The Sixth Annual Scummie Awards (Now With Extra Nonsense!)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:43 am

Post by PokerFace »

Where did I even mention Kinetic? Heck I helped nominate Kinetic for that. All I said towards him was that I didn't just mean empking and SSK. Hell I actually feel glad I didn't win right now because I think I lurked too much at times. I'm always too busy in real life.

I guess I'm just underwhelmed with the state of play and things I precieve mafiascum to be in. In various games alot of people look to one player for and most of the time they don't have it or they are scum. Why are you trusting them? What happened to looking at your self to do the work? Where is the trusting yourself and perservering? If that one guy gets killed, what you gonna do? It feels like people are slacking in general as I read games. I suppose you can't be at your best in every game, but that doesn't mean you can't try to be. Don't even spend time enjoying where you are because you should be trying to take it further.

Maybe I'm not even sure what I'm saying but I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't be satisifed with just stopping so far. I'll try to explain what I'm saying further when I get off work if you guys thinks its necessary. If someone wants to throw this in another thread or try to decipher what I've got so far, they can go right ahead.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Well I think the state of play is great and there are a lot of good players out there. I think the site has steadily improved as time has gone on. When I went away and came back again I felt very stupid... like the play level had increased a lot.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am

Post by Glork »

PokerFace wrote:Meh, felt more so egotistical than joking but yay i do see how that could be funny now, glork
No, I was flattered that JD (or anyone) would really think such a thing, and making light of it. 'S all good.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Well alright if that's what you say glork
elvis_knits wrote:Well I think the state of play is great and there are a lot of good players out there. I think the site has steadily improved as time has gone on. When I went away and came back again I felt very stupid... like the play level had increased a lot.
And I guess this is true and good. But that doesn't mean it can't be greater. It doesn't mean you can't be greater.

I guess I just have and percieve high expectations for things that I don't think are being met. I think we can all do better than just this. And I'm not really able to fix or feel or be challenged by them right now. I've gotten really bored going through all this stuff in real life I have to to do and am doing it but I wish I had time to have fun and I expect others to well manage there time and skills so that we can move forward to something really cool

Let's fix some of the problems and not just dance around them. Its like we're trying to get enough votes on an obv scum and everybody is just pissing around. can I get a hammer here? Can't you post and pull the weight you expect yourself to give. The weight generally expected you to give. I guess I'm just not impressed. You can win by lurking and getting everyone else to lurk. Wow that sounds like awesome fun. Let's all slack off and do nothing. That guy will self hammer. Or you can win by getting off your ass and being somebody. And even if you loose, would you rather win lurking or loose playing? I think I rather loose playing then win by lurking or taking the easy way out. Quit taking the easy way out riding off of any success or opinions everyone else has gained of you. Take it further. "Hey everyone thinks X is town again. They always think X is town as any alignment." X shouldn't be able to get away with that same tactic everytime. I'm looking for some evolution. Wow a survivor win condition kept me alive. it keeps alot of people alive. Why can't it be more easily always seen through. It feels all the same and simple. Where is challenge? I want to see someone get away with a nk immune miller vig claim. Hell I want to see a setup where there actually is an nk imune miller vig. Let's destroy any meta we have and make this an ever changing challenging game. I want a crazy scenario where there is nothing and no one you can trust. Eveybody is a fucking Jester but no one knows it. I want the next game i read or play to actually be worth it, not I giant snorefest. I want to see a wagon with 7 guys on it with a cop investigation and i want to see them all unvote because the mafioso convinced them the cop was random or insane. Let's all kick some ass!

I think I may have gotten off course a little. Somebody send this stuff to another thread till i feel like actually sorting this. Call the thread Great Future Expectations or PF Ranting or And tell me if you at least got something out of what I was saying
Last edited by PokerFace on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Post by Brutal Assassin »

Another year, another snubbing.

But my orca posting did make its way into the scummies. Good enough I guess.
Belvedere
Belvedere
Goon
Belvedere
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Post by Belvedere »

Congrats to everyone who won! X3
"Too weird to live; too rare to die." ~HST
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Brutal Assassin wrote:Another year, another snubbing.

That was you? We put it in there because we thought BBM started it all... :wink:
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Porochaz wrote:
Brutal Assassin wrote:Another year, another snubbing.

That was you? We put it in there because we thought BBM started it all... :wink:
Nope. Just a copycat.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Yay even I know BA started it all and he does kick ass.

