The Lord of the Rings Mafia - GAME OVER (KABOOM)

gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

I won't bother defending myself from these preposterous accusations by Locke since after all,
I AM GANDALF

My rolename is(get this) Gandalf. I'm so awesomely awesome, no one could possibly believe I'm scum. So at any point, I may declare this in the thread in bold. And I will be like a treestump the rest of the game, only I keep my vote and become a JOAT. Only it's a KH mafia style JOAT, where I can literally do ANYTHING, and it's unlimited-shot. Unfortunately, I can only do three actions each night.
Katy
Katy
Goon
Katy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Post by Katy »

VasudeVa wrote: So, his RQS questionnaire isn't game related. So? Is there such a thing as a scummy questionnaire?
The questionnaire isn't scummy, but like I said, it doesn't really add anything beyond Locke Lamora's original question and because now everyone's going to be talking about the books and the movies and what they like and what's their favorite, it distracts from getting to the point where we really start playing the game and if he's scum, it gives all his scum buddies something really safe to post so they don't draw votes right away.

Seems as good a lead as any for my first vote. Plus he is a wraith. I'm fairly sure those are not good guys.

If everyone really must know, though: I prefer the books, although I like the movies too. My favorite book is Return of the King. I didn't really have a favorite of the movies, although I think I maybe liked the second one best after watching the director's cut. My favorite characters are Gandalf and Eowyn.
I'll never get used to anything. Anybody that does, they might as well be dead.

My Games
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Locke Lamora wrote:Why are people assuming my question was only to get discussion started?
There was another reason?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
WeirdRa
WeirdRa
Townie
WeirdRa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Post by WeirdRa »

VasudeVa wrote:
Katy wrote:Lord of the Rings is pretty much the only thing I'm a fangirl of. I read the Hobbit when I was six and the main trilogy when I was 8-9, and I've read it again multiple times since then. I've seen the animated and the recent movies and I've also read a lot of Tolkien's other works.

Vote: Wraith

While the initial question was a good way to get conversation going, putting it into questions like you did doesn't really add anything new, and encourages people to go into detail about how much they like LOTR instead of starting to play the game.
So, his RQS questionnaire isn't game related. So? Is there such a thing as a scummy questionnaire?
It stems from the belief, I believe, that only scum benefit from an elongated RVS/RQS phase where no actual gameplay is done, thus there is a minimal likelihood for scum to slip in a way that can be pinned on them as scummy for a longer period of time. Since Wraith's questions were just an addendum to LL's initial question, Katy is presumably believing that Wraith didn't actually want to kick-start gameplay and instead is just trying to appear pro-town.

Zwet miller claim is... peculiar. I'm also curious as to if there is any flavor as to why Arwen of all people is a miller. Curious head is curious.

Gandalf is .. Gandalf? That whole claim just smells of bullshit to me, I really want to know what the f*ck he's doing there.

@LL - I have read the hobbit and the three books. No silmarillon or anything.

@Wraith - Books. RotK. I've not seen the 3rd movie for some bizarre reason, so I'll go with Fellowship. Gimli or Boromir.

~A
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

As for Locke's question: Look at the last page of the signup thread, I'm too lazy to quote it.
Wraith's questions:
1. I'm going to be blasphemous here and say the movies. I kind of want Peter Jackson to make a Dune movie too.
2. Return of the King. Only book that has ever made me cry. And I don't mean tear up, I mean literally pouring tears.
3. Two Towers. Helm's Deep is the most epic movie scene evar.
4. You might be able to guess. I'll give you three tries. After that, Legolas, then Gimli, then Aragorn. Yeah, stereotypical, I know.
PEDIT: WeirdRa, I'm being absolutely fucking serious. I know you can't see my SRS FAICE, but believe me, IT IS SRS.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

gandalf5166 wrote:I won't bother defending myself from these preposterous accusations by Locke since after all,
I AM GANDALF

My rolename is(get this) Gandalf. I'm so awesomely awesome, no one could possibly believe I'm scum. So at any point, I may declare this in the thread in bold. And I will be like a treestump the rest of the game, only I keep my vote and become a JOAT. Only it's a KH mafia style JOAT, where I can literally do ANYTHING, and it's unlimited-shot. Unfortunately, I can only do three actions each night.
If you become awesomer afterwards, you're nothing like a treestump. Is there any disadvantage to you saying you're Gandalf?
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
gandalf5166 wrote:I won't bother defending myself from these preposterous accusations by Locke since after all,
I AM GANDALF

