Newbie 976 - Game Over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:35 am

Post by Zorblag »

Vote Count 1.1

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

koch: 2: gandalf5166 (6), Framm 18 (10)
gandalf5166: 2: theperson (7), koch (11)
Nobody Special: 1: startansmission (2)
Gingerrr: 1: DavidParker (9)

Not voting: Aspen, Gingerrr, Nobody Special

With 9 players alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently koch would be lynched at Deadline. Deadline is 12:00 PM EDT/9:00 AM PDT on Saturday, July 17th. Countdown Timer.

Mod Note: theperson's V/LA is noted. It a bit long but with advanced warning and it not going past a deadline it'll be acceptable.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

I don't see how L2 puts me at "no risk of being lynched". All we need is one townie to not notice the vote count, and one scum to pretend he didn't, and we have a lynch. Plus a potential mislynch the next day. And theperson's right. There's no such thing as pressure in the RVS. There's no way I could convince NS that my avatar is not creepy. It is, that's why I picked it. It would be my avatar on kong if it wasn't too big. And I'm not going to lie, it certainly opened up conversation, but hardly in a way that's good for you, whichever team you're on.
koch
koch
Townie
koch
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:42 am

Post by koch »

completely off topic, but gandalf, you could resize the picture :P. And im going to slow down, i feel like me trying to hard to be in the thick of things is not going well for me for that reason im going toUNVOTE:
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:53 am

Post by Nobody Special »

This game needs something. I know!! RANDOM QUESTIONS!!

Forthwith:

1) Are you having fun yet?

2) Chocolate or vanilla?

3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)?

4) Lynch all Liars?

5) Math or Sports?

6) Lynch all Lurkers?

7) What do
you
think of the RVS?

I'll post my answers soon, or after everyone, depending on consensus.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:07 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

1. Well........ Nobody's doing anything. But I love mafia!!!
2. Definitely vanilla. Chocolate just tastes funny.
3. I've played several on kongregate, but everybody on that site sucks at mafia, so........ I consider this my second game of mafia. I've played one other on this site.
4. Yes. A. If they're smart town, then they should never lie. Therefore they're either stupid town or scum. B. If they're stupid town, then they definitely should not be around for lylo. They'll make a stupid vote and town will lose. C. If they're scum, then they need to be lynched!
5. I'm better at math, by far. I can do long division in my head, but my biceps are approximately 5 inches around. Am I the only one who thinks that sports shouldn't happen within schools? I can understand why you have to get an athletics credit, but you shouldn't be able to fail half your classes and still pass the grade just because you're good at football. You should have to go somewhere else for sports, and bring a certificate in at the end of the semester that says you participated.
6. Not really. Sometimes you just don't have a lot of time all of a sudden. What I do find scummy is being active, but not having any analysis to your name. I tolerate people who make fluff posts if they contribute analysis as well, but I'd rather someone got replaced out for inactivity than they post every 6 hours about their cat.
7. I think it's great. There's not really any other way to get the game running.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 am

Post by startransmission »

Ahhh, my weekend is finally here. Let me get myself fed and showered etc. and I'll answer NS's questions as well as address one or two other things.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 am

Post by Framm 18 »

1) Are you having fun yet? Always

2) Chocolate or vanilla? Mint Chocolate Chip 8-)

3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)? 17 on other sites, bit differently though. (24 hour phases)

4) Lynch all Liars? No

5) Math or Sports? Sports. Better at watching then playing.

6) Lynch all Lurkers? No

7) What do
you
think of the RVS? I personally don't mind it at all.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:23 am

I always have fun with Mafia games. This one has just started and there haven't been any real debates yet, but I have nothing but high hopes.

2) Chocolate or vanilla?

Er... well I love both. Depends on the item.

I started playing Mafia at another site and played 6 or 7 over there, and modded one or two as well. It wasn't taken as seriously there, and I joined this site to play a longer and more advanced version. My record in my signature is (with the exception of Marathon games) accurate, and I have one other game that is currently is progress... so I guess that makes this my 21st game here on MS.

