Newbie 922: Day 3

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

Lawls wrote:
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:
Lawls:
answer this
BridgesAndBaloons wrote: Lawls, are you waiting for something? When do you think you will become more active? Or will you stay this passive the whole game? Yes you have made votes, but not of them very [strongly].
iirc I already answered that question, so you can go back and look for it. Sorry for the inactivity guys had a very busy weekend.
I have not found that after perusing through your posts. Please answer it again.

IC TipIf someone asks you a question that you have already answered, rather than saying you have answered the questioned already, either link directly to the answer you gave, or give the same answer again and explain that you already gave it before. This helps for clarity when people reread the game, they don't want to have to go backwards looking for an answer.

Votecount
Lawls - 3 (Elementary Fermion, Cojin, Acosmist)
Cojin - 2 (RayFrost, havingfitz)
Acosmist - 1 (Lawls)

Not Voting - 3 (Panacea, Nachomamma8, BridgesAndBaloons)

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
Lawls
Lawls
Goon
Lawls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Post by Lawls »

No I'm not waiting for something. I'll become more active when I'm being asked questions and when I feel the need to point out or say something. No I will not stay this passive the whole game.
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 am

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

Lawls wrote:No I'm not waiting for something.
Could you elaborate on this?
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 am

Post by Panacea »

SE guidance. :D

Lawls, I've already mentioned that I'm unsure as to whether or not you're scum or blundering town. Not certain enough either way to vote at this time. However, ten pages and most of the D1 phase is NOT a good time to sit idly back and observe. Let's say you're definitely town. a) Other than a very lurky read, you've given us zilch to go on for D2. b) In the supremely unlikely case that scum kill you Tonight, you'd have wasted a perfectly good Townie slot for an entire Day phase.

Open Question: I'd imagine that I CAN scope out his other game when his role is revealed, right? Even if it's still going?

Other than that, I'm just going to hang in and wait for Acosmist to let me know if there's anything I missed.
Town: 2. 2.
Scum: 2. 1.
Cojin
Cojin
Goon
Cojin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Post by Cojin »

Lawls wrote:No I'm not waiting for something. I'll become more active when I'm being asked questions and when I feel the need to point out or say something. No I will not stay this passive the whole game.
At what point in the game will you become more active?

pancea you cant refrence ongoing games in any way
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Post by RayFrost »

The game has since finished with an uber awesome town win where scum were lynched D2 and then D3.
don't you feel silly now?
Elementary Fermion
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Post by Elementary Fermion »

havingfitz wrote:
Unvote Lawls, Vote Cojin

Why? Because I only have one vote. (I really wish I had two to give)

Also because you are basing your potential vote on "what people think,"

and

BECAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR $%^%$ VOTE ON LAWLS!!!!!!

Way to pay attention. <shakes head>
This still isn't sitting right with me. Havingfitz seemed pretty convinced about Lawls, or at least had the super strong suspicions, but changed once he was at L-1. While there is something to be said for allowing Day 1 to drag on even longer (although I won't be the one to say it, as I am on the record with my thoughts on Day 1), it seemed an odd reason and odd timing to switch votes. I am not calling it scummy, but there is something about it that keeps making me scrtach my head. Havingfitz, would you care to explain a little more why this single reason you gave justified this switch?

I am just reminded of another game I was in, wherein one Mafia led the charge against the other, and strongly, in order to win town trust. He backed off at the last minute, but town didn't catch it; Mafia won. So, like I said, it just seems a little weird, but I am willing to be convincd.
Acosmist
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Post by Acosmist »

Executive summary: havingfitz not a fan of Cojin, Acosmist reluctantly comes to Cojin's defense. EF's lurking is a source of disagreement, but the consensus is that he's not a good topic today. Panacea misspoke? Or not? Lawls is not even answering questions directed at him. My vote hasn't changed, gets more solid with each nonresponsive Lawls post.

Forgive any quote failures; this was...a project.

