Newbie 906 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #825 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

Skill006 wrote:
jmurph3 wrote:If it came down to Phaen lynch or no lynch, I would drop the hammer.
Would you be reluctant to do so? Or do you think there's nothing more waiting for today?
I would be reluctant to do so, though not perhaps as reluctant as I would have been earlier.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure if I see there being anything worth waiting for today. I want Col.Cathart to post, but perhaps it's just as best if he doesn't, lest his post create more discord than harmony. I'd like Ray to actually give his opinions on something. I'd like anyone and everyone who hasn't posted much to do so. Given as, with the way the game seems to be going, these things seem unlikely to happen, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do. Certainly you can be assured that I will take tonight to sleep on it and see if I can make my mind.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #826 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Hmm, looking and thinking a bit more I think that my skepticism about jmurph3's use of diatribe is being influenced too much by my thoughts on other parts of her play. I'm going to downgrade my reaction to simply surprised and drop that particular issue. Given what she's had to say about it coupled with the fact that she used with as her preposition which does make more sense for the meaning she says she was intending I'll accept that this is just a matter of different expectations.

Having said that I really do find her expected use to be, well, unexpected.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #827 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Post by Col.Cathart »

I'm terribly sorry mod, and all player - please replace me. My comp just got fried recently, and now I have very limited access to Internet (on mu uni library, once, maybe twice a day in breaks between courses, for a several minutes max. maybe for a moment from my friends comp like right now), barely enough for my modded Mini game, definitely not enough for any valuable participation in any game.

I'm really sorry for it, especially considering I just hopped in and couldn't even contribute anything decent :(. I hope you'll have a fun game all of you.
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #828 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Sorry to hear about your computer Col.Cathart. That must be frustrating. Hopefully you'll get something up and running sometime soon and we can get a chance to play some in a game together. I was definitely looking forward to hearing you here.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #829 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Post by Kison »

Day Two: Vote Count

Phaen (
) : Skill006, Zorblag, PranaDevil
Skill006 (
) : Phaen
RayFrost (
) : jmurph3
jmurph3 (
) : RayFrost

Not Voting (
) : Col.Cathart

With
alive, it will take
votes to lynch.

The day's deadline is currently set to:
March 23rd, 2010, 11:59:59 PM, EST

Looking for a replacement for Col.Cathart.

Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #830 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Post by Kison »

Important:
A new rule has been added.

As per request of the List Mod, Vel-Rahn Koon, this game will, from this point on, forbid the use of cryptography as a strategy.
<
> (
NEW
) Thou shalt not use cryptography within this game. For example, you should not use encryption algorithms in order to encode messages with the intent of revealing them at a later time.
The above has been added to the second post in this thread. If you would like further clarification, feel free to send me a PM.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #831 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:49 am

Post by jmurph3 »

Col.Cathart wrote:I'm terribly sorry mod, and all player - please replace me
Urgh, now this is frustrating. Do we wait for the replacement before hammering Phaen? I'm not sure which would bring more benefit. Thoughts, anyone?
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #832 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 am

Post by Zorblag »

@jmurph3, I'd say it mostly depends on whether you think a replacement would be likely to say something that would change the lynch for today. If you think there's a good chance that they would then waiting makes sense. If you think that Phaen is the lynch that would happen anyhow then waiting probably doesn't do anything too useful.

In addition to thinking about that we should also try to get Phaen to claim before any lynch happens when we as a town are ready for it. I don't think that a claim should stop the lynch but we don't want to lose any potential information we'd get from a claim.

Mind you, no claim should happen until we're committed to a lynch (we've failed at that as a town three times already) so there's some importance in making intentions known at this time. One of the reasons that I wanted to go (relatively) slow with the lynch of fuzzylightning at the end of the day yesterday was to give him a chance to claim if he wanted to after he knew that the lynch was ready to go (he chose not to, a reasonable decision on day one.)

