Newbie game 806: Game over (the scums win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by somerand0mguy »

HowardRoark wrote:@iPeanut: Yes, worthless was too strong of a word. Perhaps we'll agree that it's more effective after a scum flip.

@somerand0mguy: While in itself your waiting for D2 is not the scummiest thing you can do, it's not appreciated on this site. If you are gathering notes, why not ask some questions of the other players in order to expand your database?
Ok then,just give me a minute to read over my notes.

Vote count
(9 players alive = 5 to lynch before deadline)
(2) d3x - Zachrulez, HowardRoark
(1) iPeanut - Toledo88
(1) somerand0mguy - sigma
(1) HowardRoark - d3x

Not voting:
Dizzle, iPeanut, somerand0mguy, spiritMSTR

Deadline
: 16 July
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Post by somerand0mguy »

Ok I have two major suspects (but keep in mind that I am not completely sure,just kind of an educated hunch)

First suspect:D3X
Reasons why?:He seems to come off to strong and quite frankly I cant understand what he says completely,due to his large amount of quotes
Also he even knows he's creating a "fire"
Time to jump back in with some more fuel for the fire. Man I love to hear/see myself talk.
So he is either trying to get conversation started with lots of heat. Or he is a scum trying to get every confused (which hes done to me o.O)

Second suspect:SpiritMSTR
Reasons why?: He posts that im suspicious for not posting much,but then he doesnt come back even when blatantly asked a question. He has doesn't have enough content as me in this ONE post. And how come I'm the one being suspicious of lack of content when he obviously is acting kind of scummy?
HowardRoark
HowardRoark
Goon
HowardRoark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Post by HowardRoark »

I have no problems with most of your response. The only thing that I want to point out is
I am very clearly saying not to lynch him. "Do not push this over the edge".
What you said, the way you said it, sounds more like the way I interpreted it than "don't lynch him." Being that this is only your second game, I will bow and say, my misinterpretation. In the future, be aware of how you are saying things.

Speaking of which, what was your first game? I'd like to look at it.

Post 54 & 94 "reconciliation": I was encouraging somerand0mguy to participate and letting him know that he was actively lurking. Since, I have kept him on my short list and encouraged him to participate. That's how I handle first-timers.
I hope you are not advocating "chaining lynches."
Putting more words into my mouth?
I don't even know what that is.
I didn't say, "You
are
advocating" so no words were put into your mouth.
Chain lynching is setting up your next lynch based on the unknown of the player you are currently hoping to hang.
Point to me where I'm surprised or even lamenting the fact that I'm receiving a lot of attention.
Didn't say you did. There was concerned about "tunneling" and a lot of it was directed at you. Prolific postings often leads to much attention.
It helps me to find Scum like you.
:lol:
Your "town" gambit of putting Toledo88 to L-2 to draw out the scum is controversial. It also has apparently not worked.
Are you ignoring my statements just for fun?
I wrote:These are strategies that I'm making up as I go along... If something doesn't work, this is the place to find out, right?
No, just making a comment. (FYI . . . Per this site's "norms": Gambits are usually attempted by scum and town calling there play a gambit or trap is often frowned upon.)

Overall, I don't see much of a case and see this as more of an OMGUS. Perhaps a quick summary would help myself and others understand what you find scummy about my play.
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Post by d3x »

Gladly. Newbie 782

I know that you aren't completely calling my vote an OMGUS, only saying that it leans that way. I would actually say that if it was an OMGUS, I'd have passed over 2 or 3 real nice opportunities on others to do it. My suspicions are legitimate, IMO.

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible, without my
many
quotations.

1. A case has been built against me for misrepresenting. If that's scummy, then your misrepresenting is also scummy.
2. You are misdirecting. Bringing up Chain Lynching, etc.
3. You're not reading my posts and questioning things I have already pointed out in other earlier posts.
4. Your initial vote was limited and based off of parrotted information.
5. Apparent contradiction with how you're handling rand0m's lurking. "LAL" in your first post to "don't worry about it" in your recent posts.