Just to clarify here, this havingfitz discussion has me quoting myself a lot, with his comments in bold right after my quotes...so if it looks like I'm quoting him, I'm usually quoting both of us. Try to keep up.
havingfitz wrote:My comments in bold:
Acosmist wrote: Cojin isn't as scummy as havingfitz thinks.
He may very well be town…but his play so far has him right up there with Lawls in my opinion. It’s just as accurate a statement to say, “Cojin is scummier than Acosmist thinks.”
That line of the summary was a conclusion supported by the rest of the post. You disagree with the conclusion, and you disagree with the logic I used to get there. That's fine; grabbing the conclusion out of the summary paragraph and criticizing it in isolation seems futile.
ISO 0 - Good post by Cojin, as you recognize.
Even the blind pig finds an occasional acorn.
Sometimes the scummy whole will have a townie part. I disagree that the whole is scummy, but I think you should at least concede something to the dude.
That's completely unfair. Cojin's first post is calling Panacea out for an inconsistency in her early posting - she didn't want to place a second vote on someone, so, when she realized she had, she switched to another person...who already had a vote on him. Cojin never said L-3 wasn't a big deal.
I disagree…Pan was freaking a bit at putting someone at L-3, tried to make amends and oops, put someone else at L-3. Despite his shocked next post lamenting Pan being put at L-3 herself (which was inaccurate as she was actually at L-2 and exhibited his lack of game awareness)…he never felt the need to display L-3 shock over Lawls or EF being put at L-3 by Pan. Instead he questions her on why EF at L-3 is an issue and Lawls isn’t (but according to Pan…both her L-3’s were inadvertent [and therefore IMO equivalent to each other])
His omission to express shock at a certain instance of a class of behaviors doesn't estop him from bringing it up later. You're inferring a certain attitude from his silence. You can pour whatever meaning you want into that empty vessel, but you're the source of it, not Cojin.
ISO 2 - He made a grammatical error - he meant "Everybody, besides her flop, why do you think we should lynch her?" He explains that in the next post.
Using his “muddled” thoughts?
You weren't paying enough attention to see the connection between that post and the next one, which would explain your misinterpretation. Note: that's not Cojin's fault.
ISO 3 - His thoughts are a bit muddled here, I agree. I think Cojin should answer these questions. There are non-scummy possible reasons, though, so I wouldn't jump all over him for that...yet.
Muddled = gibberish IMO. Cojin brings out the pessimist in me.
The dismissiveness isn't helping.
ISO 4 - Yep, contentless and a broken promise to boot. I expect that avatar to be pretty awesome when it finally comes.
Agreed
For completeness, let's high-five each other over this again.
ISO 5 - Lawls has been lurking, and Cojin was on him early for it. Point: Cojin.
Uh…ok
Do you disagree?
ISO 6 - Yep, that post was inaccurate. No way to defend that.
Point removed: Cojin
No, that's not how it works. The point would be removed if something about his subsequent post
negated
the value of the previous post. Say Cojin called someone out as being scum, got him lynched, and - mirabile dictu! - that person was scum. We'd give Cojin a point for the analysis leading to the lynch. But suppose Cojin himself bites it at a future time, and we found out he was scum with the original guy - well, remove that point, because correctly identifying your scumbuddy is not an achievement of any kind. The situation here isn't like that. If he screws up, it doesn't negate the fact that he got something right previously.
ISO 7 - Continues to press Lawls.
Press Lawls? He answered a question...there was no pressing IMO…just reiterating what he had already said.
He calls Lawls on what Lawls is doing wrong. It's not a well fleshed-out case, but it's something.
ISO 8 - "Nachomamma", get it?
Ahhhhh…I see…
; Gibberish? He's saying that a person can't defend his behavior in a game by calling back to his town meta, as awareness of one's town meta means one is aware enough to fake it. I agree his grammar is unfortunate (here and in pretty much every post), but his point is valid and relevant to the discussion.
Grammar matters…your explanation makes sense…his is just babbling IMO.
Grammar matters because it facilitates the communication of ideas. But it's just syntax. Semantics matter more. As long as someone here can interpret what Cojin rather unfortunately barely seems able to express, I think his grammarfail is tolerable. I do wish he'd explain in his own words when there's confusion, though, as I don't relish the idea that perhaps other people are unintentionally covering for him when they explain what they think he meant. That's why I've been trying to get him to explain himself rather than assuming the non-scummy reasons he might have.
ISO 9 - That's not gibberish. At all. He's elaborating on his Lawls opinion and bringing up valid points. I don't like the direction your criticism is taking, dismissing Cojin's valid points as "gibberish."
The direction I’m taking is pretty clear…Cojin’s posts are lacking IMO and he is not playing attention to the game…which he has demonstrated numerous times.
The direction you were taking was dismissive of the content of his posts because of the grammar. That's not an acceptable line of attack. I know you have substantive criticisms of him too, and you made some good points, but the repeated "gibberish" dismissals were flat wrong. And I'll call you on that.
Regarding Elementary Fermion: he's lurking, to be sure. Do people see that lurking as scummy or just as a bad habit to be discouraged with pressure? I want thoughts on paper about this.
He is a bit lurky but I can excuse lurking a bit if the posts when they are made make sense. I need to look at EF’s posts a bit closer but he would not be someone I would focus on today. Cojin and Lawls are today’s focus for me.
Thanks, that's probably wise. EF's lurking just seems less malicious than anyone else's, though I can't put my finger on it. Your input is helpful.
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:He's another pretty bad lurker, and while it does appear mostly habit, I get a slight sense that he doesn't care who is lynched... more so than disinterested town would feel. So yeah, lurker leaning-anti town.
Another good opinion to have.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
RayFrost wrote: Sorry, I didn't know the # of votes on cojin, so I didn't vote him.
But the Cojin case didn't arrive until waaay after you killed the Pan wagon, and you didn't really do a whole lot to offer any substitute suspects before then.
Someone else noticed! We'll see what Panacea thinks of that...
@Acosmist: I'm not sure you understand me when I say the TownPan case. I'm referring to Ray's specific case in ISO 5, not the case for Pan being town in general.
The essentials of his case for her towniness are all public information, though. We don't have to take his word for Panacea's alignment in the games where she behaved in the ways he identified. Whatever motivation RayFrost had to make that case, it's based on facts out in the open, so there's no sense in which we have to take his word for it.
Depends on the type of lurking. EF's doesn't bother me at all because he's posting consistently, and he's posting content when he posts (usually). Later in the game, my mind may change about that but I hope that when there is more to talk about, he'll have more to say.
Everyone answer this, the varying opinions are good (diversity is strength! War is peace, etc.).
Panacea wrote:You and Ray debated this to death enough shortly thereafter, so I feel it unnecessary to re-visit. I do, however, agree with Ray about how mentioning that someone is leaning town isn't clearing them, and it's a mite extreme to accuse him of doing so.
Expressions like "a mite extreme" don't express much. I agree that Ray didn't clear all of the people he picked out as more or less townie, but the point is valid - 4 positive judgments, 2 of them strong, before the first negative judgment was rendered.
Oh, guys, come on. I'm not a total imbecile! I saved a couple of Ray's other scumtells for later. So far this was my first intensive meta, and I don't really think I like the practice much. But I can guess enough to know that inclusion of
all
of my observations can easily result in a meta-match. :) Give me some credit, guys.
Reading that little gem of his again, I was struck by how defensive it sounds. What do you think? Note that I originally wanted to have your thoughts on it, and that was all I wanted - I saw a blip on the radar, thought I might be making a mountain out of a molehill, and wanted your opinion to correct a possible mistake.
And then Ray freaked out.
. A little bit. A slight freak-out. A mite extreme, isn't it?

