Too Greedy <G6> PM Thoth

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Too Greedy <G6> PM Thoth

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:33 am

Post by gslamm »

The FBI in cooperation with local police have captured gslamm. After brutal interrogation techniques (some of which he didn't like) gslamm admitts to being a member of the Mythical Reindeer Gang. The same gang that recently held up the First Italy Savings, Loan and Rib Shack - Missori Branch.

After further interrogation, consisting exclusively of Michael Bolton Cd's, gslamm has given authorities the following clues about the gangs activities.

The Rib Shack heist earned the gang 1 million dollars and they are most likely still dividing the loot. The gang uses an unusual and time consuming method of splitting the proceeds.

During each round members submit an amount of money they would like to take. The greediest member is forced to leave taking only half the amount they have
previously
taken. The rest of the members take their share up to the total. Law enforcement officers estimate their chances of catching the remaining gang members as 1 in 20 and getting progressively better each round. Any member my take ALL of what they have gathered so far by submitting a 0 take for the round. The last remaining member gets whatever money is left, Unless the police catch them 1st.

gslamm is in the hospital listed in critical condition after the latest interrogation. He is expected to recover in around 72 hours at which time we will have further reports.

To join submit the amount of your 1st round take by PM. Feel free to discuss the game in the thread. Don't be TOO Greedy
Last edited by gslamm on Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:43 am, edited 24 times in total.
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:43 am

Post by MeMe »

Sounds cool -- will you list how many/who are playing? And the rules say "up to the total." Is the total simply the sum of the amounts submitted, or have you a preset pot?

~
shudders...Michael Bolton CDs
...~
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:50 am

Post by gslamm »

MeMe wrote:Sounds cool -- will you list how many/who are playing? And the rules say "up to the total." Is the total simply the sum of the amounts submitted, or have you a preset pot?

~
shudders...Michael Bolton CDs
...~
The total is 1 million dollars -OR- until the cops arrive. After each round I'll give a list of who has how much of the stash and who's been asked to leave. ~wince~
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:57 am

Post by MeMe »

Alrighty, gotcha.
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:58 am

Post by shadyforce »

I'm not sure I understand the rules but count me in regardless.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
Totem
Totem
Saves London
Totem
Saves London
Saves London

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:15 am

Post by Totem »

Numbers games are good addition to mafia, working with the other half of the brain. /INterested in part of that loot.
[size=75]Saves London.[/size]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:17 am

Post by mathcam »

\in.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:19 am

Post by mathcam »

Sorry, what happens if all combined people try to take more than 1 million dollars? Are all the numbers scaled down?

Cam
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:27 am

Post by MeMe »

When someone's asked to leave, you said they take half of what they accumulated in prior rounds. Does the other half get put back into the pot?

Since there's only $1 million for the entire game, I'd assume it's quite possible that we'll run out of cash while we've still got more than one person divvying it up. Or is it $1 million per round? Also, if someone submits $0 for a round, is that the last round they get to play? Do they leave the game at that point or is it kind of like "bank" in "Weakest Link"? Man, this didn't seem nearly so confusing at first glance.

And winner is person with the most cash at the end of the game, even if they were previously asked to leave, right?
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:29 am

Post by MeMe »

And I'll probably resubmit an amount pending answers to questions, gslamm. If you don't mind, just delete what I sent already.
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:48 am

Post by gslamm »

Dang why do I have so much trouble expressing myself. It all seems so clear until I type it. Then it confuses even me. This was ment to be in the spirit of the smallest number game and prisoners dilema. Feel free to discuss strategy privately or openly by any means you choose with each other.

In the unlikely event of a tie both/all highest bidders will be asked to leave.

When asked to leave the player does NOT get the money they just asked for. They leave with half of what they ALREADY had the other half goes back in the pot.

$1 million for this heist. Though the players could go out and knock over a liquor store or pawn shop, for the next game. If the combined take for a round exceeds the remaining pot the take will go in order from smallest to next smallest ... until it runs out.

Remember the police are on the case. Each round I will roll a 20 sided die. If the number rolled is equal to or less than the round number the police bust in and arrest the remaining players -$0-.

Anyone who submits a take of $0 for the round or misses the deadline to submit a take has left the game voluntarily with all their previous take.

The winner is the person who leaves with the highest take, either forced or voluntary.

Alright what questions did I miss?
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:47 pm

Post by mathcam »

I hope no offense is being taken, gslamm. With games like this, there are always tons of contingencies that you haven't planned on. Let me try to rephrase, you tell me if/where I'm wrong:

Background:
There is $1 million to be split up between the mobsters. The goal is to leave the game with the most money.

Each Round
: Every mobster submits an amount of money that they wish to take from the pot. The person who requested the smallest amount of money will receive their share. Then the person who requested the second smallest amount of money. Repeat until there is less money in the pot than the next player's request (in the case of a tie, neither player gets any money). At this point, whoever made the last successful request (i.e. whoever was given the most money this round) is called "the greedy mobster" for the round as is forced to give half of their money back. If only one person requests money in a round, they get everything remaining.

The Cops
: At the beginning of each round, anyone still attempting to take money from the pot is subject to being caught by the cops. On round n, the probability of being caught is n out of 20. If you get caught, you are forced to leave.

