that have pre-inned with full teams is a good idea. At the moment, I've only gotten one team that's pre-inned. I added a count on the front page.
I agree 100% with no team disclosure. Rather than risk some sort of schenanigans it's better to play it safe.

I'm very interested in seeing this play out and find who the Top teams eventually are. Great idea Zor!!
Thanks! I'm excited to see it play out. We're up to 3 teams now.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Kise wrote:I wonder if I can get Fate and Nero on a team..
I rather NOT listen to yelling and screaming.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Post by Hoopla »

zoraster wrote:
Selecting The Player To Go In Each Game

Before the games start, your team will be given three role PMs, one for each of the games except PYP. Your team must decide which player will go into which game, and PM Zoraster with this information.

Players in PYP will start without a role as normal (the draft is part of the game).
That isn't normal. Players are given an alignment to begin with prior to the draft. The draft is there to determine which abilities (if any) get added to your role. Scum get to coordinate pregame to sync/organize their draft picks, and then their role choices.

~~

Also, I don't think your scoring system is staggered very well. A town perfect win is incredibly rare in comparison to a perfect scum win. I'd rethink that if I were you. I'm not sure if you want to have such large gaps in the levels of points too, as this tampers with game dynamics somewhat, making bussing increasingly less attractive. I suppose that might be some of the appeal though?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Post by RayFrost »

This is relevant to my interests.
don't you feel silly now?
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Post by Andrius »

Would be interested, but don't want to make too many promises for the summer as I'll be gone a week plus. :/
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Post by Katsuki »

xRECKONERx wrote:I was gonna get the CLA together for this.
Then I realized... I retired. :(
RECK

THIS CAN BE YOUR GRAND FINALE

GO OUT WITH A BANG, NOT A WHIMPER!
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Yeah, at the rate it's "moving," Lover's Mafia is going to be his last game.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Post by Zdenek »

I'd be happy to join a team with anyone who needs a fourth.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:12 am

Post by iamausername »

zoraster wrote:I won't be revealing who's in those teams yet as we're not sure we're going to disclose teams at all (in fact we're leaning against it)
Just saw this. I don't know if it will affect this decision anyway, but I'll point out that some people will know something about the makeup of other teams either way, due to being courted by multiple teams. I know this for a fact. But maybe that's part of the game.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:11 am

Post by zoraster »

Yeah I just meant there won't be a role pm for PYP. I can provide alignment info to the team to make their selection, but not role information. Anyway, we're reevaluating points. I'll be honest and say the points as they are now never thrilled me. I welcome suggestions for the points. I'm going to keep the +/- points for winning/losing lylo, the negative points for replacement, on-going game discussion, and modkill/force replacement, but the "meat" of the point system is certainly up in the air. I could go with a binary system (something like +8 for winning), but I'd love to get at least some reward for a bigger victory. The points don't have to be the exact same for each subgame, but they do need to be very close, and the expected value should be the same.
Hoopla wrote:
zoraster wrote:
Selecting The Player To Go In Each Game

Before the games start, your team will be given three role PMs, one for each of the games except PYP. Your team must decide which player will go into which game, and PM Zoraster with this information.

Players in PYP will start without a role as normal (the draft is part of the game).
That isn't normal. Players are given an alignment to begin with prior to the draft. The draft is there to determine which abilities (if any) get added to your role. Scum get to coordinate pregame to sync/organize their draft picks, and then their role choices.

~~

Also, I don't think your scoring system is staggered very well. A town perfect win is incredibly rare in comparison to a perfect scum win. I'd rethink that if I were you. I'm not sure if you want to have such large gaps in the levels of points too, as this tampers with game dynamics somewhat, making bussing increasingly less attractive. I suppose that might be some of the appeal though?
Last edited by zoraster on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 am

Post by zoraster »

iamausername wrote:
zoraster wrote:I won't be revealing who's in those teams yet as we're not sure we're going to disclose teams at all (in fact we're leaning against it)
Just saw this. I don't know if it will affect this decision anyway, but I'll point out that some people will know something about the makeup of other teams either way, due to being courted by multiple teams. I know this for a fact. But maybe that's part of the game.
Yeah. We don't plan on forbidding any team from revealing their identities or anything. It's just that we, the mods, won't do it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 am