;)
But maybe I wasn't clear enough. I said he tends to
locate
scum early on, but he does it pretty privately (remember, entertaining everyone while he figures it out?). But nowhere did I say he finds scum in a handful of posts and calls them out the instant he does so. Better?
I should patent a Method for Calling Back to Previous Posts to Highlight Apparent Inconsistencies, comprising...
In my opinion, when Ray reads a Townie-role pm, he sees an opportunity to speak without the necessary filter of scumplay, and I feel his objective is to point out who scum is early on, make us laugh while he figures it out, and then get lynched for his candor or Killed for the threat he poses scum.
"his objective is to point out who scum is early on" - your words

How is locating scum privately the same as pointing out who scum is? Pointing out is an outward-directed, communicative activity.

Now, if you weren't clear enough, as you seem to think, then you must realize that this entire discussion was caused by the lack of clarity in your expression. These aren't my standards for recognizing a townie RayFrost, they're yours; I'm simply pointing out that your standard as stated does not speak well of RayFrost. Are you now saying you misspoke?
My judgment though isn't based solely on our previous play; I did spend quite a bit of time meta-ing the hell out of him. I feel that he is Town in this game. That's subject to change, of course. But your request that I meta him and report my findings
opened up the door
to calling him out for a meta-match (this, by the way, is part of the reason I'm developing a low opinion of meta). So Acosmist, I'm curious. You asked my findings. What were yours?
The way you stated your findings did not jibe with what's gone on in this thread. As we're finding out, that may be an artifact of a certain infelicity in your expression of your findings. Still, as you can imagine, I'm not going to let it just drop at that, and I want to press this to the hilt. If the rot extends beyond the words, I'd like to unearth it.

My findings: There is more than meets the eye about RayFrost in his games. He's Salvador Dali with a keen scumdar. It's easy to dismiss what he says, and, to be fair, he seems to have trouble building a coherent case, but he seems to have a decent hitrate. That's RayFrost as town. As scum, he plays up to the chaotic posting style. Where town RayFrost conceals insight behind madness, scum RayFrost uses misdirection merely to confuse. It's hard to tell the difference. It's certainly not such a profound difference that I thought your comments about his town behavior were accurate.
I concur here. I also perceived this as town-on-town. I know you both had good points, but while the argument became the center of the game, I think the beating of the dead horse threw us a bit off track.
I want very much to absolve myself of responsibility for any derailing, but, as I said before, it was a derail. The energy expended was not commensurate with the progress it produced. But certainly no one can use that argument as an excuse to lurk.

Lawls, that means you. :shakes fist:
Please let me know of anything at all that I missed?
If I think of anything I certainly will. I do have a question: do you understand how your meta of RayFrost led to quite a bit of this?
Shall I include the number for the DTV help desk? ;) Honestly, though. You meta'd me. Town OR scum, you have to know I'd have at least told y'all I would be back if I could get online at all.
Yeah, welcome back! Here are a few hundred words for you to read.
I really like this. I might incorporate this, but I think Acosmist would have a stroke. :P
I really despise multiple posting beyond the triple. I remember reading a game where a certain very annoying person would just post every ADHD-addled thought in his brain in a separate post. I'm pretty sure some entire pages of the thread were just his posts, so, at least 15 in a row. He was town and I couldn't help but think that his buffoonish rambling was a major cause of the mafia victory. I know I was tired of reading it...

Bridges is not that bad but he needs to stop giving me flashbacks.
Lawls wrote:I'll become more active when I'm being asked questions and when I feel the need to point out or say something.
I suppose the second conjunct just hasn't been true? Because questions have definitely been directed your way and you haven't answered them, so I know the first conjunct is true...
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:
Lawls wrote:No I'm not waiting for something.
Could you elaborate on this?
You asked him if he was waiting for something...

