Mini 836: Commie Mafia (Game Over)

Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Talitha wrote:Why?
Besides Sens, you've been one of the quieter one's - votes are usually a good way to hurry up that process. An active town is a good town.
le Chat wrote: hoopla seriously how old are you. also hoopla do you expect as much from me as you do talitha?
I'm probably older than the average age of users here, although I suspect that question was rhetorical.

It's really important to keep everyone as active and involved in the game as possible. Balance of input is super important - one of the things I hate most is 4-5 people talking lots and then everyone else having to post big walls of text to catch up. Succinctness and a relatively even spread of participation is key. This is why I like chasing lurkers, or those external to the central conversation.

It probably sounds like a load of rubbish, but it is important and makes future analysis of D1 easier, which imo, is the best place to catch scum.

Also, tell me your alt account here.
Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Post by Col.Cathart »

Peabody wrote:Just something to point out. I know this isn't much but examine carefully the wording of Cyberbob's post:
Cyberbob wrote:Gut, mostly. It
feels
like a
bunch of townies
getting really caught up in shaking their fists at each other
without anyone really having done anything scummy.
Cyberbob wrote:I didn't say that you're all townies, I said that that's what the argument
feels
like. I consider that kind of an argument to be a null tell. This may seem a bit contradictory but there you go.
I don't like your word choice. It "feels" like a bunch of "townies". If I were to take a wild guess, I could see how a member of the mafia could 'feel' that there is an argument among townies. Word choice is crucial in detection of mafia. Obviously, its not the best point, but something to pay attention to.
What's wrong with that wording? It's Day 1. Except the mafia, no one KNOWS anything, so feeling and thinking is all that left. Actually, now when I'm looking at it, I think it's completely opposite from what you said. Mafia member won't 'feel' the argument between the townies. A scum knows his fellows, so he doesn't need to 'feel'. He's the one who knows. Townie (what's wrong with the word 'townie' btw? Seems like a common used name for pro-town guys, so I don't know where you're getting at) on the other hand, without any knowledge, must use his guts (feeling) or head to analyze (thinking).

In short: Please explain this to me, because in my opinion, it doesn't make any sense.
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Post by Talitha »

I'm not lurking and I'm not being intentionally quiet. I'm a mum of 3 kids who also has a weekday job, and as much as I love playing mafia I just don't have the time or energy to post as much as some of you do. I have barely played any games in the last 2-3 years because of my commitments, but I still like to play every now and then to try and keep in touch. :)
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Understandable.

As a side-note, Harumafuji's posts are hilarious. They look like the end-result from something from Translation Party.
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

Peabody wrote:Honestly, I don't understand why my vote has to be "justified".
Brilliant.
Peabody wrote:It is a pressure vote at best.
And an attempt to find an excuse to move your vote away from charter in order to try and divert suspicions at worst.
Peabody wrote:I don't like your word choice. It "feels" like a bunch of "townies". If I were to take a wild guess, I could see how a member of the mafia could 'feel' that there is an argument among townies. Word choice is crucial in detection of mafia. Obviously, its not the best point, but something to pay attention to.
What, would you have preferred it if I'd used the word "know" instead? Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't be jumping all over me if I had. :roll:

Hoopla wrote:As a side-note, Harumafuji's posts are hilarious. They look like the end-result from something from Translation Party.
I honestly wouldn't mind betting he's an alt of someone, and that they're doing almost exactly this.
tread softly because you tread on my dreams
daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Post by Talitha »

Ohhh, I think you guys are on to something with Haru's posts. It was bugging me that they didn't look truly like someone learning Engish.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Looking into some of Haru's posts, I would say it is almost certain that he is using that website for everything he writes. For those that don't know what it is, it's a utility that translates a phrase back and forth between English and Japanese. Usually, because sentences don't always directly translate, it will come back a garbled mess. The simulation stops when the same message keeps coming back.

