Newbie 976 - Game Over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Post by DavidParker »

Well, it's possilbe to win mafia no matter your alignment without lying, but it can be more fun to lie for the individual. Creating a fake persona, or just making the game a bit more confusing is by its nature: fun. Obviously, if everyone lied the game would be a bit of shambles, so it's a fairly selfish thing to do. Regardless, I won't plan on lying in this game for once. (For those unaware I claimed cop as a VT in my last game with NS :( )

Friend seems to have come charging in and won a lot of town points.

Seeing as I voted gingerr because I have a problem with red heads, and gingerr has now been replaced...

VOTE: startransmission

I had a big rant at the IC is another game of mine about how useless he was (day 1 quick lynch, and day 2 QUICKER lynch (about 6-7 posts of discussion) and he was the IC amonst these incompetent clowns. Then day 3, he doesn't even post), so I think voting on you right now to get you to talk is where my vote is most useful! (btw not claiming you are useless, just saying I want to avoid that ;) )
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

DP, please don't talk about ongoing games. It's a rule that's taken pretty seriously around here.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Post by DavidParker »

Sorry :(
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:03 am

Post by Zorblag »

Vote Count 1.2

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

koch: 2: gandalf5166 (6), Aspen (13)
startransmission: 2: Framm 18(12), DavidParker (15)
Nobody Special: 1: startansmission (2)
gandalf5166: 1: theperson (7)
Aspen: 1: Friend (14)

Not voting: koch, Nobody Special

With 9 players alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently koch would be lynched at Deadline. Deadline is 12:00 PM EDT/9:00 AM PDT on Saturday, July 17th. Countdown Timer.

Mod Note: It is worth noting that the comments DavidParker just made about the other game that he's in with startransmission are indeed more talk about an ongoing game that is allowed. Despite the fact that they seem harmless it's particularly important that information not be leaked accidentally about ongoing games. Sometimes it's hard to tell what will be harmful and what won't so the policy is strict to avoid the possibility. I'm not taking any actions this time as I believe no harm was done, it's the first time it has come up and I'm judging it to be an action with no malicious intent but everyone should avoid that in the future.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:25 am

Post by Friend »

David, I don't understand this at all.

DavidParker wrote:Well, it's possilbe to win mafia no matter your alignment without lying, but it can be more fun to lie for the individual. Creating a fake persona, or just making the game a bit more confusing is by its nature: fun. Obviously, if everyone lied the game would be a bit of shambles, so it's a fairly selfish thing to do. Regardless, I won't plan on lying in this game for once. (For those unaware I claimed cop as a VT in my last game with NS :( )

Friend seems to have come charging in and won a lot of town points.

Seeing as I voted gingerr because I have a problem with red heads, and gingerr has now been replaced...

VOTE: startransmission

I had a big rant at the IC is another game of mine about how useless he was (day 1 quick lynch, and day 2 QUICKER lynch (about 6-7 posts of discussion) and he was the IC amonst these incompetent clowns. Then day 3, he doesn't even post), so I think voting on you right now to get you to talk is where my vote is most useful! (btw not claiming you are useless, just saying I want to avoid that ;) )
You're saying that you're preemptively voting ST because you don't want him to be a bad IC? I don't see how that warrants a vote. Voting should be done because you want to either lynch someone or put more pressure on them to gain information. Your vote accomplishes neither of those things, and you've avoided talking about anything that's happened so far in the game. What do you think about Koch placing the L-2 vote on gandalf? What do you think about Aspen's WIFOM-filled post? Seems like you're just weaseling out of scumhunting.
FoS: DavidParker
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:38 am

Post by Friend »

Also, NS, I understand that the questions were meant to spark discussion, and I think you meant them well. However, they haven't, and I just don't know how they would help in our scumhunting efforts. Seems like kind of a distraction. I don't think you're that scummy but it's something I'll have in the back of my mind.
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 am

Post by Framm 18 »

I am not sure as to who are the scum just yet (still to early and not enough talking), but I think that the two biggest suspects for me are Koch and Aspen. Although, my experience with mafias are beware those who seem to be the least likely baddie.
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 am

Post by Friend »

Framm 18 wrote:I am not sure as to who are the scum just yet (still to early and not enough talking), but I think that the two biggest suspects for me are Koch and Aspen. Although, my experience with mafias are beware those who seem to be the least likely baddie.
Why Koch?
Why Aspen?
What does that last sentence mean?
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 am

Post by Framm 18 »

Friend wrote:
Framm 18 wrote:I am not sure as to who are the scum just yet (still to early and not enough talking), but I think that the two biggest suspects for me are Koch and Aspen. Although, my experience with mafias are beware those who seem to be the least likely baddie.
Why Koch?
Why Aspen?
What does that last sentence mean?
Koch: Just because he seemed to accuse Gandalf and then backed off when asked about it.
Aspen: Just that fact that he said that he was not scum, when there was really no reason to say it.
What does that last sentence mean: Just because someone seems like a townie does not mean they are a townie. In my last game (on a different site) one of the scum/baddie was completely off the scum radar for pretty much all of the town/goodies.

