dodging posting restrictions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Karo
Karo
Townie
Karo
Townie
Townie

dodging posting restrictions

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:45 am

Post by Karo »

I noticed this in a lot of games: Once players have posting restrictions, they tend to creatively find new ways to avoid them.

Most people turn to morse code. On this site this is tolerated. But doesn't it somehow go against the spirit of the rule to morse? Since so many people use it, it's also not innovative enough anymore to let it slide imho. I'd like to hear opinions from you about this. :-)
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:47 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

If I am the mod and a player tries this, he or she is modkilled. Harsh maybe, but fully in the spirit of the game.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:52 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

In one of the 10 or so 'setups' sitting in my documents, that comes up and I would allow it. The player will have to decide to either not post and gather suspicion, or go through the trouble of doing it so he/she can talk.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:52 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

i would make restrictions where they couldnt..

like only one vote and unvote in a post...

and then no double posting when you can only vote.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
BabyJesus
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
Not Helpful!

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:46 am

Post by BabyJesus »

I don't like posting restrictions. You WANT people to participate, making a game mechanic that inhibits that is bad.
:coo:
Back On The List: Fritzler, Pooky
Solo Town winner of Payola Mafia.
Scum's Best Friend: Nightcow
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:55 am

Post by mith »

There *are* posting restrictions that encourage participation, but in general I agree with you.
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:05 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

mith wrote:There *are* posting restrictions that encourage participation, but in general I agree with you.
like my game :)
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:40 am

Post by Thok »

The spirit of posting restrictions should allow a player a chance to be subtle and hide the restriction until needed. I liked Cadmium's restriction in Muppet Mafia-he had a task each day that he had to accomplish in each post in order to become unnightkillable, and he did a decent job of hiding that fact (I didn't realize he was posted restricted until he claim it, and even on rereading it is difficult to determine what his daily post restriction is unless you know what you are looking for).

I'm sort of disappointed that I missed Mostly Mute Mafia, that seemed to be a fun game.

Drat it, now I want to go run a Haiku mafia game.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:52 pm

Post by Mgm »

I was in Mostly Mute Monk. And let me tell you, while fun to play, the 2-word restriction was a pain in the you-know-what...
Show
"Logic is a systematic method to come to the wrong conclusion."
[u][b]Next:[/b] Doctor Who Mafia[/u]
[u]Testimonials about Mgm:[/u]
:shock: - Stoofer
You put me through hell Mgm, my nerves are crushed :/ - Patrick
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:50 pm

Post by MeMe »

Agreed, Mgm. Frustration in every post. Damn Leonidas.

I'd be completely blindsided if I got modkilled for loopholing a restriction. I think that if the mod doesn't give you a list of modkillable offenses in your role PM (or restriction PM) then
not
doing everything in your power to communicate while adhering to the letter of the restriction is just lazy. I think every player has a
duty
to communicate (and therefore participate) to the best of their ability.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:56 pm

Post by Coron »

If I mind you comunicating dispite your restriction I will put something like DO NOT TRY TO LOOPHOLE THIS RESTRICTION OR YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO MODKILL.

But then again, I probably won't ever use that unless it's something as simple as the morse code thing, I like to promote creativity.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Post by Stewie »

The whole point of posting restrictions is to make the player think how to get around it. If you disallow them to get around it, you might aswell not let them post.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:40 pm

Post by AniX »

the best way to avoid posting restrictions is the vote for people and unvote people repeatively, bolding only certain letters, thus spelling words. Its so good, in fact, I'm calling it "AniX's Stolen from the Amish Theory of Posting Restrictions".
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:01 pm

Post by halo freak »

I totally agree with DP, it isn't in the spirt of the game to try and find as many loopholes as you can.
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

*smacks Cadmium with stick for fun*
- Phoebus
Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:13 am

Post by Aelyn »

I'm perfectly OK with looking for loopholes, but I will double-check with the mod that it's OK before using it. If I ask if there's any restrictions other than what (s)he's said, and (s)he says no, I take that as me being allowed to post whatever I want within those rules. I think it really depends on the flavour - if someone's drugged, for instance, it makes sense to be harsh on restrictions, but if they're gagged or have lost their voice, they'd still try to communicate as well as possible despite that.

