Newbie 922: Day 3

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:42 am

Post by havingfitz »

Cojin wrote:
Cojin wrote:
I feel we shouldent pressure her for a claim, not this early there is not enough to go off of.
LOL! Oh, Cojin... Who said anything about a claim? That'll take some 'splainin'.
I was premptivly stopping someone from suggesting just that.

Ill go get myself an avatar rightn ow.
You brought up claims to prevent people from suggested them? <note to self: still happy where vote is>

Did someone ask you to get an avatar?

Votecount
Panacea - 3 (BridgesAndBaloons, Lawls, Edprata)
Lawls - 1 (Elementary Fermion)
havingfitz - 1 (Acosmist)
Independent John - 1 (Panacea)
Elementary Fermion - 1 (Independent John)
Cojin - 1 (havingfitz)

Not Voting - 1 (Cojin)

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.
Town 57w-66l :: Not Town 29w-16l:: TBD 2
V/LA on weekends (i.e. RL > mafia)

The shortest GTKAS thread ever!
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:46 am

Post by havingfitz »

Lawls...for someone with a lot of mafia experience you do not have a lot to say and you have been a bit lurky. One post a day is better than a lot of people (unfortunately) but three posts of little to no value aren't a very pro town effort. Town should be engaged in the game andd looking for scum.

BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 am

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

Alright, it's about now to reveal my reasons for my vote:

Panacea's first post came across as overly helpful, which only seemed scummy in tandem with the fact that she didn't take a side. She talked about the choice between RVS and RQS instead of making a single vote or question. It seemed a little odd and wanting to go with the majority. Now, granted, at this time I had never heard the idea of learning from the debate between RVS and RQS. In fact, I still find very little value in theory-discussion for finding town or scum. Theory discussion is helpful for newbies to learn, though.

So I decided to vote for her since she didn't make a vote or question.

Her overt worry of putting someone at L-2 (still really far away in a newbie game, and if that person was quick-hammered by scum, that directly shows us scum the next day, so L-2 is not really a concern right now) sort of compounded my ideas that she was being overtly careful.

On post 16 she does the same thing, entirely avoiding the bandwagons that help us sort scum from town. This might be more anti-town than scummy behavior.

Boiled down case: helpfulness without committing to definite action, overly careful.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:33 am

Panacea wrote: @Bridges: Would you mind providing an appropriate abbreviation?

Sorry, missed this before.

You can call me Bridges, Bab, B&B, or
Dr. Awesome
really anything that makes it clear you are referring to my user name. I guess Baloons or Balloons would work, too.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 am

Post by Panacea »

Lawls wrote: So much posts over RVS. People seem to be getting their panties in a twist, oh wait that's only Pancea. (Only cause you're a girl, good to see some chick mafia players)
What, no one at the table in drag? :lol:
Acosmist wrote: I spent far more time reading those than I wanted to, or expected to have to.

Panacea: you spam. A lot.
Yeah, sorry. :oops: Probably should've given you a warning label on that. I am working on it, though.
Acosmist wrote: Panacea is very deferential as town, and scattershot as mafia. She posts a lot no matter what. She can be a bit frivolous, whether town or mafia. As town, she tries to post game-relevant things, sometimes trying to get blood from a stone. As mafia, she throws up a smokescreen of dadaist ramblings.
I hadn't expected anyone to read
all
of them; your review is quite appreciated, though, thank you!
Bridges wrote: Alright, it's about now to reveal my reasons for my vote:

Panacea's first post came across as overly helpful, which only seemed scummy in tandem with the fact that she didn't take a side. She talked about the choice between RVS and RQS instead of making a single vote or question. It seemed a little odd and wanting to go with the majority. Now, granted, at this time I had never heard the idea of learning from the debate between RVS and RQS. In fact, I still find very little value in theory-discussion for finding town or scum. Theory discussion is helpful for newbies to learn, though.

So I decided to vote for her since she didn't make a vote or question.

Her overt worry of putting someone at L-2 (still really far away in a newbie game, and if that person was quick-hammered by scum, that directly shows us scum the next day, so L-2 is not really a concern right now) sort of compounded my ideas that she was being overtly careful.

On post 16 she does the same thing, entirely avoiding the bandwagons that help us sort scum from town. This might be more anti-town than scummy behavior.

