Newbie 965 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Post by AGar »

Big post of thoughts:

First of all, thanks to Jeffcole. Awesome mod, very fun game :D It was good having an active mod who cared about the game.

Second, this was one of the most enjoyable games I've played because we had literally one slot need replacing. Activity wasn't ever at deathly lows. Right up there with my first game in terms of enjoyment levels.

Third, I would like to talk a bit about my playstyle, since that is what drew me so much heat and I had to play somewhat cautiously later on in the game. In newbie games, I've found that as I play more and more, if I put 110% into D1, I usually end up getting killed N1. Thus, in order to propel myself into later stages of the game, I purposely play a bit on the anti-town side on D1. The reason being is that most newbies can't differentiate between anti-town and pro-scum that early, (and since I'm not an IC, I don't have to explain it :P ) and thus one or two will usually make mention of my "scumminess" and maybe cast a vote or two my way. At the very least, I get an inordinate amount of FoSes. This generally gives me the advantage that scum will usually stray away from me for the NK on Night 1 and go towards either the IC or a very pro-town newbie, and I will have at least Day 2 to work with, and maybe even later days. Sometimes this backfires on me, but not too often, and it usually happens in a lylo situation.. I've only been lynched before D3 once in a Newbie Game, and I wasn't really at fault for that one (replaced into a heavy lurking spot that I couldn't recover from). This game was the first game where my anti-town behavior was minimized content on D1, and it actually wasn't intentional. I had forgotten I took on a game, got caught up in the World Cup and some other things, but NS consistently pressing at me definitely played into my advantage. Usually my tactic is to be wildly aggressive on D1.

Fourth, player by player protips, something I like to do at the end of each game. I'll go in order of lynch/kills

Mallow - You definitely seemed to hit a steep learning curve in this game, at least towards how MafiaScum plays mafia. Your undoing was, in my eyes, a combination of that and a few posts that made you seem a slight bit anti-town. I think the best thing for you is more experience in games, reading up on the wiki a bit more and just refining your play overall.

Uite - You were painfully obvious town D1, and I was not shocked at all to see you die on N1. It's a shame, because you were definitely a strong pro-town player. If anything, I would mention you tunneled a bit on mallow, but that honestly wasn't a hard point against you, because you did do everything right. The only benefit the town would have gotten was knowing some of your feelings on other players in later days to maybe analyze other reasons for your nightkill.

DavidParker - Hmm. Where to start... I'll keep this short. You really shouldn't claim like you did. If you're a VT and you're about to get lynched, say you're a VT. It doesn't save your ass, but we don't then need to worry about policy lynching you on a later day. If you die as a VT, you don't The move was well thought, but just not a good move in the end. Be a little less aggressive, and a little less emotional in the game and you'll find yourself starting to get more and more comfortable in the games and find yourself getting better. And maybe a sliver less on the cocky side.

Thor - Thor, man, you need no advice from me :P We've played together before, I've seen you play, you're still just as obvtown :P Find a way to become NK immune? :P Seriously, solid play coming in for a semi-tough spot to be in.

Wraith - You did well avoiding the lynch for 2 days, although you did leave enough for me to catch on early on. My advice is don't get on your heels as soon as the attention starts coming your way. If you're scum, stay cool, calm and try and weasel your way out by "scum-hunting" another player or two. Give the town other options. Fueling the mislynch on Mallow worked well, but once we got the DP policy lynch out of the way, you were next in my sights.

Me - I suck.

quadz - I was able to read you because of your interactions with Wraith. They were sparse, and when they were, there was a bit of buddying. You did well to try and distance him, but what gave your roles away to me was when I asked you two to provide the cases on each other. Wraith had no problem going full force on you, but you held back on him. I knew from there that he was the more powerful of the two mafiosos and that you were likely just the goon. Maybe just get a bit more aggressive when you need to, there were times where you seemed too content to sit back and let things play out, ultimately dropping a few scumtells.

Silverbullet - Solid game. You were a bit unrefined in some of your posts, and you had a few moments where I read it twice before I decided it was a null-tell, but otherwise, solid pro-town material from you.

NS - Good game, glad to see I was right in not buying into the IC tell :P. I've honestly never been in your position to cast the deciding vote in LYLO, but you handled it well and you did great. Good work as an IC. Looking forward to more games in the future.