Where are you going with this?
RayFrost wrote:The game has since finished with an uber awesome town win where scum were lynched D2 and then D3.
Thank you; I know if we had asked Lawls to tell us we'd be waiting for weeks.
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Post by Panacea »

Acosmist wrote: Just to clarify here, this havingfitz discussion has me quoting myself a lot, with his comments in bold right after my quotes...so if it looks like I'm quoting him, I'm usually quoting both of us. Try to keep up.
I try to avoid doing that, for this reason. :P

First off, let me say that currently I am about dead-even between Lawls and Cojin. On one hand, I feel the Cojin case to have quite a bit of substance for maliciousness. On the other, Lawls
has
been acting in a manner harmful to town. I'm not really sold on the idea that Lawls will post more later as being worthy enough to warrant giving him a pass today and WIFOMing ourselves into next week Tomorrow if we do. I suppose then that I'm
leaning
more toward a Lawls lynch for that reason (though I probably wouldn't rue a Cojin-lynch, either, quite frankly), but I'm one of those people who believes in milking Day phases for all they're worth. When one of them does something to break the justification-tie, I'll let y'all know. I was pretty certain I'd already voted Lawls a long time ago (beyond RV) and the last count was off, hence the comment at the bottom of my return-to-game wall. I can't find it in my iso, though, so I guess I was wrong.
Acosmist wrote: the repeated "gibberish" dismissals were flat wrong. And I'll call you on that.
I'll second that.

I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIX THIS QUOTE ISSUE:
Acosmist wrote:
Nachomamma8 wrote:
RayFrost wrote: Sorry, I didn't know the # of votes on cojin, so I didn't vote him.
But the Cojin case didn't arrive until waaay after you killed the Pan wagon, and you didn't really do a whole lot to offer any substitute suspects before then.
Someone else noticed! We'll see what Panacea thinks of that... [/quote ]

Sigh. Panacea finds it questionable. I'll give you that. I'll await his explanation before reading too terribly much much into it, but I will do so.
Acosmist wrote:
SOMEONE wrote:
Depends on the type of lurking. EF's doesn't bother me at all because he's posting consistently, and he's posting content when he posts (usually). Later in the game, my mind may change about that but I hope that when there is more to talk about, he'll have more to say.

Everyone answer this, the varying opinions are good (diversity is strength! War is peace, etc.).
Acosmist wrote: Expressions like "a mite extreme" don't express much. I agree that Ray didn't clear all of the people he picked out as more or less townie, but the point is valid - 4 positive judgments, 2 of them strong, before the first negative judgment was rendered.
Elaborated as such, I can accept this point. I was questioning it as a potential tactic to discredit him, which is why I visited it.
Acosmist wrote:
Reading that little gem of his again, I was struck by how defensive it sounds. What do you think? Note that I originally wanted to have your thoughts on it, and that was all I wanted - I saw a blip on the radar, thought I might be making a mountain out of a molehill, and wanted your opinion to correct a possible mistake. And then Ray freaked out.. A little bit. A slight freak-out. A mite extreme, isn't it?
Given his history, no, I wouldn't say it was overly defensive. Mainly because I can see his point on meta-ing, and how it's too easy to match a meta (or a meta-newb player's notation of a meta). Where as I've learned in this game it works if you do it correctly, it's a delicate art. If you fail, you fail hard. I don't particularly like the risks of doing it incorrectly.
Acosmist wrote: How is locating scum privately the same as pointing out who scum is? Pointing out is an outward-directed, communicative activity.

Now, if you weren't clear enough, as you seem to think, then you must realize that this entire discussion was caused by the lack of clarity in your expression. These aren't my standards for recognizing a townie RayFrost, they're yours; I'm simply pointing out that your standard as stated does not speak well of RayFrost. Are you now saying you misspoke?
I think I have an idea of the communication breakdown (Led Zep fans at the table? :D) here, and if I'm correct here, I can see where this would be my fault. I should have had more insight here, and I apologize: What is your idea of "early on" as I've stated it? (I hope you'll forgive me for hearing your answer first? Gotta be careful, y'see.)
Acosmist wrote: My findings: There is more than meets the eye about RayFrost in his games.
He's Salvador Dali with a keen scumdar
. It's easy to dismiss what he says, and, to be fair, he seems to have trouble building a coherent case, but he seems to have a decent hitrate. That's RayFrost as town. As scum, he plays up to the chaotic posting style. Where town RayFrost conceals insight behind madness, scum RayFrost uses misdirection merely to confuse. It's hard to tell the difference. It's certainly not such a profound difference that I thought your comments about his town behavior were accurate.
(First, LOVE the bolded; it's perfect!) Maybe I should try to be less concise in my metas in future, and follow more of this guideline. I just feel that the way I did it gives too much away. If that is the case, Ray, I apologize. Meta-ing Ray (since, as I've said, I feel that if I was 5784974 times better at MS and wittier, I'd play like RayFrost), I would see his avatar and try to imagine what I'd say in his position as scum and what I'd say as town. The amount of times it'd hit correctly was enough to lead me to conclude that in this very delicate situation, I'd have a decent gut-feel for Ray's alignment. Maybe that was a bad idea, I don't know. But the way we play lends itself to this meta-tactic, I believe.
Acosmist wrote: do you understand how your meta of RayFrost led to quite a bit of this?
I'll need that answer first, but in the meantime, have I mentioned that I'm rapidly losing respect for meta? :P
Acosmist wrote: I remember reading a game where a certain very annoying person would just post every ADHD-addled thought in his brain in a separate post.
I totally think I know who you're talking about, if it was an MS player. Should I ever receive him in a modlist for a game, I will modkill him. No lie.
Acosmist wrote:
RayFrost wrote: The game has since finished with an uber awesome town win where scum were lynched D2 and then D3.
Thank you; I know if we had asked Lawls to tell us we'd be waiting for weeks.
Ray: Thank you! :D
Acosmist: Ha ha, excellent.
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Post by Panacea »