If you become awesomer afterwards, you're nothing like a treestump. Is there any disadvantage to you saying you're Gandalf?
Yeah. I have to type it out, gives me carpal tunnel.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

Also, I'm masons with Gwaihir, who is my permanent bodyguard before I claim, and becomes a jailkeeper afterwards.. Unfortunately, part of his role is that he CANNOT claim. :/
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

If you have a role that requires you to lie a lot, it would be appreciated if you happened to change your vote in your next post.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

No vote change here. I am telling so much truth, it hurts my brain.
rewq455
rewq455
Goon
rewq455
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Post by rewq455 »

I realize how off topic this is, but gandalf, what is your avatar of? I keep thinking goblins, but then I realize I am limiting my self to LOTR.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.
Scum who smiles when scum is lynched just led the wagon.

My stats and game links are in my wiki.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

rewq455 wrote:I realize how off topic this is, but gandalf, what is your avatar of? I keep thinking goblins, but then I realize I am limiting my self to LOTR.
No idea. Looks like a goblin to me. I just got it off some random site.
MemoriaEsponia
MemoriaEsponia
Townie
MemoriaEsponia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Post by MemoriaEsponia »

Greetings to those of you I know and have played with before. Too many people to directly name and I don’t have a lot of time tonight.

Welcome to those I don’t. There are several of you I know from reading other games and look forward to playing with directly.

My other head has already posted and managed to mis-post once already. Way to go other self :P

You will be able to distinguish my contributions by the stylized italics.

Responding in a general way to Locke’s and Wraiths question –

I’ve read The Hobbit, The Trilogy and about 75 pages of the Silmarilion until I just couldn’t take it anymore. I did so long ago when the Trilogy was still the seminal work of High fantasy but much less competition to the title existed.

I’ve seen all three Movies but it’s been years. In summary I’m familiar with the material but have lost many of the specific details to the mists of time.

The movies and books each are important in their own way. Second the notion that Glorfindal got screwed in the movies. Aragon is by far my favorite from the series.

On to more important matters –

Katy’s post re: Wraith’s list echoes exactly my thoughts as I was reading on my phone today. It’s filler that really doesn’t serve a significant concrete purpose as Locke’s question had already filled the generic conversation starter role, whether he intended it to or not.

@Zwet re: 35 – Starting off every game with a stupid fake-claim is tiresome to those players actually looking for scum. Don’t waste our time.

To those who don’t know Zwet – he fake-claims in an Anti-Town manner with clockwork regularity. Don’t assume any claim information that comes out of his mouth is in any way true.

Katsuki is playing very early to a developing scum meta that bears watching.

Gandalf aside from the absurdity of your claim (which I assume was in jest) it reminds me very much of ReaperCharlie’s Dumbledore claim in the recent Harry Potter Mafia.

One of you would have already earned my non-RVS vote, but I will have to discuss it with my other self.

Also my lack of time tonight has spared you from significant direct quoting. Don’t get used to that.
Remember the past, remember the 80s and 90s.

MagnaofIllusion and Super Smash Bros. Fan hydra.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

O HAI MOI. MY CLAIM WAS 100% TRUE, UNLIKE RC'S. I THINK HE WAS SCUM THAT GAME? AND COULD YOU LINK TO THAT CLAIM, CAUSE IF YOU'RE GOING TO COMPARE ME TO SCUM I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE COMPARISON TOO.
MemoriaEsponia
MemoriaEsponia
Townie
MemoriaEsponia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Post by MemoriaEsponia »

Can we please stop with the claims already? I don't see the purpose of claiming when the day just started today and no one is in any danger of being lynched. Maybe I can see why zwetchenwasser claimed as it makes sense for a miller to claim very early in the game, but gandalf5166 had absolutely no reason to claim this early whatsoever. None of the votes on him were actually serious and no one expressed intentions on voting him. Let's look at gandalf5166's claim:

- He's Gandalf with flavor saying that he's so awesome that no one could believe he's scum.
- After declaring that, he becomes a Tree Stump with a vote and a JOAT.
- He can do any actions but can only use three actions per Night.
- Said that disadvantage to saying Gandalf is that he has to type the word out.
- Mason with Gwaihir who is his permanent bodyguard until Gandalf claims and he becomes a jailkeeper afterwards, but that Gwaihir cannot claim.