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #833 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:07 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Zorblag wrote:@jmurph3, I'd say it mostly depends on whether you think a replacement would be likely to say something that would change the lynch for today. If you think there's a good chance that they would then waiting makes sense. If you think that Phaen is the lynch that would happen anyhow then waiting probably doesn't do anything too useful.

In addition to thinking about that we should also try to get Phaen to claim before any lynch happens when we as a town are ready for it. I don't think that a claim should stop the lynch but we don't want to lose any potential information we'd get from a claim.

Mind you, no claim should happen until we're committed to a lynch (we've failed at that as a town three times already) so there's some importance in making intentions known at this time. One of the reasons that I wanted to go (relatively) slow with the lynch of fuzzylightning at the end of the day yesterday was to give him a chance to claim if he wanted to after he knew that the lynch was ready to go (he chose not to, a reasonable decision on day one.)

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
This just made me think... correct me if I'm wrong... but hasn't it been Ray who has been diving to get someone to claim the second they're at L-1, before anyone has made it known about wanting to drop the hammer?

In fact, something that has often troubled me with Ray is how he'll unvote to wait for the latest vote count, even if said vote count's only change is 1 vote added to someone, and that has only meant 2 votes are on the person. I'm sure at one point there was an unvote just a couple of posts after the mod had posted a vote count, with me being the only person to vote afterwards. I don't understand the relevance of that, except for trying to seem pro-town by being overly cautious.

Just a couple of things that have stood out to me. I actually understand about claiming on the condition it doesn't change the lynch at all (like Zorb said), but to shout for the claim immediately someone is at L-1 is a bit much.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #834 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 am

Post by Zorblag »

@PranaDevil, no, you're not wrong about that part of RayFrost's play. It's certainly something I don't care for (and I think I've mentioned it in the past) but it's also something that don't find surprising coming from him. If I'm going to be honest I'll have to admit that the way I think claims should be handled is not anything close to the consensus view across the site. I do my best to get my plugs for doing it the way I like into newbie games because I'd like the overall site meta to shift to the safer version that I prefer but it's more methodical than many are interested in.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #835 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:49 am

Post by Kison »

smashbro_of_the_SSS replaces Col.Cathart

Will begin looking for a Phaen replacement if she doesn't respond shortly. If I need to replace her, then I'll probably push the deadline back.
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #836 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:44 am

Post by smashbro_of_the_SSS »

k, just sayin hi, I'm replacing the slot that has had, like 5 different people. I'm finishing up reading now, expect a post later today.
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #837 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:25 am

Post by Skill006 »

Hello there, smashbro_of_the_SSS :D
Has anyone ever told you how annoying it is to type that whole name?

I think we should lynch phaen before she gets replaced, IMO. I don't want the deadline to be pushed back even further, and there have been enough replacments in this game already.

Not only that, but I think most of us have run out of things to say. :|
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #838 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:44 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Skill006 wrote:Hello there, smashbro_of_the_SSS :D

I think we should lynch phaen before she gets replaced, IMO. I don't want the deadline to be pushed back even further, and there have been enough replacments in this game already.

unvote

Whoa there.

You want to lynch Phaen before... not only she has chance to reply to the prod, but before Smash gets a read on people, and before there's a chance to get someone else in to look over things?

I'd rather get a Phaen replacement and a fresh set of eyes on things, than lynch Phaen just for the sake of it right now. It was different when that consideration was over Apathy because people were strong for it... I'm still only half on it, but would prefer it to no lynch, and jmurph seems to feel the same.

The fact you would be willing to push it fast, rather than even consider an extension (and thus more talk this day, which... considering we've not had much, would be a bonus) looks extremely scummy.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #839 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

Kison wrote:
Will begin looking for a Phaen replacement if she doesn't respond shortly. If I need to replace her, then I'll probably push the deadline back.
@Mod: Can we make this happen?
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #840 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Post by Skill006 »

Well, its not that I want a quicklynch so that I can get my top suspect killed or not give smash [or other replacment if we have to get one] a chance, I just don't really want a replacement.