EBWOP:
Panacea wrote:
Acosmist wrote:
SOMEONE wrote:

I don't like it at all. He's reminded us a few times that he's a newbie, which don't like as a rule, and it always seems he posts just enough to be trailing along without committing too far and then skipping away. It sets off my scumdar, but I'll check him out more after the Night's events.
Elementary Fermion
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Panacea wrote:He's reminded us a few times that he's a newbie, which don't like as a rule, and it always seems he posts just enough to be trailing along without committing too far and then skipping away. It sets off my scumdar, but I'll check him out more after the Night's events.
Let me see what I can do with this. When I made newbie references, the following is what I was trying to articulate:
*I have played Mafia elsewhere a few times.
*Those times were not informal, but were not at the commitment/zealousness level of MS.
*I personally would like to play Mafia more frequently, with the type of people who populate MS.
*I have no illusions that I am inexperienced relative to people who have played multiple games on MS.
*To further my goal of playing more frequently and on par with MS regulars, I would like to learn more about how this particular incantation of Mafia is approached.
*A newbie game is likely a good place to pick up such instruction, whilst working through a game with similarly experienced and similarly inquisitive newbies such as myself.
*Rather than developing in such a fashion, this particular game has developed into a collection of experienced players saying little of importance, but doing so
ad nauseam
, with a mod who cannot count to three in order to get an accurate vote count and who does not respond to PMs.
*The (very slightly) occasional IC tip that actually comes through is as profound as "do not self-hammer" and "link to your previous posts if necessary."
*Meh. QED

So, there that is. I apologize for my being previously inarticulate. I will try to correct the same in the future.

When I say that I find much of what is posted to be unhelpful, thus rendering Day 1 barely useful and less than worthy of the volumes and volumes of text being generated, I am presenting the impressions I have developed over my past few games and looking for an explanation from our panoply of experience in this game of why my impression is not correct. Please, for the love of God, explain to me in clear and concise terms how three weeks of “lurking,” “scumdar,” and “answer me” work. Show me a positive end result, and I will be receptive to the concepts so employed. But if (and, I am willing to bet, when) we lynch a townie this first Day, I fear it will be because we were essentially bludgeoned into doing so by one of the players who talks and talks and talks without saying anything. It could happen innocently, to be sure, but I predict that is how it plays out. And, should I be shown to be wrong, I will gladly eat my words. Winning is better than being a correct pessimist.

Moving along, Acosmist pointed out some specific instances of this kind of language, so I am not going to dredge up more specific examples, but I fail to see how saying things like “I think he might be sort of slightly scummy but maybe not but he doesn’t post too much so I think I might investigate him because he’s a mite-suspicious” &c. help the cause. At all. So, umm, someone is in this game. That gives him (or her) a 22% chance of being scum. Congratulations, you are all potentially scum. The fact that someone does not post with a frequency that conforms to my own pre-conceived notions of pro-town posting frequency doesn’t (or shouldn’t) make him suspicious. The frequent poster may find the more pensive type scummy, but the reflective player may (should?) easily find the frequent poster equally suspicious. I attempted (poorly in retrospect) to bring this point up before, but here it is. I did not enter this game believing that it should take 500 posts to lynch someone the first day; obviously some of you did. If your experience has conclusively shown that your way is correct and mine is naïve at best, please enlighten me.

I am not saying uncommitted language, and lots of it, is necessarily wrong, or that it cannot work, or that it does not have its uses. What I am saying is that I do not see them. (Yet—benefit of the doubt.) Much like above (way above), when I asked about this business of “meta”-ing (Acosmist, I think I understand exactly the disgust you have with the perversion of that prefix), it is because I am in this game as much to learn as I am to play. Everyone else, however, is here just to play, not to assist or to guide, and I do not feel this game is the proper forum for such mindsets. This, of course, ties back into my discussion of the newbie thing, immediately above.

This post will be the last time that I will mention these topics, however. I will do my best to abandon my idea of contributing when there is something to be said, and start posting, frequently (to make everyone happy!), whenever I think someone else took the time to type something unhelpful.
Lawls
Lawls
Goon
Lawls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Post by Lawls »

Cojin wrote:
Lawls wrote:No I'm not waiting for something. I'll become more active when I'm being asked questions and when I feel the need to point out or say something. No I will not stay this passive the whole game.
At what point in the game will you become more active?

pancea you cant refrence ongoing games in any way
most likely after the first night if im still alive
Elementary Fermion
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Lawls wrote:most likely after the first night if im still alive
Do you anticipate being the first nightkill? What reasons would there be for you to be the nightkill?