I've messed around on that website before - occasionally a phrase will reach it's equilibrium after one or two attempts, but this is rare (unless you type in a 2-3 word phrase). What makes me strongly suspect Haru is using Translation Party or something similar, is many of his quotes are already at their equilibrium when I run them through the simulation.
Harumafuji wrote:I was in the glass, you agree to these cute little girl.
Harumafuji wrote: I have an idea to offset the Charter Lynch. Peabody Charter please vote for my questions. We are all benefiting from the UN Charter. Peabody "random votes" is a cop. Peabody, the drive is quite right in the Charter is already voting.
You'd expect both of these sentences to return a series of amusing mash-ups, but they don't change. Unless Haru can come clean and explain what he's doing, I'm placing my vote on him for actively hurting the town by deliberately making no sense.

Unvote, vote: Harumafuji
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:06 am

Post by Cyberbob »

I like the cut of your jib... depending on Haru's response I might change my vote, but for now I am happy with my vote on Peabody.
FOS: Harumafuji
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:55 am

Post by SensFan »

So, I'm not intentionally lurking, just out of town visiting my girlfriend. I'll be back home on Tuesday.

Thanks for your co-operation!
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:15 am

Post by Hoopla »

SensFan wrote:So, I'm not intentionally lurking, just out of town visiting my girlfriend. I'll be back home on Tuesday.

Thanks for your co-operation!
Yeah, okay Sens. :roll:
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:53 am

Post by Peabody »

Col.Cathart wrote:
Peabody wrote:Just something to point out. I know this isn't much but examine carefully the wording of Cyberbob's post:
Cyberbob wrote:Gut, mostly. It
feels
like a
bunch of townies
getting really caught up in shaking their fists at each other
without anyone really having done anything scummy.
Cyberbob wrote:I didn't say that you're all townies, I said that that's what the argument
feels
like. I consider that kind of an argument to be a null tell. This may seem a bit contradictory but there you go.
I don't like your word choice. It "feels" like a bunch of "townies". If I were to take a wild guess, I could see how a member of the mafia could 'feel' that there is an argument among townies. Word choice is crucial in detection of mafia. Obviously, its not the best point, but something to pay attention to.
What's wrong with that wording? It's Day 1. Except the mafia, no one KNOWS anything, so feeling and thinking is all that left. Actually, now when I'm looking at it, I think it's completely opposite from what you said. Mafia member won't 'feel' the argument between the townies. A scum knows his fellows, so he doesn't need to 'feel'. He's the one who knows. Townie (what's wrong with the word 'townie' btw? Seems like a common used name for pro-town guys, so I don't know where you're getting at) on the other hand, without any knowledge, must use his guts (feeling) or head to analyze (thinking).

In short: Please explain this to me, because in my opinion, it doesn't make any sense.
I don't know, just the whole wording of the post seems forced. The post gave me a bad feeling in the gut. I did tell you all that it wasn't the best point. I feel that I ought to contribute my observations if I believe something isn't quite right, don't you agree?
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:59 am

Post by Peabody »

And I do agree with the strangeness of Harumafuji's posts. He seems like an alt to me.
le Chat
le Chat
Goon
le Chat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:37 am

Post by le Chat »

Hoopla wrote:
le Chat wrote: hoopla seriously how old are you. also hoopla do you expect as much from me as you do talitha?
I'm probably older than the average age of users here, although I suspect that question was rhetorical.

Also, tell me your alt account here.
rhetorical questions end in periods! :D and yes it was rhetorical. you must be over 300 years old if you have had a birthday every day since joining the site!

also, stop having birthdays every day and i'll tell you my alt. hopefully you recognize that le Chat is a persona individual of my main like hoopa is a persona who has birthdays every day. mew mew mew.

i dont find Harumafuji's account-imposed posting restriction to be scummy. i assume it was something he decided he would do before he received his role and therefore is just a Harumafuji-tell not a scum-tell. It seems like an easy lynch to push for, though. hmm!
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

Peabody wrote:I don't know, just the whole wording of the post seems forced. The post gave me a bad feeling in the gut. I did tell you all that it wasn't the best point. I feel that I ought to contribute my observations if I believe something isn't quite right, don't you agree?
So you might say that it... "feels" wrong?
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

EBWOP:
le Chat wrote:i dont find Harumafuji's account-imposed posting restriction to be scummy. i assume it was something he decided he would do before he received his role and therefore is just a Harumafuji-tell not a scum-tell. It seems like an easy lynch to push for, though. hmm!
I don't necessarily think he's
scummy
for doing it, I just really want him to stop. Having a person being so ridiculously hard to understand hurts the town.
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Post by mathcam »

Yeah, I agree that Haru's attempt at English struck me as odd...he hasn't seem confused by other people's posts either. If it's not part of his role description or something somehow related to the game, I'd go past "hurts the town" to say that it violates the spirit of the "everyone has to try their best to win" rule of mafiascum. Deliberately making yourself incomprehensible is frankly selfish and disruptive...though admittedly entertaining.