Regarding the gambit thing, point taken, thanks. I'm used to chess and plays that are risky but come with great reward are commonly refered to as gambits.
Honest is easy, fiction's where genius lies.

GTKAS - d3x
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h
Pronoun: He

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:06 am

Post by Johoohno »

Replacement

spiritMSTR is replaced by Rashilul (effective immediately). Thanks!
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:44 am

Post by sigma »

Just wanted to respond briefly to my question before I head out of town for the weekend. I'll try and keep up with the thread, but don't expect much from me until Monday.
d3x wrote:
If you feel that I misrepresented you {scummily or not}, I am sorry. That was not my intention. When I read your statement, I thought you were asking for the RVS to be skipped. With that said, please reconcile these 2 statements...
In p45, sigma wrote:I do think the implication is definitely there
In p82, sigma wrote:I did not intend to ask for RVS to be skipped
If the implication is there to skip the RVS, you are the only one who could have put it there. Is it an accidental implication? Afterall, you ultimately just said that you didn't intend your own implication.
That's exactly right. I didn't intend to imply it. On re-reading it, I believed it did, even if I didn't intend it. I don't think accidental implication is exactly uncommon in Mafia.
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:47 am

Post by d3x »

Fair enough. Have a great and safe weekend!

GTKAS - d3x
Rashilul
Rashilul
Townie
Rashilul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 am

Post by Rashilul »

Ok, looks like I'm replacing spiritMSTR.
Rashilul
Rashilul
Townie
Rashilul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:55 am

Post by Rashilul »

From what I have read, d3x is acting pretty suspicious.
Somerand0mguy is also acting pretty suspicious.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:52 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Rashilul wrote:From what I have read, d3x is acting pretty suspicious.
Somerand0mguy is also acting pretty suspicious.
Can you elaborate on why?

It's helpful if you are more specific in your thought process.
Rashilul
Rashilul
Townie
Rashilul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:19 am

Post by Rashilul »

Can you elaborate on why?

It's helpful if you are more specific in your thought process.
So far it's just a hunch. If I had any real reason I would have voted. Dx3 seems to be denying stuff a bit to much and in pretty much all the mafiascum games I've read that's what mafia members usually do. Just a hunch though.
Toledo25
Toledo25
Townie
Toledo25
Townie
Townie

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Post by Toledo25 »

Sorry all for my sudden lack of activity, I hope on posting something worthwhile tomorrow. Also, welcome to the game Rashilul!
When you say mafiascum games, do you mean on this site (it's what it's called, after all)? Because it says you just joined. Or you might just mean mafia games in general, clarify please.
Rashilul
Rashilul
Townie
Rashilul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Post by Rashilul »

Toledo88 wrote:Sorry all for my sudden lack of activity, I hope on posting something worthwhile tomorrow. Also, welcome to the game Rashilul!
When you say mafiascum games, do you mean on this site (it's what it's called, after all)? Because it says you just joined. Or you might just mean mafia games in general, clarify please.
Games on and off the site. You don't need an account to look at them.
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Post by d3x »

Welcome Rashilul!

So I'm wondering. Townies accused of being scummy in the games you've read, what do they do?

As a general rule, I don't have a problem with playing on hunches, but with all the information that's been thrown out there, can't you find anything about me that backs your read of scummy?
That
I find a bit suspect.

GTKAS - d3x
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Post by d3x »

@rand0m- I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, I'm not trying to. Innocent question- is English your primary language? It's not at all meant to be a dig at you, but some of your phrasing seems to be a bit off and you say you're not understanding me very well.

Regarding the quote you used in p101.
-The fire I was refering to is the flurry focused on my play. Pretty much each time I make a substantial post, there's a lot of activity centered on it. By posting more, I'm adding "more fuel to the fire".
-The "hear/see myself talk" thing is a mild dig at Dizzle. He said that in p91, and I read it as refering to me.

