Mini 891 - British Comedy Mafia (Game Over)

MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

High-fives!

Also I missed earlier that Lyman actually entirely avoided answering my question:
MacavityLock wrote:How is voting No Lynch at this stage of the game, placing it at L-6, depriving us of information?
Josh Lyman wrote:I figured if I voted him, his vote might move; also, a pressure vote such as that tends to elicit information.
Yes, his vote might move, but that would be true whether had earlier voted No Lynch, randomly voted for a player, or didn't drop a vote. No Lynch isn't any more anti-info in this regard.
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Post by Josh Lyman »

MacavityLock wrote:High-fives!

Also I missed earlier that Lyman actually entirely avoided answering my question:
MacavityLock wrote:How is voting No Lynch at this stage of the game, placing it at L-6, depriving us of information?
Josh Lyman wrote:I figured if I voted him, his vote might move; also, a pressure vote such as that tends to elicit information.
Yes, his vote might move, but that would be true whether had earlier voted No Lynch, randomly voted for a player, or didn't drop a vote. No Lynch isn't any more anti-info in this regard.
Okay, now that you've made me actually put in the effort and
think
about it, a NL vote this early wouldn't exactly (on it own) deprive us of information; my thinking was along the lines of "they've voted, now there's no more to talk about (or hear about from them)."

I grant you this, I was mistaken.
Fuzzyman
Fuzzyman
Goon
Fuzzyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Post by Fuzzyman »

Would you say that's the case moreso than when voting for a person?

I can't say I'm a big supporter of the Josh wagon; fun things (scumminess) and games (anti-townness) can be different things, but it doesn't mean that there can't be things like football (voting no-lynch), which is both a game and fun (both scummy and anti-town, depending upon opinion).
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Post by Budja »

@Fuzzy
Josh wrote:Additionally (for clarity), to me, anti-town != scummy
---
Josh wrote: ... my thinking was along the lines of "they've voted, now there's no more to talk about (or hear about from them)."
What are you trying to say here?
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Post by Josh Lyman »

Fuzzyman wrote:Would you say that's the case moreso than when voting for a person?

I can't say I'm a big supporter of the Josh wagon; fun things (scumminess) and games (anti-townness) can be different things, but it doesn't mean that there can't be things like football (voting no-lynch), which is both a game and fun (both scummy and anti-town, depending upon opinion).
Now, I feel we're getting deep into the territory of theory, and I'll be the first to admit I suck at theory (mafia and non-Mafia. Theory in general. I suck. Practical experience is mainly what I rely on, IRL and here.)

Having said that, yes, I feel that voting no-lynch that early in the game is scummier than voting a person. During the RVS, it is expected that we throw out votes randomly -- votes
of people.

Seeing a NL vote that early just threw me for a loop. Does this make me scum? I don't think so. (I hate to play the newbie card, but I think I'm still relatively new.)
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Post by Josh Lyman »

Budja wrote:@Fuzzy
---
Josh wrote: ... my thinking was along the lines of "they've voted, now there's no more to talk about (or hear about from them)."
Are you asking Fuzzy, or asking me? Additionally, if you're asking Fuzzy, are you asking him to read my mind?
Fuzzyman
Fuzzyman
Goon
Fuzzyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Post by Fuzzyman »

Am I missing the meaning of (!=)? It means, " is not equal to," right?
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Post by ortolan »

First vote count

Fuzzyman (3): Snow_Bunny, Josh Lyman, Chinaman
Josh Lyman (3): MacavityLock, imaginality, Budja
Snow_Bunny (1): jasonT1981

7 to lynch
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Post by Josh Lyman »

Fuzzyman wrote:Am I missing the meaning of (!=)? It means, " is not equal to," right?
That is my intended meaning, yes.

Also, the way you typed it, it resembles a nice warm teapot. But I digress.
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Post by Budja »

@Josh, you (no mindreading needed :P).
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Post by Josh Lyman »

Budja wrote:@
Fuzzy
Josh
---
Not sure how to clarify, but I'll try.