4) Lynch all Liars?

For the most part, if a player is caught in a lie then that is absolutely lynch worthy.

5) Math or Sports?

I enjoy both but I'm better at sports.

6) Lynch all Lurkers?

No. If the deadline comes along and the only resort is to lynch an inactive player then town hasn't been doing a very good job. Lynching lurkers is my least favorite of all policy lynches, and D1 is the only day that I find policy lynches acceptable.

7) What do
you
think of the RVS?

I love it. There are those that have issues with it, but I've always found it valuable for getting things going and in some instances it can be incredibly valuable for information.

Which leads me to the L-2 vote that Koch made. I have no problem with it. If Gandalf were quick-lynched that would likely be good for town, but there was little chance of that actually happening.

@Koch- In your opening post you didn't refer to the fact that your vote was putting Gandalf at L-2, but in your response to his question it sounds like you were aware. It's a small detail, but were you specifically aware at the time of your vote how many votes Gandalf already had? And what aggressiveness are you referring to?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:58 am

Post by Nobody Special »

startransmission wrote:Which leads me to the L-2 vote that Koch made. I have no problem with it. If Gandalf were quick-lynched that would likely be good for town, but there was little chance of that actually happening.
Fascinating. Can you expound on why it would be good for town to quicklynch a player so early on Day 1?
....what?

startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm

If the person lynched were town then you have a near guarantee that one of the last two votes were courtesy of scum. Depending on the situation town correctly assessing which one is scum is a likelihood.

Don't get me wrong, I like my days as long as possible with the most amount of information available to make the best lynch. But the fact is most D1 lynches are mislynches anyways, and having something like a quick lynch in RVS makes it far likelier that scum would be identified D2.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
koch
koch
Townie
koch
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Post by koch »

1) Are you having fun yet? of course I'm excited about my first game

2) Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla in a heartbeat

3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)? a couple over at Kongregate, but they usually fail and are a joke compared to here

4) Lynch all Liars? Yes, it seems like a good strategy, now it depends on the lie, but why would a townie lie?

5) Math or Sports? I keep it pretty balanced, i run a lot and play other sports with friends, and im decent in school also, i enjoy both

6) Lynch all Lurkers? i dont think so, i dont think that would do much good. its a shot in the dark

7) What do you think of the RVS? yes, its a good way to start the game and get things moving

@startransmission- it was in the back of my mind when i did it, i was not really thinking about it, it was more him voting for me so i had to vote back. And as for the aggressiveness comment i made, it was just me blowing gandalf's post out of proportion.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Mod Note: Prodding Aspen and Gingerrr.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by DavidParker »

1) Are you having fun yet? Not a huge amount, but I know it will come.

2) Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla icecream/milkshakes, otherwise chocolate

4) Lynch all Liars? OBVIOUSLY!!!! (nah, i think lying can be a strategy used by town and scum, just it is anti-town when a townie does it)

5) Math or Sports? If this was school or sports, maybe school. but it's not. So, sports.

6) Lynch all Lurkers? Nope

7) What do you think of the RVS? good way to start off the game, although i never "randomly" vote i just do a joke/bs vote.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:08 am

Post by Framm 18 »

UNVOTE:

VOTE: Startransmission

Sorry, not a big suspicion just yet. I just think that starting to talk might be advantageous to the townies. I still am suspicious of Koch, but I just want the talking to start.

Sorry, if I am being impatient but I am not used to these longer deadlines, it will take me a couple of games.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 am

Post by Nobody Special »

@Framm: This game seems (to me) to be starting slowly. But yeah, you'll get used to the time. Someday, you'll even come to appreciate it.
....what?

