Newbie 732 - Abandoned

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:41 am

Post by Actarus »

Tucking Fypo wrote:
Actarus wrote:
Furpants_Tom wrote:
Unvote
Vote Actarus

*Puts money where mouth is*
Go for it, but my warning to you is that once my role is revealed, it'll make you look VERY bad.
This post stands out to me. Seems mafia like IMO. What is your role Actarus?

Right now I have a midterm today and tomorrow so I am busy ATM. I have been trying to keep up with the game as much as possible.

If Actarus isn't lynched then I will investigate him.
My role is vanilla; nothing special about me.

Your right that my post can be seen as scummy, but honestly wasn't intended to be so. IF I'm lynched and my role is revealed, it won't make Tom look good and the town as a whole will be less trusting of him. In my mind, he's working hard trying to build comraderie and gain support; lynching me will fail to accomplish that, and if he is a townie himself, people will not trust his instincts for a moment. Hence the warning; basically "don't say I didn't warn you."
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:06 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

After some consideration, I now think roflcopter feels scummier than Actarus.

But...

I think that a large part of the reason is that roflcopter has just been attacking me, while Actarus has seemed almost helpful in his last few posts. So I think I'm probably being swayed by emotional responses I shouldn't allow to sway me.

I'm not changing my vote, but I will reconsider it in a few days.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 am

Post by luchs »

Tom I completed my other two in post number 113.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Post by Erratus Apathos »

Vote Count

Actarus: (2) orangepenguin, Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom: (1) roflcopter

Not voting: Actarus, Tucking Fypo, Honko, blizzire, Infinis, luchs

Five votes to lynch. Deadline: February 14
Do you want your possessions identified?
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

Why is everyone claiming day 1? We've had several vanilla claims and a powerrole claim already.and the biggest wagon is Actarus with ..2 votes. Wow. People need to knock that off, unless we decide on a mass claim, which in a newbie set up day 1 is kind of stupid. Well, not kind of, really stupid.

Tom, I must say your little stunt was really anti-climatic. I thought you had something, but..my trust for you has wavered just a tad. I think your intentions are probably good though, so I don't know what to make of that.

A lot of people's suspicions on people are stemming from OMGUS reasons. You guys need to be careful of that, and don't let your emotions take over your play.
Honko
Honko
Townie
Honko
Townie
Townie

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Post by Honko »

First off, thanks to Infinus for the answer to my question about WIFOM, and thanks to luchs for the tip for filtering whose posts to look at.

Using the filter I've now got a better idea of what I think of people.

Actarus - has made multiple posts that could easily interpreted as scummy. Whether that's the right interpretation or not isn't completely clear yet. I'm leaning towards him being scum at the moment.

blizzire - hasn't posted any content yet except a really weak response to Furpants' survey thing. He's posted several times so we know he's active, but he hasn't added anything useful to the discussion. Could be a bad sign.

Furpants - I don't agree with a lot of his reasoning, but he has helped move the game along and get some info out in the open. He draws an awful lot of attention to himself which would be very risky if he was scum or a power role, so I'm inclined to believe his Vanilla claim for now. He seems to have a neverending battle going with roflcopter that he started in his very first post, but whether that means anything probably won't be clear until much later in the game. He has said some very strange things and I don't really like his posts, but he doesn't seem like a good candidate to lynch so early.

Infinus - Nothing stands out about his posts. He's not being too loud or too quiet.

luchs - Same thing as Infinus, but I still don't like his quick 2nd vote on Actarus. Kinda funny how he got upset about roflcopter doing the same thing to the same target at the beginning of the game.

orangepenguin - Not much read on him. The only thing that stood out to me was that he said Furpants hiding information was a reason to trust him. It seems like the opposite to me. Can you explain why you thought that, penguin?

roflcopter - I do follow his reasoning, and I like what he has to say. I'm more confident that he's town than anyone else.

Fypo - His move and the reactions to it are interesting. It could work to his team's advantage whether he's town or mafia, and I can't judge him well off the rest of his posts. I'd like to see what happens overnight with this.