So I guess I am saying is based off the intially feel of the game, those are my two suspects even though Aspen is voting for Koch, it is still early and not that much of a threat at the moment to vote for your partner.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:47 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Friend wrote:Also, NS, I understand that the questions were meant to spark discussion, and I think you meant them well. However, they haven't, and I just don't know how they would help in our scumhunting efforts. Seems like kind of a distraction. I don't think you're that scummy but it's something I'll have in the back of my mind.
You'll find that, on this site at least, there's a pretty good debate between factions (I'm not talking about town v. scum, here; no, we've entered MetaLand) about the value of RVS vs. RQS. Personally, I'm solidly on the side of RQS. I may dislike RVS (and very strongly) but I still reluctantly participate. I realize you're not calling me out as scummy for them, but I see that they have value, and I will continue to use them. (For the record, that is my standard list of questions that I use when I am the IC in a newbie game.)

The fact is, they
have
sparked discussion, at least between you and I. I see value in that, and I also think you're a bit anti-town for disliking something that can help discussion.
DavidParker wrote:Friend seems to have come charging in and won a lot of town points.
Can you elaborate on what you think is townie about Friend?
....what?

Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Post by Friend »

NS wrote:The fact is, they have sparked discussion, at least between you and I. I see value in that, and I also think you're a bit anti-town for disliking something that can help discussion.
I don't necessarily
dislike
RQS, but it just seems like kind of a waste of time. That's my stance, and I think it's rather pointless to argue about it with you. However, I would like to know why you find me anti-town based on my personal preferences.

Framm, between Koch and Aspen, who is scummier?
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Post by Friend »

Also, Nobody Special, your opinions of Aspen and Koch, please.
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Post by Framm 18 »

I would have to say Aspen at the moment, since he has only posted once, and that was after a prod.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

I think Aspen needs to get in here and contribute, and I think koch is neutral-to-scum.

@Friend: It's not your personal preferences that I'm commenting on. It's your blatant attempt at stifling discussion. (Okay. Now that we're done putting words in each other's mouths, can we move on? Good.)
....what?

Aspen
Aspen
Townie
Aspen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by Aspen »

I said what I said because I am fully aware I was bandwagoning. I can't really gather any serious intel day one. This is also my first serious game, so I don't know what I'm doing too much. I'm now leaning towards Friend though, but I'm not willing to change my vote.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Oh, look! A convenient appearance! Just after being spoken about!

Vote: Aspen
....what?

gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

What do you find scummy about Friend?
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

To whom are you directing that?
....what?

Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Post by Friend »

NS wrote:It's your blatant attempt at stifling discussion.
How is this true? I answered your questions. I just said I didn't like them.

Secondly, your Aspen vote seems off. You say this:
NS wrote:I think Aspen needs to get in here and contribute
Then, when he does come in and contribute (well not really contribute, but say something) you vote him. So...when he does what you ask him to, it's scummy? If he had continued to lurk, would you have thrown your vote down?

UNVOTE: Aspen
VOTE: Nobody Special
Aspen wrote:I'm now leaning towards Friend though, but I'm not willing to change my vote.
This was most likely gandalf's question, too, but what do you find scummy about me?
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

Nobody Special wrote:To whom are you directing that?
That was directed towards Aspen.
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Post by Friend »

Gandalf, your vote is on koch. Do you still find him the scummiest?
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Friend »

koch wrote:in response to Gandalf: i was comfortable with it because it did not put you in any real risk of being lynched, plus from what i have seen from looking in other games, putting some pressure on someone early can really open up a game. Now since your back down to L3, im keeping my vote on you, because im a bit suspicious with how aggresive you were towards me. I will move it though when i get some more info on people, or if you get to close to being lynched.
koch wrote:completely off topic, but gandalf, you could resize the picture :P. And im going to slow down, i feel like me trying to hard to be in the thick of things is not going well for me for that reason im going toUNVOTE:
Koch, your two posts here are contradictory. You're comfortable keeping Gandalf at L3 in your first post, wanting to get more pressure and information. This is a good thing, IMO. But, in this second post you change your mind and decide to sort of give up and not scumhunt, and you never tried to ask Gandalf any questions or pressure him verbally instead of with your vote. What prompted this change of heart?
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by Framm 18 »

Friend wrote:Secondly, your Aspen vote seems off. You say this:
Then, when he does come in and contribute (well not really contribute, but say something) you vote him. So...when he does what you ask him to, it's scummy? If he had continued to lurk, would you have thrown your vote down?
NS, correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was the fact that he replied rather quickly after we started talking about him. I think that it is suspicious that he happens to reply so fast after he is accused of being sort of scummy after having been quiet so long. I am not willing to cast a vote for him/her just yet, but I definitely have a
FOS: Aspen
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Post by Friend »

Framm 18 wrote:
Friend wrote:Secondly, your Aspen vote seems off. You say this:
NS, correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was the fact that he replied rather quickly after we started talking about him. I think that it is suspicious that he happens to reply so fast after he is accused of being sort of scummy after having been quiet so long. I am not willing to cast a vote for him/her just yet, but I definitely have a
FOS: Aspen
Yet, you don't know if that's RL-related. Perhaps that was the only time he could get access to the computer? I just don't like judging Aspen as scummy based on the time he posted. I was talking about him -- I even threw a vote down -- and he didn't show. I don't like his original "vote even though it makes me seem scummy lol" post but I can see that as just being a general newbtell.
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Post by Friend »

Oh, and this was also bothering me, NS.
Friend wrote:
NS wrote:It's your blatant attempt at stifling discussion.
I don't know how you can honestly accuse me of stifling discussion - I think I've been pretty damn active in the short time I've been here.

I hate having to keep doubleposting like this but things keep popping into my head and I feel I gotta share 'em. Sorry if it makes the thread hard-to-read or my thought process seem somewhat disjointed.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”