Aspen
Aspen
Townie
Aspen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:52 am

Post by Aspen »

Vote: KOCH

Getting this shit movin!
As scum as that makes me seem
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:13 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Zorblag wrote:Vote Count 1.1

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

koch: 1: gandalf5166 (6), Framm 18 (10)
gandalf5166: 1: theperson (7), koch (11)
Nobody Special: 1: startansmission (2)
Gingerrr: 1: DavidParker (9)

Not voting: Aspen, Gingerrr, Nobody Special

With 9 players alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently koch would be lynched at Deadline. Deadline is 12:00 PM EDT/9:00 AM PDT on Saturday, July 17th. Countdown Timer.
Don't koch & gandalf have two votes each here, and not one? (Or does that "1:" mean something else?)

Mod Note: Yeah, those should both be two. I've fixed it in the vote count. Thanks for catching it!
....what?

Framm 18
Framm 18
Goon
Framm 18
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Post by Framm 18 »

Just posting to show that I am still here, just waiting.

I might be awol this weekend (Fri-Mon night). Travelling and I am not sure about the Internet connection.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Mod Notes: Looking for a replacement for Gingerrr now.

Framm 18's V/LA is noted.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Post by DavidParker »

I'll be somewhat AWOL this weekend as well. HOpefully some discussion can be had today/tomorrow ;/
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 pm

Allright, I work tomorrow morning but will be posting in the afternoon. Apparently RVS isn't doing the trick here, and even the RQS hasn't gotten any activity rolling. I'll look at what we have and see what kinda string I can pull.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Mod Note: Friend replaces Gingerrr. Thanks Friend!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Post by Friend »

No problem, Zorblag!

Hi townies and scums, I'm Friend.

In other news, VOTE: Aspen. I don't like the WIFOM he's pulling at all in this post. At all.
Aspen wrote:
Vote: KOCH

Getting this shit movin!
As scum as that makes me seem
NS, I'll answer your questions, but I'd also like your motives behind asking them.
Nobody Special wrote:This game needs something. I know!! RANDOM QUESTIONS!!

Forthwith:

Well, just replaced in, so can't say that I am. I'm sure I will as the game goes on though.

2) Chocolate or vanilla?
Mmm...chocolate.

None here. A whole lot over at epicmafia and a few in RL. One on another forum. However, my brother is a user on the site so he's probably gonna be helping me out a little through this game.

4) Lynch all Liars?
Yeah. Townies really have no reason to lie about their roles and those who do deserve a lynch to the face.

5) Math or Sports?
Good question. I used to play baseball up until this year but then I quit cause I wasn't feeling it. So, basically, I'm better at math but I like playing/watching sports more than solving equations.

6) Lynch all Lurkers?
Nah, I think lurking's generally a nulltell. Active lurking though...that's bad.

7) What do
you
think of the RVS?
I have no problems with it. There doesn't seem to be a much better way.

I'll post my answers soon, or after everyone, depending on consensus.
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Post by Friend »

Also:
Gandalf wrote:There's no such thing as pressure in the RVS.
Just like to say that I disagree with this. It's not pressure as in there's a legitimate case, but I believe all votes cause pressure. And under pressure, scum can crack. Getting reactions from an early-game RVS wagon could end up being extremely helpful for scumhunting purposes.

And I should have posed this question in my last post but Aspen: Why do you think voting for Koch would make you seem scummy?
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Friend wrote:NS, I'll answer your questions, but I'd also like your motives behind asking them.
Nobody Special wrote:This game needs something. I know!! RANDOM QUESTIONS!!
The activity was lagging. I thought a fun-injection was in order. (Also, it sparked discussion.)

And now, my answers, as promised:

1) I'm having loads of fun. I'm addicted.

2) Chocolate all the way.

3) I've finished 15 here, several on other sites. I'm currently in twelve (DO NOT try this at home. I have far too much free time, and I spend it playing mafia.)

4) Yes. Liars shouldn't be playing; it's possible to win mafia no matter your alignment without lying.

5) Math. Totally.

6) Yes. However, in practice, scum usually presents themselves for a lynch without town having to resort to lynching a lurker. But it's fun to pressure them.
....what?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”