Newbie 976 - Game Over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:27 am

Post by DavidParker »

Sigh, I hate this feeling that I have a strong idea who the two scum are but knowing I won't live to see tomorrow because I'm confirm-town.

Anyways,

First scum is gandalf/Arraneus

Vote: Arraneus

I'll let the people in lylo work their magic in finding the last scum (hopefully) as I don't want to lead people in a wrong direction anyways, as I'm often wrong with these things.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:35 am

Post by Aranneas »

DavidParker wrote:Sigh, I hate this feeling that I have a strong idea who the two scum are but knowing I won't live to see tomorrow because I'm confirm-town.
Actually, the logical move for the scum would be to leave both you and ST alone. This creates mistrust; "why did he survive through the night if he's the cop", etc etc, and denies the town information. As has been pointed out, our believing you are town is predicated on our believing ST's cop claim. The logical target at this moment would be Framm, who is as good as confirmed town for everyone.

This is all moot since lynching me today will end the game tonight.
Anyways,

First scum is gandalf/Arraneus

Vote: Arraneus
[
A fair, but unfortunately mistaken, assessment. With the state I've come in at I really don't have a defense for this. All I can say is don't judge too quickly.

And, not to nitpick, but that's an 'a' in my name.
I'll let the people in lylo work their magic in finding the last scum (hopefully) as I don't want to lead people in a wrong direction anyways, as I'm often wrong with these things.
If you're often wrong, why are you so sure of your assesment now?
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:18 am

Post by theperson »

Vote: Aranneas
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 am

Post by Aranneas »

That's... L-1, correct?

Does nobody find the fact that no explanation was given suspicious?

Perhaps we should slow down until everyone's at least had a chance to respond to my presence?
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:23 am

Post by Zorblag »

Vote Count 3.3

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

Aranneas: 4: RazorStar (3), startransmission (6), DavidParker (7), theperson (8)
RazorStar: 1: Framm 18 (1)

Not voting: Aranneas

With 6 players alive it takes 4 to lynch.

Aranneas, Vanilla Townie,
is lynched Day Three.

It is now Night Three. Night actions are due by 2:00 PM EDT/11:00 AM PDT on Thursday, July 29th.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:43 am

Post by Zorblag »

Night Three ends with lightning speed; almost as if there was no reason for it to happen at all.

DavidParker, Vanilla Townie,
was killed Night Three.

That or course leaves just four of you herpetologists left. With wicked grins RazorStar and theperson reveal the summoning diagram/protective circle that they've spent the past three days creating in secrecy. They seem to be standing inside it now.

startransmission and Framm 18 have just enough time to realize what's going on before the pack of Trolls arrive to tear them appart.

startransmission, Cop,
was killed in Endgame.
Framm 18, Vanilla Townie,
was killed in Endgame.

RazorStar, Mafia Goon and theperson, Mafia Roleblocker
win.

Game over. Congratulations Scum.

It is now post game. Everyone is encouraged to share their thoughts. Please remember that this is supposed to be, among other things, a learning experience. Be willing to take constructive criticism of your play and when offering opinions about the play of others be at least civil.

I'll have some thoughts to post in a bit.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:52 am

Post by Aranneas »

Effff.

"Welcome to your first mafiascum game. Enjoy your stay." :p

But hey, can't complain, I volunteered.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:53 am

Post by DavidParker »

meh gg. 2/3 of those were scum. I guessed wrong.

I based my vote on your continued fail logic

ie: "scum would leave me and ST alive tonight"..... when i'm a confirmed townie if we lynched scum today (unless we lynched st, who was scum)

my guess was razorstar/arraneas team but :(

theperson was too much of a mystery, and hadnt gotten a huge scummy read on him, whereas the other 2 were huge scum.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:55 am

Post by Aranneas »

Care to explain the fail logic a bit further? I'm not seeing it and would appreciate any tips you can give.

You're confirmed town to yourself and ST. That leaves another town player who isn't necessarily convinced yet. If they see the self-claimed cop make it through the night, what are they gonna think?
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:57 am

Post by Aranneas »

Also still not getting why you would put me at L-1
when not everyone had even responded to me yet.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:58 am

Post by DavidParker »

ST claimed cop. He claimed I was a VT from his investigations. Therefore, the only way I can be scum is if ST is lying scum, and I am his scum buddy. Even if he is scum, it's likely he could have claimed an actual townie was his investigation.

If we lynched scum (theperson/razorstar) today, there is only 1 scum left. Since there is only 1 scum left, I can no longer be scum. (since I am only scum if ST is scum).

I put you at L-1 because you had subbed into a very scummy slot and hadn't dont much to improve your situation and was ready to get things moving.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:00 am

Post by Aranneas »

DavidParker wrote:ST claimed cop. He claimed I was a VT from his investigations. Therefore, the only way I can be scum is if ST is lying scum, and I am his scum buddy. Even if he is scum, it's likely he could have claimed an actual townie was his investigation.
Or he is lying scum, who played a gambit for camouflage. VT was the most common role in the setup; he had an above-average chance to get it right if he claimed a random townie was vanilla.