I think I find Coco's answers to my questions pretty satisfactory, actually.
Unvote: Coco

Cam
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Post by Hoopla »

le Chat wrote: i dont find Harumafuji's account-imposed posting restriction to be scummy. i assume it was something he decided he would do before he received his role and therefore is just a Harumafuji-tell not a scum-tell. It seems like an easy lynch to push for, though. hmm!
I don't think it is a scum-tell either - I agree that he probably decided to do it before the game, regardless of alignment. But faking a post restriction (of this extreme) is very anti-town, as it's basically one player slot we can't receive analysis from. For what it's worth, I'm not pushing for his lynch (yet).
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Post by charter »

I would like le Chat to give an opinion on something, anything. Best would be who you are most suspicious of and why. Another question you could answer is why haven't you voted yet this game?
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Post by Talitha »

Sorry, I'm only just catching up properly on all the posts.
peabody post 126 wrote:This is my first game where I'm not a replacement on this site. I wanted to experience the RVS. Also, I do not believe my "before discussion starts" comment was so unbelievable. The only events that transpired was the questionable argument back and forth between Vaya and Coco. Many of you have already said the conversation was useless.
You can't really experience the random voting stage if it has already passed. Forget what "many" people have said (and I would dispute that it really was "many") ... are you saying that nothing had happened by the time you made your random vote that was even remotely interesting, comment-worthy, nothing that made you even slightly suspicious of any of the other players at all?
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:19 am

Post by Cyberbob »

I would like to hear from Vaya
at all
, I'd like to see a response from Harumafuji to all of the recent stuff (preferably involving an agreement to stop using the translation site) and I'd like to see le Chat say something of value as per charter's post.

The activity levels in this game have been kind of disappointing, especially considering it only started a few days ago.
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:05 am

Post by mathcam »

A page a day is disappointing? I agree that a few of us need to step up a little more, but as a whole, I think we're doing fine. I'd also point out that
you
were the one being very dismissive of the earlier conversations.

Cam
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:52 am

Post by Peabody »

Talitha wrote:Sorry, I'm only just catching up properly on all the posts.
peabody post 126 wrote:This is my first game where I'm not a replacement on this site. I wanted to experience the RVS. Also, I do not believe my "before discussion starts" comment was so unbelievable. The only events that transpired was the questionable argument back and forth between Vaya and Coco. Many of you have already said the conversation was useless.
You can't really experience the random voting stage if it has already passed. Forget what "many" people have said (and I would dispute that it really was "many") ...
are you saying that nothing had happened by the time you made your random vote that was even remotely interesting, comment-worthy, nothing that made you even slightly suspicious of any of the other players at all?
I actually did comment on the conversation before my post. Please see my post. You skewed the details a bit.
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:31 am

Post by Cyberbob »

mathcam wrote:A page a day is disappointing? I agree that a few of us need to step up a little more, but as a whole, I think we're doing fine. I'd also point out that
you
were the one being very dismissive of the earlier conversations.

Cam
Yeah I know. I suppose it's because I've been more or less refreshing every few minutes, having had a lot of spare time and not a lot to do over the last few days.
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
CoCo
CoCo
Goon
CoCo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:32 pm

Post by CoCo »

I too was thinking Haru's posts were a little off. Not worth voting on at this time.

Vote Charter
, for being the scummiest of the three people I'm suspicious about.
Show
Record:

Town: 3
Power Role: 3
Special: 1
Scum: 0
Ongoing: 2

W/L/D: 3/1/0
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by Talitha »

Peabody, yeah, you did comment on the quick wagon in your first post (82), and also questioned charter's town read.

I can kinda see your first post as a joke-ish "must get a random vote in, before jumping into the debate" - but in post 126 you actually defend it and imply it wasn't a joke and it really was before discussion had started.

I probably would have unvoted you by now except for this apparent contradiction.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”