Anyhow, I thought you were ok with the phaen lynch at this point. I thought that if we’re ready to lynch, then we should lynch. If you feel something more could be done today, then I don’t mind waiting/discussing more.

My first thought when I posted that was that smashbro could catch up through the night and on day 3 and post his thoughts then, but I forgot that he's a player in the game now and he should have the chance to weigh his thoughts on what's been going.

Even so, I'm not exactly going crazy for a phaen replacment. I feel like we've had a bunch of replacements already and another one wouldn't be a "fresh pair of eyes" as you put it, but a poor victim set to read some 30 pages of text.

Maybe I'm just starting to lose faith in this 'replacment system' :(
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #841 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

@Skill, at the same time, if we have an inactive player, what is the harm in seeing if their replacement does any better? If he or she does not, this doesn't mean that we can't still lynch him.

I think there could be immense benefit, especially if the Mod agrees to extend the deadline.
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #842 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi, to all of you really, but before I post my summary of what I think, I have to disagree with this completely. I'm finding phaen/redbox somewhat scummy, but not enough to support their lynch at this point. I'd rather have a different lynch today, and then on Day 3 (assuming Phaen/replacement is still alive) we look at the case and see if it is scummier than the others. the replacement could weigh in, but at the end of the day, we'll mostly be looking at phaen/redbox to decide on the lynch, so there's no harm in waiting, if there are other, more major scumtells.
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #843 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 pm

little bit of an edit to the above, if it comes down to no lynch or phaen lynch, I'm going to vote for her.
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #844 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Skill006 wrote:Well, its not that I want a quicklynch so that I can get my top suspect killed or not give smash [or other replacment if we have to get one] a chance, I just don't really want a replacement.

Anyhow, I thought you were ok with the phaen lynch at this point. I thought that if we’re ready to lynch, then we should lynch. If you feel something more could be done today, then I don’t mind waiting/discussing more.

My first thought when I posted that was that smashbro could catch up through the night and on day 3 and post his thoughts then, but I forgot that he's a player in the game now and he should have the chance to weigh his thoughts on what's been going.

Even so, I'm not exactly going crazy for a phaen replacment. I feel like we've had a bunch of replacements already and another one wouldn't be a "fresh pair of eyes" as you put it, but a poor victim set to read some 30 pages of text.

Maybe I'm just starting to lose faith in this 'replacment system' :(
This post seems to scream scum to me. The first paragraph basically says I'm not doing this because it would benefit the mafia, but I'd rather not have a replacement.

Second paragraph just asks a question, not really scummy.

Understandable enough, but I've read through the thread (skimmed a couple of nothing posts :oops: ) and so I know whats going on. But you "forgot I was a player in this game now and he should have the chance to weigh his thoughts on what's been going" what do you mean by that? forgot I should put some input in before the end of the day?

So, I'm going back and looking at the case on Skill006, partly because of the recent post, but mostly because i was leaning towards her seeming to be scum before that. So, looking back at her...
Skill006 wrote:
RayFrost wrote:
Skill006 wrote:
@ Skill006 - Are you as good as James Bond (007) at taking down bad guys?
Nope. I stink at taking down bad guys, even when I know their alignment.
^--- can't make good cases / doesn't know when NOT to counterclaim.
This is true. Not encouraging, but true XD
Skill006 wrote:Oh man. This is gonna be a rough game. Everyone is so intelligent. Oh well, 'least everyone has big avatars and good grammar. ^_^
A few of her posts, especially at the beginning, warn that she isn't a good player, and likely won't do very well. Preemptive at trying to cover for lack of stronger cases.
Skill006 wrote:
You say I have a different view on how to play/read into things, but I don't really see that, people have actively agreed with some of my views, and you, yourself, have said you don't like how Ray's discrediting my points.
It's not your points or views, just your line of thinking as a town player (assuming you are town). The best example was the eagerness to lynch. Usually town want to wait to lynch somebody, and get more discussion going. With more discussion, you can here what all the town members have to say, where everyone stands, and feel more unified as a town.
Here she even says it's town to wait to lynch, and get more discussion going. contradiction to the post as of late?
Skill006 wrote:
I do feel that lots of discussion doesn't help us though, for the reasons jammer posted, but then different people have different views on it, I've seen as much reading through various games where people have wanted to keep discussion going and stated that's a benefit, and others where people wanted to only say anything relevant once out of the RVS to keep from giving scum too much information as well. I guess it depends on playstyles in that sense.
But the game is supposed to be about discussion. Lots of it won't kill us to read. Maybe you put too little faith in your future self, and feel scum will be able to cover their tracks. But it's not as if scum will brainwash us if we don't squish them as soon as we can.
And if we keep lynching someone as soon as we find them scummy, we don't consider that other people can just slip under your skin by agreeing with you. While you're so focused on Ray, you're not really fingering redbox and jmurph's posts, and they can hide under your shadow. Besides, the less townies we can avoid lynching, the better.
Continued saying how talking is good, and lynching quickly is bad. Also she warns to not follow blindly, yet tells me we should lynch phaen now.

