Too Greedy <G6> PM Thoth

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:55 am

Post by mathcam »

rOver wrote:I wonder what happened to Fishbulb's money. As I understand the rules, that should be distributed too in this round.
Oh, really? I thought it just kind of vanished.

Cam
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:05 pm

Post by Fishbulb »

See? How do you expect me to figure it out, if you guys don't know how it works??

:P
[url=http://fishbulb515.blogspot.com/][b]Fishblog![/b][/url]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:06 pm

Post by Norinel »

IIRC, in some of the later rounds of the first game, the pot actually increased in size due to small bidding and big people making the high bid.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:13 pm

Post by mathcam »

Well, in this last round, to punish Fishbulb for being so greedy, they lit him on fire. Unfortunately, that also destroyed half of the cash. Too bad. :)

Cam
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:16 pm

Post by Thoth »

Too late for the last one. At least it was a quicky :D . Sending my choice in now.
Scalebane
Scalebane
Goon
Scalebane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:14 pm

Post by Scalebane »

May I join or is this something which you had to get in upon it in the first game?
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:05 pm

Post by MeMe »

Anyone can play -- each game stands on its own. The rules can be found in the middle of page six or near the bottom of page one. Just get your request in to Fishbulb by 12:21 p.m. EST!
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:45 pm

Post by Kerplunk »

So close, so close...
Has your mafiagame lasted for only a few days or maybe it dragged on and on and on? Check the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Records]Records page[/url] on the wiki to see if it is a record!
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:42 am

Post by Norinel »

If we're starting a new game, I was wondering if we could add some sort of mechanic to shake it up a little, like adding money to the pot as the game continues.
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:59 am

Post by Fishbulb »

Hey, that's fine with me as long as we all come to an agreement by Monday.
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:58 am

Post by rOver »

mathcam: You didn't mind taking $14.000 of PBug's money in the last game ;) Oh well, I guess I should not complain until I mod a game myself.

Here's an idea for a rule change: If all remaining players ask for $0 the pot is divided between them. This would make waiting a reasonable strategy and 3 player endgames a real fun. Of course we didn't get to 3 players since game 1.

I think we could change this without changing the rules, just by declaring that asking for more than $50000 is unreasonable and just Too Greedy. Of course you would still be able to ask for as much as you want but if all players agreed that would be extremely risky.
I think
that should be enough to change the natural limit of $100.000 to $50.000 but of course I can't be sure.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:40 am

Post by mathcam »

I kind of like the idea in your second paragraph, but I don't see why the third paragraph is needed. Why not just declare, as you mention, that if everyone left asks for 0, then they all divide the pot? Why dou you have to set a max bid?

Cam
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:44 am

Post by Fishbulb »

Yeah, I don't see the need for a max bid.
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:06 am

Post by rOver »

Why do you have to set a max bid?
That's a misunderstanding. It's not a limit. You are free to ask for more and take it. It's just an agreement between the players which can be broken without consequences. How does it work? Well, if you expect everyone else to follow it, you have no reason not to.
What's the point? Basically to make the game last longer. Now, most of us expect the highest bid to be around $100.000, as it was in the previous games. This means that with the 8 players we have on average most of the pot is divided in the first round and the new rule will never come into effect. Anyway, I'm not sure it would work, especailly since it's the first round and we can't be sure everyone reads this. I'm pretty sure it would work in round 2 though.
So here's another suggestion: The amount taken from the greediest member is not distributed in the same round but is put back in the pot before the next round. This ensures that there's always some money in the pot. Additionally an amount could be added before round 2 to make sure there is a second round.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:06 am

Post by mathcam »

I mgiht do this later, but I'm leaving soon, so I'll defer to someone else who's bored and is looking for something to do:

I wonder what the day 1 trends are. I would have suspected that the top bid on day 1 had been slowly decreasing, but then kerplunk went and took that theory and shred it to pieces last game. It's amazing how much a little collaboration could do...I wonder if it should be allowed. For example, if rOver and I agreed secretly to pick a random value in the range of 190,000 to 210,000 (accurately randomly), then as long as we actually do so, the one of us who picked the lowest is almost automatically going to win.

On the other hand, as long-term strategy, it doesn't work so well...because then people can safely pick 189,000 every time. So the new strategy for us would to be to randomly choose an relatively large value and then randomly choose wihin a 10,000 dollar interval around that value.

This stuff's great.

