Double-Headed & Speedy Deep South Massive public review

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:34 am

Post by Claus »

Raging Rabbit wrote:What do you plan on doing if people start using the 84 hour game to discuss the other one? How do you prevent this without disallowing the cross game meta thing (which seems both fun and somewhat inevitable) altogether?
Site rules: No talking about ongoing games.

GC/Adel: If the problem with allowing the player to revise his action PM once is the burden, I offer to take care of that burden.

I feel that if I were a player, I would appreciate being able to leave a quick choice in case for some reason I can't make it to the deadline, and being allowed to change that choice later. That is also why I say only one change of mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 am

Post by Claus »

Adel,

The tracker PM in the beta game gives the limits in hours, not posts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:04 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

So two games starting together with the same player list and very similar setups are supposed to ignore each other completely?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Raging Rabbit wrote:
So two games starting together with the same player list and very similar setups are supposed to ignore each other completely?
No, but you just can't explicitly talk about it
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:12 am

Post by Adel »

Raging Rabbit wrote:What do you plan on doing if people start using the 84 hour game to discuss the other one? How do you prevent this without disallowing the cross game meta thing (which seems both fun and somewhat inevitable) altogether?
Take a close read of my ruleset. certain things are allowed, and all others are banned. hydra with be able to talk about both games within the hydra, which should be fun. Scum are not allowed to talk about the other game in their QT thread, which I will be monitoring
Raging Rabbit wrote:Also, what's to stop to town from choosing two pro town looking guys (possibly with the help of claims) and quicklynching anyone but them?
the desire to win.
Raging Rabbit wrote:
Yes. I can't think of a better solution, while still preserving the "time" vs. "post count" comparison. Can you?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:19 am

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:
Adel wrote:now leaning towards 11 and 14 for the
7+ and 7- values.
Huh?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Yes. I can't think of a better solution, while still preserving the "time" vs. "post count" comparison. Can you?
No, but people will inevitably include the other game in their thought process about both setup WIFOM and, more importantly, meta. And they'll discuss it with their hydra partner a lot. Disallowing them to mention factors everone are will at some point take into account in the actual games is gonna be pretty awkward.
the desire to win.
How so? Maybe it's not the optimal strategy from the start, but I can think of many situations where quicklynching 4 or 5 people based on a predetermined order before the mafia have a chance to kill again would be highly beneficial to the town.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:42 am

Post by Adel »

PokerFace wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
Adel wrote:now leaning towards 11 and 14 for the
7+ and 7- values.
Huh?
for the game post based ability reset trigger. Currently the pms read "150 game-posts" which will be to long once the game is down to a few players.

the proposed revision I am considering is for the game-post based trigger to be (number of living players * 11) game posts when there are more than 7 living players and (number of living players * 14) when there are 7 for fewer living players.