The first statement was actually an afterthought to two previous posts (my posts 9 & 19). I just wanted to clarify that, to my thinking, anti-town actions and scummy actions may not always be the same thing, necessarily. As an example, lying is scummy (and anti-town, but.) Lurking is anti-town, but not necessarily scummy. Something can be anti-town without being scummy; usually (generally?) anything scummy is also anti-town. Any better?

The second was what I was trying (apparently not well at all) to explain why I initially thought the NL vote so early was scummy. I've explained that it was basically a knee-jerk reaction, and now, thinking on it after a bit, it doesn't seem as scummy as I had first thought when I reacted.

To restate my quote above: Once someone votes (especially such a weird vote in RVS or a NL), this may tend to stifle discussion. Perhaps to the detriment of town. Perhaps to the benefit of scum. Perhaps BOTH.

If you'd like more attempts at me clearing the mud, let me know.
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Post by Budja »

ok.

1. The first statement was actually directed at fuzzy showing the flaw in his post. However I do agree with your expanded view on this.

2. This is what I thought you were trying to say and it strikes me as odd. Voting no-lynch is a mildly scummy action and would be a bit more likely to generate conversation that a random vote, not less likely.
Josh wrote:Once someone votes (especially such a weird vote in RVS or a NL), this may tend to stifle discussion.
This implies that the RVS is bad in itself. (Which is wrong IMO)
Snow_Bunny
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:46 am

Post by Snow_Bunny »

I think that voting for no-lynch is scummy, whatever it's in the rvs or mid-day.

And I'm not seeing how such pressure formed on Josh for those posts. I'm even more suspicious of Budja jumping in the wagon.
Taking a long break from mafia games.

In honor of Erika Furudo, my first scum win (Umineko Mafia).
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:49 am

Post by Josh Lyman »

Budja wrote: This implies that the RVS is bad in itself. (Which is wrong IMO)
Well, I personally can't stand RVS -- which is no great secret if you know me. Yes, it's a tool to stimulate discussion. In much the same way a sledgehammer is a tool for opening a walnut.
Snow_Bunny wrote:I think that voting for no-lynch is scummy, whatever it's in the rvs or mid-day.

And I'm not seeing how such pressure formed on Josh for those posts. I'm even more suspicious of Budja jumping in the wagon.
I know! I've become a very easy target of late. I know it's just scum trying to throw the spotlight off of themselves, but still.

Budja wrote:Fuzzy's post 13 also makes me a little uncomfortable. The whole thing feels forced.
I don't think 'forced' is the feeling I'm getting from it. However, I've mentioned my reasons for staying away from theory (I suck at theory).

For the moment:

unvote
vote: Budja
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:51 am

Post by Josh Lyman »

We need to hear from the following players, who have not posted AT ALL since the start:

@mod: PLEASE PROD the following, all of whom have not posted since the opening of the thread: 9 days now.

ConfidAnon
Netopalis
Grandi
Locke Lamora

NINE days? Really now. Four of you? Perhaps our entire scumteam is there. Not sure yet.
Fuzzyman
Fuzzyman
Goon
Fuzzyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:57 am

Post by Fuzzyman »

Actually, the mod created and locked the thread with placeholder posts at first. The thread was opened on the 4th.

I'm not a fan of avoiding things simply because I'm bad at them. Scum do that to avoid tripping up.

Vote: Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:08 am

Post by Josh Lyman »

Fuzzyman wrote:Actually, the mod created and locked the thread with placeholder posts at first. The thread was opened on the 4th.
I completely forgot about that. (I was going off the timestamp of the first post.)

@mod: Please disregard my rather premature request for prodding. I'll re-request tomorrow (Monday) evening.

Fuzzyman wrote:I'm not a fan of avoiding things simply because I'm bad at them. Scum do that to avoid tripping up.