Conclusion: This claim is so unrealistic it hurts, even by a Large Theme standard. My response to his claim:

- I have limited knowledge of the series yet people with half a brain should be smart enough to realize that the flavor definently doesn't look near believeable.
- The point of a Tree Stump is that they live, but lose their votes. A Tree Stump being able to keep his vote after stumping himself doesn't make any sense to me.
- There is no way in hell that he could be able to perform any sorts of actions in here. Gandalf is not God. I also find being able to use three Night Actions per Night incredibly unlikely.
- If your role is that powerful, then I can't see the disadvantage of claiming being that small.
- Once again, this makes no sense to me. You claim an incredibly powerful role yet the disadvantage to claiming is that you have to type out his name. Yet your suppose mason partner is not allowed to claim. Even if you claimed that both were at equal power (Which I've already said doesn't make sense), I still can't see that part being true.

And another thing, if your role is litterally that powerful, then unless every other townie were a Vanilla Townie, this game would be completely broken in favor of the town, not to menton scums would have to be very very strong as well.

I can't see this possibly being a town role, so therefore, I think you are scum.

Unvote, Vote: gandalf5166

Katsuki's #40 is a lot of random nonsense that doesn't add anything to the game. I don't see any purpose on how it can help town in any shape or form.

gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

Lol, it was a joke. Have you ever played with me in a large theme RVS? I always do shit like this. But thanks for ruining my fun. :C My rolename may or may not be Gandalf, but I definitely don't have anything close to the abilities I claimed. Also, tell me how exactly my "role" could be a scum role?
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

gandalf5166 wrote:Lol, it was a joke. Have you ever played with me in a large theme RVS? I always do shit like this. But thanks for ruining my fun. :C My rolename may or may not be Gandalf, but I definitely don't have anything close to the abilities I claimed. Also, tell me how exactly my "role" could be a scum role?
1. No I have not.

2. Not getting a good feeling about the entire post. I don't like how you attempt to dismiss it as a "joke" by your behalf. To me, it looks like scum attempt to get people all rallyed up about an unbelieveable claim and then expect them to drop it as soon as you say it's a joke.

3. The reason why I think that type of role is more likely a scum role then a town role is because scum have less players on their side and therefore are able to have more powerful players to work with without it completely breaking the set-up in their favor.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

That role would completely break the setup for any side. Three vigs a night much? Or three cops? Or three anythings? No mod would ever be stupid enough to put it in a game.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Post by Wraith »

Katy wrote:

While the initial question was a good way to get conversation going, putting it into questions like you did doesn't really add anything new, and encourages people to go into detail about how much they like LOTR instead of starting to play the game.
If this is meant to be a serious vote,
IGMEOY Katy
. People who nitpick early posts and use them to start bandwagons are often scum.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
MemoriaEsponia
MemoriaEsponia
Townie
MemoriaEsponia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Post by MemoriaEsponia »

Need to stop mis-posting and pay attention to what account I'm on.
MemoriaEsponia wrote:
gandalf5166 wrote:Lol, it was a joke. Have you ever played with me in a large theme RVS? I always do shit like this. But thanks for ruining my fun. :C My rolename may or may not be Gandalf, but I definitely don't have anything close to the abilities I claimed. Also, tell me how exactly my "role" could be a scum role?
1. No I have not.

2. Not getting a good feeling about the entire post. I don't like how you attempt to dismiss it as a "joke" by your behalf. To me, it looks like scum attempt to get people all rallyed up about an unbelieveable claim and then expect them to drop it as soon as you say it's a joke.

3. The reason why I think that type of role is more likely a scum role then a town role is because scum have less players on their side and therefore are able to have more powerful players to work with without it completely breaking the set-up in their favor.
gandalf5166 wrote:That role would completely break the setup for any side. Three vigs a night much? Or three cops? Or three anythings? No mod would ever be stupid enough to put it in a game.
I'll agree that the role would be broken on any side, I'm just saying if by some means the mods miraculously managed to have the gut to put such a role in, it would be more of a scum/third-party role.