GTKAS - d3x
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Post by somerand0mguy »

d3x wrote:@rand0m- I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, I'm not trying to. Innocent question- is English your primary language? It's not at all meant to be a dig at you, but some of your phrasing seems to be a bit off and you say you're not understanding me very well.

Regarding the quote you used in p101.
-The fire I was refering to is the flurry focused on my play. Pretty much each time I make a substantial post, there's a lot of activity centered on it. By posting more, I'm adding "more fuel to the fire".
-The "hear/see myself talk" thing is a mild dig at Dizzle. He said that in p91, and I read it as refering to me.
Yes it is,and so the feeling is mutual. We both just don't understand each other. And I like to wait untill the "fire" gets cold untill I put more "fuel" in the "fire".
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Post by d3x »

Kool. With that down, I have a few questions for you.

In p53, you said that you thought I was a townie.
In your next post {p89}, you said you don't have any suspects.
Not too much later in p101, you say that I'm your top suspect.

What changed in between these posts? Why have I gone from a townie to your top suspect in such a short amount of time?

GTKAS - d3x
Rashilul
Rashilul
Townie
Rashilul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Post by Rashilul »

d3x wrote:Welcome Rashilul!

So I'm wondering. Townies accused of being scummy in the games you've read, what do they do?

As a general rule, I don't have a problem with playing on hunches, but with all the information that's been thrown out there, can't you find anything about me that backs your read of scummy?
That
I find a bit suspect.
Like I said just a gut feeling. More that I hate it when people make long posts with tons of quotes telling of how they're innocent than anything else. Of course with my guessing skills your probably a townie. Also, I just got on today (yesterday?) so I don't want to vote yet.
Toledo25
Toledo25
Townie
Toledo25
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:27 am

Post by Toledo25 »

Sorry Rash, my mind read that as "played" rather than "read".

First, nope, I don't think iP is suspicious atm.
Unvote

why aren't you saying "Hey scum, can you please come out and claim scum?"
I forgot to right "seriously" in there. My bad.
Then my question boils down to this. Did you think sigma was asking {directly or indirectly} to skip the RVS?
I read his post again. He doesn't seem to.
Howard wrote:
Zachrulez (59) wrote: You say you don't have a problem with me, but under the very logic you use to go after Toledo, you could have used the same reasoning to cast a vote on me.
I dunno . . . maybe because he felt that it would be easier to attack a less experienced player and it would be easier for him to keep building a case?
Although this isn't particularly scummy, it did stand out to me. I'm one of the 2 SE, so you can't really say he might have wanted to go after someone with less experience. Zach has been in longer than me, but still.
Howard wrote:I hope you are not advocating "chaining lynches." Until we have a scum flip, I think that looking for linkage to partners is worthless.
Don't like that statement. It helps to make possible scum pairs before hand, to see who should be lynched, and who's lynching would reveal the most info.
My playstyle is that I wait until the second day to get evidence. And in the mean while I take notes and sit quietly in the back. Is that really scummy?
It's certainly more scummy than it is towny. Everyone else can only get a better read on you if you participate from Day 1. Also, it sounds like an excuse for lurking.
d3x wrote:These are strategies that I'm making up as I go along... If something doesn't work, this is the place to find out, right?
That statement seems a little like a default fall back plan if something doesn't work or is messed up.
somer wrote:Ok I have two major suspects (but keep in mind that I am not completely sure,just kind of an educated hunch)
How can you not be sure about your own thoughts?

Also, Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans! :D
somerand0mguy
somerand0mguy
Townie
somerand0mguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:39 am

Post by somerand0mguy »

Toledo88 wrote:would reveal the most info.
My playstyle is that I wait until the second day to get evidence. And in the mean while I take notes and sit quietly in the back. Is that really scummy?
It's certainly more scummy than it is towny. Everyone else can only get a better read on you if you participate from Day 1. Also, it sounds like an excuse for lurking.
I hope that you realize getting a better read goes both way,townies try to figure out mafia and mafia try to find power roles,and dangerous townies. I already know i'm a townie so why can't I get a better read on everyone.Last time I checked an active mafia is more dangerous than a lurking mafia.
somer wrote:Ok I have two major suspects (but keep in mind that I am not completely sure,just kind of an
educated hunch
)
How can you not be sure about your own thoughts?