May I ask what you would have done to 'improve your situation' in my place?
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am

Post by DavidParker »

not much, as you can see i had already voted gandalf before u even subbed in. somethings can't be ignored once they are already there.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:03 am

Post by theperson »

Yay! My first win. :D

Anyway, gg guys. I was getting nervous when I saw aranneas start to accuse me.

Also, what you guys forgot: I wasn't there at the time of the NS lynch. I couldn't have been on the bandwagon. I was subtly trying to remind people that ST could be scum, because if people decided ST was cop and that aranneas was town, we lose.

I feel really stupid for not picking up on the doctell till DP started wondering about the D1 protection. I just got lucky.

Also, I thought you guys would find it suspicious that I "found" Framm's confirmed towniness about 25 minutes after DP posed the question. I noticed his post about 5 mins after, then quoted posts and had it.

I was sure RazorStar would be lynched D3...

EBWOP (preview): I'm pretty sure you don't get roles as cop. Just pro-town or anti-town.

Am I allowed to post the QT or does the mod have to?

So yeah, Framm was attempted NK N1. Then we knew he wasn't doc so we didn't try again N2.

Also Aranneas, sorry for making you read through a whole thread just to be killed in a day... :P
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:04 am

Post by theperson »

EBWOP: Only that line is supposed to be EBWOP. I just misplaced it.
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Friend »

Good job to theperson. I thought you guys were FORSURE going to lynch razorstar after that hammer, I mean come on now.

Sorry, NS!

I thought it was ST/RazorStar for sure though. Anyways, nice game all, thanks Zorblag!

Any tips on how I could have improved?
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:13 am

Post by Aranneas »

DavidParker wrote:ST claimed cop. He claimed I was a VT from his investigations. Therefore, the only way I can be scum is if ST is lying scum, and I am his scum buddy. Even if he is scum, it's likely he could have claimed an actual townie was his investigation.

If we lynched scum (theperson/razorstar) today, there is only 1 scum left. Since there is only 1 scum left, I can no longer be scum. (since I am only scum if ST is scum).

I put you at L-1 because you had subbed into a very scummy slot and hadn't dont much to improve your situation and was ready to get things moving.
DavidParker wrote:not much, as you can see i had already voted gandalf before u even subbed in. somethings can't be ignored once they are already there.
Hang on... the way I read this is that you were going to push to lynch my slot, no matter what other points might have presented themselves that day?
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:19 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Nobody Special wrote:I'm telling you: Friend and ST.

Mark my words.
Witness my
massive
fail.

I think I'll just go stand in the corner.

Sorry, Town. I failed completely.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:20 am

Post by theperson »

Friend, you played a great game. I guess you could have not defended Framm as much (though that's not why I NKed you, I just got lucky), although it did end up benefiting town (even though I was the one that pointed it out). You should check zorblag's notes when he posts them because the mods watch the game from an unbiased perspective (I think?), and are typically experienced players.

I also thought they were going to lynch RazorStar, and so did RazorStar.

I think I'm allowed to post the quicktopic, so here it is: http://www.quicktopic.com/44/H/sCwvUbiKutrUs

It's not that much of a fail, NS, because I was gone almost all of day 1.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:26 am

Post by Zorblag »

Actions:
Night One:
startransmission (cop) investigates DavidParker (innocent)
Friend (doctor) protects Framm 18
Koch (goon) kills Framm 18 (blocked by Friend)
theperson (roleblocker) blocks Aspen

Night Two:
startransmission (cop) investigates Friend (blocked by theperson)
Friend (doctor) protects Framm 18
RazorStar (goon) kills Friend
theperson (roleblocker) blocks startransmission

Night Three:
theperson (roleblocker) kills DavidParker (and night ends early as any kill submission wins)

So the scum got away with lurking (or just not being around thanks to theperson's V/LA on day one) a fair amount this game. Town was working with the assumption that at least one scum should be on the first days lynch but neither Koch nor theperson had been all that active and both had managed to stay off of it. I think that set up a hard assumption for town to work around.

The replacements also made things harder for town that it would otherwise have been. Scum played a fine game but they were clearly assisted by overall participation levels.

@Nobody Special, you probably could have stuck to your guns about more things. Your willingness to back off on a couple issues when Friend in particular was pressing you probably led as much as anything to people thinking that you were scummy. I don't think it's that much of a scum tell myself but standing your ground probably could have helped you out in the eyes of the town. It's interesting that your reads on scum at the end of day one happened to be exactly the town power roles. I think that probably helped them stay alive as the scum weren't that interested in going after the people a confirmed townie had just called scum (and on the whole the town power roles were pretty effective night one.)