Wraith wrote:If this is meant to be a serious vote, IGMEOY Katy. People who nitpick early posts and use them to start bandwagons are often scum.
OMGUS reply noted. The attack as a whole is flimsy. I thought that Katy's post had pro-town motivation, even thought I disagree that your RQS post was scummy. Reason being was that she sounds like she was genuinely scum hunting and explained why it was scummy.

Drippereth
Drippereth
Goon
Drippereth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Post by Drippereth »

Hi Everyone.

Who is scum?

Nero Cain
a2rudeboy
molestargazer
Edge

How do I know? I know because they are my scumpals! They're listed in my role PM.
Drippereth
Drippereth
Goon
Drippereth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Post by Drippereth »

If the above wasn't clear enough, I just claimed scum.

Discuss.
SlySly
SlySly
Jack of All Trades
SlySly
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Post by SlySly »

Katy wrote:

Katy brings up the possibility of scummy distraction.
Wraith wrote: If this is meant to be a serious vote,
IGMEOY Katy
. People who nitpick early posts and use them to start bandwagons are often scum.
I read her statement as kind of flavor sucking, fun-deflation, initially, as well. I mean, we play mafia all the time, but this is LOTR mafia and I can see where some LOTR-trekkies might like to get immersed in the flavor a little before venturing into a more serious period of the game.
MemoriaEsponia wrote: OMGUS reply noted. The attack as a whole is flimsy. I thought that Katy's post had pro-town motivation, even thought I disagree that your RQS post was scummy. Reason being was that she sounds like she was genuinely scum hunting and explained why it was scummy.
MemEsp calls OMGUS on Wraith and interprets what I interpreted as just being no fun as actually being scum hunting. That made me look at what Katy was saying again and I saw the distraction point where I initially just saw what I gathered as her just being a bummer. That leads me to question Wraith's motive behind his RQS. At first, I got all caught up in the flavor and didn't think anything at all behind it. I'm still not convinced the whole RQS was anything more than just early game "get to know each other on a LOTR's level" fun, but other than the distraction possibility Katy pointed out, I could see this as being a possible attempt at fake claim role fishing. The likelihood of this is pretty low IMO though.

---------------------
zwetschenwasser wrote:I'm Arwen, a miller for some unknown reason. I've read the books and watched the movies.
vote: gandalf
Claiming miller with the first post of the game seems to be the accepted norm around these parts. I hate the miller role being played that way as that approach has given scum on this site a free pass fake claim with their first post of the game and it also encourages millers to lurk. I have played in games with zwet where he ruined the games for his team as both scum and town with outrageous play or non-participation on his part.

Knowing you have now stated that you will return a guilty on any investigations, I will gladly support your lynch for this claim if a better clearly scum candidate doesn't emerge today as I see the possibility that your are lying being far greater than your claim being true. I will also assume that, since you didn't bother to mention such, you are not a death miller. I would be voting for you now, but I fear it would be based more on my personal bias against you from previous games that I have had to suffer through as a result of your presence than being based on my disbelief of your claim here.

---------------
Drippereth wrote:Hi Everyone.

Who is scum?

Nero Cain
a2rudeboy
molestargazer
Edge

How do I know? I know because they are my scumpals! They're listed in my role PM.
Could anything be scummier than claiming scum with your very first post of a game? In my experience, DGB wackiness has proven to be an inaccurate scum-o-meter. If you are town, please don't try lead the town on a color filled trip of postings through your delusions like you did in Geezer. If you aren't town and are so anxious to share it with everyone, I don't see much choice here.

VOTE: Dripperth
"SlySly is the scummiest player on the site." ~DrippingGoofball
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Post by Glork »

Unvote

VOTE: MemoriaEsporia

Drippereth wrote:If the above wasn't clear enough, I just claimed scum.

Discuss.
There's really nothing to discuss. Anybody could say "I am scum and here are my scumbuddies" during RVS and I sincerely doubt anybody would legit care on ebit.

Now how about you do something useful like hop on an ME wagon.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:41 pm

Post by Glork »

EBWOP: I stand corrected. SlySly, are you playing at being dumbtarded, or do you actually believe there's significance to what Drippeth said either way?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”