Or do you think that you will be lynched this Day? What do you think of the case against you?
Lawls
Lawls
Goon
Lawls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Post by Lawls »

No I don't anticipate being nk'd. There are no real reasons why I should be nk'd.
I do think that I will be lynched this day. The case against me is pretty strong, but its just the way I play
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:19 am

Post by havingfitz »

Damb Acosmist...that was was a painfully long post. I’ll refrain from the embedded bold responses since that would really make this reply confusing.
Acosmist wrote:Executive summary: havingfitz not a fan of Cojin, Acosmist reluctantly comes to Cojin's defense. EF's lurking is a source of disagreement, but the consensus is that he's not a good topic today. Panacea misspoke? Or not? Lawls is not even answering questions directed at him. My vote hasn't changed, gets more solid with each nonresponsive Lawls post.
I am not a fan is correct. How does your defense of Cojin exhibit reluctance?
Acosmist wrote:
havingfitz wrote:My comments in bold:
Acosmist wrote: Cojin isn't as scummy as havingfitz thinks.
He may very well be town…but his play so far has him right up there with Lawls in my opinion. It’s just as accurate a statement to say, “Cojin is scummier than Acosmist thinks.”
That line of the summary was a conclusion supported by the rest of the post. You disagree with the conclusion, and you disagree with the logic I used to get there. That's fine; grabbing the conclusion out of the summary paragraph and criticizing it in isolation seems futile.
Where I got it from makes no difference. It was at the beginning of your post and was criticized where it stood. Regardless of where your “isn’t as scummy as havingfitz thinks” was in your post my reply would still be the same.
Acosmist wrote:
ISO 0 - Good post by Cojin, as you recognize.
Even the blind pig finds an occasional acorn.
Sometimes the scummy whole will have a townie part. I disagree that the whole is scummy, but I think you should at least concede something to the dude.
I am in agreement with Cojin that Lawls is scummy.
Acosmist wrote:
That's completely unfair. Cojin's first post is calling Panacea out for an inconsistency in her early posting - she didn't want to place a second vote on someone, so, when she realized she had, she switched to another person...who already had a vote on him. Cojin never said L-3 wasn't a big deal.
I disagree…Pan was freaking a bit at putting someone at L-3, tried to make amends and oops, put someone else at L-3. Despite his shocked next post lamenting Pan being put at L-3 herself (which was inaccurate as she was actually at L-2 and exhibited his lack of game awareness)…he never felt the need to display L-3 shock over Lawls or EF being put at L-3 by Pan. Instead he questions her on why EF at L-3 is an issue and Lawls isn’t (but according to Pan…both her L-3’s were inadvertent [and therefore IMO equivalent to each other])
His omission to express shock at a certain instance of a class of behaviors doesn't estop him from bringing it up later. You're inferring a certain attitude from his silence. You can pour whatever meaning you want into that empty vessel, but you're the source of it, not Cojin.
I’m the source of the meaning? WTF? Would you say a large part of this game is to interpret the actions and comment’s of other players? For me the answer is yes and that is what I am doing with Cojin. So yes I am the source of the meaning as it is my interpretation of Cojin’s words and actions. He didn’t exclaim when people (Lawls and EF) were put at L-3 by Pan but did when she was put at L-3 (actually L-2) by Edprata. I see an inconsistency with the way he treated both situation. He called Pan out for her behavior and then basically did the same thing he called her out on.
Acosmist wrote:
ISO 2 - He made a grammatical error - he meant "Everybody, besides her flop, why do you think we should lynch her?" He explains that in the next post.
Using his “muddled” thoughts?
You weren't paying enough attention to see the connection between that post and the next one, which would explain your misinterpretation. Note: that's not Cojin's fault.
Uh...I read Cojin’s posts fine. His ISO 2 and 3 posts were cr@p and he still hasn’t answered my questions.
Acosmist wrote:
ISO 3 - His thoughts are a bit muddled here, I agree. I think Cojin should answer these questions. There are non-scummy possible reasons, though, so I wouldn't jump all over him for that...yet.
Muddled = gibberish IMO. Cojin brings out the pessimist in me.
The dismissiveness isn't helping.
I’m not dismissing anything. If anything I am doing the opposite of dismiss in regards to Cojin’s gameplay so far. Are you dismissing his play?
Acosmist wrote:
ISO 4 - Yep, contentless and a broken promise to boot. I expect that avatar to be pretty awesome when it finally comes.
Agreed
For completeness, let's high-five each other over this again.
High five.
Acosmist wrote:
ISO 5 - Lawls has been lurking, and Cojin was on him early for it. Point: Cojin.
Uh…ok
Do you disagree?

Well...considering Cojin quotes me and paraphrases me in his assessment/vote of Lawls...no, I don’t disagree. I’m just not as impressed with his scumhunting efforts towards Lawls as you are.
Acosmist wrote:
No, that's not how it works. The point would be removed if something about his subsequent post
negated
the value of the previous post. Say Cojin called someone out as being scum, got him lynched, and - mirabile dictu! - that person was scum. We'd give Cojin a point for the analysis leading to the lynch. But suppose Cojin himself bites it at a future time, and we found out he was scum with the original guy - well, remove that point, because correctly identifying your scumbuddy is not an achievement of any kind. The situation here isn't like that. If he screws up, it doesn't negate the fact that he got something right previously.

So in summary...if Cojin does something positive he gets a point, but if he does something scummy like spread a misconception...just gloss over it?
Acosmist wrote:
ISO 7 - Continues to press Lawls.
Press Lawls? He answered a question...there was no pressing IMO…just reiterating what he had already said.
He calls Lawls on what Lawls is doing wrong. It's not a well fleshed-out case, but it's something.