Vote: Josh Lyman
Smokescreen. I'm not avoiding playing, I'm avoiding a theory discussion. All the theory in the world will get you nowhere if you don't find scum. Which I am most decidedly not. (Getting my doubts about you, though.)
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:46 am

Post by imaginality »

Josh isn't handling the minor pressure on him very well so far. I think more votes on Josh is a good idea.

Also,
Josh post 38 wrote:I've become a very easy target of late. I know it's just scum trying to throw the spotlight off of themselves, but still.
Josh post 38 wrote:All the theory in the world will get you nowhere if you don't find scum. Which I am most decidedly not. (Getting my doubts about you, though.)
Nice and OMGUSsy...
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:03 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Also, Lyman's post 39 is entirely "Hey guys, look over there!"

The fact is that Lyman went out of his way to point out that he was saying that anti-town is different from scummy, likely not realizing that he had used both to describe Fuzzy's No Lynch vote. I don't particularly care that he voted Fuzzy for the No Lynch vote. I care that he obviously manufactured his reason for doing so. Basically, so far his explanation is "No Lynch in the RVs is scummy, I mean anti-town, because it fails to give us information, I mean because it stops discussion*, I mean because it's different from what I'm used to seeing." He's twisting in the wind, and it's only page two.

*Note that Fuzzy's No Lynch vote was very obvious in that it was trying to elicit discussion.
Snow_Bunny wrote:I think that voting for no-lynch is scummy, whatever it's in the rvs or mid-day.
Why?
Snow_Bunny wrote:And I'm not seeing how such pressure formed on Josh for those posts. I'm even more suspicious of Budja jumping in the wagon.
Why Budja and not imag or me?
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:23 am

Post by Josh Lyman »

Whatever. I guess I not only suck at theory, I just suck at Mafia.

Lynch me, whatever. I'll be back in a day or so.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Hey, folks, sorry, I've been insanely busy lately due to finals coming up. Rest assured, I'm here. Analysis will be posted later tonight.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Fuzzyman
Fuzzyman
Goon
Fuzzyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Post by Fuzzyman »

Josh Lyman wrote:Whatever. I guess I not only suck at theory, I just suck at Mafia.

In my experience, this attitude is a scumtell.
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Post by Budja »

@Snow, I like early wagons. What the big problem with it?
@Josh, why vote me?

I like Macavity's post 43.

Fuzzy is looking better now.

---
Additionally (to the rest of the case), Josh calls for prods (a little scummy, diverting attention).
---
Imaginality wrote: Josh isn't handling the minor pressure on him very well so far. I think more votes on Josh is a good idea.
QFT
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by jasonT1981 »

I'm usually V/LA most weekends as my sig says. I will post my thoughts when I can think a bit more clearly, and can catch up properly tomorrow when I drag my ass out of bed.
Snow_Bunny
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Post by Snow_Bunny »

Josh Lyman wrote:Whatever. I guess I not only suck at theory, I just suck at Mafia.

AtE, not good.
MacavityLock wrote:
Why?
Unless there is a strong reason to go for it, a no-lynch is a problem for town. Not only town misses a chance to catch scum, but also gives scum a free kill. And thus, anyone who even suggest it (again, unless given certain conditions), clearly has not the interest of town as a priority.
Snow_Bunny wrote:And I'm not seeing how such pressure formed on Josh for those posts. I'm even more suspicious of Budja jumping in the wagon.
Why Budja and not imag or me?
What caught my attention about Budja is that this is the second time he jumps opportunistically to a wagon (first with Fuzzy). You and imag didn't just jump in the Fuzzy wagon, instead you went the right way. You gave your reasons for voting Josh. Imag just tagged alone, that's right, but it was the second time for budja. I'm not saying jumping in a wagon is scummy per se. But the second time just raises some suspicious.
Taking a long break from mafia games.

In honor of Erika Furudo, my first scum win (Umineko Mafia).

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”