GG guys, feel free to ask me anything about the game.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Post by quadz08 »

So basically you're saying that I need to be more aggressive? I know I didn't play well at first, and I realized around Day 3-ish that I had been too obviously avoiding Wraith. I was pretty sure that I wasn't gonna make it out of Day 4 haha. How would you have played Night 3 and Day 4 in my situation?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:36 am

Post by silverbullet999 »

Good thoughts Agar, I liked the part about yourself lol.

Quadz could you post a link to your quicktopic between you and wraith here? (Your allowed to and I would really enjoy reading it, I like seeing the dark side of people heheh)
... People were right it seems....
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:37 am

Post by quadz08 »

We just PM'd each other during the night phase.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 am

oh.... damn lol
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:52 am

wanna post the pms? : P
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:19 am

Post by AGar »

quadz08 wrote:So basically you're saying that I need to be more aggressive? I know I didn't play well at first, and I realized around Day 3-ish that I had been too obviously avoiding Wraith. I was pretty sure that I wasn't gonna make it out of Day 4 haha. How would you have played Night 3 and Day 4 in my situation?
If you had been more forceful in your case on Wraith, I might not have picked up on the roles. If you're a bit more aggressive in the sense that you call people out for slips and mistakes and try and at least apply pressure to people and get involved, then you're less likely to be found scummy, in my opinion. At least, there will be other people to go after until that happens. I honestly would have killed SB in night 3, in your shoes. But that's because NS still had hints of suspicion of me. Also, you wouldn't have known this, but I had some slight suspicion of NS as well. Day 4, I would have sat back and withheld my vote at first, looked to see if either player cross-voted. After that I would have pushed my suspicions on one player and tried to convince the other that I was right and the other was wrong.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Post by quadz08 »

Honestly, I killed you because you seemed to have a much better handle on what was happening. You just seemed to be a stronger/smarter player.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:47 am

Post by quadz08 »

@silver: crap, I meant to post them and forgot, and I just deleted them. Maybe Wraith has them still?
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Post by Wraith »

Night 1
Wraith wrote:Okay, I've got a bone to pick with your actions on Day 1:

1. Next time you get a chance to hammer someone, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you'd hammer'd DP when you had the chance not only would the town be short their cop but we would not be the top suspects

2. Stop trying too hard to sit on the fence. Even I could see it. I had to take a shitload of heat to save your ass and it almost got me killed.

Night Actions:

I'll roleblock DP (he'll be invincible without a dead doctor). As for the NK, I'd say either Uite, silverbullet, or Beefster. If we touch anyone who accused me I think that'll be a guaranteed death for me tomorrow. Look through the posts and see if you can spot the doctor. At this point I'm leaning toward Uite being the doctor.

Day Strategizing:

One of us is dead tomorrow unless some miracle is pulled off, and it's probably me, very fast. You need to put some extra distance between me and yourself. If it looks like I'm going down, I'll try to make it blatant that I'm buddying up to you in the bad guy way. If it's abundantly clear that I'm not getting out of that lynch (and vice versa), such as 4 votes on me and no one else close, you or me need to hammer. Seriously though, if there is a L-1 on someone and it won't look totally evil to hammer (such as if no one's called a halt to voting) then HAMMER.
quadz08 wrote:That's fair, my friend. I wasn't playing well at the beginning, you're right. I think if I'd hammered DP, I would've been dead reeeeeal quick tomorrow. I just think quicklynching someone is a dangerous move. And I'm not gonna sit on the fence near as much anymore; I realize that it was dumb of me.

However, I have issue with some of what you did today, too. You're being like I was at the beginning of the day: very defensive. I learned this lesson fast, we can't react to everything, and, in fact, reacting to everything is not smart and looks suspicious. Tomorrow, try to be less defensive. I think it'll help.

The ideal situation tomorrow is that someone else gets lynched, but you're right, it's unlikely. If we CAN, it would be best if I got lynched, over you, since you're the roleblocker. If the heat comes down on you again, scumhunt like mad, and make sure that I'm one of the people you examine. I'd much rather me be dead and have a living roleblocker who played a part in my death, than have a dead roleblocker.

Do we agree that on L-1 situations on one of us, the other one hammers? I think there should be a little bit of flexibility on that (if it's the very beginning, I don't want one of us to be accused of a quicklynch, for example).