another alternative: abilities trigger on pages 21, 34, 42, 47, 50, 53, 56, 59...

~~~

@RR the alternative (letting people talk about the other game in each game thread) seems worse to me. What if Player P is scum in both games, and his partners in alpha have been lynched. All three of them are alive in beta, and Player P's partners from alpha are townies in beta. Beta is in lylo. The temptation for his partners from alpha to out him as scum in alpha in order to win in beta may be too great. I can think of several other possible scenarios that would worse than awkward. Initially I wanted to let players in either game talk about the other game, but I've concluded there are just too many ways that could go bad. Most of you are used to being in two or more games with other players, it won't be too hard. (I've also considered not allowing players to talk about either game until
both
games are done, in order to reduce the chance of encouraging sub-optimal gambit play in one game in order to end one game quickly in oder to get better information for the other game. )
Quick lynching will be an optimal tactic at certain times in both games for every faction. I know that as scum I would definitely advocate quicklynching, especially those players that objected to quicklynching.
If you want to just flip a coin day 1 instead of playing mafia, that is your choice. Good luck convincing the rest of the players to go along with that!
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Guess you're right about the alternative being worse, though I'm sure cross game meta will be taken into account even if you prevent people from mentioning it out loud. In the same situation you provided, for example, player X could be alive in both games (or even dead in beta and reading alpha) and figure out P is scum since both confirmed scum in alpha attack him in beta for stuff he's done in alpha as well.

Quick lynching is gonna be a big factor and a constant issue of debate. I've no idea if it's gonna unbalance things, but if you thought things through and decided it won't I trust your judgement (until the game starts, that is :P).
J-Scope
J-Scope
Goon
J-Scope
Goon
Goon

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:10 am

Post by J-Scope »

This is Jahudo checking in for team J-Scope.
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:52 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

COMMODORE JDODGE CHECKING IN FOR THE GOOD SHIP FROG DODGING
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:59 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

That avatar sums up about how well we'll probably end up working together, heh.

-Shanba.
Zmd
Zmd
Townie
Zmd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:09 am

Post by Zmd »

See, you gotta be smart and make sure you have a partner who you DO work well with. That's what I did.

-Kmd
ZazieR + Kmd4390 = Zmd
populartajo
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
Alpaca Caliente

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:14 am

Post by populartajo »

Awwwww.
Call me Tajo.
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12894
Coming summer 2010: Tajo's Starcraft Mafia.
Tajo's MagictheGathering Mafia
Frog Dodging
Frog Dodging
Townie
Frog Dodging
Townie
Townie

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:20 am

Post by Frog Dodging »

Zmd wrote:See, you gotta be smart and make sure you have a partner who you DO work well with. That's what I did.

-Kmd
Pfft. That would be boring.

- JD
whoami8
whoami8
Goon
whoami8
Goon
Goon

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:24 am

Post by whoami8 »

you're not supposed to sign your name when you use a hydra

-EK (or am I?)
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Goon
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:26 am

Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox »

I have a feeling this is going to be the one game where Kmd breaks his meta of random voting Zazie in every game they're both in. In fact, I'll probably call him out for doing so 8-).

But yes. Awwwwww.

Re JDodge's stance: It's my opinion that my other head and I get along pretty well. Boredom should hopefully be averted by our wildly different playstyles. For example, you can easy tell who this is. The real fun starts when we try collaborative posts.
[i]"That's it,' said Zaphod with the sort of grin that would get most people locked away in a room with soft walls."[/i]
Zmd
Zmd
Townie
Zmd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:28 am

Post by Zmd »

I'm not planning to break my meta!
ZazieR + Kmd4390 = Zmd
whoami8
whoami8
Goon
whoami8
Goon
Goon

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:29 am

Post by whoami8 »

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be the one game where Kmd breaks his meta of random voting Zazie in every game they're both in. In fact, I'll probably call him out for doing so 8-).

But yes. Awwwwww.

Re JDodge's stance: It's my opinion that my other head and I get along pretty well. Boredom should hopefully be averted by our wildly different playstyles. For example, you can easy tell who this is. The real fun starts when we try collaborative posts.
^^^^^PLUM
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:31 am

Post by SensFan »

sex w/ shafteds wife club wrote:you're not supposed to sign your name when you use a hydra
You really should, though.

Otherwise you'll look scummy for not answering questions that were addressed to something the other head said.
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Zmd
Zmd
Townie
Zmd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:31 am

Post by Zmd »

Zmd wrote:I'm not planning to break my meta!
Sorry, but if you self vote, I'll OMGUS and then change it to someone else immediately.

All in the same post too.
ZazieR + Kmd4390 = Zmd
Zmd
Zmd
Townie
Zmd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:33 am

Post by Zmd »

Zmd wrote:
Zmd wrote:I'm not planning to break my meta!
Sorry, but if you self vote, I'll OMGUS and then change it to someone else immediately.

All in the same post too.
I can change it right back :D
ZazieR + Kmd4390 = Zmd
Zmd
Zmd
Townie
Zmd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:37 am

Post by Zmd »

Please don't...

edit: It's fine the first time. Like I said, I'll OMGUS and change it. But a second time.... Just... no.

:lol:
ZazieR + Kmd4390 = Zmd
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Goon
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:41 am

Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox »

sex w/ shafteds wife club wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be the one game where Kmd breaks his meta of random voting Zazie in every game they're both in. In fact, I'll probably call him out for doing so 8-).

But yes. Awwwwww.

^^^^^PLUM
Would you like a cookie?
[i]"That's it,' said Zaphod with the sort of grin that would get most people locked away in a room with soft walls."[/i]
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:47 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

I'll take a cookie. XD
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare

Return to “Mafia Discussion”