Cam
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:25 am

Post by Fishbulb »

*cue Reservoir Dogs soundtrack*

Round 1 Standings
(Bold indicates final amount)
:
  • $99,900 - Stewie
  • $98,887 - Thoth
  • $97,998 - Rite
  • $97,600 - rOver
  • $94,500 - mathcam
  • $94,000 - shadyforce
  • $00,000- Kerplunk
Kerplunk is out with a bid of $99,990.

$417,115 left.

Deadline:
Thursday 3:45 PM EST (GMT -5)
(...or when they are all in, so hurry up and we'll move on faster.)
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:43 am

Post by Fishbulb »

I must sincerely apologize to
tehgood
. He sent a PM amidst all of the bids from other players and I assumed it was just another bid. When I went through marking them down this morning, I finally realized he was asking if he could play, and didn't include an amount. I contemplated delaying the game, but with the lack of interest in this particular run, I figure we can get it finished quick enough for him to be in the next one pretty quick.
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:45 am

Post by Kerplunk »

Bah... good luck to all.
Has your mafiagame lasted for only a few days or maybe it dragged on and on and on? Check the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Records]Records page[/url] on the wiki to see if it is a record!
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:49 am

Post by Kerplunk »

mathcam wrote:I wonder what the day 1 trends are. I would have suspected that the top bid on day 1 had been slowly decreasing, but then kerplunk went and took that theory and shred it to pieces last game.
Woohoo! I ripped a Theory of mathcam to pieces! :) Now I know my destiny in this world.
(Just saw Matrix II. 8) )
tehgood
tehgood
Townie
tehgood
Townie
Townie

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:09 am

Post by tehgood »

I'm in :D

and I just bid with no actual logic behind it.. just seemed like a good number.

Lets see who takes this pot home...

tehgood
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:12 am

Post by rOver »

mathcam wrote:I mgiht do this later, but I'm leaving soon, so I'll defer to someone else who's bored and is looking for something to do:

I wonder what the day 1 trends are. I would have suspected that the top bid on day 1 had been slowly decreasing, but then kerplunk went and took that theory and shred it to pieces last game.
That's becouse 100,000 is a nice round number. Everyone knows that the highest bid will be around that. And people don't want to go much lower becouse the last few games were very short and if someone was more than $5000 behind after the first round they had no chance to win. It did make sense to take the risk of dropping out in round 1 becouse if you were too conservative you lost all chance for a win anyway.

I'm not sure about games with more rounds but I think the highest bid in the first game has a very strong effect on the game in one round games and the tendency is towards 1,000,000/number of players. There is a strong reason of going just under the previous highest bid, of course. You don't want to be Too Greedy. But if you go just over and someone else does this too you already have a 50% chance of winning. Now the best part is, that there's no obvious way to cheat. Let's say you expect that at least one participant will go over the previous highest bid. But maybe not only one participant but two or three. You can't be sure and if you expect that at least someone will go over it really makes sense to take a risk.

One extreme is the one round game where winning is practically the only in game goal. The other extreme are very long games, where the first round goal is maximalizing the expected return. I think these games might have a downward trend in the first round highest bid, especially if the number of players is sufficiently low.
matchcam wrote:It's amazing how much a little collaboration could do...I wonder if it should be allowed. For example, if rOver and I agreed secretly to pick a random value in the range of 190,000 to 210,000 (accurately randomly), then as long as we actually do so, the one of us who picked the lowest is almost automatically going to win.
I was thinking along the lines of $1,000,000 and $999,999 but dropped the idea becouse I found no good way to enforce cooperation. I think 2 players will actually try this but one of them will cheat. More likely both of them :P
matchcam wrote:On the other hand, as long-term strategy, it doesn't work so well...because then people can safely pick 189,000 every time. So the new strategy for us would to be to randomly choose an relatively large value and then randomly choose wihin a 10,000 dollar interval around that value.
The highest bid would immediately jump to the pot/players range so there would be no way for the winner to return the favour. I won't even start playing Prisoner's Dilemma type games unless the other player can prove that the game will go on indefinitely. Or at least he, himself doesn't know when it will end.
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:48 am

Post by Fishbulb »

Alright folks. Deadline is coming around in a couple hours. Missing half of the choices...
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:01 am

Post by Fishbulb »

Standings removed... Because I suck.

Correct ones to be added later.
Last edited by Fishbulb on Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:56 am

Post by Norinel »

Fishbulb, a bid of 0 is a bid to leave with what you have.
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:44 pm

Post by Thoth »

Hey, where am I. I send a pm to you Fishbulb ($44,876).

:cry: :cry: They just ignore me :cry: :cry:

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”