As to Night actions, I pretty much agree with you. We're roleblocking DP, and killing somebody who fulfills a majority of these requirements (in order of importance):
a) hardcore townie, it'll be next to impossible to get them lynched
b) didn't suspect you
c) suspected someone else who's alive pretty heavily
d) didn't suspect me
e) may be the doctor

If we do manage to nightkill the doctor, we just saved ourselves a shitload of trouble. And it's a 20% shot; it's doable, I think. We should look through the thread a couple of times, and see who we think matches up. Lemme know if you disagree with anything I said haha.
Wraith wrote:Day Actions:

Bussing should only be applicable if it's abundantly clear that the lynchee has no hope. For example, bussing would have been the wrong thing to do at the finale of Day 1 there, because there was still a good possibility for the votes to shift to mallow. If the votes are more like 4 on Wraith, 1 on Quadz, 1 on DP, then wait a few posts (not too much) to see if there's the slightest chance of a momentum shift, and if there isn't then bus.

There are two possibilities for tomorrow. Either they immediately pile on to me, or I give a successfully persuasive argument that I was just reckless/mallow just played a bad game (which he did). I'm going to lurk for the first few pages/posts of Day 2 so I can try to get the heat off me. Second possibility is a flaming suspicion of DP, which is certainly possible given Uite's suspicion of DP and DP being roleblocked. Look at sveral posts (especially Uite's) and bring up his suspicion of Uite. Subtly, don't draw heat onto yourself (tunnelling, as they call it). Also cite his final hammer of mallow. Whatever you do, don't defend me because that's an immediate red flag.

I did play a really bad defense game after DP's first accusation. This is the first game I've played scum against a competent (if insane) town, so I don't really know how to defend myself. I say insane because my case against mallow was eight times better than DP's but they still bought DP's.

Night:

a. Uite is pretty firmly seen as town by everyone
b. He didn't suspect me, he was with me on mallow
c. He was pretty suspicious of DP and stated that
d. He didn't suspect you at all as far as I saw
e. Uite is currently the one I most think is the doctor. I doubt we'll get him tonight, though
quadz08 wrote:Day Actions:

The stuff you mentioned about bussing makes sense, and I agree.

Also, Uite should be the kill tonight, I think. Do we choose someone to actually make the kill? If so, I think it should be me; it's better for us if I'm discovered as mafia (in the unlikely case DP isn't the cop).

I definitely agree with you staying in the background for a while. Make sure you're still posting, so nobody can get on you for lurking, but make it minimal. I'll try to bring up the fact that both mallow and Uite seemed to be pretty well against DP, and I'll do my best to be careful about it.

Also, just as I won't defend you, you shouldn't defend me. We're playing in a delicate balance, as I'm sure you know.

At the end of the day, I think DP was being given an undue amount of respect from the town. When he can't produce anything tomorrow, that should begin to dissipate, I hope. That should make a case against him easier.

One thing we need to talk about and prepare for is this: what if DP lies about finding someone? I think it's possible. He could pick someone like silver, who's probably town but could go either way, and call him town. (If he calls him mafia, well, that's good for us. We'll just run with that.) If he does make something up and call town on someone, what's our strategy?
Wraith wrote:TBH I don't think he'll risk it. But if he does, there's nothing we can do blatantly. We'll have to make him slip up, make him scumhunt that person or something.

When you're ready, send the mod our actions:

Wraith roleblocks DavidParker, Quadz kills Uite
Going to put up Night 2 PMs next post, then my thoughts.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Post by Wraith »

quadz08 wrote:That worked out rather nicely, didn't it?

I think we should kill Thor, but I'm definitely open to discussion/other suggestions.

Also, the mod called DP a townie. Does that mean he's vanilla? Or just town-aligned?
Wraith wrote:DP was a VT. He lied about his cop claim anyway! XD SO GOLDEN! However TBH I really did think he was the cop. Okay, with that mindblowing revelation I now think the setup is 1 Goon, 1 RB, 7 VT, since the real cop would have counterclaimed by now. AGar did us a big favor by making himself look a little suspicious during that day, same with NS. Therefore, I heartily agree that Thor should die. He's too analytical and sensible for this town

Actions: Kill Thor, Roleblock AGar (he's my second choice if there is a doc at all which I doubt)

Stratting for Day 3: I think I'm everyone's top suspect for the next day. Unless someone else slips up really badly or you take a fall I think I'm tomorrow's dead man. We'll just have to see. As you can see I was putting a little bit of criticism on you throughout Day 2 in an attempt to distance ourselves from each other. If they go after me I'm going to scumhunt on you and probably NS (depending on whether he or AGar look more suspicious). Defend yourself against me by sending counteraccusations but don't rail against me like DP did against me or mallow did against DP. Pick either NS or AGar to also make a top suspect and attack them as well.