Boiled down case: helpfulness without committing to definite action, overly careful.
I disagree, but accept your case. I do, however, take note of the fact that all this has been recycled. Somehow I got the impression you had a lot more than a case that's already been built in-forum.

@Lawls: I would really appreciate it if you'd
answer the question I keep asking you
. Why is your vote where it is?

:arrow: Edprada and Independent John, I'm notorious for calling prods. :D

Aaaaand:

unvote
Town: 2. 2.
Scum: 2. 1.
Acosmist
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Acosmist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Post by Acosmist »

havingfitz wrote:Did someone ask you to get an avatar?
See below.
Panacea wrote:Cojin and Edprada: Would y'all mind getting avis? It will help keep track of you both.
Moving on...
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:Boiled down case: helpfulness without committing to definite action, overly careful.
My read on Panacea's previous games was that she's very obliging as town. When she sticks her neck out and gets chastised by a more experienced player, she retreats pretty quickly. It might be the natural lack of confidence that comes from being in the uninformed majority. I don't know what it is, but the precise things you're pointing out as
scum
tells are things I made a note of when reading her
town
games.

Note: As those games progressed, I skimmed with a lower degree of precision. Therefore, more precisely, I would say that obsequiousness is an
early-game
town tell for Panacea. No offense, Fräulein Panacea, but I don't look forward to having to wade through the morass of your previous late-game posts to evaluate you later in this game.

Prediction: Panacea responds to my gentle insults by being apologetic and cheerful.

Request: people who make cases on other people try to base those cases on player-specific tells rather than working from a template.
Lawls
Lawls
Goon
Lawls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Post by Lawls »

havingfitz I can only really post one post a day as I'm in a different timezone when all the activity is happening so yeh kinda sucks.

Pancea my vote on you is only random as most people have been doing, nothing has really struck out at me yet but I will keep my vote on you at this stage.
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 am

Post by havingfitz »

Acosmist wrote:
havingfitz wrote:Did someone ask you to get an avatar?
See below.
Panacea wrote:Cojin and Edprada: Would y'all mind getting avis? It will help keep track of you both.
Ahhhh...I did a search for avatar. I saw this post but I thought she was talking about the rental car company and was insinuating we needed GPS to locate them :D (Which is more applicable I think).
Lawls wrote:havingfitz I can only really post one post a day as I'm in a different timezone when all the activity is happening so yeh kinda sucks.
Your timezone limits you to one post a day? That’s a new one on me. Which timezone would that be? A different timezone (which I am in as well...GMT) might keep you from realtime, instant message type, posting on the board with others. It should not be an excuse for no content. Having a read through, formulating opinions, discussing suspicions, and providing justification for votes is in now way dependent on timezones.

Independent John
Independent John
Goon
Independent John
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:36 am

Post by Independent John »

Sorry guys but first and foremost I am responding to a prod, but I have and will be over the next 2 days busy with university starting again and my commitment to the frisbee club and other important societies there I will not be active but I shall try and do some reading tonight and report back asap!
It's not a lie if you believe it.
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47 am

Post by havingfitz »

Independent John wrote:Sorry guys but first and foremost I am responding to a prod, but I have and will be over the next 2 days busy with university starting again and my commitment to the frisbee club and other important societies there I will not be active but I shall try and do some reading tonight and report back asap!
You did not foresee these conflicts when you joined up?

FoS Independent John
for coordinated lurking.

Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 am

Post by Panacea »

Acosmist wrote: No offense, Fräulein Panacea, but I don't look forward to having to wade through the morass of your previous late-game posts to evaluate you later in this game.
Oh, no worries! Trust me, I know I've had a habit of being chatty. Scum from my last Townie game told me in post-game that it was part of the reason I was Nk'ed N1; I'm still working on game theory, but I know I'm useful in keeping us rolling.
Acosmist wrote: Prediction: Panacea responds to my gentle insults by being apologetic and cheerful.
... Wow, you are really good..! :o But I'll raise you one semi-irrelevant question: you wouldn't be some type of writer now, would you?
Lawls wrote: Pancea my vote on you is only random
as most people have been doing
There are only three votes on me, one of which has been claimed to have actually had purpose. "Most people"..? You're coming off as rather scummy to me right now.
Independent John wrote: Haven't contributed anything to the hunt and don't intend to for the next few days, ending in an absense of over 1/3 of the Day phase.
(Sorry; RayFrost is one of my MS heroes.)