Also, Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans! :D
d3x wrote:Kool. With that down, I have a few questions for you.

In p53, you said that you thought I was a townie.
In your next post {p89}, you said you don't have any suspects.
Not too much later in p101, you say that I'm your top suspect.

What changed in between these posts? Why have I gone from a townie to your top suspect in such a short amount of time?
So you're telling me that I cant gain suspects? Besides I never said I still dont think you arent a townie,I just think that I'm going watch you closer to get a better "read".
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:04 am

Post by d3x »

And a happy 4th to you and others, too! :D

@Toledo-
I'm wondering if you could give me your thoughts on a question I've asked you a few times now.
Again, I point to my example that we only had 3 people answer your question, does that not bother you?
@rand0m-
I'm not saying you can't gain suspects, I'm
very
clearly asking why. If you don't share how you came to your conclusions, we have no way of proving you as a Townie {lurking doesn't provide us with information and that doesn't help the Town}. If you have no problems with me thinking your Scum, just let me know now.

GTKAS - d3x
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:47 am

Post by d3x »

I am also a bit concerned that Zach's been kind of MIA for a few days now. Since Wednesday, he's only been popping in with one liners, while being
rather
active in his other games {as far as I can tell}. So Zach... what's the deal? There are multiple players that haven't posted in a couple days, but none of them have posted in other games, either.

Also
@Everyone without an Avatar
- Could you guys get one, plz? It's a lot easier to reference who said what with these. When we get all 3 of you guys posting on the same page, things get rough for the d3x. Thanks!

GTKAS - d3x
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:59 am

Post by Zachrulez »

d3x wrote:I am also a bit concerned that Zach's been kind of MIA for a few days now. Since Wednesday, he's only been popping in with one liners, while being
rather
active in his other games {as far as I can tell}. So Zach... what's the deal? There are multiple players that haven't posted in a couple days, but none of them have posted in other games, either.

Also
@Everyone without an Avatar
- Could you guys get one, plz? It's a lot easier to reference who said what with these. When we get all 3 of you guys posting on the same page, things get rough for the d3x. Thanks!
I'm here, I just need to catch up.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am

Post by Zachrulez »

d3x wrote:
Gladly. Newbie 782

I know that you aren't completely calling my vote an OMGUS, only saying that it leans that way. I would actually say that if it was an OMGUS, I'd have passed over 2 or 3 real nice opportunities on others to do it. My suspicions are legitimate, IMO.

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible, without my
many
quotations.

1. A case has been built against me for misrepresenting. If that's scummy, then your misrepresenting is also scummy.
2. You are misdirecting. Bringing up Chain Lynching, etc.
3. You're not reading my posts and questioning things I have already pointed out in other earlier posts.
4. Your initial vote was limited and based off of parrotted information.
5. Apparent contradiction with how you're handling rand0m's lurking. "LAL" in your first post to "don't worry about it" in your recent posts.

Regarding the gambit thing, point taken, thanks. I'm used to chess and plays that are risky but come with great reward are commonly refered to as gambits.
As I was re-reading the game to check on d3x's I did see HR accuse you of voting for Toledo over me early on in the game as an attempt to lay an attack on a less experienced player.

I find that interesting because I raised that issue in post 59, and you went out of your way to explain yourself there.

Also to your 5th point. I've had a look at post 54, and also post 94...

Yeah, that's a rather noticeable contradiction.

Also I see a subtle attempt to push Ipeanut into voting for d3x.

Unvote: Vote: HowardRoark
Rashilul
Rashilul
Townie
Rashilul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Post by Rashilul »

Vote:d3x
his bossiness makes him seem scummy. Either that or he's just a control-freak townie.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”