If I die, I'll put this suggestion out there: kill silverbullet on Night 3, unless someone else makes a better target.
quadz08 wrote:That is just mindblowingly dumb. Wow.

We're doing a good job at keeping ourselves separated, methinks, which is good. Hopefully, we can turn the tides tomorrow, against either NS or AGar, like you said. If we can, then we win, as you know.

If they get one of us, though, then Day 4 is 2 townies, 1 mafia. It's gonna be he-said, she-said craziness, and the best debater will win. We'll see what happens.

So we're definitely killing Thor tonight, then.

Here are my thoughts about the roleblock:
It's possible there is still both a cop and a doctor out there. The cop would have just been convinced that DP was scum, and would have had no need to counter-claim so early, since he was clearly about to be lynched anyway. I think we should go through and look for possible other cops. I think AGar is plain VT because of his plan to massclaim (he would gain nothing if he already had knowledge of a role) , but any of the other 3 could be anything. To be clear, I don't really think there are a cop or a doctor, but it's enough of a possibility to check out.
Wraith wrote:I'm just preparing for the worst, but turning the tides against those two is unlikely, as I don't think they are flashing on anyone else's scumdar much.

Point on AGar. After him, my next suspect would be Thor, then NS.

Kill Thor, Roleblock NS
quadz08 wrote:Question. Should we have you do the killing AND the roleblock? Or split it up, like last time? You seem to be under more suspicion than me, so I'm thinking that it would make more sense for me to not put myself in harm's way.
Wraith wrote:It doesn't really matter, since there are no roles that kill/track/whatever a killer in this game. Do what you want.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Post by Wraith »

Finally, food for thought time. I'm not technically a rookie, since I've played and hosted enough to know the rules and researched enough to know the lingo, but my previous games were certainly in a much lower class than anything here. This is the first game I've played where I played against a competent town - the others I was scum in were walkovers. Therefore, I had no idea how to properly defend myself against experienced players like y'all. What this taught me was how to defend myself as scum, which will really, really help later on.

Comments on Kills: We killed Uite because he was blatant town, and my closest guess to doctor, as you all have speculated. I'm very paranoid, especially in games that revolve around paranoia, so I embraced DP's cop claim and basically hunted for the doctor like crazy until DP was lynched, at which point I was certain there were no other PRs. We killed Thor in a surprisingly unanimous decision because the instant he entered the game he saw right through our plays, and was therefore extremely dangerous. If he hadn't shown up, I'm betting AGar would have bought the farm Night 2.

Comments on Players: I'm very satisfied with how this turned out - quadz and I played well IMO, but not quite well enough to win. I had no problems with the players beyond DP's brief flame-phase and mallow's death spiral:

Me:
I was on the right track until I made the HUGE mistake of overreacting to DP's offhand accusation on Day 1. I made a semi-desperate (I'd planned to do it eventually) gamble by making my mega-post against mallow, which was designed to haul quadz's ass out of the fire and get a mislynch at the same time. Unfortunately that backfired almost catastrophically, and instead of throwing suspicion on other townies (DP) it threw suspicion on me. I'm still astounded that I lasted to Day 3, and I attribute it to DP's liarrific play.

quadz:
He was a good partner, but he had one huge problem - he couldn't seem to commit to a gamble. If he had hammer'd DP that first Day on page 3(?), I believe we might have one, as either of us (especially me) would not have had the heat on our asses early on (I think mallow would have been an easy Day 2 lynch, then possibly quadz himself on Day 3 provided someone hadn't gotten heat on them on Day 2, then I could have manipulated the LyLo on Day 4). AGar has also pointed out that his non-commital toward making a case against me let him (AGar) guess that quadz was scum, correctly. I think that contributed to his endgame downfall, as well as the poor Day 1 defense. Sorry to say it dude, but the root of our loss here ultimately goes back to the missed opportunity on Day 1.

AGar/Thor:
I put these two in the same blurb because I have the same comments on both - they were probably the most dangerous townies in the game. As I've said, Thor scared the shit outta me Day 2 because he immediately saw through our plays to see the scum we were. AGar wasn't as "volatile" as Thor (causing Thor's Night 2 death), but he was still extremely dangerous and was the driving force against me most of the game, which is probably what killed you Night 3.