Actarus and blizzire are my top two suspects right now, and since Actarus already has the most votes, I'll go with the other one and see if he will give us a real post in reply.

Vote: blizzire
Honk Honk
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

Well, the reason I thought he could be trusted because if he had information that I figured would help town. He said if we did his little game, that'd he would share the info. I thought he was hinting at being a power role, and that he had valuable info, that could help us find scum. I am not sure what to think now. I think his information was just a ploy to get people posting, which may or may not be scummy. Eh. I don't trust him as much though.
Tucking Fypo
Tucking Fypo
Townie
Tucking Fypo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:32 am

Post by Tucking Fypo »

How is posting more considered to be scummy? The more that is posted, the more information you get.

I think that if you are a civ, then you should try your best to post as much as you can.

Right now I think Acatarus is mafia. His reactions are very unconvincing and screams mafia IMO.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:17 am

Post by luchs »

Honko- the difference was at that point no one was quite lurking.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 am

Post by Actarus »

Tucking Fypo wrote:How is posting more considered to be scummy? The more that is posted, the more information you get.

I think that if you are a civ, then you should try your best to post as much as you can.

Right now I think Acatarus is mafia. His reactions are very unconvincing and screams mafia IMO.
IF I don't get lynched (I'm curious if it'll go through), you're more than welcome to investigate me.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Post by luchs »

I sense people are starting to get disinterested, not that it is something I want to do but we may have to just lynch someone that is inactive, lurks, or appears scummy to keeep the game moving.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:44 pm

blizzire has been prodded.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Yep, it's gone a bit quiet, hasn't it.

A few people have expressed disappointment with my claim. Sorry; but I don't have many cards to play, guys. I could see the game lagging, not enough talk going on, and a fast and dirty mislynch closing out day 1 late on the 13th. I think my stunt has put the town in a much better position for day 2, and we've learnt a lot more about more than half the players in the game. I still think that - being realistic - our chances of hitting a mafiosi first lynch are poor; but they're better than they were previously.

I considered a few different claims, actually. I wasn't going to claim Doc, because that would be patently false - the doc would be certain I was mafia, other townies would probably think I was mafia, and the mafia would know I probably wasn't the doc. I thought about claiming Miller, so that the cop wouldn't waste an investigation on me, but that would have involved trying to convince everyone that the GM was breaking the forum rules by putting one in - which would be kind of a stretch. I'd pretty much be asking for a lynching that way.
I thought about claiming Cop, until Typo claimed it first. I decided against it because the real Cop would likely investigate me for nothing; or the Doc might waste his protection on me instead of using it on Typo, who may actually be the cop. I also figured that it would narrow the choices for today's lynch down to me or Typo; and a townie/probable townie lynch decision wasn't really what I was aiming for.

So yes, my competition was somewhat deceptive. I didn't lie; but I lead you to believe that I was going to claim something a little more interesting than vanilla townie. Sorry about that; but a) it worked b) lying at the end of the process would likely be highly damaging, and c) I had to do something to get the town interacting.

Now it's someone else's turn to get the conversation going again; because I'm out of ideas.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:19 am

Post by Actarus »

Okay, general mafia question for those that have played more than 5 games (including this, it's my 6th), so.

What's your experience with day phase 1? Specifically conversation-wise?

My experience is that it's somewhat rare for meaningful game-related information to come out. The funniest for me was a full-on role claim in another mafia game I'm playing right now (the theme is the Disney Cartoon Recess). Also, I'll admit that Fypo claiming his role was unexpected. Whether that was a good move or not will be revealed in due time, but I digress.

Generally if there's conversation going on, it's usually not game related. Again, in my experience. Once we get past the first night phase, information starts trickling down the pipe because we'll have something to work with. Whether it's a lynch / mislynch / night activity, there's something to go on to help put this puzzle together.

Also, because it's farther along one can read / interpret one's behavior / body language more easily simply because the game is farther along. Point of interest, patterns, lies, deception, etc. will be evident to some degree.