I disagree...him responding to a question by reiterating minor accusations he took from someone else is not applying pressure. It’s weak participation.
Acosmist wrote:
ISO 9 - That's not gibberish. At all. He's elaborating on his Lawls opinion and bringing up valid points. I don't like the direction your criticism is taking, dismissing Cojin's valid points as "gibberish."
The direction I’m taking is pretty clear…Cojin’s posts are lacking IMO and he is not playing attention to the game…which he has demonstrated numerous times.
The direction you were taking was dismissive of the content of his posts because of the grammar. That's not an acceptable line of attack. I know you have substantive criticisms of him too, and you made some good points, but the repeated "gibberish" dismissals were flat wrong. And I'll call you on that.

Call away. My opinion is that if he isn’t making sense (and his ISO post is...once again...cr @p) he’s talking gibberish and not bringing anything to the game.
Elementary Fermion wrote:This still isn't sitting right with me. Havingfitz seemed pretty convinced about Lawls, or at least had the super strong suspicions, but changed once he was at L-1. While there is something to be said for allowing Day 1 to drag on even longer (although I won't be the one to say it, as I am on the record with my thoughts on Day 1), it seemed an odd reason and odd timing to switch votes. I am not calling it scummy, but there is something about it that keeps making me scrtach my head. Havingfitz, would you care to explain a little more why this single reason you gave justified this switch?
I have super strong suspicions towards both Lawls and Cojin both. Like I said...I doubt they are both scum but I’d be shocked if at least one wasn’t. I don’t know which is which and each time one of them posts their drivel it puts them in the lead of the other. I gave two points when I changed my vote to Cojin...not one. He is not paying attention to the game (as he has exhibited on numerous occasions) and his concern over what others think was telling for me. Additionally...I see both Lawls and Cojin as easy targets for a mislynch (in the case of whichever one of them may turn out to be town) and the fact Lawls is attracting a larger wagon makes me think he is slightly less likely to be scum (though his play is on par scum-wise with Cojin IMO).
Town 57w-66l :: Not Town 29w-16l:: TBD 2
V/LA on weekends (i.e. RL > mafia)

The shortest GTKAS thread ever!
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:51 am

Post by Panacea »

Elementary, your post gives me a feeling you're frustrated town. Would you agree?
Elementary wrote: *I have played Mafia elsewhere a few times.
Right, I took note of this. I've had a few encounters with people who gravitated here from other sites, and though I began on MS, I have it on good authority that it's a bit of a shock to immigrate here. This, and the fact that you've been offering relevant observations (whatever their frequency or quantity), and that you expressed what I believe to be a sincere desire to build more off of N1 than D1 are the reasons I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt. (Note: Elementary's promise to contribute more later holds more water with me than Lawls's because I feel he'll be more inclined to keep his promise than Lawls will.)

Also on that note, Elementary, thank you for the play-by-play list of differences between your past experiences and what you've seen here in this community. That helps me a lot.
Elementary wrote: *Rather than developing in such a fashion, this particular game has developed into a collection of experienced players saying little of importance, but doing so ad nauseam,
I will agree with you here. I'm usually not one for such immense walls of text; the occasional, sure, but I'm alarmed by how they seem to keep getting longer and longer with no way of cutting out what I've got. You'll notice that a lot of it's an ongoing discussion between two players. I will ask that in D2, we all try to avoid this. It's good to hop into conversations that don't concern you, but who wants to when you've got paragraphs and paragraphs to skim through? One-on-one discussions aren't going to help us too much, I don't think. Not to mention that Phate will have a helluva time finding replacements for this game in future (if we need them) when there's not a snowball's chance a Newbie will want to wade through this.
Elementary wrote: with a mod who cannot count to three in order to get an accurate vote count and who does not respond to PMs.
Hahahaha. Ha. Ha. Ha. I'll keep this restrained and sweet. He is your mod. You're obligated to respect him. If you have a problem with the way he is running things and you can't get a PM, take it to the list mod or keep it to yourself. Do not whine about/insult him in thread. It's disrespectful as hell, and I would shed no tears if he modkilled you for the way you just said that.
Elementary wrote: Please, for the love of God, explain to me in clear and concise terms how three weeks of “lurking,” “scumdar,” and “answer me” work.
If he is scum (and I don't like that you're so adamant that our D1 lynch won't be), the interaction will possibly grant insight to his scumbuddy.
Elementary wrote: I am in this game as much to learn as I am to play. Everyone else, however, is here just to play, not to assist or to guide, and I do not feel this game is the proper forum for such mindsets.
You're absolutely right. I will try to do better.
Elementary wrote: But if (and, I am willing to bet, when) we lynch a townie this first Day, I fear it will be because we were essentially bludgeoned into doing so by one of the players who talks and talks and talks without saying anything. It could happen innocently, to be sure, but I predict that is how it plays out. And, should I be shown to be wrong, I will gladly eat my words. Winning is better than being a correct pessimist.
Meh. You feel that way, that's cool. I like to completely devote D1 to getting a feel for players. But since scum havena't had but a short amount of time to plan things in pre-game (oh, wait. This pre-game was a bit long...), this is a good place to come back to later once one scummy is dead and we're trying to find a buddy. Does that make sense?
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:53 am