You see the Pavlik Fight, BA? That was good. Ohio rules!
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:12 pm

No, I missed it :( Was working. Big Pavlik fan though.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:12 am

Post by PokerFace »

Big Pavlik fan though.
That and orcas and ohio and the fact you are a humourous, good scumchat mafia player are why you kick arse!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:14 am

Post by PokerFace »

Back on topic

Who judges the scummies anyway?

Wasn't there a most improved award? It should have gone to Xtoxm if the award still exists.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:52 am

Post by gorckat »

PokerFace wrote:Who judges the scummies anyway?
I'd also be curious to see what the judges thought of the winners- what set them apart and put them in the top spot.

I admit it's part vanity/ego, but I'd like to know what worked so well in my game so I can do it next time. Was it a cool mix of roles, a good ruleset, the flavor, a good batch of players that gelled well, etc...
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:10 am

Post by PokerFace »

I'm not very observant
[quote]The Scummies, 2008

Hosted by:
mith

Judges:
CarnCarn
Yosarian2
Lord Gurgi
forbiddanlight
Porochaz
farside22
Vel-Rahn Koon

Thanks to:
animorpherv1
AniX
DrippingGoofball
elvis_knits
KaleiÃ
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:43 am

Post by mith »

gorckat, you are more likely to get that from your players; the judges do an excellent job given the time constraints and number of nominated games, but I don't think anyone expects they will be as familiar with an individual game as those who played it.

PokerFace, there's a reason the judging is private. If everyone who nominated someone that didn't get an award started demanding the judges justify their actions, it would inevitably lead to bad feelings. The Scummies are not intended to be a definitive list of everything positive on the site, and I think most people understand that. If you think a particular player deserved an award, letting them know and encouraging them to keep up the good work is a more useful expression of that.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:57 am

Post by PokerFace »

I know they are private and should be for those reasons

Why did we get rid of that award though? I thought it was a good award to be given out to somebody.

MS having fun games is important
gorckat, you are more likely to get that from your players; the judges do an excellent job given the time constraints and number of nominated games, but I don't think anyone expects they will be as familiar with an individual game as those who played it.
so I guess that gets it accross.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

The year I was a judge, a couple of awards just didn't have anybody nominated/under consideration that were up to what we thought the Scummie deserved. I don't know if that was the case here...
Retired as of October 2014.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

lol, I got mentioned because Skruffs ripped on me in the post that won Funniest Player. In my defense, the plan Aimless and I pushed worked, and after mislynching Skruffs for disagreeing with it so strongly it ended up winning the game for us. :P

Congrats to all winners!
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

gorckat wrote:
I'd also be curious to see what the judges thought of the winners- what set them apart and put them in the top spot.

I admit it's part vanity/ego, but I'd like to know what worked so well in my game so I can do it next time. Was it a cool mix of roles, a good ruleset, the flavor, a good batch of players that gelled well, etc...
Players are the most important aspect of "most enjoyable game." For some reason the mods get the credit.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

I really thought I had a chance at getting Best Supporting Penguin. *sigh* Maybe next year, if Penguins of the Serengeti doesn't take it away from me with her altyness.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Post by iamausername »

shaft.ed wrote:Players are the most important aspect of "most enjoyable game." For some reason the mods get the credit.
Even with the best player lists, poor modding can significantly detract from the enjoyment of a game, though. The mods deserve some of the credit, at least.

Still, I'm happy to accept my 1/13th of an award. :D
Mirth
Mirth
Congratulations! You are ...
Mirth

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Post by Mirth »

shaft.ed wrote:
gorckat wrote:

Players are the most important aspect of "most enjoyable game." For some reason the mods get the credit.
Cause you gave us alpaca sex and fruit defense strategies?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:16 am

Post by PokerFace »

Mirth is right. It was an awesome theme that was modded well.

Thanks to shaft.ed, I now know what a logan berry is.

And I also learned how to pick up hungarian chicks.

Lift with your legs. Not your back.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Thanks guys, but I still maintain you were an awesome group of players to mod. And I didn't realize that game started the alpaca meme. Thanks for carrying it on elvis! (it actually wasn't even sexual to start with)
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:18 am

Post by elvis_knits »

shaft.ed... I think the exact words were "Will you pet my naughty alpaca?" We all know that is code. :roll:
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell

Return to “Mafia Discussion”