I should be studying for my Anthropology midterm in an hour, so I'm mostly just going to tweak a list of Thesp's (Acosmist, yes, I did this as scum; regardless of what my allignment was in that game, it moved us out of stagnant waters, and RVS has fallen apart. It isn't random this time, either):

Havingfitz
: Do you enjoy having town roles or scum roles more? On an unrelated note, are you happy?
Bridges
: Are you scum? If not, why are you lying?
Lawls
: How good would you consider yourself at MafiaScum?
Independent John
: Do you think lurking is a scumtell?
Elementary
: What's the best method for catching scum?
Cojin
: Do you play better as town or scum? Which do you prefer?
Acosmist
: Do you find happiness in receiving role PMs? Were you happy when you got your role PM for this game?
Edprada
: Do you really
Edprada wrote: have nothing to hide.
? Do you really think
l[ing] back a bit and observ[ing] how this go for the first days
is a good idea?
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:47 am

Post by havingfitz »

Panacea wrote:
Havingfitz
: Do you enjoy having town roles or scum roles more?
I have only had one scum role...in a game I replaced into. It was fun...and slightly stressful. Being town isn't stressful...until you are in LYLO and are the game deciding vote. I don't think I have had enough of an opportunity as scum to answer. I look forward to more games as scum...some day.
Panacea wrote:On an unrelated note, are you happy?
This question got a grin out of me. So at the moment...yes.

Elementary Fermion
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Elementary Fermion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 am

Post by Elementary Fermion »

Panacea wrote:
Elementary
: What's the best method for catching scum?
By voting for them! :lol:

But really, in the few games that I have played, the people who talked the most and the least were scummy, or at least had some other non-vanilla role. After a lynch and a nightkill have both been consummated, I find that the true hunt can begin, based on those two actions and the responses thereto.
Cojin
Cojin
Goon
Cojin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Post by Cojin »

Cojin : Do you play better as town or scum? Which do you prefer?
I prefer town as i find it less stressing.
Your timezone limits you to one post a day? That’s a new one on me. Which timezone would that be? A different timezone (which I am in as well...GMT) might keep you from realtime, instant message type, posting on the board with others. It should not be an excuse for no content. Having a read through, formulating opinions, discussing suspicions, and providing justification for votes is in now way dependent on timezones.
I think what they are trying to say is more or less, they are not on at the same time we are, but givin the amount of time that has progress and the amount of posts per person, being in a diffrent time zone would not affect how much they post or how often, it would just atribute to lack of simulposting, if anything I am taking his actions of small posts and trying to excuse his lurking ness with uninformed filler is nothing other then
active lurking

Vote: Lawls
Communism mafia will return next marathon
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:34 pm

@54, I'm fully aware that my case seems to be recycyled from others, but I can gurantee those were my reasons for keeping the vote. As for withholding reasons, I find it generates more interesting reactions to give votes without reasons early game. It also subtly hints at the idea of generating a bandwagon, which is the most useful information-gathering tool town has Day 1.

unvote

I've about gotten what I think I'm going to get out of that vote.

havingfitz wrote:
Independent John wrote:Sorry guys but first and foremost I am responding to a prod, but I have and will be over the next 2 days busy with university starting again and my commitment to the frisbee club and other important societies there I will not be active but I shall try and do some reading tonight and report back asap!

FoS Independent John
for coordinated lurking.
FOS: Havingfitz

Panacea wrote:
Bridges
: Are you scum? If not, why are you lying?
I'm not scum, and I haven't lied once this game. Also, I have stopped beating my wife... er I mean I haven't stopped...
Signature:
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Post by Phate »

RayFrost replaces Edprata.
I will fuck up your name and gender. Deal with it.

PM me to replace into Infection Mafia, a semi-open Mini Theme.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Yo, I've replaced in due to the mod and a few of the players.

Now I'm just waiting for a role PM from the mod.
don't you feel silly now?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Post by RayFrost »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote:Some questions to get us started:

1) Have you played with anyone on this list before?
2) What is your prior mafia game experience?
3) What is your favorite fruit?
4) Self-identify an aspect of your personality or mafia-playstyle.
Yes, i have. Specifically, I've played with havingfitz and panacea before, not including ongoing games.