Post by Panacea »

Oh, and happy scumday, Bridges!!
Elementary Fermion
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:28 am

Panacea wrote:Elementary, your post gives me a feeling you're frustrated town. Would you agree?
Is frustrated the same as bored stiff?
Panacea wrote:. . .I don't like that you're so adamant that our D1 lynch won't be [scum]. . .
Actually, what I said was "if (and, I am willing to bet, when) we lynch a townie this first Day, I fear it will be because [of reasons]." Come on now, English major, "I am willing to bet" on a particular occurrence is quite different from "adamantly" predicting said occurrence. Please quote me correctly; failure to do so is scummy.
Panacea wrote:I would shed no tears if he modkilled you for the way you just said that [in response to the ongoing incorrect vote tally].
This here is killer to me. No townie who embraces any sort of a desire to win this game would wish for the arbitrary modkilling of a fellow townie--especially for nothing more than the raising of a serious, and well documented, concern about the mechanics of the game in the genuine hope of correcting it. What if you yourself had put your vote on Lawls (instead of being
still
uncommitted after so long) believing you were only putting him at L-1, based on the published vote count, when in fact you ended up bring about his lynching and the end of the Day? Perhaps that is better than bringing it up, but I expected better organization out of MS than that. If this is the sort of eggshells upon which one must walk at this site, well then wow on that. Perhaps a modkill (though unjustified) would cure my frustration and get this manner-less ruffian out of your hair all at once.

This all as it may be, the embracing what could be an opportunistic death of a townie for no justifiable reason is far beyond the scum vibes that Lawls puts out. I said I wouldn't change my vote on Lawls until I had a reason, and since I now do, I hereby

Unvote

and

Vote: Panacea
Elementary Fermion
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:38 am

havingfitz wrote:
Acosmist wrote:
negated

So in summary...if Cojin does something positive he gets a point, but if he does something scummy like spread a misconception...just gloss over it?
I think what Acosmist is saying is that getting something wrong (innocently) does not change the fact you got something right earlier.

Consider American football. If the home team kicks a field goal, they are now winning 3-0. If they again attempt to kick another field goal, only this time it is wide of the mark, they are still winning 3-0. Points are not removed for a subsequent failure.

Now, however, suppose (for the sake of this hypothetical) that the first field goal was later found to be defective: the home team surreptitiously had the goal posts widened, the ball moved ten yards closer, and the ball filled with helium. Then, as its kicking of the field goal was not "an achievement of any kind" the home team should have those points removed from its score.

If Cojin leads us to a correct lynch, but only because it was his partner and not because of his analysis, then his point in retrospect was not deserved at all. This I believe to be the point Acosmist was making.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 am

Post by Phate »

Elementary Fermion wrote:with a mod who cannot count to three in order to get an accurate vote count and who does not respond to PMs.
The Rules wrote:If you have an issue, problem, or complaint about my actions, do not post it in the game thread.
So I'll take it for granted that you're intentionally trying to piss me off. Are you doing it trying to get modkilled or are you just too stupid to read the rules of the game you're playing? I'm being lenient because this is a newbie game, but I suggest to you that rather than insulting the player who's taking time out of his busy life to provide the public service of moderating games for bitchy, ungrateful newbies like yourself, just post it in your LiveJournal. Carry on.

Edit: Oh, and to the rest of the players - I haven't been ignoring PMs, as EF's post implies. The PM in question was (itself a response to an inactivity prod) a correction of the votecount. I corrected the mistake when I had time (about a day later, I believe), and didn't think to send EF a gold star or whatever it is he wanted. Everyone is still free to send PMs to me.
Last edited by Phate on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will fuck up your name and gender. Deal with it.

PM me to replace into Infection Mafia, a semi-open Mini Theme.
Acosmist
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:57 am

Post by Acosmist »

Physician, heal thyself.
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Unvote, Vote: Elementary Fermion
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 am

Post by Panacea »

Whoa, Elementary, you need to calm yourself down. NO WHERE did I say I wanted a townie dead. I first tried to introduce you to the fact that you were in violation of the rules, and second noted that I wouldn't blame the Mod if he modkilled you. You're most DEFINITELY exaggerating, and I recommend taking twelve deep breaths before you post.

Personally, I'm reading Elementary's meltdown as (again) frustrated town, albeit postal, irritable town. Nacho, what makes you think it's not?
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:22 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

First off, that huge post when real suspicion was put on him. No pressure had been put on him beforehand, and the post seemed way out of character for him.

Second of all, this.
Elementary Fermion wrote: Is frustrated the same as bored stiff?

Woah. EF gives me the vibe that he's cautious with his voting, so when he says he's bored in the same post he believes he's pegged a scum, that sets my scumdar a-dinging. Also, it's inconsistent with the tone of his post; if he was town, he would be angry at you for trying to get him, an innocent townie, killed. He would be angry, but definitely not "bored stiff".
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Post by havingfitz »

Sweet...4 bandwagons. If Pan or Bridges votes for the other we can get up to 5. Thats a convoy!
Town 57w-66l :: Not Town 29w-16l:: TBD 2
V/LA on weekends (i.e. RL > mafia)

The shortest GTKAS thread ever!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”