Again, these are just my personal experiences and I don't mean to make vast sweeping generalizations. Ultimately, I'm curious. So what's your experience like with day phase 1?
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:23 am

Post by luchs »

I have only played 4? this is my first game here though, however I have seemed to see the same, the site I played on only has ~15 mafia players, though and its actually another game so we see a lot more jokes, or people claiming someones worthless, and then the game proceeds on faster after the first lynch. So basically the same as what you said.
Infinis
Infinis
Goon
Infinis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Post by Infinis »

Actarus wrote:Okay, general mafia question for those that have played more than 5 games (including this, it's my 6th), so.

My experience is that it's somewhat rare for meaningful game-related information to come out. The funniest for me was a full-on role claim in another mafia game I'm playing right now (the theme is the Disney Cartoon Recess). Also, I'll admit that Fypo claiming his role was unexpected. Whether that was a good move or not will be revealed in due time, but I digress.

Generally if there's conversation going on, it's usually not game related. Again, in my experience. Once we get past the first night phase, information starts trickling down the pipe because we'll have something to work with. Whether it's a lynch / mislynch / night activity, there's something to go on to help put this puzzle together.

Also, because it's farther along one can read / interpret one's behavior / body language more easily simply because the game is farther along. Point of interest, patterns, lies, deception, etc. will be evident to some degree.

Again, these are just my personal experiences and I don't mean to make vast sweeping generalizations. Ultimately, I'm curious. So what's your experience like with day phase 1?
Im saddened I wasnt on this site when the Recess mafia started...I love that show. But I digress.

@Tom I already told the town my experiences of Day 1 and was accused of being middling and not saying 1 out of 3 people are scum.

I'll do a reread this weekend and try and come to a conclusion
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

Actarus wrote:Okay, general mafia question for those that have played more than 5 games (including this, it's my 6th), so.

I have played 28 other games, besides this one. Some of them are ongoing, but the majority of them have completed.

My experience day 1? In newbie games, nothing really happens cause the majority has no idea what to do. After about a month and a half of discussion, somebody usually ends up being lynched. This game has a deadline, so more discussion is forced. In general, Day 1 starts w/ random phase until somebody says something that somebody else blows out of proportion, and then the game becomes serious, and then everyone suspects eachother, lalala, and then somebody is lynched. The majority of time, Day 1 is a mislynch, but there has games I've played where scum were lynched day 1. Day 2 starts out good, but stalls. ALWAYS. Bah.

Day 1 is basically useless, infowise, until later in the game, which in that case, you look at Day 1, and you find stuff you wouldn't have Otherwise. Cause you find out more as the game goes on, and therefore, posts take on another meaning.

Like if Player A flipped town, you can read their post from a town POV, and look at others posts to them, and see if cases on that person were bad or not, and that can sometimes reveal scum. Eh. Every game is different though. Some games go really fast day 1, but burn out by 2. The game I mentioned earlier that lasted for months and months, a few pages back, started out super fast. The first two days was within a week IRL. But then the game sort of died.
Tucking Fypo
Tucking Fypo
Townie
Tucking Fypo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:58 am

Post by Tucking Fypo »

I find what OrangePenguin said to be true usually with mafia games I play on other sites. Day 1 is usually useless and mafia hardly ever get lynched. I was hoping that we could end Day 1 alittle early since this thing has dragged on already and we have seen a decline in posting because well there really isn't anything to post about.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Post by luchs »

We kinda have to now to get it lets settle on some to lynch.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

I'm somewhat annoyed that Infinis and roflcopter succeeded in shutting down the conversation that we had happening a few days ago; by implying that a) the information we were gathering was useless; and that b) disclosing just about anything, or sharing just about any thoughts was inherently scummy.

And if we're kicking off the "Who do we lynch" debate, here are some of my thoughts on everyone.