Basically, I think the thing to do when you have a restriction is to ask the mod whether to obey the letter or the spirit of the rules. If I want a restriction to be obeyed in the spirit, I'll normally put that in the PM, but I can see why others wouldn't.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:07 am

Post by VisMaior »

I dont like restrictions in the form of "you cannot post more than 1 post" or something like that. It really is a break for the game. I like the restrictions like this "you have to suck up to a player of your choosing the whole game or be modkilled" or something like that. That generates discussion, instead of stopping it.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:08 am

Post by Seol »

VisMaior wrote:I dont like restrictions in the form of "you cannot post more than 1 post" or something like that. It really is a break for the game. I like the restrictions like this "you have to suck up to a player of your choosing the whole game or be modkilled" or something like that. That generates discussion, instead of stopping it.
Tha'ts really harsh, actually, because it's subjective. Anything which could result in a modkill should really be as objective a measure as possible.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:07 am

Post by VisMaior »

Tha'ts really harsh, actually, because it's subjective.
Yeam but it still can be fun. I have seen worse... (like "dont be stupid" mafia)
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:37 am

Post by Stewie »

How's "don't be stupid mafia?" harsher than "you can only post once"? Sure, you needed three smart posts per day, and you couldn't say anything stupid (which translated to a very short game :) ) but it's still very linient as opposed to only one post.
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:22 am

Post by the silent speaker »

I think he means harsher in terms of subjectivity. I also think it depends on the nature of the loophole; IIRC in Points Mafia MeMe bought a post restriction that allowed only smilies and got around it by making a cipher of them. (I wasn't in that game, only read it, so I could have any or all details wrong.) As a mod, I would probably have stopped that, because it defeats the whole idea of the restriction, which is to convey what you want by way of the emoticons rather than by what amounts to writing in an emoticon-based font; but if she found a site with twenty million custom smilies and used those, that I would have allowed even if I initially meant for the smilies to be limited to the line under the Fast Reply screen.

Here's a post-restricted role I thought of: the Rising Politician (pro-town). During each game day, he must make at least one statement which is game-related and provably false (phrasing it in the form of a question or an opinion doesn't count, because it is not provably false that such is your opinion at the time of posting) or be modkilled; if he meets the restriction, he is given a doc-protect, a cop investigation, and a vig kill of which he can use any, none, or all as he wishes. Balanced? Unplayable? Thoughts?
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:56 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Sounds very hard to balance, tss, because early in the game it's hard to prove/disprove statements that are false, and would depend on the definition of "game-related" - would "miscounting" a player's # of posts count? How about typing a list of players in the game, and misspelling one person's name? But by the time anybody else knows what's going on, the player's amassed a LOT of power. And if you balance the game assuming this player will be there, what happens when they're nightkilled sheerly by accident N1? Now all of your scum are out of whack...

On the other hand, I agree that posting restrictions designed to *stifle* conversation are less useful than ones which modify/distort conversation.... but I'd probably still modkill someone who evaded the spirit of it (after a warning, depending on the offense). Posting restrictions are very meta, anyway, because the moderator has to make the decision to enforce them, or not...
Retired as of October 2014.
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 am

Post by Iammars »

I like creating posting restrictions that allow the player to talk, but make it hard to, whether I'm the mod or the player in question...
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:13 pm

Post by VisMaior »

I like postrestrictions that are not inherently in the role, instead that are consequences of actions, and can be avoided by careful play.
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:24 pm

Post by halo freak »

I like the idea of the smiles!
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

*smacks Cadmium with stick for fun*
- Phoebus
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Post by Thoth »

BabyJesus wrote:I don't like posting restrictions. You WANT people to participate, making a game mechanic that inhibits that is bad.
I agree completely with this.
Maybe in part because I'm completely unable to follow posting restrictions. I've (unintentionally) broken every one I've had.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”