@0x1de you weren't in the game for that long, your play looked fine except for the assumption that the day one wagon must have had scum (but I think alot of people would use that as a working suggestion day two.)

@Friend, your play was really pretty good. I guess it would help to be aware that just because someone crumbles some under pressure (Nobody Special in this case) doesn't mean that they're scum. I think that reactions under pressure are much more a personality thing than an alignment thing. I guess you also gave theperson town credit for a fairly small body of play but that's a tough call to make when you don't have much to work with. On the whole I'd keep doing what you're doing.

@Aranneas, I liked your entrance a fair amount. You got lynched before you had a chance to say much and DavidParker jumped on a couple things that you didn't have figured out right away from a first read through but he was tunneling at that point; it's not reasonable to expect a new player to catch all the nuances of a game immediately. Given more time in a game and I think you'll do well here.

@DavidParker, you're making a couple assumptions about what is and isn't scummy that I don't love but I think that'll shake itself out with experience. I was surprised that you didn't go for the idea of lynching RazorStar first when Aranneas brought it up but I thought RazorStar's hammer day two was scummier than the flaking gandalf5166 did in the game. Had gandalf5166 not replaced it might have changed my opinions but when he disappears the lurking becomes closer to a null tell and the scumminess of the hammer looms larger.

@startransmission, I would have been pretty suspicious of you for active lurking that first day if I was in the game. I realize you were busy but too many of your posts were to say that you'd have content coming later. If scum can get away with that they've got every reason to (whereas town should have every reason to get in and post about the game.) I also think that your claim came a bit earlier than it needed to but you weathered the suspicion from that so so be it. At least it was useful to have an essentially confirmed townie in the eyes of the rest of the town.

@Framm 18, you must have played a fine game. You drew the night kill and doctor protection the first night so both town and scum thought you looked town. It felt like you were active and trying to figure things out. I'd say keep it up.

@theperson, you also played a fine game. That early V/LA helped a lot but you stayed under the radar very well and managed to get some town reads with pretty limited posting. The scum night decisions looked like fine ones to me.

@RazorStar, I liked the activity that you put in once you replaced. Your hammer was pretty susupicious but that's probably fine in a day two situation with a revealed cop like you had here. A mislynch was probably worth the suspicion you pulled in (especially in the goon slot) given the overall state of the game. In the future I'd probably recommend sticking to opinions a bit more as people think that consistency is a town tell and inconsistency is a scum tell (they oversimplify but you want to play to expectations to some degree.)

Thank you all for playing in the game! Hopefully you enjoyed it. I'd be happy to play with or mod any of you again. Best of luck in your games from here on out!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:33 am

Post by Zorblag »

Aranneas wrote:Or he is lying scum, who played a gambit for camouflage. VT was the most common role in the setup; he had an above-average chance to get it right if he claimed a random townie was vanilla.
theperson has this right in his response to it a bit later. Cops only get alignment (innocent or guilty in this case) rather than roles. There are games with role cops (but the trend here at Mafia Scum is for them to be scum as often as town at this point.)

@theperson, sharing the quick topic is fine. I leave the decision whether or not to do that up to the scum team in newbie games. I prefer if it's shared but it's up to them.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:41 am

Post by theperson »

Yeah, that V/LA did help a lot.

NS, I see what you're saying now that Zorblag said it. I didn't realize that both of the people you targeted were power roles...It did help them survive N1 though.

About the quicktopic: OK. I doubt RazorStar will mind.
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 am

Post by Framm 18 »

Zorblag wrote:@Framm 18, you must have played a fine game. You drew the night kill and doctor protection the first night so both town and scum thought you looked town. It felt like you were active and trying to figure things out. I'd say keep it up.
Thanks and it seems that even on here, I will be a magnet for night actions. :roll:
A couple of my suspicious post were because I was trying to make a post in the time requirement and I could not think of anything to say.

I still have to get used to how it is played on here. I play on a site call MafiaManiac and it is nearly a completely different game. Time limit and roles are really different so I hope that I can get used to it.

I cannot believe that RazorStar was not lynched, I should have pushed it a little harder for that, though.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:56 am

Post by theperson »

Yeah, I was preparing to try to lynch gandalf D4 when D3 started. :P
RazorStar
RazorStar
Townie
RazorStar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 am

Post by RazorStar »

Whoa wait, we won? That's a surprise, I thought I blew it for sure on the second day, still it was a lot of fun and a lot of pressure. Thanks for being a good scum buddy theperson. I don't mind at all that the quick topic was posted, it's good learning experience for everyone and it'll make it that much more fun in the future. Seriously, we got so lucky here. Thank you all for an excellent game, I haven't played mafia like this before so it was a good experience.
Warning: Opinions are included, keep out of reach from small children.

Record W-L-T
Mafia 1-0-0
Town 0-0-0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”