Having read through the entire thread; I don't think Infinis is as straight as I did originally. My original impression of Infinis came from Post 37, back on page 2. Having previously played under different mafia rules; I thought that mafia could talk by PM during the day, as well as at night. In that situation, people don't tend to make panicked, three line posts, because they have the opportunity to run it past their comrades first. However, that's not the case in this scenario, so mafia should be just as likely to panic if fingered on day 1. So Infinis is not at the top of my scum list, but he's definitely off the townie list.

I think Actarus is still a strong possibility, though he's done a good job backing off over the past few days. I would be happy to lynch him; particularly because almost everyone has commented on his guilt or innocence, and finding out for certain would make those statements a rather useful source of information.

I think roflcopter is another strong scum possibility, probably ahead of Actarus at this point; although I'll admit that his world-weary "I've seen all this before" thing and his fingering me are probably skewing my view. I liked his initial strategic questions, but he pretty much undid all that goodwill when he started trying to foist an anti-disclosure culture on the town. And, maybe, succeeeded.

I think orangepenguin probably isn't mafia. I think that the IC attitude that I mentioned in roflcopter was probably jamming my sensors here, too. It's not that I think he's definitely town, it's more that I can't find any real reason to suspect him.

I think blizzire is town, just somewhat annoying. But meh, maybe he's just rping crazytown very successfully. I wouldn't be happy to lynch him at this point, simply because I don't think it will give us much useful info.

I think luchs and Honko are finding their feet at this point; and I think they're both probably town. They're not afraid to comment on disputes, and seem to be actively contributing and trying to figure out what's what. I don't have much more than that. I have no idea if they're hiding roles.

I think Typo is a vanilla townie setting himself up to take one for the team. Or it's a ballsy scum play, predicated on the hope that there's no cop. Either way, we shouldn't lynch him, just to see what the mafia do to him.

So; there you have it.

In summary, I would be happy to lynch Actarus or roflcopter. I would be OK with lynching orangepenguin or Infinis. I would be against lynching luchs, Honko, blizzire, or Tucking Fypo.
I'd be very much against lynching me, because I'd quite like to keep playing, thanks very much. :)

Unvote
Vote roflcopter
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by roflcopter »

haven't had a chance to keep up since my last post, reading and posting tomorrow
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
Infinis
Infinis
Goon
Infinis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:11 am

Post by Infinis »

@Furpants
I think it's awfully interesting that the claimed cop, Tucking Fypo said he would investigate me or Orange. And then in your latest post you put me and orange penguin together as well. It's an awful strong coincidence.

And for the last time, I am not trying to shut down the convo, I am not dismissing the value of the information gathered. However, the only thing that is hard to dismiss as WIFOM is a vote. Every other comment or idea or suggestion can be explained away.

For instance what happens if 3 of the 4 people you are suspicious of right now turn out to be town. Do we lynch you?

It appears you are trying to help the town, again WIFOM, and Fypo has claimed cop, Actarus has claimed vanilla town. luchs pointed out how bad claiming cop this early is. Honko has played the n00b carb, blizzire is a lurker, Orange has some good analysis, rofl and I have already exchanged barbs. Where does that leave me? Ill wait for roflcopter's next post before voting.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Vote Count

Actarus: (1) orangepenguin
Furpants_Tom: (1) roflcopter
blizzire: (1) Honko
roflcopter: (1) Furpants_Tom

Not voting: Actarus, Tucking Fypo, blizzire, Infinis, luchs

Five votes to lynch. Deadline: February 14

Looking for a blizzire replacement. Honko has been prodded.
Honko
Honko
Townie
Honko
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Post by Honko »

We've got a little under a week left, and it looks like we haven't come to any kind of agreement. We have 4 people with 1 vote on each of them.

What does everyone think about the 4 guys with votes on them. If you had to pick one of them to lynch, which would it be?

I've already stated my thoughts...Actarus is fishy, Furpants is annoying but productive, blizzire is too quiet, and roflcopter looks like the most helpful townie to me.

In the interest of moving things along...

Unvote

Vote: Actarus
Honk Honk
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Post by luchs »

I'd do blizzire, it would save the need for the replacement.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”