Rounds
: Rounds will repeat with mobsters attempting to take some share of the remaining pot until either there is no money left in the pot or the cops arrive.

Exiting the Game
: You may exit the game by requesting $0 from the pot. Once you exit, you keep all of your money and this amount is your final score. You can no longer submit requests for money. If you are
forced
to leave by a cop, you do not gain any money from the pot this turn, and you additionally lose half of your previous money. The remaining amount is your final score.
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:33 pm

Post by rite »

/in

I'm digging this game.
Wacky
Wacky
Goon
Wacky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:25 pm

Post by Wacky »

Is it last successful request or largest request period?
e.g if there's two players at the beginning, A asks for $500000, the other, B, asks for the full million, is the greediest mobster A or B?

From the original rules I assumed it would be B but by mathcam's rules it would be A
...whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:40 pm

Post by Thoth »

I'm /in as well. I'll PM my amount when I've determined a perfect strategy.
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:03 pm

Post by gslamm »

mathcam wrote:<see above post by mathcam :P >
No offense taken. Since this is my creation I'll take all the responsibility of ironing out the rough spots, so I can hand over a smooth game to the next mod. Yes, I want to play in the next game.

Sort of. Picture everyone sitting around a table in a safehouse. They write their bids on paper and then reveal them simultaneously. The greediest is forced to leave with only half his share. Others who choose to leave with him taking all their money. When the cops find the hideout
everyone who hasn't left is caught.
Heres the order of actions:
  • Players secretly bid how much to take.
  • The player who submits the highest take forfeits half his money and leaves.
  • If there is a tie
    for the highest amount
    both players forfiet and leave.
  • The players who submitted $0 leave
  • The remaining players recieve their bid amounts. Smallest to highest until all done or the pot is gone.
  • If there is only one player left they take all the remaining pot and leave.
  • The cop dice is rolled. If it is equal to or less than the round number
    ALL players who have not left are captured and score $0

• If there is any remaining money in the pot the next round begins with the players who have not left.
Anyone who has previously submitted a bid may change their bid as the rules have been spelled out more explicitly. Really it's no trouble at all. Anyone still having questions please continue to post so that I may comment on them.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:20 am

Post by Norinel »

What if there isn't any money remaining in the pot? I don't see any reason why everyone wouldn't just submit $0 the next round and leave, so is the rule that that basically happens automatically?

I guess I'm /in, the amount I'm sending now will stay if there aren't any further rules clarifications/changes.

Edit: What happens if only one player doesn't submit 0 in a given round? Do they get all the money left in the pot, or are they forced out?
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:26 am

Post by gslamm »

Norinel wrote:What if there isn't any money remaining in the pot? I don't see any reason why everyone wouldn't just submit $0 the next round and leave, so is the rule that that basically happens automatically?
When the pots gone everyone leaves. End game. No cop roll
Norinel wrote:What happens if only one player doesn't submit 0 in a given round? Do they get all the money left in the pot, or are they forced out?
Good question. It could go either way. Let's say in this situation the $0 submitters will leave. Then the last man standing will take the left overs and leave.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:09 am

Post by mathcam »

The big problems that you seem to reluctant to address is what happens if too much money is requested. What if the following are presented:

Player A: $900,000
Player B: $700,000

According to your set-up, if you give player A half of what he requested, he gets $450,000 and then player B doesn't get anything, because there's not enough left. Thus, player A is rewarded for being greedy, which I thought was kind of the opposite of the spirit of the game.

The way I had it set up player B would get his half, equal to $350,000, for being the greediest player that actually got money, and player A gets nothing.

It's your game, so it's your call. If I mod next, though, I might switch it to the latter scenario.

Cam
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:28 am

Post by Thoth »

Mathcam, I think you have the order wrong.
The way your example goes by the rules as I read them is this:
before any money is given out for this round the highest bidder takes half of the money he earned in the previous rounds and then leaves, collecting nothing in this round. Therefore the 900000 bidder would get nothing if this is the first round and be out of the game. The 700000 bidder gets 700000 if there's still enough money(and will probably win).
So basically every round the highest bidder is dropped from the game and half his previous money flows back in the pot.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:43 am

Post by mathcam »

Ohhhh...indeed. I thought they got half of what the requested. You're saying they lose half of all the money they've collected throughout the game. Okay, I think I've got it now. Submitting my amount.

Cam
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:13 pm

Post by mikehart »

/in if theres still room
V/LA every weekend for awhile.

I officially owe Maruchan.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:14 pm

Post by mathcam »

There's always room for more in this game, as long as you don't take
my
money...

Cam
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:48 am

Post by Someone »

in

even though I'm not very good at these kind of games.
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:29 am

Post by gslamm »

Round 1:

Wacky bid $299,999 and has been forced to leave empty handed.
  • Player Take
  • Mathcam $100,000
  • Rite $100,000
  • Shadyforce $100,000
  • Totem $ 65,000
  • Mikehart $ 10,000
  • Thoth $ 9,999
  • Someone $ 9,999
  • PBuG $ 7,000
  • MeMe $ 1,400
  • Norinel $ 1,000
    ----------------------------------------------
  • Wacky $-0- Too Greedy
$654,398 left in the pot
Cops rolled a 5
Round 2 begins now Deadline 6am CST Monday

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”