DavidParker:
Rocky start, I know. Personally I didn't judge you based on "arrogance," but then again I was scum and knew you were pro-town. That was the most batshit insane play I've ever seen, with the cop claim as a VT. I don't really know what you'd have gained by baiting the N1 kill, other than just another townie dying. I suppose you were trying to protect the real cop, but when no CC appeared I was pretty sure you were the cop and roleblocked you. Mind was blown when you were revealed as VT. Suggestion: Don't lie next time. The cop claim would have been more believable if you had just come out and said "I was roleblocked" immediately instead of trying to scare the scum with a hidden result. Yeah, I know you didn't know you were actually roleblocked, but if you don't have a result and you have claimed cop you MUST have an excuse for not having that result, because eventually you will have to reveal it. A claimed cop doesn't hide results, because he can die during the night. Cut the flaming, cut the lying, and I think your bold style of play can pay big dividends some other game.

Uite:
Not much to say here, considering I got you killed N1 :P. You play a good town, keep that style if you plan on baiting night kills. I'd like to play against you when you're scum.

mallowgeno:
Not much to say here either, considering I got you lynched D1 (Damn I'm good :P). I can attribute that lynch to inexperience with MS. Don't make it so blatant that you're trying an early wagon - I wasn't lying when I said constantly that that is a blatant scumtell.

NobodySpecial:
Good IC, although I didn't really need it much, since I know the game and I know forums. On your play, I honestly don't have much to say other than "difficult." You were a dangerous scumhunter, but you could also be convinced onto a wagon, although it was freaking hard.

silverbullet:
You were one of my top picks for kills throughout the game, as you established yourself as a dangerous scumhunter early on. However, Uite just gave me the "totally the doctor" vibe and stole the NK from you N1. After Day 1 you kind of faded into the background, and Thor became a much more dangerous target for N2. If you're town and you've established that you're pro-town, as you did, go all-out in your scumhunting next time. Don't be a wallflower!

Anyways, that's all I got. GG
Show

Uite
Uite
Mafia Scum
Uite
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Post by Uite »

I like how your tone is so completely different right now. You sound very relaxed, almost like a guy chilling at the bar, recalling his war stories. I plan on hanging around for a while so there's a good chance I'll eventually encounter you as scum. What I don't really get was how you got a Doc vibe from me. A doc would hang back a bit more, while I got pretty vocal at times, so I'm curious
[ɜytə] — Ceterum censeo spumam delendam esse

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Post by Wraith »

Of the main people who were blatantly pro-town (you, silver, AGar) you were the least vocal and most cautious. At the time I was convinced there was a Doc, and you were the best candidate.
Show

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Post by quadz08 »

Wraith: I know, I know. I did a lot of stuff wrong. I don't think not voting DP really caused us to lose; rather, I'd blame it on both of our overreactions on Day 1, and my apparent inability to acknowledge your existence during the Day.

Uite: I think it was just because you were SO DAMN TOWNIE. You were our best guess, more than anything.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Post by Wraith »

I'm not complaining much dude, we did a great job of making it to a second LyLo after a rocky start. I'm just saying that if that hammer had gone down, neither of us would have had overreactions on Day 1. The slightest difference in a moment can change the face of future events.
Show

DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by DavidParker »

it always come back to the person who hammered though... regardless of who's under suspicion
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 am

Post by Wraith »

Yeah he brought that up. However, the suspicion would have first fallen on mallowgeno, the person who started the early wagon and actively asked everyone to join, before it fell on the person who hammer'd. Hammering isn't necessarily a scumtell, even early hammering. Remember, you hammer'd mallow somewhat abruptly, but you weren't scum.
Show

DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:09 am

Post by DavidParker »

yeah but i got lynched the next day LOL....

so you hammer me day 1.. get mallow lynched day 2.. oh look, those were the 2 who got lynched day 1 and 2 anyways!
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:55 am

Post by Wraith »

Yes, but an early lynch on you D1 would have eliminated all of the discussion that took place later on. Quadz and I wouldn't have had all the slip-ups we did that day, and the town would have had no material on us D2, and possibly D3 as well.
Show

DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:03 am

Post by DavidParker »

no material = person who hammered is to blame.
= they get lynched.

