Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:31 am

Post by Mokina »

charter wrote:I don't think we should ask people close to a lynch for a claim in this game.
To be fair, it's ultimately an individual choice whether or not to roleclaim and at one time. If someone at L-1 were to claim ... say ... scientist, I hope you will consider validity and counterclaim possibilities rather than getting angry at them because you didn't
ask
them to.
"Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 am

Post by Mokina »

Mokina wrote:...whether or not to roleclaim and at
what
time.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:09 am

Post by charter »

Yes, that is true Mokina. But if all of us were to decide now that it's a bad idea to claim, then hopefully any townie about to be lynched would respect that and not draw out possible counterclaims. From what I gather, it's entirely possible that we have multiples of some of the roles or none at all. I don't want any "claim scientist" then "counter, I'm scientist" and we proceed to lynch them both.

Not saying we have to do this, but it makes sense in my head.

@Kelly, I meant that I don't think people about to be lynched should claim, they should just be lynched.
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:46 am

Post by Mokina »

charter wrote:Yes, that is true Mokina. But if all of us were to decide now that it's a bad idea to claim, then hopefully any townie about to be lynched would respect that and not draw out possible counterclaims. From what I gather, it's entirely possible that we have multiples of some of the roles or none at all. I don't want any "claim scientist" then "counter, I'm scientist" and we proceed to lynch them both.

Not saying we have to do this, but it makes sense in my head.
There's some merit to this. The odds are stacked against the town in the situation you describe. The next logical step for scum in the case of a mislynch would result in a guaranteed spread and suicide the next night - the outed fakeclaimer infects someone else, number of scum remains unchanged, and we lose the scientist.

Compare that to a normal game, where even if the power role is killed, the town would be able to take out one of the scum.

:goodposting:
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 am

Post by veerus »

populartajo wrote:/sick but confirm
The game has never been easier!

vote: tajo
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
-Fight Club
Shotty to the Body
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Post by Shotty to the Body »

I somewhat agree about the claim thing, its problematic for the PRs to claim when a counter-claim makes it a 50/50 lynch and then the liar kills himself that night and we lose out. Still, a 50/50 chance is better than just going down isn't it? If scum counter-claim they're risking a player which is (presumably?) half of their team. This is my first mini and we don't know how many scum or anything else there are out there. It doesn't make much sense to counter-claim either way because their very well could be two of the same power role out there. I like the idea of making a blanket decision one way or the other though.
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." -Confucius
Kid Know Nothing
Kid Know Nothing
Goon
Kid Know Nothing
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Post by Kid Know Nothing »

OMGUS!

You gut is obviously telling you something, it must be churning with sickness!

Vote: Kelly-Chen
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:09 pm

Post by Mokina »

Shotty to the Body wrote:I somewhat agree about the claim thing, its problematic for the PRs to claim when a counter-claim makes it a 50/50 lynch and then the liar kills himself that night and we lose out. Still, a 50/50 chance is better than just going down isn't it? If scum counter-claim they're risking a player which is (presumably?) half of their team. This is my first mini and we don't know how many scum or anything else there are out there. It doesn't make much sense to counter-claim either way because their very well could be two of the same power role out there. I like the idea of making a blanket decision one way or the other though.
I think this is semi-open (i.e. we know the roles, but not how many of each of them there are), with at least two scum. We don't know how many scientists there are, but that's actually a good thing. You're right about the counterclaim not making sense ... scientists have a much better option in this scenario.

Imagine another player claims scientist while close to being lynched and the town backs off. You're a scientist. What do you do that night if you decide not to counterclaim? You inject the hell out of them, that's what. If they're genuine, it's a logical course of action for infected to target them - gets rid of a major threat, etc. If they're a lying scumbag, they are now a serious town suspect and will probably make a suicide run that night. Injection will stop both of these.

But maybe there's only one scientist. And lest we forget, there's also at least one security guard out there (same counterclaim caveat applies - thanks, shotty). It's quite possible they will mercy-vig claimed scientists, because if they don't and the scientist is genuine, he becomes infected and we don't even know it. If he's scum, good news.

The moral of this story is that claiming your scientist role will get you lynched (bad), killed at night by a security guard (worse), or infected (we won't even know it until the endgame).
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Shotty to the Body
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Well if he's genuine he'd probably inject himself that night if he hasn't already and he could tell town that if he'd claimed anyways, so he wouldn't become infected that first night in a good world. Buys an extra night of vaccine, after that I could see the mercy kill on him. I can't imagine more than one vigilante (this is the term yes?) in a twelve person game, three deaths a night seems excessive, but I could be wrong.