Look at my wiki. It contains all 343827149 of my games.

My favorite fruit is the dreaded Frospin fruit of awesome + 9 (also known as the apple).

According to Zachrulez, my playstyle is eccentric and erratic.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Post by RayFrost »

havingfitz wrote:Doing a little re-reading during this slow spell.....

Panacea’s first post strikes me as a bit overly helpful. Explaining RVS and RQS was fine...but then following it up with the “Which sounds best” question seemed to be just a bit over the top. Like you were trying to determine the way the players would want to proceed before doing so.
RayFrost's intro post wrote:[Intro] Hello everybody, I am your friendly neighborhood
semi-experienced (SE)
inexperience-challenged (IC) player.

Basically, I'm this guy who has played some games and has some experience, and I'm meant to help you newbies along in your development processes.

I've had some previous experience with players thinking the moderator sets the roles manually and will set more experienced players on each side, blah, blah, blah.

The standard for setting roles is to use random.org and let it generate who gets what role.

Some good information to have (standard mafia terminology) is as follows...

OMGUS, WIFOM, Bussing, Mafia Etiquette, Lynch-or-Lose, Random Vote, and the Random Questioning Stage

These are all links to (what I feel to be) rather important information.

It's recommended reading for those of you that are new.[/intro]
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm

wow, this game is incredibly experienced for a newbie game.
4ICs
2SE
3 newbies.

woh.
Signature:
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Oi, everybody, lawls is a newbie.

His '30+' games offsite don't say anhthing, considering the difference in quality across sites...

[ongoing game reference removed - RayFrost]
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Post by Panacea »

Mobile atm, so I can't do much. Just desperately wanted to spam you all with an

OHMYGOD, RAYFROST IS HERE!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

post!! Ahh! Welcome, Ray!!

K, more later. :D
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Post by RayFrost »

oh, and I've played with cojin before.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Post by RayFrost »

oh, and
unvote

the panacea case is terrible.

pan is obv town to me.

the being helpful bit from pan is probably something she learned from me (I'm her idol :wink: ), so it's hardly a scumtell (especially since I did it as town... :P ).

And the lack of taking a stance between the RVS and the RQS is something I'll let pan respond to.

Her careful attitude is hardly scummy, considering that 1) she should be careful, as being careful stops stupid mistakes, 2) carefulness isn't scummy without specific logic to support it (such as this person is being really careful in what they say in order to avoid stepping on any toes, obv scum!!!!foenw!!!), and this case lacks any specific logic to support worrying about the number of votes somebody is away from a lynch being a scumtell (ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THIS IS A MAJOR WORRY ACROSS ALL NEWBIE GAMES).

And I am actually the most experienced player here (by # of games and probably # of posts, too, considering BaB[oon] is only at 1800+ posts and I'm at 6k+ posts :P ).

Also, Edprata's vote on pan was really scummy. But I replaced edprata, so blegh.
Panacea
Panacea
Goon
Panacea
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:32 pm

Post by Panacea »

BridgesAndBalloons wrote: As for withholding reasons, I find it generates more interesting reactions to give votes without reasons early game. It also subtly hints at the idea of generating a bandwagon, which is the most useful information-gathering tool town has Day 1.
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:
havingfitz wrote:

FoS Independent John
for coordinated lurking.
FOS: Havingfitz
Even if I can marginally accept this lack-of-reason business in regards to a vote, that does not extend to FoS'es. They carry very little weight when justified; they provide none whatsoever when left to the imagination. Will you elaborate on that FoS?
RayFrost wrote: According to Zachrulez, my playstyle is eccentric and erratic.
(And epic. And containing the greatest flavor ever. Case in point: post #68. :lol: )
RayFrost wrote: I'm her idol. :wink:
It's true. I'm naming my firstborn after him and everything... Sure hope it's a boy...
RayFrost wrote: (especially since I did it as town... :P).
You going to do it as Town here, too? :P
Panacea wrote:
Edprada
: Do you really
Edprada wrote: have nothing to hide.
? Do you really think
Edprada wrote: l[ying] back a bit and observ[ing] how this go[es] for the first days
is a good idea?
RayFrost
: Is there a difference between scummy and anti-town?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”