You would have been STRETCHING to get mallow lynched day 2, and I reckon the person who hammer'd would have been the one lynched on day 2 regardless. Quickhammer is a huge scum tell and something having around in lylo is unavoidable. Also, mallow's case on me actually gave me a town vibe on him (which i stated) even though I knew it would be a mislynch, so i'm guessing some other ppl might have caught that..

this is a lot of what if's, and somethign i dont think u should even be considering, u can say u think he should have hammered, but i dont think u can speculate any further than that, just like i probably shouldnt, but im just trying to point out why ur speculation is silly.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:12 am

Post by quadz08 »

I'm inclined to agree with DP here. Quicklynching is basically yelling "hey, I'm scum!"
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:11 am

Post by Thor665 »

quadz08 wrote:Wraith: I know, I know. I did a lot of stuff wrong. I don't think not voting DP really caused us to lose; rather, I'd blame it on both of our overreactions on Day 1, and my apparent inability to acknowledge your existence during the Day.
This is truth. It's hard to say what the quicklynch would have done - quadz would have been put under even more intense scrutiny on Day 2 and if he cracked a bit day 1 I don't see why Wraith believes he wouldn't crack Day 2, and town also wouldn't have had to waste time lynching DP which would have been a plus. It would at the very least be a 50/50 for a mallow quadz lynch at that point, which hardly makes it seem uber win for scum in my mind.

My (deep?) thoughts to follow;

TL:DR - fun game, thank you all.

===================================================

Mallow
- personally I think you were lynched for bad reasons on Day 1, unfortunately this does happen. Try not to be too tense about it, and I hope you play again as I liked certain energy from you on Day 1.

Uite
- you are full of crazy juice for not getting why you were NKed. You play an excellent game as townie, try to keep some of that energy and you will become decidedly deadly as scum as well. I hope I get a chance to be in a game with you where we are both active at the same time.

DavidParker
- the meta here really frowns on liars. Please lie less when you are town. The case on you was only so-so and the fakeclaim hurt town more then it helped. If there had been a real cop you could have outed him for no gain. If there was a roleblocker then scum could do what they did and just toy with you (as they did). As I said on Day 2, my read on you was town *except for your claims* If you had just stuck with "I'm town, the case is bad, here's who I think is scummy" I would not have wanted to lynch you (quite frankly I wanted to lynch Wraith, I just felt obligated to lynch the obvious liar first for reasons I stated at that point). Please do not lie so much as town in the future (at least when playing a game I'm in) as, if town had lost, I think a lot of fingers would be (justifiably) pointing at you.

Thor665
- probably should have been stronger in suspicions of Wraith. The possibility was there for the clean lynch if you'd had a few more balls.

Wraith
- I mostly agree with everything AGar has already said about your play. As you get a bit more relaxed here you'll become a much tougher scum to deal with. I'll be interested to see your town game sometime as well, as some of your commentary already shows a deeper understanding of some aspects of the game that often take Newbies a while to figure out.

AGar
- is this the third of fourth time now that one of us has replaced into a game with the other one and one of us dies the very next Night cycle? We need to break this habit, I still really haven't gotten to play a game with you yet in my opinion. Hopefully we can be scum together sometime in the future, that way we'll both last (though anyone knowing our meta will be on to us quick :wink: ).

quadz
- I personally found you the harder scum to nail (though this is partly because of the newbie energy you have, which will not last), and AGar has already pointed out your big game errors and I agree with his analysis. As you learn the flow of the game it will be interesting to see how you develop, I like certain aspects of your 'from the hip' methods and think you will be a fun player to have in a game once you get the flow down better.

NobodySpecial
- the IC? To the hills! It was interesting to see your IC meta, I actually like it better then your usual meta, but I like long posts so I'm biased. I think you did pretty well as the IC, probably a few more posts dedicated to explaining *why* you're doing certain actions would be helpful to the Newbs, but overall I think you did a good job educating them and keeping the game moving functionally in the early game (which is always a chore)

silverbullet
- You're a little too married to Nacho's read of me :wink: . Overall a good game, and it was flattering to see aspects of my style showing up in your play - which is an amazing compliment. I look forward to seeing what you develop into as you get more games under your belt and master your own methods (I know mine are still changing every game I play). I definitely want to play another game with you sometime, hope you're loving to learn the game.

Jeffcole
- very smoothly modded, and I think you helped introduce a very solid batch of newbies to the game, thank you.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 am

Post by Wraith »

quadz08 wrote:I'm inclined to agree with DP here. Quicklynching is basically yelling "hey, I'm scum!"
I suppose it depends on the players. There was another newbie game I wanted to replace into (DP actually beat me to the slot) where there was a quicklynch. I think the hammerer was lynched Day 3 and revealed to be scum, but there was still a second mislynch (hammer'd by the same guy) before they caught him.
Show

DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #574 (ISO) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Post by DavidParker »

haha, i saw that game and wanted to replace in so bad. btw, shouldnt discuss it, its still ongoing :p

as said, speculating isnt really something u can accurately do.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”