Also I had a question for the mod, maybe he didn't tell us this on purpose, but I wasn't sure. If a Guard targets an Infected that is suiciding to infect another player which ability takes priority? Does the Guard kill him and he doesn't get to infect his target or does he die and infect still? Or do we not get to know this?
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." -Confucius
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

I'm glad you asked that. Guard kill takes priority over infection. The infected would be dead and the infection attempt would fail.
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
Shotty to the Body
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Xylthixlm wrote:I'm glad you asked that. Guard kill takes priority over infection. The infected would be dead and the infection attempt would fail.
Thank you! =)
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Post by charter »

Shotty to the Body wrote:I somewhat agree about the claim thing, its problematic for the PRs to claim when a counter-claim makes it a 50/50 lynch and then the liar kills himself that night and we lose out. Still, a 50/50 chance is better than just going down isn't it?
What I'm worried about is if both of those 50s are town, and we chain lynch them.

Mokina, we don't know if there are any scientists or bodyguards.

The bodyguard kill going through before an infection changes things though. My original assumption was that the infection still went through. Xyl's ruling makes it a seemingly impossible risk for scum to take. With this I think that claiming could be beneficial (though I still think anyone counterclaiming would be a bad idea).
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Post by Mokina »

charter wrote:Mokina, we don't know if there are any scientists or bodyguards.

The bodyguard kill going through before an infection changes things though. My original assumption was that the infection still went through. Xyl's ruling makes it a seemingly impossible risk for scum to take. With this I think that claiming could be beneficial (though I still think anyone counterclaiming would be a bad idea).
I feel like taking it on faith that all claims are valid would be a bad idea. The very concept that "scum would not take X risk" has WIFOM written all over it.

Good point on the semi-open roles, though - there might not be any.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Shotty to the Body
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:57 pm

I agree Charter, I'm saying while it may not be a bad idea to claim, it IS a bad idea to counter-claim as town since we don't know how many of each role is out there. You make a good point Mokina, but that's a case by case choice at any rate. I think I'm leaning with Charter here, seems like claims in this game could make it very messy.
PaperPenguin
PaperPenguin
Townie
PaperPenguin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:13 am

Post by PaperPenguin »

A claim doesn't have to be followed by a counter-claim, so I see little merit with forbidding it. The fake claimer would have a hard time making stuff up about his night decisions, we would probably catch a slip, but it wouldn't be as hard for a legit scientist. If a pro-town would like to prevent the town from making a terrible mistake, then by all means we should let him.

Vote :: fallen angel
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:56 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Vote: Poptajo

4th vote = obvtown. :D

BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Rally Vincent
Rally Vincent
Goon
Rally Vincent
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:45 am

Post by Rally Vincent »

As already has been pointed out, claiming scientist (wether real or fake) will either lead to being infected and/or killed by the guard (if there is). Claiming guard won't be effective either The only scenario where I'd see benefit would be two players claiming guard with one scientist, as one could be lynched and the other one vaccinated with the task to kill - but since we don't know if/how many power roles there are, I agree on the non-claim policy.
Show
The youths who frequent picture palaces
have no need for psychoanalysis.
And though Dr. Freud
is distinctly annoyed
they cling to their long-standing fallacies.
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mafia Scum
fallen angel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:42 am

Post by fallen angel »

I agree with the no-claim idea too, because claiming guard/scientist would lead to them being infected, and claiming technician really doesn't help at all; either people don't believe it and push the lynch anyway, or (if the claim is true) the infected have a better chance to hit a possible scientist or guard. No-claim is definitely the best plan.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:56 am

Post by Battle Mage »

why cant we claim bogusly?
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Shotty to the Body
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 am

Why would town ever want to fake claim? =\
unvote vote:battle mage
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:05 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Shotty to the Body wrote:Why would town ever want to fake claim? =\
unvote vote:battle mage
Haha, thats dumb. How many games have you played here?

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 am

Post by Mokina »

Battle Mage wrote:Haha, thats dumb. How many games have you played here?

BM
Instead of antagonizing, maybe you could show him why that vote wasn't warranted. Shotty - to give an example, a town protective role might fakeclaim bulletproof. Nonprotective protowns don't need to know who their doctor is, and scum are less likely to waste their time trying to shoot a NK-immune target with no other powers. In a closed or semi-open setup, a doc can get away with doing this and benefit the town overall.

These instances are rare, and protowns
generally
shouldn't fakeclaim. In this particular game, the only case I can think of would be a genuine scientist claiming test subject. There are no set quotas for each role (preventing a two-protown counterclaim situation), and it might just work as a nightkill deterrent. Test subjects are very clearly at the bottom of the infection priority list.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 am

Post by Battle Mage »

what about a test subject claiming scientist?

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

fallen angel
fallen angel
Mafia Scum
fallen angel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:19 am

Post by fallen angel »

That wouldn't really help, would it? There is only a chance that they are immune, not a certainty. If they are immune, that is a pretty good idea, but if they are wrong then it's just another infected player. Do you just mean as a distraction to the infected, so they think they got the real scientist?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”