Also, (I have no time to go back and get exact quotes, I need sleep) I'd like to point out the voting from Day 1 again. During Day 1, skill puts down 2 votes I believe, and at the end of the day has her vote on no one. It seems like this could be a tactic to not get looked at no matter which way the vote went, with no vote on a town player, she isn't as suspicious.

Then, on Day 2, she has the same number of votes (2) but seems to be pressing for a lynch, rather than sitting back and watching. Her play is a bit inconsistent, and with a lot of people up for lynching, it seems like she is trying to get a policy lynch through because she can.

So I'm going to
vote: skill006
, and leave it at that for the night. Tomorrow I plan on going through to look at a few more players i find suspicious, but I have skill at the top of my list. There are one or two players on the same level of scumminess or close to it, but I'm, just getting a gut feeling that she is the best lynch for the day, along with the evidence.
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #845 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Sorry for the quadruple post, but just one more thing.
not in those words, but yeah, it's been mentioned...I go by any nicknames though, so I've been called any of the following: smash, smashbro, smashy, SSSS, SSS, bro. Call me whichever you want, or if something else sounds better and fits, go ahead.
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #846 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Post by Skill006 »

I like the promptness ^_^

Promise I'll post an actual response tomorrow~
Mini 1042 is on Day 4 now and doesn't need any replacements.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #847 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 am

Post by jmurph3 »

smashbro_of_the_SSS wrote:So I'm going to
, and leave it at that for the night. Tomorrow I plan on going through to look at a few more players i find suspicious, but I have skill at the top of my list. There are one or two players on the same level of scumminess or close to it, but I'm, just getting a gut feeling that she is the best lynch for the day, along with the evidence.
Hey Smash. Thanks for contributing, already, and with a vote to boot! :D

That being said, I am very interested to see who else you are suspicious of, just because I'm not sure how viable a Skill lynch is right now.
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #848 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:04 am

jmurph3 wrote:
smashbro_of_the_SSS wrote:So I'm going to

Hey Smash. Thanks for contributing, already, and with a vote to boot! :D That being said, I am very interested to see who else you are suspicious of, just because I'm not sure how viable a Skill lynch is right now.
I'm going to put up a long post later, but just to get a quick word in.

Overall, I have had suspicions of almost everyone at one point reading this thread, but I decided that skill would be the best lynch because the proof was definite, not circumstantial for her. I don't think I said that the way I wanted, but let me use an example. At times throughout the game, I have found RayFrost scummy. Then again, this is partly due to his posts quality, content and length, but he is playing like he normally does (I've been in one or two games with him). most of my other reads are like that: seems a little scummy, but it could be just the way they play. As for how viable of a lynch anyone is, I would change my vote to lynch someone rather than have a no lynch (likely to Phaen, since things are headed that way). But unless necessary, I'd like to vote skill.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #849 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Post by Kison »

Perez replaces Phaen.

Pushing deadline back four days. New deadline:
March 27rd, 2010, 11:59:59 PM, EST

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”