dodging posting restrictions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:37 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Seol wrote:
VisMaior wrote:I dont like restrictions in the form of "you cannot post more than 1 post" or something like that. It really is a break for the game. I like the restrictions like this "you have to suck up to a player of your choosing the whole game or be modkilled" or something like that. That generates discussion, instead of stopping it.
Tha'ts really harsh, actually, because it's subjective. Anything which could result in a modkill should really be as objective a measure as possible.
(nods)

Yeah. I had a role where I was the "town debator", and was required to agree with two people, and disagree with two other people. (It later turns out that I was forced to agree with two scum and disagree with two town). The frustrating part was that I wasn't really sure what I could say, because it was rather vauge, so I ended up lurking for much of the game. Finally, one of the scum I had to agree with tried to get me lynched...heh, I've got to say, it was rather amusing trying to defend myself while I could not directly contradict anything my accuser was saying. So late-game, it was rather fun, but for the middle of the game I felt like I was forced mostly lurk so as to avoid agreeing with anything I wasn't supposed to agree with or disagreeing with anything I wasn't supposed to disagree with.

So if you do make a role like that, try to be as specific as possible. Does the person have to agree with the letter of what the person says, or the spirit? Can they agree with the person one post, and then post the exact opposite later in the game, or can they never contradict anything the person says? Ect.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:16 pm

Post by Iammars »

In general, there are different kinds of posting restrictions.

1. Ones that don't allow people to post, or post very little. Alien Mafia @ 'Tings had one (I only remember this because that was the very first game I read), and two games in progress have them (Dragon and Roald Dahl), though I won't be coomenting more on them. These restrictions are annoying, even if they are temporary.

2. Ones that allow you to gain an ability if you follow them. These have a problem of being slightly scummy, as you don't die if you don't follow them, so the town has no mod confirmation about them, but otherwise are fine. These tend to get intresting.

3. Ones that only require you to do one thing per day (or something a certain amount of times). One example of this is my role (English Teacher) in Item Mafia. I HAD to quote twice a day or I would die. (This role also fit into #2, as I could correct people's spelling or grammer five times per day and I got to use two items that night. Kinda easy with sycko in the game)

4. What people usually think of a restriction as, which is something you have to do the entire game. REALLY ANNOYING.

Examples of each to come when I have time.
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:46 pm

Post by VisMaior »

Well, "sucking up" is not necessarily agreeing...

1. this is ok, if it is a penalty for something, I think
2. this is fun
3. this is ok
4. dont do this one
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:53 pm

Post by the silent speaker »

I dunno. In Seuss Mafia I pretended to have a rhyming restriction. That was kinda fun (though damned hard to keep up by day 6 or so).
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:59 pm

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

Iammars wrote: 4. What people usually think of a restriction as, which is something you have to do the entire game. REALLY ANNOYING.

Examples of each to come when I have time.
sry but i have fun when i watch you all have you post restrictions.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0