Post by Vi »

*totally not reading the thread*
zoraster, when do you think this will begin?
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:24 am

Post by zoraster »

Vi wrote:*totally not reading the thread*
zoraster, when do you think this will begin?
May 15th or later for the actual game starts. Possibly a bit earlier for the pre-game stuff (sign-ups, role selection, etc)
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 am

Post by GreyICE »

zoraster wrote:Yeah I just meant there won't be a role pm for PYP. I can provide alignment info to the team to make their selection, but not role information. Anyway, we're reevaluating points. I'll be honest and say the points as they are now never thrilled me. I welcome suggestions for the points. I'm going to keep the +/- points for winning/losing lylo, the negative points for replacement, on-going game discussion, and modkill/force replacement, but the "meat" of the point system is certainly up in the air. I could go with a binary system (something like +8 for winning), but I'd love to get at least some reward for a bigger victory. The points don't have to be the exact same for each subgame, but they do need to be very close, and the expected value should be the same.
+10 for winning

Adjustments (note: adjustments only apply if the team won)
TOWN

-1 for each mislynch
-2 for 3 man LyLo
+3 for "flawless victory" (no mislynches)

SCUM

-1 for each team member lynched
-2 for 3 man LyLo
+2 for intact team

OTHER (METAGAMING HO):
+1 point for each scum lynch the team member was on the wagon for

+1 point for each town lynch the team member was on the wagon for

I really like the last two btw, as it should add some major WIFOM, and really reward scum and town players who are proactive in getting lynches, rather than tag alongs and "lurked my way to victory."
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 am

Post by zoraster »

I'm not crazy about points for mislynches or having a teammate lynched. First, it doesn't really solve the problem that's been brought up with my system (namely that it provides incentive to play differently). Second, it's not really even. A town win might have three mislynches, and almost always has at least one mislynch. A scum win, at most, will have two team members lynched, and -- as has been pointed out -- a perfect scum win is a lot more common than a perfect town win.

I'm not sure what you mean by the colored points.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 am

Post by GreyICE »

Well that was kind of off the cuff. Maybe -1 for each mislynch after the first for the town? And I thought the 3/2 reflected the difference. BTW, the "perfect scum win" happens most often when there's a sea of really bad players and you get good players pulling scum - something like a DDD/UK/x scumteam in a town full of nimnuts. I don't think I've ever seen a perfect scum win where the town didn't just make me kinda flinch at the player list. I'm sure this is my cue to be linked to something, but I'll stand by it. I don't anticipate either happening in any of these games unless Dramonic reuses fates mafia.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 am

Post by zoraster »

what did you mean by your colored suggestion?

My biggest problem is kind of that I'm trying to guess at things I don't really know.

Can anyone who's better with calculations tell me what the chances are that two or more teams will have the highest points and have same point total in the following scenario:
1. Win rate is 50/50 for all four games
2. There are 10 town and 3 scum in each game
3. Teams are assigned roles randomly (duh).
4. Points for winning as scum and town are the same and there are no points gained or lost otherwise.

DDD?

EDITED
Last edited by zoraster on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:56 am

Post by iamausername »

GreyICE wrote:BTW, the "perfect scum win" happens most often when there's a sea of really bad players and you get good players pulling scum - something like a DDD/UK/x scumteam in a town full of nimnuts. I don't think I've ever seen a perfect scum win where the town didn't just make me kinda flinch at the player list.
I'm sure this is my cue to be linked to something
, but I'll stand by it.
yep
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:58 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

zoraster, am I right in guessing that your ideal scoring system is one where the optimal play is exactly the same as it would be if the mini was unconnected to team mafia? I've been doing a bit of finagling on what a good system would look like but I should make sure I'm balancing on the right constraint first. :p
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 am

Post by zoraster »

hitogoroshi wrote:zoraster, am I right in guessing that your ideal scoring system is one where the optimal play is exactly the same as it would be if the mini was unconnected to team mafia? I've been doing a bit of finagling on what a good system would look like but I should make sure I'm balancing on the right constraint first. :p
Yes, although I don't mind a very slight incentive for scum not to bus. (Don't mind=it's fine if there is one although it shouldn't be large, but not that it's necessary at all)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”